The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 356, 357, 358, 359, 360, 361, 362 ... 913
Online now: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]
The only way that would be nifty is if the record was anOST and the label was the clock face.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
justine Elitist Beer Lover
The houseboat my coworker stayed on when he went to India.

houseboat.jpg
Kirk posted:
oooh nice

ALMOST makes me want to go to India, and then i remember all the crimes against women and girls and say fiddlesticks that.
radarman posted:

That's pretty cool!
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Graphic doesn't show the fun part.
justine posted:
Kirk posted:
oooh nice

ALMOST makes me want to go to India, and then i remember all the crimes against women and girls and say fiddlesticks that.

"Never get out of the boat"
user Stupid cockwomble
ukimalefu posted:
Graphic doesn't show the fun part.

Sounds like my sex-ed class.
TOS
kids, you'll eat your placenta and like it! now who wants some umbilical?

Gangsta's paradise huh?
I hope that's just a photoshop because otherwise you see human waste like that and don't even have to wonder, might as well just a big L tattoo on your forehead while you're at it.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Quick! Shoot that thing off his head, before it hurts him!
user Stupid cockwomble
TOS
Kirk posted:

why not, it worked for the french (and soviets)

though really, i don't see the point of sending humans to venus, the place is insanely hostile to life
TOS posted:
Kirk posted:

though really, i don't see the point of sending humans to venus, the place is insanely hostile to life

Women are from Venus.
TOS
ukimalefu posted:
TOS posted:
Kirk posted:

Women are from Venus.

not from unranus?
user Stupid cockwomble
TOS posted:

I read a hard sci-fi story about a landing on venus. Yeesh.

Floating above all that pressure and heat would be the only way humans could come even close to being there. I guess if they send probes down it would be like a floating laboratory.
Beyond the practice for interplanetary travel, I don't seem much reason to go to Venus either. Since Venus is quite a bit closer, that would make the practice safer than trying for Mars right off.

Last edited by Kirk on Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:03 pm.

user posted:
TOS posted:

I read a hard sci-fi story about a landing on venus. Yeesh.

Floating above all that pressure and heat would be the only way humans could come even close to being there. I guess if they send probes down it would be like a floating laboratory.

TOS
Kirk posted:
Beyond the practice for interplanetary travel, I don't seem much reason to go to Venus either. Since Venus is quite a bit closer, that would make the practice safer than trying for Mars right off.

and of course just to complicate things, venus doesn't have a magnetic field -- even mars has one
chikie The same deviled egg
TOS posted:
Kirk posted:

and of course just to complicate things, venus doesn't have a magnetic field -- even mars has one

Mars doesn't have a magnetosphere. Mercury is the only other terrestrial planet with a magnetic field.
dv
The meat at the top is warm meat.
Mustapha Mond Daring to be stupid
Kirk posted:

The video at the link is too intense to be taken seriously.

Semi-related: Is it impossible to enter a planet's atmosphere without the fireball effect? Like, what if you did it really, really slowly?
dv
Mustapha Mond posted:
Kirk posted:

The video at the link is too intense to be taken seriously.

Semi-related: Is it impossible to enter a planet's atmosphere without the fireball effect? Like, what if you did it really, really slowly?

Sure.

The problem is slowing down. Atmospheres are free and are very good at slowing you down, fireballs notwithstanding. Slowing down before you hit it means bringing up even more rockets and fuel.
TOS
chikie posted:
TOS posted:
Kirk posted:

Mars doesn't have a magnetosphere. Mercury is the only other terrestrial planet with a magnetic field.

really? hm, i thought mars did have a weak one

my bad
TOS
TOS
i said break it up!!!

TOS posted:
boom!

It appears to be just snow that was broken off the top of that truck? That'd scare me regardless.
This'll be neat if they can pull it off.
user Stupid cockwomble
I'd assumed they had declared the Pole neutral, like they did the South.
TOS posted:
Kirk posted:

Yeah, but the thicker atmosphere compensates, assuming we're talking about radiation exposure here? That article I linked to says the radiation dosage at probable dirigible height on Venus is about a tenth that at the surface of Mars.

I thought you were right about Mars having a weak magnetic field. Though checking Wikipedia it apparently does not. Though some rocks retain evidence of an early planetary field that has since disappeared. Perhaps the iron core froze solid.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars

Last edited by Kirk on Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:06 am.

user posted:
I'd assumed they had declared the Pole neutral, like they did the South.
I believe Geesie discussed that sometime back and said its indeed international waters. That does not preclude these nations from posturing in the hope of changing maritime law. ;)
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 356, 357, 358, 359, 360, 361, 362 ... 913