What was the last movie you saw?

Music and video: analog or digital
User avatar
DukeofNuke
Posts: 33125
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:33 pm
Title: FREE RADICAL
Location: Scintillating!

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

Post by DukeofNuke »

maurvir posted wrote: I don't think any movie has ever surpassed Airplane! in terms of deadpan delivery of hilarious jokes. Space Balls? Yeah, I kind of agree. It was no Blazing Saddles.

So, was the BJ scene cut?
intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
User avatar
Metacell
Posts: 11003
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:58 am
Title: Chocolate Brahma
Location: Lidsville
Contact:

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

Post by Metacell »

I think The Naked Gun is funnier, and I grew up with Airplane. Airplane was kinda' revolutionary, but it was firmly entrenched in the cocaine-laden cultural values of the 70's (and it's Airport '77 movies which are no longer part of the landscape). The Naked Gun still feels current ('cept for the Reagan jokes). I still think assaulting the Queen with a dildo is one of the funniest things set to film.
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
User avatar
Pithecanthropus
Posts: 6030
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:46 pm
Title: Roast Master
Location: St. Cloud, MN
Contact:

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

Post by Pithecanthropus »

Metacell posted wrote: I think The Naked Gun is funnier, and I grew up with Airplane. Airplane was kinda' revolutionary, but it was firmly entrenched in the cocaine-laden cultural values of the 70's (and it's Airport '77 movies which are no longer part of the landscape). The Naked Gun still feels current ('cept for the Reagan jokes). I still think assaulting the Queen with a dildo is one of the funniest things set to film.

My problem with the Naked Gun series is that they make Frank Drebin into an idiot. If you watched the very short-lived Police Squad, he's played just as deadpan as Dr. Rumack in Airplane.
set DeusEx.JCDentonMale bCheatsEnabled true
User avatar
Metacell
Posts: 11003
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:58 am
Title: Chocolate Brahma
Location: Lidsville
Contact:

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

Post by Metacell »

I did watch the show, it was my favorite thing ever. "He's hiding in the Chinese Garden!" Well of course it was a Dragnet spoof, but I'm not sure if he could have pulled that off as the lead in a full-length feature.
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
User avatar
TOS
Posts: 39013
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Post by TOS »

greyhound

pretty good, i quite liked it

it tells the story of a single destroyer in a single crossing of a single voyage to the uk during the battle of the atlantic

kind of ridiculous in some ways -- the constant surface battles with u-boats in broad daylight being just one example, plus the regular taunting by a german sub commander of tom hanks' character via radio -- but very well-paced and watchable
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
User avatar
Robert B.
Posts: 3851
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:56 pm
Title: Dandy Highwayman
Location: Wherever I go, there I am.

Post by Robert B. »

I also watched Greyhound. Saw it last night.


I didn't really think it was all that. For an action movie it was ok, but I felt Hanks was reaching for a Dunkirk or 1917 and it just came up short. No character development, no emotion, no tension. Just Hanks barking a bunch of orders at everybody for 90 minutes.
"Hey, I gotta be me. Don't like it, don't read it." - Schnicky
User avatar
Séamas
Posts: 6820
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:32 pm
Title: Honorary Consul General
Location: Where am I?

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

Post by Séamas »

Pithecanthropus posted wrote:
Metacell posted wrote: I think The Naked Gun is funnier, and I grew up with Airplane. Airplane was kinda' revolutionary, but it was firmly entrenched in the cocaine-laden cultural values of the 70's (and it's Airport '77 movies which are no longer part of the landscape). The Naked Gun still feels current ('cept for the Reagan jokes). I still think assaulting the Queen with a dildo is one of the funniest things set to film.

My problem with the Naked Gun series is that they make Frank Drebin into an idiot. If you watched the very short-lived Police Squad, he's played just as deadpan as Dr. Rumack in Airplane.


I remember being absolutely crushed when Police Squad! was cancelled.

