What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 192, 193, 194, 195, 196
Online now: juice, ukimalefu
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Female Trouble is the first John Waters movie I ever saw.

I never saw Desperate Living. I need to check that out.

In general I saw Waters have a bit of a progression from Pink Flamingoes through to Serial Mom, where he went from complete tasteless shocking outrageousness to actual storytelling while still maintaining an edgy character. The last one he made that i have seen was Pecker and I didn't care for it. Personal faves are Polyester and Cry Baby.

It is a shame Devine passed away.
A John Waters movie about the current White House would be excellent--with Devine in a double role as Trump and Ivanka.
Mink Stole as Melania, Edith Massey as Kellyanne Conway, etc.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Séamas posted:
Female Trouble is the first John Waters movie I ever saw.

I never saw Desperate Living. I need to check that out.

In general I saw Waters have a bit of a progression from Pink Flamingoes through to Serial Mom, where he went from complete tasteless shocking outrageousness to actual storytelling while still maintaining an edgy character. The last one he made that i have seen was Pecker and I didn't care for it. Personal faves are Polyester and Cry Baby.

It is a shame Devine passed away.
A John Waters movie about the current White House would be excellent--with Devine in a double role as Trump and Ivanka.
Mink Stole as Melania, Edith Massey as Kellyanne Conway, etc.

What's amazing to me is that they showed this on TCM completely uncut...I think it was originally rated X!

I guess everybody's seen everything nowadays.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Superman, The Final Cut

A "fan remaster"

Almost 3 hours long, it has a few extra scenes, including an after credits scene.

Very good. I haven't seen Superman in a long time, and I enjoyed this "enhanced" version of the real Superman.

Trailer here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqboiCImlzo

links to download (not sure if those actually work) got them from this website in spanish

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... fvMGtYNy5U

https://www.facebook.com/supermanthefin ... 339153593/

But I got from a torrent. The copy I got is entirely in english, but it came with spanish subtitles.

:up:
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Pineapple Express
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
justine posted:
Pineapple Express

I hated that movie.
Pithecanthropus posted:
justine posted:
Pineapple Express

I hated that movie.

I love it!
Moonstruck (1987) Cher, Nicholas Cage, Olympia Dukakis, Vincent Gardenia. Brilliant.
My mom used to that watch all the time, for some reason I always walked in when Cage was ranting about losing his hand.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Life of Pi (in 3D on Bino): Ang-Li is known to go either way with his movies (i.e. classic or WTF happened), but fortunately this one is up with CT-HD as one of the best and most unique movies ever made. The 3D isn't really necessary but it definitely elevates the composition and adds an extra layer of hyper-surreality.

Terminator - Dark Fate: Like every Terminator sequel after T2, it's nonsensical, full of chases and explosions, mildly amusing, and completely uneccessary. It's not terrible. But apparently it was such a bomb, they were selling the DVD from the Red Box for cheaper than it cost to rent it, so we just bought it for like $3.88. I kind of feel bad for everyone involved in losing so much money on what is an okay movie, but I always remind myself: "Why did anyone think there was ever so much franchise traction from the Terminator movie?" It was a sort of mid-budget grindhouse movie that proved popular enough for a super-jacked stunt FX sequel...ah, and there's the rub. No one is trying to make the next Terminator movie, they're all trying to be the next T2, and failing repeatedly. Well figure it out, Hollywood: times have changed! Nobody cares anymore about big explosions and falling glass and CGI liquid skeletons, they want good stories. Arnold Schwarzenegger is old...let him retire with some dignity left. I really think if they wanted to make this franchise profitable and enjoyable for a new generation of teenagers, they should have gone the Star Trek route with lower budget movies in the hands of cult directors like Sam Raimi or George Romero taking the more "drive in theater" approach. There's just no demand for the Air-Force budget they spent.
His Girl Friday

We watched this last night at the request of my son who recalled me watching it 2-3 years ago. He didn't remember the title or anything, but remembered it was B&W, from the 40s a woman wanting to honeymoon in Niagara Falls.

Anyhow, it is totally enjoyable, but parts of it took me a while to get (because people are talking at 1000 miles per hour--something the director was aiming at).
Séamas posted:
His Girl Friday

We watched this last night at the request of my son who recalled me watching it 2-3 years ago. He didn't remember the title or anything, but remembered it was B&W, from the 40s a woman wanting to honeymoon in Niagara Falls.

Anyhow, it is totally enjoyable, but parts of it took me a while to get (because people are talking at 1000 miles per hour--something the director was aiming at).

That rapid fire delivery is the hallmark of that movie, and many others from the era.
TOS
starship troopers, on netflix

holy human waste was that a lousy movie

so many people consider it brilliant satire, but it really is not

a real shame because the novel was great
Pithecanthropus posted:
Séamas posted:
His Girl Friday

That rapid fire delivery is the hallmark of that movie, and many others from the era.

Oh yea.
Lampooned in the Hudsucker Proxy and some SNL skits.

Until reading about it last night, I didn't know that directors at the time (well Hawks at least) set out to make the fast dialogue. I thought it was just a stylistic thing --perhaps another holdover from the live stage.

"Hawks himself was determined to break the record for the fastest film dialogue, at the time held by The Front Page. He used a sound mixer on the set to increase the speed of dialogue and held a showing of the two films next to each other to prove how fast his film was."
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Hide and Seek -- better than I thought I was going to be.
Hubie Halloween.It was entertaining. :)
Blue Thunder (1983). Roy Scheider vs. Malcom McDowell in a super cool ultra-modern helicopter. I saw it in the theatre when it came out. It hits every cliche of every cop movie of the era pretty much.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Pithecanthropus posted:
Blue Thunder (1983). Roy Scheider vs. Malcom McDowell in a super cool ultra-modern helicopter. I saw it in the theatre when it came out. It hits every cliche of every cop movie of the era pretty much.

I liked that movie, even if it was a bit cliche.
Pithecanthropus posted:

I saw that in the theater too.

Went with my neighbor and his parents. Neighbor's dad was an MIT grad Grumman engineer who on the way home kept laughing about the whole premise of a helicopter doing a loop-de loop--and how there was a bolt and screw used that would NREVER be put where it was.

Same dad took us to see "Raise the Titanic" which he picked apart in the same manner (the engineering was insipid)
The Westland Lynx that dates from the late 70s can roll and loop.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 192, 193, 194, 195, 196