Page: 1 ... 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183
Online now: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]
C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
user posted:
can't deal with another childish duuuude sooperhero film

So don't watch it. Problem solved.
user Stupid cockwomble
that was implicit in my post

not meant as criticism of your enthusiasm...just what I thought as as I watched the previews.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
The Dirty Dozen
I was surprised at how awful this was.
The story is pretty asinine and not really believable. Not that movies have to be believable, but this genre usually sticks to some semblance of it.
The storytelling is also pretty awful.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Séamas posted:
The Dirty Dozen
The story is pretty asinine and not really believable. Not that movies have to be believable, but this genre usually sticks to some semblance of it.

:mad:
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Séamas posted:
The Dirty Dozen

Lee Marvin wasn't a big fan of it either. I, on the other hand, love that movie.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Pithecanthropus posted:
Séamas posted:
The Dirty Dozen

Lee Marvin wasn't a big fan of it either. I, on the other hand, love that movie.

:up: I grew up on all of these flicks. All the old western and war flicks.
user Stupid cockwomble
I had trouble with them dropping bombs on the people in that chalet. Just saying that they were Nazis didn't mitigate the sheer cruelty of it.

I prefer Kelly's Heroes.
Best WW2 movie might be "A Walk In The Sun" (1945)
user posted:
I had trouble with them dropping bombs on the people in that chalet. Just saying that they were Nazis didn't mitigate the sheer cruelty of it.

I prefer Kelly's Heroes.

Yep. I was thinking the same thing. Kelly's Heroes is great.
Ribtor posted:
Best WW2 movie might be "A Walk In The Sun" (1945)

Might also be Casablanca.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
"The Witch" (Netflix)

Everything you hate and fear about the Western Christian Roman Empire summed up in one beautifully filmed period horror film. Kinda' brilliant.
Captain Marvel....like Ant Man and The Wasp, It felt like a bunch of stitched together action sequences with a few jokes to fill in for characterization and story. Ok, maybe that's a little harsh, but it takes about a third of the movie before I even start to feel like I'm watching people acting in a drama...I think they could have told this story better than starting in on the action half-way through and giving us the backstory in flashback snippets, but then I guess it would take time and writing. Which isn't to say it was awful, just mildly amusing stuff we've seen before, albeit with Kree and Skrull which slightly annoys me because all the Marvel space stuff is spunoff from The Fantastic Four, so it always feels out of place without them, Galactus, Silver Surfer, Doctor Doom, etc. I suppose one day they'll redo it all again with EVERY superhero teamup. *sigh* here's my $6 (senior discount by then).
Metacell posted:
...felt like a bunch of stitched together action sequences with a few jokes to fill in for characterization and story.

That's they way I feel about almost all of the super hero movies.
Saving Mr. Banks

This is an account of the author PL Travers and her reluctance to see her Mary Poppins character made into a film.
She is a tricky character, seems to never want to be pleased by anything. She has an uncompromising disdain for Walt Disney and the product he creates.
While I have long been of the mind that Disney movies, etc can be overly saccharine, I had to in many ways side with Mr. Disney's perspective. Despite several faults, there can be no denying the quality of the work that came from his studio.
The movie delves into her background which had several hardships and it manages to force a somewhat happy ending.
Just watched "A Star is Born" (the remake) the other night; damn powerful movie. Hats off to Mr. Cooper and Lady Gaga.

I've got to say this is probably one of the best of the year so far if not the best. Storyline and more storyline. Proof you do not need uber effects.
macnuke Afar
avkills posted:
Just watched "A Star is Born" (the remake) the other night; damn powerful movie. Hats off to Mr. Cooper and Lady Gaga.