According to the DVD commentary for "A Substantial Gift" (Episode 1), then-ABC entertainment president Tony Thomopoulos said that Police Squad! was canceled because "the viewer had to watch it in order to appreciate it," meaning that the viewer had to pay very close attention to the show in order to get much of the humor, while most other TV shows did not demand as much effort from the viewer. In its annual "Cheers and Jeers" issue, TV Guide magazine called the explanation for the cancellation "the most stupid reason a network ever gave for ending a series."
And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.
User avatar
TOS
Posts: 39013
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Post by TOS »

tremors (the original), on netflix

watched it with my kid

still holds up great, is a really fun little movie
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
User avatar
justine
Posts: 16562
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:35 pm
Title: Elitist Beer Lover
Location: Magrathea
Contact:

Post by justine »

I love Tremors!
"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
User avatar
Pithecanthropus
Posts: 6030
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:46 pm
Title: Roast Master
Location: St. Cloud, MN
Contact:

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

Post by Pithecanthropus »

Ghostbusters (1984). In my world there is no terrible remake.
set DeusEx.JCDentonMale bCheatsEnabled true
User avatar
maurvir
Posts: 25046
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:13 pm
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

Post by maurvir »

Pithecanthropus posted wrote: Ghostbusters (1984). In my world there is no terrible remake.


What remake?
User avatar
Metacell
Posts: 11003
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:58 am
Title: Chocolate Brahma
Location: Lidsville
Contact:

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

Post by Metacell »

Is there still a mediocre sequel?
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
User avatar
Séamas
Posts: 6820
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:32 pm
Title: Honorary Consul General
Location: Where am I?

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

Post by Séamas »

Shaft

Who's the black private dick that's a sex machine to all the chicks?

They say this cat Shaft is a bad mother...
And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.
User avatar
ukimalefu
Posts: 43477
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 pm
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Location: Failed State

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

Post by ukimalefu »

Séamas posted wrote: Shaft

Who's the black private dick that's a sex machine to all the chicks?

They say this cat Shaft is a bad mother...


shut your mouth
User avatar
juice
Posts: 11876
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:26 am
Title: Inadvertently correct

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

Post by juice »

ukimalefu posted wrote:
Séamas posted wrote: Shaft

Who's the black private dick that's a sex machine to all the chicks?

They say this cat Shaft is a bad mother...


shut your mouth

He's just talking 'bout Shaft...
User avatar
Séamas
Posts: 6820
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:32 pm
Title: Honorary Consul General
Location: Where am I?

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

Post by Séamas »

juice posted wrote:
ukimalefu posted wrote:
Séamas posted wrote: Shaft

Who's the black private dick that's a sex machine to all the chicks?

They say this cat Shaft is a bad mother...


shut your mouth

He's just talking 'bout Shaft...


Then we can dig it.
And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.
User avatar
Séamas
Posts: 6820
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:32 pm
Title: Honorary Consul General
Location: Where am I?

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

Post by Séamas »

Total Recall (1990)
I saw this in the theater when it came out but not since then.
What first strikes me is even though this was highly praised for effects and technical work, it really doesn't look it. Then again, I find that any movie that puts such a stress on those aspects end up aging poorly.
The other thing that took me aback--is I forgot how awful Schwarzenegger is. I mean he looks ridiculous, sounds ridiculous and is just a flat out awful actor. There are parts where Tommu Wiseau could do better.
And in the realm of things that I took no interest in in 1990 I couldn't help but notice in just about all of the crowd scenes (except on Mar's red light district) everyone is white.
Then we meet Benny the cab driver. Jeez.
This was also the era of stupid amounts of violence in movies.

