The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270, 271 ... 913
Online now: Google [Bot]
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Somebody is going to cut his head off.
I thought it was going to be an enigma machine or something like that.
user Stupid cockwomble
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I call " 'shopped "on this one ...
DukeofNuke posted:
I call " 'shopped "on this one ...

Good call. ;)

All three drivers are knuckleheads. When you see something like that going down, the correct response is to get out of the way. Still, nice maneuvering around the moron at the end.
user Stupid cockwomble
radarman posted:

All three drivers are knuckleheads. When you see something like that going down, the correct response is to get out of the way. Still, nice maneuvering around the moron at the end.

Seems to me he went the only way that he could to get around cars sliding and tumbling across the entire road while also avoiding large chunks of debris.
What I don't see is any indication he locked up his breaks in the early part of the video to avoid these people. He pulled a slalom run.

And that guy who was ejected from his vehicle is lucky to be in one piece (a no seat belt idiot) and apparently only suffering a bad case of road rash.
user Stupid cockwomble
Well, you wouldn't want to lock up your brakes. Looked like a situation where you couldn't be sure where the cars where going to go and had to think fast.
Slowing down precipitously would be a good first move when two cars in front of oneself look to be colliding. It looks like the driver didn't seriously start slowing down until he had to swerve to miss the first car. Antilock brakes probably helped him there immensely.
chikie The same deviled egg
user posted:
Well, you wouldn't want to lock up your brakes. Looked like a situation where you couldn't be sure where the cars where going to go and had to think fast.

Hard braking is definitely the safest course of action. The cars aren't going to somehow reverse direction in the course of a collision.
user Stupid cockwomble
They both went in opposite directions. And we can't see what was behind him.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
Indeed. Slamming on your brakes on the highway is a pretty good way to get dead. Should the douche behind you be so close? no. Is the douche behind you ALWAYS too close? pretty much.
Slamming on the brakes? No. Slowing down? Yes. I couldn't detect any appreciable change in the photographing vehicle's speed until the very end.

No way to know if the left lane was blocked, but if it wasn't, I'd be moving over a touch as well to avoid the debris.
user Stupid cockwomble
I always assume that someone's right beside me and someone else is on my tail.
TOS
the whole thing only lasted a few seconds, it's hard to second guess someone under those circumstances

i do notice both shoulders were out of the question, with those cars all over the damn place ... i guess i might have taken my foot off the gas in hopes of threading the needle, which is what the driver did (pulling over as soon as possible)

these clips make me think we should start using dash cams here too
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
TOS
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I totally want this sign!

sign.jpg
Kirk posted:
Tar Lily

Isn't that from a James Cameron movie? or is The Abyss real?
ukimalefu posted:
Kirk posted:
Tar Lily

James Cameron has used either real, or very close to real, technology in his movies for a while. The only thing in the Abyss (besides the aliens) that didn't actually exist was the drilling rig itself. Even there, the technology exists, it's just easier to have the people on the surface using robots.
justine posted:

sign.jpg

Hey, I like that one too ;)
except I do enjoy a visit from the local politicians stumping for office.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Kirk posted:
justine posted:

sign.jpg

Hey, I like that one too ;)
except I do enjoy a visit from the local politicians stumping for office.

We never get politicians here, but we get the church people about once every couple of months.
TOS
we get realtors

realtors, realtors, realtors
radarman posted:
ukimalefu posted:
Kirk posted:
Tar Lily

James Cameron has used either real, or very close to real, technology in his movies for a while. The only thing in the Abyss (besides the aliens) that didn't actually exist was the drilling rig itself. Even there, the technology exists, it's just easier to have the people on the surface using robots.

I don't mean the tech, I mean that thing at the bottom of the sea! Maybe the kaijus are coming!
Did you click on the image? Its a link describing how that tar lily occurred.
Kirk posted:
Did you click on the image? Its a link describing how that tar lily occurred.

Quote:
The presence of chemosynthetic tube worms at the site led scientists to believe that there was more to this site than what we could see

DUHN DUHN DUUUHNNN!!!!

(I did read the article. Let me make my bad geeky jokes)
oh ok nevermind . . .

Last edited by maurvir on Thu May 01, 2014 7:41 pm.

Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
what kind of kinky sex toy is that?
Mustapha Mond Daring to be stupid
If you have to ask you're too young to know...? Maybe?
user Stupid cockwomble
radarman posted:

fusor.net - Holy fiddlesticks, a new world just opened up to me.

Not that I'll build one, all I can manage to do is make lame coffee ground/Mr. Fusion jokes.
OK, so deuterium bleed, vacuum chamber and pump, high voltage arc source . . . uhhh where's the massive containment system?
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270, 271 ... 913