What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 180, 181, 182, 183, 184
Online now: Google [Bot], Jonesy, Majestic-12 [Bot], maurvir
Séamas Honorary Consul General
The Big Lebowski
Seen it a bazillion stick fiddling times, man, but this was the first stick fiddling time watching it with my stick fiddling son who stick fiddling loved it, man.

The Salesman (1969)
I watched this documentary about door to door Bible salesmen after seeing the spoof "Globesmen" on Documentary Now!.

Man these guys were total dicks. Doing all sorts of manipulations and guilt trips trying to get people to buy overpriced illustrated Bibles.
It is also alarming to see how different the world looked back when I was a two year old.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
Avengers: Endgame

:up:
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Anybody seen Brighburn?
Flight of the Phoenix (2004) The remake with Dennis Quaid. Doesn't improve on the older film but is decent enough if you've never seen the original.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Ribtor posted:
Flight of the Phoenix (2004) The remake with Dennis Quaid. Doesn't improve on the older film but is decent enough if you've never seen the original.

If you have seen the original, skip it. In fact, screw the remake and go find a copy of the original.
Scary Stories. Was ok.
Jackie Brown

Better than I remembered--then again I thought it was kinda forgettable the first time I saw it --which was totally true for me because I forgot most of it.
Pam Grier is fantastic, Samuel L. Jackson wears his most outlandish hairpiece and says the n-word and confused individual a lot (it is a Tarantino movie after all).
Fun to see DeNiro play second fiddle. I can't believe I forgot about Bridget Fonda though. I had a crush on her.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Aquaman

10 minutes into the movie: Bad guy pinned beneath torpedo. Submarine filling up with water. Instead of breathing from the closed circuit rebreather that he's been wearing the whole time and buying himself a few hours, bad guy chooses to activate an explosive device and kill himself.

SO DUMB.
Ended up watching Brightburn; it was just so-so.
Pretty Woman (1990) Juila Roberts, Richard Gere. I like Romantic comedies as a genre but I couldn't get past half way because it was so slow. Roberts was good. Not much is asked of the male lead in these kinds of movies but Gere seemed even more bored than he usually appears. I didn't know George Costanza was in this film.

The 39 Steps (1935) Classic early Hitchcock. He remade this film a few times over with different characters but the same plot. Highly recommended.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Pretty Woman is one of the worst piece of trash movies I've ever seen. 39 Steps is great.
Invader Zim: into the Florpus (Netflix)

It's just like the Invader Zim I remember
TOS
Séamas posted:
Jackie Brown

Better than I remembered--then again I thought it was kinda forgettable the first time I saw it --which was totally true for me because I forgot most of it.
Pam Grier is fantastic, Samuel L. Jackson wears his most outlandish hairpiece and says the n-word and confused individual a lot (it is a Tarantino movie after all).
Fun to see DeNiro play second fiddle. I can't believe I forgot about Bridget Fonda though. I had a crush on her.

i still think that's the best tarantino movie
Jackie Brown...loved it because it's about a white man who worships Kali, just like me, and is victorious!
juice Inadvertently correct
Tootsie, followed by The Graduate, followed by Marathon Man. (Summer Under The Stars on TCM)

Hoffman is a really good actor.
Dave ChappelleL Sticks & Stones. Great. Great. great. And that's as far as I go.
Waterloo (1970) Rod Steiger, Christopher Plummer. Napoleon's return from exile to his army's defeat at Waterloo. Grand scale film-making.
A Beautiful Mind (2001) Russell Crowe is great in the highly fictionalised account of John Nash's paranoid schizophrenia. Recommended.
The Princess Bride
We had an outdoor / backyard movie night with our neighbors. Figured this would be inoffensive enough (their daughters don't go for edgy).
It fit the bill. It's entertaining at times but I still don't get the love for it. IMHO if could have been done a lot better.

Yesterday: (Labor day, rained most of the day, also slightly hungover)
Rocky
A good movie about a really dumb boxer.
It is pretty slow. Most of it takes place in the armpit of Philadelphia. How depressing is it that the richest/greatest country in the world seems to have as many slums and sh*tholes than any place in the first world?

Rocky II
A really stupid sequel about the really dumb boxer. I never saw this, at least never saw the whole thing. Story is not every interesting and the boxing scenes are absolutely ridiculous. I can't understand why boxing fans like these movies. Has there ever been a heavyweight fight were anyone comes lose to this many blows to the head and survives?

Rocky III Just for the lulz.
I remember when this came out people said it was better than Rocky II. I'm not so sure, except Mr. T was does a better acting job than just about anyone in the whole series.
About 3/4 through this I wouldn't have been at all surprised if Rocky and Apollo ended up making out.