The story is pretty cool. I know they did a remake, but have heard it is awful
And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.
User avatar
maurvir
Posts: 25046
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:13 pm
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

Post by maurvir »

Séamas posted wrote: Total Recall (1990)
I saw this in the theater when it came out but not since then.
What first strikes me is even though this was highly praised for effects and technical work, it really doesn't look it. Then again, I find that any movie that puts such a stress on those aspects end up aging poorly.
The other thing that took me aback--is I forgot how awful Schwarzenegger is. I mean he looks ridiculous, sounds ridiculous and is just a flat out awful actor. There are parts where Tommu Wiseau could do better.
And in the realm of things that I took no interest in in 1990 I couldn't help but notice in just about all of the crowd scenes (except on Mar's red light district) everyone is white.
Then we meet Benny the cab driver. Jeez.
This was also the era of stupid amounts of violence in movies.

The story is pretty cool. I know they did a remake, but have heard it is awful


I dunno, I thought it was meh when it first came out, and it hasn't improved with age.

As you say, though, stories that focus on effects almost never age well.
User avatar
Séamas
Posts: 6820
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:32 pm
Title: Honorary Consul General
Location: Where am I?

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

Post by Séamas »

maurvir posted wrote:
Séamas posted wrote: Total Recall (1990)
I saw this in the theater when it came out but not since then.
What first strikes me is even though this was highly praised for effects and technical work, it really doesn't look it. Then again, I find that any movie that puts such a stress on those aspects end up aging poorly.
The other thing that took me aback--is I forgot how awful Schwarzenegger is. I mean he looks ridiculous, sounds ridiculous and is just a flat out awful actor. There are parts where Tommu Wiseau could do better.
And in the realm of things that I took no interest in in 1990 I couldn't help but notice in just about all of the crowd scenes (except on Mar's red light district) everyone is white.
Then we meet Benny the cab driver. Jeez.
This was also the era of stupid amounts of violence in movies.

The story is pretty cool. I know they did a remake, but have heard it is awful


I dunno, I thought it was meh when it first came out, and it hasn't improved with age.

As you say, though, stories that focus on effects almost never age well.


I also pretty much thought it meh when I first saw it
And my (faulty) memory was that it wasn't well liked, but have in recent years discovered not only was it well regarded then, but (according to places like Rotten Tomatoes), people still rate it pretty highly.
And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.
User avatar
ukimalefu
Posts: 43477
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 pm
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Location: Failed State

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

Post by ukimalefu »

Séamas posted wrote:
maurvir posted wrote:
Séamas posted wrote: Total Recall (1990)
I saw this in the theater when it came out but not since then.
What first strikes me is even though this was highly praised for effects and technical work, it really doesn't look it. Then again, I find that any movie that puts such a stress on those aspects end up aging poorly.
The other thing that took me aback--is I forgot how awful Schwarzenegger is. I mean he looks ridiculous, sounds ridiculous and is just a flat out awful actor. There are parts where Tommu Wiseau could do better.
And in the realm of things that I took no interest in in 1990 I couldn't help but notice in just about all of the crowd scenes (except on Mar's red light district) everyone is white.
Then we meet Benny the cab driver. Jeez.
This was also the era of stupid amounts of violence in movies.

The story is pretty cool. I know they did a remake, but have heard it is awful


I dunno, I thought it was meh when it first came out, and it hasn't improved with age.

As you say, though, stories that focus on effects almost never age well.


I also pretty much thought it meh when I first saw it
And my (faulty) memory was that it wasn't well liked, but have in recent years discovered not only was it well regarded then, but (according to places like Rotten Tomatoes), people still rate it pretty highly.


(o)(o)(o)
User avatar
Séamas
Posts: 6820
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:32 pm
Title: Honorary Consul General
Location: Where am I?

