The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 274, 275, 276, 277, 278, 279, 280 ... 913
Online now: Google [Bot]
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Nice uki.

There's another dead whale near Point Loma, CA.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
TOS
Geesie posted:

lol
TOS
that is awesome
sean Royal Wombat
ukimalefu posted:

That's .... ... Strangely intriguing. ....kind of... want. ...kind of.
radarman posted:

I like that
radarman posted:

whoa
Sean posted:
ukimalefu posted:

That's .... ... Strangely intriguing. ....kind of... want. ...kind of.

Yeah, looks "interesting", but I'm not sure about its safety, you know, impact resistance.

Kirk?
Elegant but overly complex and likely to be a reliability problem. A complex mechanism stowing the door underneath the car? Where all that road dirt and salt collect? Subject to rocks and other things denting the mechanism? Bad idea

Last edited by Kirk on Fri May 23, 2014 11:41 pm.

I've driven this stretch of the I-10. The moral of the story is to get (far) off the damn road if you're going to stop.

Dust storms "may exist"

::cue dramatic music::
An aluminum body vehicle finally making it to mainstream. Huzzah.
I had a hard time tracking down which aluminum alloys Ford is using. All I could find mentioned are 6000 Series and 5000 Series. There's a lot of options in those two series. All will have good to excellent corrosion resistance. I'm going to hazard a guess they're probably using 5032 or 5038 for the body panels. Those form easily and would have nice surface finish for painting. They're probably using 6061 or 6063 for the structure as they can be solution treated for high strength (relative to other aluminum alloys of course). If they need to do any brazing to join panels, the 3000 series alloys would work nicely.

Kirk posted:
I've driven this stretch of the I-10. The moral of the story is to get (far) off the damn road if you're going to stop.

It's not just dust storms you have to watch out for. When I was just starting my freshman year of college, a sudden fog bank rolled in over I-40 between Little Rock and Conway. Apparently it all started when a compact car slammed on their brakes, not thinking about the dozen or so tractor trailer rigs behind them.

By the time we got through, they had cleared most of the debris and started burying a couple dozen head of cattle in the median. We found out later that they found a minivan in the wreckage. It took a while, because it had been between two of the rigs (both of which burned to the ground). The occupants were identified through the VIN on their vehicle and dental records because there wasn't enough left of them to scrape into a Sucrets box (almost literally)
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
Yeah, these aluminum alloys are a Group IV weldment. Everything changes.
So I expect lots of brazing instead.
don't care what it is made of or if it's fueled by the tears of dying baby seals.

That's a giant stick fiddling ugly monster.

If Godzilla saw it, he would avoid stepping on it because of how ugly it is.
TOS
"i'm afraid there's a problem, officer"

TOS
kinda looks like a hot wheels track

Kirk posted:
Yeah, these aluminum alloys are a Group IV weldment. Everything changes.
So I expect lots of brazing instead.

There are already a lot of aluminum hoods and such, very little repair to them. It's more if the dent is bad enough you replace the entire thing.
TOS
sony was awesome in the 80s

man, what happened to them
Orion Mad Cow
radarman posted:

I have several of those. Fire melts the retainer holding the spring arm back and the arm shatters the bottom of the glass stem under the globe, dumping the contents on the fire. When they put our new furnace in back in 2003, one of the guys working on it smacked it with his head and broke the one hanging above the old furnace, dumping it all down his back. He tore off his coat and shirt and ran outside and rolled in the snow because he didn't know what chemicals may be in it. They called poison control and they told my dad to evacuate the house until they could figure it out. They finally said it was probably alcohol and water and not to worry about it. After making my 95 year old grandma sit outside in the cold for over an hour, of course... :worriedfrown:
I believe those things were intended to be thrown into the base of a fire. They contained CTC or carbon tetrachloride, which is, in fact, fairly toxic.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
TOS posted:

They started treating their customers like criminals instead of producing better products.
mmaverick posted:
TOS posted:

They started treating their customers like criminals instead of producing better products.

They bought what became Sony Studios. Their electronics division pretty much went to crap after that got fully integrated. Seriously, if they had stuck with providing decent equipment, instead of kowtowing to the studio side of the house, they would probably still be on top, if from brand recognition alone.
TOS
radarman posted:
mmaverick posted:
TOS posted:

They bought what became Sony Studios. Their electronics division pretty much went to crap after that got fully integrated. Seriously, if they had stuck with providing decent equipment, instead of kowtowing to the studio side of the house, they would probably still be on top, if from brand recognition alone.

yeah i think that was the deciding factor ... they never should have bought that studio

also their obsession with going all apple with their own ecosystem but being completely useless with software
TOS
I thought they lost those...
juice Inadvertently correct
I don't see any curse words.
agedgruel posted:
I don't see any curse words.

Just add "stick fiddling" in front of everything.

"stick fiddling" if you want to read it in Samuel L Jackson's voice.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 274, 275, 276, 277, 278, 279, 280 ... 913