I didn't bother with Rocky IV, I saw it in the theater when it came out.
X-Men Dark Phoenix. Save your money and your time. Simply awful. The critics were right, Logan was a better film to end that chapter of X-Men stories.
TOS
Ribtor posted:
Waterloo (1970) Rod Steiger, Christopher Plummer. Napoleon's return from exile to his army's defeat at Waterloo. Grand scale film-making.

that movie is one of my guilty pleasures

they were hyper-fanatical about being historically accurate, and filmed most of it in the soviet union with red army soldiers serving as napoleonic extras

it lost a bundle, and killed stanley kubrick's napoleon movie, but i still enjoy it
Vulture 420
Saw the first 2 Hellraiser movies, never saw them before because I thought they looked stupid, and they're pretty stupid. Also saw Hereditary which looked stupid and boring from all the trailers and other hype out there, however that movie was very good and frightening on a deep level by the end. Lastly, saw The Rite with Anthony Hopkins about an exorcist in Rome, also very good slightly frightening movie with Rutger Hauer as the main character's father.
Vulture posted:
Saw the first 2 Hellraiser movies, never saw them before because I thought they looked stupid, and they're pretty stupid.

I am pretty sure I saw Hellraiser II * in the theater when it came out and found it pretty stupid but also unnecessarily hard to follow. Then maybe about five years ago I tried watching the first one. Couldn't be bothered to see the whole thing.

* There is a chance that the movie I saw in the theater was Phantasm II.
The only thing I remember was I was dating someone that summer/fall and went to the movies once and saw a weird sequel horror with an odd object.
I might watch the new Pet Semetary today.
Watched it. Was ok at best.
Vulture 420
Séamas posted:
* There is a chance that the movie I saw in the theater was Phantasm II.
The only thing I remember was I was dating someone that summer/fall and went to the movies once and saw a weird sequel horror with an odd object.

Wow Phantasm II, also never saw it, but from what I can tell from the web it looks even stupider :lol: Fun fact, Brad Pitt auditioned for the lead role in that movie and didn't get the role. Strangely James Le Gros who did looks like a stockier, goofier Brad Pitt.
I like the Hellraiser movies...at least the first two. They're way more than any Fri. 13th movie could hope to be, although they serve the same purpose.

I love Phantasm II...better than the *great* original. Yeah, they're low budget grindhouse movies, but Don Coscarelli is a brilliant, visionary director. Watch Bubba Ho-Tep or John Dies at the End if you don't believe me.

Phantasm III was lame though.
TOS
it

not bad, but overrated
By the time you saw it, it was guaranteed to be overrated. But admit you enjoyed it.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
justine posted:

The first one sucked. The remake was not an improvement.

Even the cover of the song sucked.

Last edited by Robert B. on Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:21 am.

I disagree, it was at least R rated unlike 95% of horror movies released today.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
Ready Player One

Biggest, most over the top collection of CGI and pop culture references. If you can enjoy that, then make some popcorn and watch it.

If you want to watch a decent story and characters expending most of their lives in a virtual reality world, then watch the Sword Art Online anime.
TOS
Metacell posted:
By the time you saw it, it was guaranteed to be overrated. But admit you enjoyed it.

some things i liked, but i feel like they didn't capture the vibe of the book -- the ever-present sense of dread

also i was a bit distracted by the location -- i used to live in the town where it was shot so i was constantly trying to find familiar spots
Just watched Steven Universe: The Musical Movie. The music in it is absolutely delightful.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/io9-discusses-t ... 1837942363
Allied (2016) Brad Pitt, Marion Cotillard directed by Robert Zemeckis. Pretty good WWII espionage story. Worth a look.
Robert B. posted:
justine posted:

The first one sucked. The remake was not an improvement.

Even the cover of the song sucked.

I found that they made it more gruesome than the first, but i haven't seen the first one in ages.
Perfect (1985) Travolta, Jaime Lee Curtis, Jann Wenner. A Rolling Stone Reporter gets involved with an aerobics instructor. Avoid.
ukimalefu posted:
Ready Player One

Biggest, most over the top collection of CGI and pop culture references. If you can enjoy that, then make some popcorn and watch it.

If you want to watch a decent story and characters expending most of their lives in a virtual reality world, then watch the Sword Art Online anime.

The first 3/4 of the first season of SAO is pretty good, before they get out of the virtual world. After that it turns into Kirito being oblivious to the fact that all of the female characters want to sleep with him, including his “sister,” and that gets old reallllllly fast.
Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore.
I once caught about 15 minutes of this, so seeing it from beginning to end was rather interesting. I don't know why, but I never knew Scorsese directed it.
Better than I thought it would be (due to my previous limited exposure). The prologue/flashback was interesting and I though should have been carried further stylistically.
I still had trouble seeing how this could inspire a TV sitcom.
Many reviews laud this movie for the humor, but to me, much of what is depicted is too troubling to see the humor. (then again the sitcom it inspired fell into that range of 70s shows that are kind of dark.
Definitely shows the horror women face when choosing a boyfriend/lover/husband.
The son (Tommy) is hard to take, but in all, he and his behavior are perfectly understandable considering his situation. yeah, mom loves him very much, but he is seriously being neglect and/or worse.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 180, 181, 182, 183, 184