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

Post by Séamas »

ukimalefu posted wrote:
Séamas posted wrote:
maurvir posted wrote:
Séamas posted wrote: Total Recall (1990)
I saw this in the theater when it came out but not since then.
What first strikes me is even though this was highly praised for effects and technical work, it really doesn't look it. Then again, I find that any movie that puts such a stress on those aspects end up aging poorly.
The other thing that took me aback--is I forgot how awful Schwarzenegger is. I mean he looks ridiculous, sounds ridiculous and is just a flat out awful actor. There are parts where Tommu Wiseau could do better.
And in the realm of things that I took no interest in in 1990 I couldn't help but notice in just about all of the crowd scenes (except on Mar's red light district) everyone is white.
Then we meet Benny the cab driver. Jeez.
This was also the era of stupid amounts of violence in movies.

The story is pretty cool. I know they did a remake, but have heard it is awful


I dunno, I thought it was meh when it first came out, and it hasn't improved with age.

As you say, though, stories that focus on effects almost never age well.


I also pretty much thought it meh when I first saw it
And my (faulty) memory was that it wasn't well liked, but have in recent years discovered not only was it well regarded then, but (according to places like Rotten Tomatoes), people still rate it pretty highly.


(o)(o)(o)


LOL

That was actually a visual effect that was pulled off very well. Then again I think practical effects age better than most.
And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.
User avatar
Metacell
Posts: 11003
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:58 am
Title: Chocolate Brahma
Location: Lidsville
Contact:

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

Post by Metacell »

Séamas posted wrote:I also pretty much thought it meh when I first saw it
And my (faulty) memory was that it wasn't well liked, but have in recent years discovered not only was it well regarded then, but (according to places like Rotten Tomatoes), people still rate it pretty highly.

It's better than most Arno movies...but it still has Arno in it. I always thought he was a joke and basically people like his movies because they are ridiculous camp. The only two roles he was appropriate for are Conan and The Terminator.
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
User avatar
juice
Posts: 11876
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:26 am
Title: Inadvertently correct

Post by juice »

Conan, tell us what is best in life
User avatar
Robert B.
Posts: 3851
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:56 pm
Title: Dandy Highwayman
Location: Wherever I go, there I am.

Post by Robert B. »

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women due to the pandemic.
"Hey, I gotta be me. Don't like it, don't read it." - Schnicky
User avatar
Metacell
Posts: 11003
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:58 am
Title: Chocolate Brahma
Location: Lidsville
Contact:

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

Post by Metacell »

Mad Max: Fury Road in 3D

Great movie, maybe better than The Road Warrior, although I think that has some more memorable characters. This definitely has the best action ever.
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
User avatar
Metacell
Posts: 11003
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:58 am
Title: Chocolate Brahma
Location: Lidsville
Contact:

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

Post by Metacell »

Black Water (2007, Tubi, leaving soon)

Australian family boating trip attacked by a saltwater crocodile. Based on a true story, this movie is NOT campy, and WILL give children nightmares and maybe you too. No CGI. Crocodiles are friggin' scary man. "Has a branch of your family tree been eaten' by crocs? You might be Australian, mate!"
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
User avatar
Séamas
Posts: 6820
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:32 pm
Title: Honorary Consul General
Location: Where am I?

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

Post by Séamas »

The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists!
(aka vThe Pirates! Band of Misfits)
From Aardman animations, the same people who did Wallace and Grommet. IMHO this is their most successful and well crafted full length feature.
And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.
User avatar
Séamas
Posts: 6820
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:32 pm
Title: Honorary Consul General
Location: Where am I?

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

Post by Séamas »

Clash of the Titans
I think this was the last movie featuring Ray Harryhausen's visual effects and stop animation, and imho not the best of them.
You would think that the cast--at least with Olivier and Maggie Smith, etc, would have made it better.
I mean it is OK fun, but is paced slowly and all the characters are deadpan serious all the time. Very wooden and the story isn't told as well as it could be.
And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.
User avatar
Metacell
Posts: 11003
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:58 am
Title: Chocolate Brahma
Location: Lidsville
Contact:

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

Post by Metacell »

The Old Guard (Netflix) - Charlize Theron plays the ancient leader of a band of immortal A-Team commandos trying and failing to make the world a better place. Kiki Layne plays her latest newly "dead" recruit. It tries hard to be deep and moody, but it's basically, "Highlander: the Next Generation." Amusing enough if you just accept it's cheesy.

