What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 185, 186, 187, 188, 189
Online now: DEyncourt
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Dr. Terror's House of Horrors (1965) (free on Popcornflix)

Probably saw it on Chiller Dillerwhen I was a kid, but couldn't remember. An Amicus "Tales From the Crypt" style anthology starring Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, Michael Gough, and Donald Sutherland. Mostly trite and cliche bits with laughable theatrics, although the British cinematography of the age is generally lush and lovely. Only the Voodoo story hold up IMO, mostly for the hep jazz soundtrack by the Tubby Hayes Quintet. But I'll sit through anything with Lee or Cushing.
Parasite : Not awful, but I've seen dozens of quirky art films better than this. Plus I've seen better movies by this director (The Host, Snowpiercer). I guess it's the sort of existential comedy driven by class despair that all the wealthy Hollywood Academy elite just find so darling, but Joker did it better.
Vulture 420
Saw Joker a few weeks ago, incredible movie, and I don't watch comic book super hero movies at all, so this one was planned in a special way to make the movie work on so many levels. Also just saw Brawl In Cell Block 99, for the first 1 hour and 10 minutes, the movie is uncomfortably questionable, then it finally takes a turn and becomes the movie worth watching. I wish there was a way I could recommend it by skipping the first hour and ten minutes.
Donkey Butter jerk face
John Wick III - so boring, seriously after the first fight scene I thought the movie has somehow ended up on a loop for the next hour and a half.
Vulture 420
Donkey Butter posted:
John Wick III - so boring, seriously after the first fight scene I thought the movie has somehow ended up on a loop for the next hour and a half.

None of the fight scenes looked believable to me, and the constant spray of CGI blood made it look so stupid, I had to lower my IQ just to keep watching. Then by the end I wasn't sure if it was worth it. Then you also tend to remember that the two main actors were also the two main actors in The Matrix, and it just feels like you're being sucked off by a whore by the end to keep handing over currency, but instead of money it's intellectual currency, of which you're not even sure you have a positive balance at this point.
Donkey Butter jerk face
Yup to all of that.

those fight scenes were so slow. you could see the actors just waiting their turn.
TOS
once upon a time in the west (1968)

good stuff, love henry fonda as the bad guy

edit: neat, i just found out claudia cardinale is still alive and in her 80s
You Got Mail. Practically ancient but sweet.
TOS posted:

Charles Bronson is SO good in that movie. It is one of the best spaghetti westerns, better than TGTBaTU.
TOS
Warin posted:
TOS posted:

Charles Bronson is SO good in that movie. It is one of the best spaghetti westerns, better than TGTBaTU.

very true

watching it made me decide to watch the wild bunch next, another of my faves
Needed cheering up, so I opened the dusty old "DVD cabinet of movies which I have bought" from way back when that was "a thing." (I still have one for VHS movies, but those are reserved for when I'm high on PCP)

So I picked the title which called to me and it was --

"Land of the Dead" (2005) - the fourth and forgotten of George Romero's Sextillogy.

A movie full of racism, misogyny, dwarvism, and whatever else you got. In short, a life-affirming grindhouse movie, 2 parts Night of the living dead and 1 part Escape From New York. In retrospect, it's a shame they never collaborated (George Romero and John Carpenter) because they were almost the same poetry in motion.

This is the ultimate class-warfare dystopian oracle of the 21st century, in which we, the 99%, are, in fact, the zombies...who are starting to wake up to their plight, despite the fireworks exploding in their eyes (a beautiful and lyrical critique of society), while the same uncouth individuals still fight over money and power.

Next generation: "Night of the Homeless!"

5 stars out of 4, and 11 points out of 10. This movie gets right to the point and doesn't waste time on excessive exposition and character development on characters who ARE ALL GOING To DIE, SOON. We understand them right away. At any rate, its the all time greatest JOHN LEGUIZAMO performance. He makes this movie shine.

As I have said, life affirming.
TOS
land of the dead ... is that the one where there's an enclave of survivors on an urban island where the rich treat everyone like crap while the zombies gain intelligence?
TOS posted:
land of the dead ... is that the one where there's an enclave of survivors on an urban island where the rich treat everyone like crap while the zombies gain intelligence?

Yeah, that's the one.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Klute (1971) Jane Fonda, Donald Sutherland

Fonda won, like, a dozen "Best Actress" awards for this, including Golden Globe and Oscar.
The tropes are well-worn (Prostitute falls for cop who is protecting her from mysterious stalker), but the way Fonda chews the scenery makes every minute of this movie eminently watchable.
... and she is just gorgeous ... :awe:
Iron Sky 2 (Netflix) -- Incredibly stupid but also kind of awesome. The humor is dated, stuck with the tropes the 1st movie did, the whole movie should have been about Trumpism. But the chutzpah and scope of the movie are still entertaining. Only watch if you've ever wanted to see lizard-person Hitler riding on the back of a Tryranossaur screaming "Sieg Heil, Mutterfickers!!"

