What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 185, 186, 187, 188, 189
Online now: Bing (sucks), Warin, wellfleation
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Ghost in the Shell

Youtube is on a roll - they have the original Japanese version, not the English dub. However, you can turn on subtitles in English.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
The Aeronauts (Prime)

Not too bad, but a documentary about the "Actual events" would probably be better.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
ukimalefu last throes
Star Wars Ep IX Rise of Skywalker

Good the first time, better the second time
Séamas Honorary Consul General
The Point!
Animated feature made for television, written by Harry Nisson. Lots of word play. Very 1971.
The Rockman is worth the price of admission. Music is stellar too.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Séamas posted:
The Point!
Animated feature made for television, written by Harry Nisson. Lots of word play. Very 1971.

I showed it to my wife a couple of years back, she found the story engaging, and the animation trippy AF.

A bit of trivia: the father was originally voiced by Dustin Hoffman, but was later changed to Ringo Starr (which is the version most people are familiar with).
Pithecanthropus posted:
Séamas posted:
The Point!

I showed it to my wife a couple of years back, she found the story engaging, and the animation trippy AF.

A bit of trivia: the father was originally voiced by Dustin Hoffman, but was later changed to Ringo Starr (which is the version most people are familiar with).

yep. Ringo seems like he is trying not to sound Liverpudlian.

Also: Mike Lookinland -TV's Bobby Brady does the voice of Oblio.
The King (2019) Timothée Chalamet, Joel Edgerton, Robert Pattinson. Fictionalised telling of Henry V and the Battle of Agincourt. Nicely done. The story is based on Shakespeare's Henry plays so it has all the untruths and biases of them but makes for a compelling film.
X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019).

Lemme just say this: Sophie Turner is REALLY pretty. Even while overlayed with rather grotesque special effects.

But otherwise: WTF? There was no coherent plot other than Jean Grey becoming arguably the most powerful being in the universe though wrestling within herself without any comprehesion of that fact (until near the end of the movie). I struggled arguing with myself, beginning to ask about halfway through if this was worth my time watching it. Ultimately: nope, knowing what I know now, I would not have bothered even with watching Sophie Turner.

Tell me: I am not at all a comic book reader (at least not anymore) so there might be some explanation within them for this. Do the movies with the "younger" X-Men (i.e., those with James McAvoy as Professor Xavier) take place in a different universe from those movies with Patrick Stewart in that role? Perhaps people with a more thorough knowledge of the Marvel universe already know that in the time between the movies of Dark Phoenix (most of which takes place in 1992) and the first X-Men movie (MAYBE taking place in 2000?) there are stories which explain how Jean Grey/Dark Phoenix is restored to the X-Men, but lacking that background I'm rather lost trying to patch together these movie groups. For me it makes more sense to view them as completely separate.
ukimalefu last throes
I don't know the answer to your questions, but I'd blame Fox

But now that Disney owns fox and marvel maybe x-men movies could one day be better?

(damn, disney is too big, that's scary)
macnuke Afar
ukimalefu posted:
I don't know the answer to your questions, but I'd blame Fox

But now that Disney owns fox and marvel maybe x-men movies could one day be better?

(damn, disney is too big, that's scary)

Just wait till Apple buys them :lol:
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Apple needs content!
DEyncourt posted:

Do the movies with the "younger" X-Men (i.e., those with James McAvoy as Professor Xavier) take place in a different universe from those movies with Patrick Stewart in that role?

They are supposed to be in the same universe, Days of Future Past connects them.
I don't know why they keep trying to do a Dark Phoenix story.
Even the scant and wholly incomplete details I have gleaned about Dark Phoenix makes a compelling story though it deserves to be matched with a good writer and a good director to tell it.

So should I consider the "Dark Phoenix" movie as Marvel "apocrypha"? Because becoming arguably the most powerful entity within the X-Men universe doesn't at all fit with the later (in the overall storyline though earlier in the making) X-Men movies i.e., those with Famke Janssen as Jean Grey.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
HP and the Goblet of Fire
jkahless Custom Title
Fern Gully. Tim Curry and Robin Williams team up with Australian hippies and present a masterclass in children's entertainment. If you want to make a kids film, this is a good one to watch. They understand the necessity of real peril in a children's film.
1917 (2019) Written and Directed by Sam Mendes based on stories his family were told by an ancestor who fought in it.

Like Nolan's 'Dunkirk', more an exercise in film-making technique than story-telling but a better movie anyway. Two Lance corporals are tasked with crossing no man's land to deliver a message to halt an attack. Not a realistic premise for the fictional story.

Made in such a way to give the impression that the film is shot in two one hour continuous takes.

Recommended.
Ribtor posted:
1917 (2019) Written and Directed by Sam Mendes based on stories his family were told by an ancestor who fought in it.

Like Nolan's 'Dunkirk', more an exercise in film-making technique than story-telling but a better movie anyway. Two Lance corporals are tasked with crossing no man's land to deliver a message to halt an attack. Not a realistic premise for the fictional story.

Made in such a way to give the impression that the film is shot in two one hour continuous takes.

Recommended.

I just finished watching. Amen to the camera work. I recommend as well.
Bull Durham (1988) So many fine little scenes and bits of dialogue. Crash Davis telling Annie savoy all the things he believes in; The trips to the mound and telling the batter what pitches are about to come, etc. Even those who don't like rom-coms will find something to like.
The Color of Money (1986)

Paul Newman reprises his role as Fast Eddie from The Hustler (1961).
Eddie spots hot talent Vince (Tom Cruise) with his amateur con girlfriend, Carmen, and tries to teach them how to hustle and make money on the way to national 9-ball tournament in Atlantic City. Vince doesn't take to learning because he's focused on winning. Getting near the table action inspires Eddie to take up the cue again and enter the tournament as well.

