"Digital ads are starting to feel psychic"

Online now: No visible users
Source.

Funny, I've never felt this way but then I try to protect myself.

By far most of my web browsing is on my MBP using Firefox with JavaScript completely disabled (at least as far as I can determine). I have ad suppression on both Firefox and Safari (which I use when JavaScript is required such as with YouTube).

I never have had accounts on Facebook or Instagram. Anything you might see there (or practically anywhere else with only a handful of exceptions) with my name here or my real name are NOT mine. I'll note that while my real name is particularly uncommon, I happen to know that there are at least 2 other people in California who at least share my first and last name.

The only times I have activated Safari on my iPhone have been by accident (clicking on a link in a txt or e-book). I use the general rule when out and about of "if this bit of information is THAT important, I'll remember to search for it when I get home" (I have never done that).
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
I'm wasted because none of these AI's can figure out what I want and then sell it to me.
Donkey Butter jerk face
I've seen this happen. But they always try to sell me something I've already bought.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Donkey Butter posted:
I've seen this happen. But they always try to sell me something I've already bought.

This.
dv
DukeofNuke posted:
Donkey Butter posted:

This.

That.
maurvir Perfectly balanced - mostly
I'm not sure if we should be annoyed or relieved that these ad systems are so laughably bad at actually peddling crap we care about. So far, they always seem several steps behind. As in, you buy something and THEN you get ads for it.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
similar thing happens to me at the grocery store.
THe register prints me out a strip of coupons for stuff I'll never buy.
Bought cat food? If the checkout printed me a coupon for a different brand of cat food,or even a flea collar or something, I might be tempted to keep that piece of paper for a week or two an try it.
But instead I get a coupon for parakeet seed ...
WTF?
TOS
dv posted:
DukeofNuke posted:
Donkey Butter posted:

This.

That.

those.
TOS posted:
dv posted:
DukeofNuke posted:
Donkey Butter posted:

This.

That.

those.

These.
sean Royal Wombat
I recently got some suuuuper creepy ad-ware on my company-issue Android phone. It would regularly serve up ads relevant to recent conversations that had occurred in my vicinity.

:paranoid:

The phone has since been wiped.
Always uninstall or disable the Facebook app.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

"Digital ads are starting to feel psychic"