Blade Runner: the final cut (Netflix). Honestly, I've never loved Blade Runner and see it as a movie all about goth-style with very little plot or character development. This version is definitely better than the theatrical release though....although it sort of makes the "Decker is a replicant" theory seem more obvious since he never behaves like a believable human being at any time in the movie.

Doom: Annihilation (Netflix). Exactly what it says on the tin. If you like bad horror movies with amateurish acting and risible dialogue...well this one is fantastic. Although it's fairly disposable, it accurately captures the look and feel of the game (Doom 3 mostly), and at any rate I enjoyed it more than that movie with The Rock.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Blade Runner
Watched this with my 15 year old son.
Of course he had a big laugh at the date the movie takes place (2019), then asked if that is what we thought the future would look like back in the '80s. I said that it was more like what the 80s felt like.
Then within about 15 minutes he asked if we find out Deckard is actually a replicant as well.

It's always interesting to see what predictions would be accurate and whatnot.
Of course we don't have air cars and LA isn't getting constant rain, and thankfully we don't have as much cigarette smoke.
Newspapers?

The only replicant I can actually imagine being built are the pleasure models. I can't see what reason the other have for looking human.
TOS
Séamas posted:
The only replicant I can actually imagine being built are the pleasure models. I can't see what reason the other have for looking human.

meanwhile, in 2020 ...
Metacell posted:
...although it sort of makes the "Decker is a replicant" theory seem more obvious since he never behaves like a believable human being at any time in the movie.

I noticed at least on this viewing that the other Blade Runner you see in the movie (the one that gets killed) has more than a passing resemblance --and vocal character--as Harrison Ford. As if they are from the same mold.

Overall, I like the movie, but I have to say the 'speech' by Rutger Hauer is wayyyy overrated by the fans of this movie. it was delivered well, but kinda like middle school poetry.
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019): Yeah...out of all the Quentin Tarantino movies I've seen (most of them), I'd have to say this is the one I've enjoyed the least. You really need to have that Hollywood nostalgia it shares with itself, and I just don't. The recreation of 1969 was pretty good though.

Under the Skin (2013)(Netflix): I have a hard time with some indie art films because while some of them are just undeniably good, many tread a netherworld of so-bad-its-good to pretentiously awful while hiding behind its veneer of artistry to cover up the fact that its actually badly written trash. However the difficulty with this film is that's its just so uncomfortable. It feels sort of like a nature documentary made by aliens while performing experiments on us. Long and slow, mostly scenes of Scarlett Johannson staring unblinking into space while driving her truck or walking around in tight clothes or stripping out of them...interspersed with surreal and disturbing sequences of body horror. My final verdict is that...when you take it all in, its pretty good, mostly for the atmosphere. The soundtrack is amazing. Not quite up to Cronenberg levels though, but still has a 70's grindhouse feel.
The Wicker Man.

It's got everything. beautiful Scottish scenery, tits, Christopher Lee, Britt Ekland, Britt Elkand's tits, the stand -in for Britt Elkand dancing around all nude and the money shot: pagan witches burning a christian alive.

Being there One of my favorite movies ever.
My kids found it a bit slow--kept asking if it was really a comedy. I think my son's dislike of his middle name (Chance) increased.
Donkey Butter jerk face
Under the Skin - hands down the worst movie I've ever seen. just awful from start to finish. nearly turned it off before the opening sequence was finished because of the "music" if you can call that music.
Incredibles 2 (2018).

Man, I needed this!

In fact right after watching the DVD late last night, I rewatched it playing the commentary track. Instead of having the director Brad Bird do this, he just introduced it to have 3 of his head animators talk about the movie. It was interesting to hear that the animators competed to get into some of the "choicer" segments such as the bed scene between Bob and Helen Parr where they discuss the plan to have Elastigirl be the persona for the legalization of superheroes.
We re-watched that one on Friday.
I thought it had its moments, but was a let down. Probably due to the anticipation.

I'd love to see a series of Frozone shorts.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
DEyncourt posted:
Incredibles 2 (2018).

Man, I needed this!

In fact right after watching the DVD late last night, I rewatched it playing the commentary track. Instead of having the director Brad Bird do this, he just introduced it to have 3 of his head animators talk about the movie. It was interesting to hear that the animators competed to get into some of the "choicer" segments such as the bed scene between Bob and Helen Parr where they discuss the plan to have Elastigirl be the persona for the legalization of superheroes.