It was all right, both characters grow and change throughout the film. It's pointed out in the movie but 9-ball is too fast paced. Straight pool played in The Hustler was like a long battle between the players.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Onward is now on Disney + So I'll be watching it tomorrow
We have been doing movie marathons the last week +

First was the Hobbit trilogy, then the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

My kids were given the choice between those and the Planet of the Apes (original 5 movies).

Now we are two movies into the Harry Potter movies. Once again my kids rejected the Planet of the Apes.

I think next up is a choice between the Aardman films and shorts (Wallace and Grommit, etc) and the Planet of the Apes.

If this social distancing continues for as long as I suspect, my kids will have no choice but to see the Planet of the Apes movies.
ukimalefu last throes
how old are they?

I mean, planets of the apes were great. The original ones.
ukimalefu posted:
how old are they?

13 and 15.

I have had the collection for years. tried showing them the first movie ~ 3 years ago. My daughter watched, wasn't impressed, my son thought it was stupid and refused.

I WILL show them they are WRONG!!
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
Séamas posted:
ukimalefu posted:
how old are they?

13 and 15.

I have had the collection for years. tried showing them the first movie ~ 3 years ago. My daughter watched, wasn't impressed, my son thought it was stupid and refused.

I have not seen any of the movies.
arkayn posted:
Séamas posted:
ukimalefu posted:
how old are they?

13 and 15.

I have not seen any of the movies.

Shame on you.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
I've seen at least 3 of them...I mean, they used to show them on TV before we had VHS rentals. I always thought they were cheap and silly, but the first one is completely iconic and as vital to the 70's as Logan's Run, Jaws, and Star Wars. Jack Kirby did a (completely crazy) comic series, almost as bizarre as his 2001 comic series.
The Art of Racing in the Rain

It's a doggy movie, so you're going to cry.
Metacell posted:
I've seen at least 3 of them...I mean, they used to show them on TV before we had VHS rentals. I always thought they were cheap and silly, but the first one is completely iconic and as vital to the 70's as Logan's Run, Jaws, and Star Wars. Jack Kirby did a (completely crazy) comic series, almost as bizarre as his 2001 comic series.

My first experience with them were from when they broadcast them on the SCS "special" -- I think they were the first three movie on consecutive saturday nights. Possibly their first TV broadcast

Then later there was Planet of the Apes week on the ABC 4:30 movie
(the ABC 4:30 movie was awesome, they would have a monster week (frankenstein, dracula, etc), a Planet of the Apes week, and a Japanese monster week, Beach party week, etc
TOS
the hunt

controversial because they delayed the release due to mass shootings, but while i thought it was just a low-budget quasi-horror movie, it's actually a damon lindlof joint and is just great ... i especially love betty gilpin, she's just awesome

they manage to simultaneously mock rich liberals and low-class right-wingers

fun flick, worth watching
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Séamas posted:
Metacell posted:

My first experience with them were from when they broadcast them on the SCS "special" -- I think they were the first three movie on consecutive saturday nights. Possibly their first TV broadcast

(the ABC 4:30 movie was awesome, they would have a monster week (frankenstein, dracula, etc), a Planet of the Apes week, and a Japanese monster week, Beach party week, etc

The SF Bay Area was pretty spoiled. Even in the seventies there were at least 4 local TV stations in addition to the major networks, so I got Creature Features, Chiller Diller, Sunday Super Cinema, The 8 O'Clock Movie, The 3 O'Clock Movie, The Monstrous Movie, Dialing For Dollars, The Ghoulie Movie, Abbot and Costello, The Bowery Boys, Tarzan, anf the CBS Late Night Movie (which was usually TV shows) every week. By the eighties, more stations grew and even the PBS stations got into the cult horror films. I remember the monster theme weeks well. The one you couldn't see without cable was Elvira.
Metacell posted:
Séamas posted:
Metacell posted:

The SF Bay Area was pretty spoiled. Even in the seventies there were at least 4 local TV stations in addition to the major networks, so I got Creature Features, Chiller Diller, Sunday Super Cinema, The 8 O'Clock Movie, The 3 O'Clock Movie, The Monstrous Movie, Dialing For Dollars, The Ghoulie Movie, Abbot and Costello, The Bowery Boys, Tarzan, anf the CBS Late Night Movie (which was usually TV shows) every week. By the eighties, more stations grew and even the PBS stations got into the cult horror films. I remember the monster theme weeks well. The one you couldn't see without cable was Elvira.

Sounds like the NYC market area, 3 networks plus three locals (NEW, WOR, PIX) plus the PBS.
Abbot and Costello, The Bowery Boys-- a staple on Sunday morning/afternoons on one of the local stations.

The Chiller Theater opening was epic:
https://youtu.be/ok6uzndOmPA
Try seeing that when you are six years old.
The Out-Of-Towners (1970) Jack Lemmon, Sandy Dennis. Husband and wife travel to New York and everything that can go wrong, does. Jack Lemmon alternates between slow burn and manic as only he can, and Sandy Dennis is a voice of calm resignation as their trip goes from bad to worse. Recommended.

The Man With Two Brains (1983) Steve Martin, Kathleen Turner, David Warner.
A movie as brilliant as Dr. Hfuhruhurr thinks he is.
Ribtor posted:
The Man With Two Brains (1983) Steve Martin, Kathleen Turner, David Warner.
A movie as brilliant as Dr. Hfuhruhurr thinks he is.

I saw that, it was cute.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Clue (1985). I probably saw it in the theatre, and remembered that there were multiple endings, but I had forgotten almost everything about it. It's fun, and it's free on Amazon Prime.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 185, 186, 187, 188, 189