Ip Man (Netflix) - Highly fictionalized account of the life of Bruce Lee's martial arts master of Wing Chun during the Japanese occupation of China. Seeing that Ip Man 4 had just arrived, I figured I'd better start over from the beginning since I haven't seen any of the sequels. Although most of the events are not true to life nor particularly plausible, they do deliver on some of the best Kung-Fu Hong Kong cinema ever made, up there with Jet Li's Fearless. Donnie Yen is magnetic and the fight scenes are better than a Baryshnikov ballet.

Ip Man 2 (Netflix) - Documents the post war period in British occupied Hong Kong, with the typical Boxer bully and corrupt upper-crust officials putting the heat on the native martial arts masters. It's not quite as elegant as the first, but it's a lot of fun with it's Rocky-esque setup.

Sharkansas Women's Prison Massacre (Tubi) - featuring Traci Lords. Well, I knew what I was getting. Does any review really matter?
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
User avatar
ukimalefu
Posts: 43477
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 pm
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Location: Failed State

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

Post by ukimalefu »

Contagion (2011)

I never watched it before. I just waited until the august 2020 to see it. Great timing.

Image
User avatar
TOS
Posts: 39013
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

Post by TOS »

Metacell posted wrote: The Old Guard (Netflix) - Charlize Theron plays the ancient leader of a band of immortal A-Team commandos trying and failing to make the world a better place. Kiki Layne plays her latest newly "dead" recruit. It tries hard to be deep and moody, but it's basically, "Highlander: the Next Generation." Amusing enough if you just accept it's cheesy.

Ip Man (Netflix) - Highly fictionalized account of the life of Bruce Lee's martial arts master of Wing Chun during the Japanese occupation of China. Seeing that Ip Man 4 had just arrived, I figured I'd better start over from the beginning since I haven't seen any of the sequels. Although most of the events are not true to life nor particularly plausible, they do deliver on some of the best Kung-Fu Hong Kong cinema ever made, up there with Jet Li's Fearless. Donnie Yen is magnetic and the fight scenes are better than a Baryshnikov ballet.

Ip Man 2 (Netflix) - Documents the post war period in British occupied Hong Kong, with the typical Boxer bully and corrupt upper-crust officials putting the heat on the native martial arts masters. It's not quite as elegant as the first, but it's a lot of fun with it's Rocky-esque setup.

Sharkansas Women's Prison Massacre (Tubi) - featuring Traci Lords. Well, I knew what I was getting. Does any review really matter?


i guess nudity in that movie is kind of irrelevant with her ...
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
User avatar
Metacell
Posts: 11003
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:58 am
Title: Chocolate Brahma
Location: Lidsville
Contact:

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

Post by Metacell »

TOS posted wrote:
Metacell posted wrote: The Old Guard (Netflix) - Charlize Theron plays the ancient leader of a band of immortal A-Team commandos trying and failing to make the world a better place. Kiki Layne plays her latest newly "dead" recruit. It tries hard to be deep and moody, but it's basically, "Highlander: the Next Generation." Amusing enough if you just accept it's cheesy.

Ip Man (Netflix) - Highly fictionalized account of the life of Bruce Lee's martial arts master of Wing Chun during the Japanese occupation of China. Seeing that Ip Man 4 had just arrived, I figured I'd better start over from the beginning since I haven't seen any of the sequels. Although most of the events are not true to life nor particularly plausible, they do deliver on some of the best Kung-Fu Hong Kong cinema ever made, up there with Jet Li's Fearless. Donnie Yen is magnetic and the fight scenes are better than a Baryshnikov ballet.

Ip Man 2 (Netflix) - Documents the post war period in British occupied Hong Kong, with the typical Boxer bully and corrupt upper-crust officials putting the heat on the native martial arts masters. It's not quite as elegant as the first, but it's a lot of fun with it's Rocky-esque setup.