I bought a box set of both movies for the family as a treat a while back. I had seen the first movie, but my wife had not seen either. Needless to say, all of us enjoyed them.

Personally? I think this sequel is one of those rare movies that is actually better than the first.
TOS
Donkey Butter posted:
Under the Skin - hands down the worst movie I've ever seen. just awful from start to finish. nearly turned it off before the opening sequence was finished because of the "music" if you can call that music.

interesting, i heard it was good
Donkey Butter posted:

I can see hating it, it sort of skirted the valley for me, but I positively disagree on the soundtrack, which perfectly illustrated the mood of complete despair and alienation.

Despite this absolutely not being for a mainstream box-office (or more likely because of this), its highly rated by critics. The BBC place it no. 61 on the 100 greatest films of the 21st century list. But they place Mulholland Drive at #1, to give you an idea.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
TOS posted:
Donkey Butter posted:

It's not bad, it's just extremely weird. Absolutely not a Hollywood kind of movie. Not for everyone.
Anyway, I don't think its as good as Basket Case.
Ad Astra (2019) Brad Pitt. I liked it. The first half of the story borrows heavily from Apocalypse Now (Heart Of Darkness).
Ribtor posted:
Ad Astra (2019) Brad Pitt. I liked it. The first half of the story borrows heavily from Apocalypse Now (Heart Of Darkness).

At his last appearance on the Late Show, Colbert chided Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson about part of his tweeted review of this movie: "Space pirates on the Moon?" (perhaps not an exact quote).

Tyson explained that getting into space is REALLY expensive so he wondered what could be so valuable that it could explain the existence of space pirates at all.
Donkey Butter jerk face
ukimalefu posted:
TOS posted:
Donkey Butter posted:

It's not bad, it's just extremely weird. Absolutely not a Hollywood kind of movie. Not for everyone.

I so wanted it to be good, but it just felt like it was trying too hard to be something. The concept isn't bad but the implementation failed in my book.

I don't know, maybe I'm just not the target audience. (I don't mind some weird conceptual stuff but this was just, just no good)
Donkey Butter jerk face
Metacell posted:
Donkey Butter posted:

I can see hating it, it sort of skirted the valley for me, but I positively disagree on the soundtrack, which perfectly illustrated the mood of complete despair and alienation.

Despite this absolutely not being for a mainstream box-office (or more likely because of this), its highly rated by critics. The BBC place it no. 61 on the 100 greatest films of the 21st century list. But they place Mulholland Drive at #1, to give you an idea.

Oh man it was that soundtrack that I hated the most. I just hurt my ears.

I do love that different people can watch the same thing and yet have a completely different take away from it.

I'm thinking this just wasn't my cup of tea, but then I also don't like tea so… :lol:
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Frozen 2. Unremarkable. Unmemorable.
obvs To hell with toilet paper. I own a bidet
DEyncourt posted:
Ribtor posted:

At his last appearance on the Late Show, Colbert chided Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson about part of his tweeted review of this movie: "Space pirates on the Moon?" (perhaps not an exact quote).

Tyson explained that getting into space is REALLY expensive so he wondered what could be so valuable that it could explain the existence of space pirates at all.
What if they were born in space?
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Robert B. posted:
Frozen 2. Unremarkable. Unmemorable.

Compared to the first one? Just trying to get an idea on whether you thought the first was good and this one bad, or you felt the same about both?
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Wargames ('83)

As an adult, I notice the technical flaws, but wow, that was some movie.
obvs posted:
DEyncourt posted:
Ribtor posted:

What if they were born in space?

Not much help.

In the days of sea piracy on Earth, the pirates stole their first ships by the crew and perhaps including the captain turning renegade (as opposed to, say, the British Navy capturing Spanish galleons, though undoubtedly the Spaniards called all such captures piracy), and then afterwards upgrading to bigger ships via capture. Those pirates would wander the seas looking for other ships to plunder while in between docking in SOME ports for resupply of food, fresh water, ammo and crew.

Could the space pirates of Ad Astra similarly steal a ship? Perhaps if launches into space had become that frequent.

But they still would have the problem of resupply. Where would space pirates go? I have not seen the movie so perhaps the Moon has become so well populated that likewise renegade shops or even towns exist there. So the problem of resupply shifts to them: what in space is so valuable to make going renegade or at least supplying the black market seem worthwhile? Perhaps the movie introduced some mumbo-jumbo like gold-pressed latinum or had someone just exclaim that "water and oxygen are more precious than gold here!"
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Quote:
But they still would have the problem of resupply. Where would space pirates go?

Persephone
jkahless Custom Title
Wheel never stops turning.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
The Addams Family
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 185, 186, 187, 188, 189