What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 184, 185, 186, 187, 188
Online now: Betonhaus, Google [Bot], Kirk, maurvir, Pariah
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Dr. Terror's House of Horrors (1965) (free on Popcornflix)

Probably saw it on Chiller Dillerwhen I was a kid, but couldn't remember. An Amicus "Tales From the Crypt" style anthology starring Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, Michael Gough, and Donald Sutherland. Mostly trite and cliche bits with laughable theatrics, although the British cinematography of the age is generally lush and lovely. Only the Voodoo story hold up IMO, mostly for the hep jazz soundtrack by the Tubby Hayes Quintet. But I'll sit through anything with Lee or Cushing.
Parasite : Not awful, but I've seen dozens of quirky art films better than this. Plus I've seen better movies by this director (The Host, Snowpiercer). I guess it's the sort of existential comedy driven by class despair that all the wealthy Hollywood Academy elite just find so darling, but Joker did it better.
Vulture 420
Saw Joker a few weeks ago, incredible movie, and I don't watch comic book super hero movies at all, so this one was planned in a special way to make the movie work on so many levels. Also just saw Brawl In Cell Block 99, for the first 1 hour and 10 minutes, the movie is uncomfortably questionable, then it finally takes a turn and becomes the movie worth watching. I wish there was a way I could recommend it by skipping the first hour and ten minutes.
Donkey Butter jerk face
John Wick III - so boring, seriously after the first fight scene I thought the movie has somehow ended up on a loop for the next hour and a half.
Vulture 420
Donkey Butter posted:
John Wick III - so boring, seriously after the first fight scene I thought the movie has somehow ended up on a loop for the next hour and a half.

None of the fight scenes looked believable to me, and the constant spray of CGI blood made it look so stupid, I had to lower my IQ just to keep watching. Then by the end I wasn't sure if it was worth it. Then you also tend to remember that the two main actors were also the two main actors in The Matrix, and it just feels like you're being sucked off by a whore by the end to keep handing over currency, but instead of money it's intellectual currency, of which you're not even sure you have a positive balance at this point.
Donkey Butter jerk face
Yup to all of that.

those fight scenes were so slow. you could see the actors just waiting their turn.
TOS
once upon a time in the west (1968)

good stuff, love henry fonda as the bad guy

edit: neat, i just found out claudia cardinale is still alive and in her 80s
You Got Mail. Practically ancient but sweet.
TOS posted:

Charles Bronson is SO good in that movie. It is one of the best spaghetti westerns, better than TGTBaTU.
TOS
Warin posted:
TOS posted:

Charles Bronson is SO good in that movie. It is one of the best spaghetti westerns, better than TGTBaTU.

very true

watching it made me decide to watch the wild bunch next, another of my faves
Needed cheering up, so I opened the dusty old "DVD cabinet of movies which I have bought" from way back when that was "a thing." (I still have one for VHS movies, but those are reserved for when I'm high on PCP)

So I picked the title which called to me and it was --

"Land of the Dead" (2005) - the fourth and forgotten of George Romero's Sextillogy.

A movie full of racism, misogyny, dwarvism, and whatever else you got. In short, a life-affirming grindhouse movie, 2 parts Night of the living dead and 1 part Escape From New York. In retrospect, it's a shame they never collaborated (George Romero and John Carpenter) because they were almost the same poetry in motion.

This is the ultimate class-warfare dystopian oracle of the 21st century, in which we, the 99%, are, in fact, the zombies...who are starting to wake up to their plight, despite the fireworks exploding in their eyes (a beautiful and lyrical critique of society), while the same uncouth individuals still fight over money and power.

Next generation: "Night of the Homeless!"

5 stars out of 4, and 11 points out of 10. This movie gets right to the point and doesn't waste time on excessive exposition and character development on characters who ARE ALL GOING To DIE, SOON. We understand them right away. At any rate, its the all time greatest JOHN LEGUIZAMO performance. He makes this movie shine.

As I have said, life affirming.
TOS
land of the dead ... is that the one where there's an enclave of survivors on an urban island where the rich treat everyone like crap while the zombies gain intelligence?
TOS posted:
land of the dead ... is that the one where there's an enclave of survivors on an urban island where the rich treat everyone like crap while the zombies gain intelligence?

Yeah, that's the one.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 184, 185, 186, 187, 188