Sharkansas Women's Prison Massacre (Tubi) - featuring Traci Lords. Well, I knew what I was getting. Does any review really matter?


i guess nudity in that movie is kind of irrelevant with her ...

Well she's about 50...there's no nudity in it. The basic problem with it is that it combines genres that really need to be heavy grindhouse and sleazy. But it's relentlessly PG-13 aside from some swearing. It's overall ridiculousness is more entertaining than it should be though.
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
User avatar
TOS
Posts: 39013
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Post by TOS »

o brother where art thou

still a neat li'l movie
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
User avatar
maurvir
Posts: 25046
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:13 pm
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Re:

Post by maurvir »

TOS posted wrote: o brother where art thou

still a neat li'l movie


I love that movie, though I wonder how many people get that it is a "modern" retelling of The Odyssey?
User avatar
Pithecanthropus
Posts: 6030
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:46 pm
Title: Roast Master
Location: St. Cloud, MN
Contact:

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

Post by Pithecanthropus »

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (1947) with Danny Kaye (one of my favorite comedy actors of all time) in the title role. It's rated #497 on Empire Magazine's list of the 500 greatest movies ever made, and it really felt like it. Cute, funny, but it really felt like the 497th best movie I've ever seen.
set DeusEx.JCDentonMale bCheatsEnabled true
User avatar
Séamas
Posts: 6820
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:32 pm
Title: Honorary Consul General
Location: Where am I?

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

Post by Séamas »

Karate Kid 1984
I don't think I have ever seen this in its entirety. I was in HS when it came out and thought it was targeted to a younger audience. Funny how young Macchio always looks. He's a good six years older than me but has always appeared younger.

Morita was very good, and the movie was more entertaining than I anticipated.
And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.
User avatar
Robert B.
Posts: 3851
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:56 pm
Title: Dandy Highwayman
Location: Wherever I go, there I am.

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

Post by Robert B. »

Séamas posted wrote: Karate Kid 1984


Make sure to catch Cobra Kai when it appears on Netflix later this month. It picks up the story with the principle characters as adults.
"Hey, I gotta be me. Don't like it, don't read it." - Schnicky
User avatar
DukeofNuke
Posts: 33125
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:33 pm
Title: FREE RADICAL
Location: Scintillating!

Post by DukeofNuke »

Modern Times (1936) Charlie Chaplin, Paulette Goddard

Everyone knows of this movie and has seen clips from it, but honestly, if you haven't actually sat down and watched it through you owe it to yourself to make the effort. It is brilliant. Chaplin was a genius.
intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
User avatar
Séamas
Posts: 6820
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:32 pm
Title: Honorary Consul General
Location: Where am I?

Re: Re:

Post by Séamas »

maurvir posted wrote:
TOS posted wrote: o brother where art thou

still a neat li'l movie


I love that movie, though I wonder how many people get that it is a "modern" retelling of The Odyssey?

iirc a passage/quote from the Odyssey is used at the beginning of the movie before the title sequence..
And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.
User avatar
Séamas
Posts: 6820
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:32 pm
Title: Honorary Consul General
Location: Where am I?

Re:

Post by Séamas »

DukeofNuke posted wrote: Modern Times (1936) Charlie Chaplin, Paulette Goddard

Everyone knows of this movie and has seen clips from it, but honestly, if you haven't actually sat down and watched it through you owe it to yourself to make the effort. It is brilliant. Chaplin was a genius.


Did he compose the music for Modern Times as well? he often did that.

A couple years ago when we first subscribed to Netflix they had a collection of most, if not all of his shorts. Incredible stuff. He could do just about anything, juggle, do acrobatics, skate, write, direct.
People who refuse to watch black and white movies--or movies from the silent era are missing out big time. Chaplin, Keaton, Lloyd, etc are as watchable as anything being offered today.
And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.
Post Reply