I've got to say this is probably one of the best of the year so far if not the best. Storyline and more storyline. Proof you do not need uber effects.

go watch the second version (remake) with Barbara and Kris.
macnuke posted:
avkills posted:

I can imagine the original is just as good if not better.
macnuke Afar
avkills posted:
macnuke posted:
avkills posted:

I didn't know there was an earlier. the second was pre internet.
but when i found out. i watched it.
hold the perspective of the day and it's a good one also.
macnuke posted:
avkills posted:
macnuke posted:
avkills posted:

Hmm I thought the one with Barbara and Kris was the original. :awe:
macnuke Afar
avkills posted:
macnuke posted:
avkills posted:
macnuke posted:
avkills posted:

actually....
1937 original
I saw the 1954 version and thought that was original. (judy Garland)
94% on Rotten Tomatos
kristof and streisand were the 3rd A Star is Born.
Gaga and bradley are #4
Hunter Killer (2018) Gerard Butler, Gary Oldman. Oldman is really slumming his way to a paycheque in this god awful action travesty about submarines and rogue Russians trying to start a war. Maybe as a drinking-game movie the film has merit, otherwise, avoid.
juice Inadvertently correct
That might be your best review yet.
The Third Man (1949)

Famous Noir thriller in post-war Vienna starring Joseph Cotten and Orson Welles. Beautiful cinematography, but I found the story hackneyed. Maybe it was revolutionary at the time, but I feel its been absorbed into our cartoon culture by now. The ending is sweet. Alida Valli is hot.
The Other Guys (2010) Will Ferrell, Mark Wahlberg. Ferrell is great. The Lion vs tuna argument is gold. "Desk pop!" Fun.
user Stupid cockwomble
Wonder Woman

Nicely done. Chris Pine was a good choice to play opposite.
macnuke posted:
avkills posted:
macnuke posted:
avkills posted:
macnuke posted:
avkills posted:

actually....
1937 original
94% on Rotten Tomatos
Gaga and bradley are #4

Interesting...thanks for the info.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
Glass

:up:

Very Good. But Unbreakable is still the best superhero movie ever :p
avkills posted:
macnuke posted:
avkills posted:
macnuke posted:
avkills posted:
macnuke posted:
avkills posted:

actually....
1937 original
94% on Rotten Tomatos
Gaga and bradley are #4

Interesting...thanks for the info.

Deleted scene from A Star Is Born

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3dnMKeLgSg
Easter Bunny, Kill! Kill! (2006). Body count: 8.

You get a brutal murder in the first minute, then you have to wait a very long time before the next. Some of the scenes (the hooker scene especially) go on way too long. The final half hour makes the whole film.

Super low budget, starring no one you've ever seen before. Worth it if you're into that kind of thing. Avoid it if not.
Metacell posted:
The Third Man (1949)

Famous Noir thriller in post-war Vienna starring Joseph Cotten and Orson Welles. Beautiful cinematography, but I found the story hackneyed. Maybe it was revolutionary at the time, but I feel its been absorbed into our cartoon culture by now. The ending is sweet. Alida Valli is hot.

Love the chase scene. Couldn't work as well today now that everyone wears soft-soul shoes. The clickity clack of the shoes as the people ran through the sewer was iconic, as was the zither music.
Séamas posted:
Metacell posted:
The Third Man (1949)

Love the chase scene. Couldn't work as well today now that everyone wears soft-soul shoes. The clickity clack of the shoes as the people ran through the sewer was iconic, as was the zither music.

Yeah, the music is cool.
Grass is Greener (Netflix)

The joint (sic) history of marijuana and hip-hop from jazz through rock directed by Fab 5 Freddy. Pretty darn good and you know exactly what the viewing prerequisites are.
Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)

I might enjoy it more after seeing it a second time, which is often the case with Coen Bros movies.
Even though it came out six years ago I very much anticipated seeing it (tempus fugit).

It was far darker than I expected, and had a much different feel to it than any of the Coen bros movies I have seen. It was said to be a dark comedy, but I had some difficulty in finding the comedy.
Part of my problem was having a different expectation of what it would be and the other with watching it with my kids, who found it troubling.--

(Yeah bad decision watching it with a 12 year old, but it isn't as bad as my father in law taking my wife and her friends to see All That Jazz when they were that age)
gd Hero of Twilight
Avengers Endgame
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
ukimalefu posted:
Atomic Blonde

:up:

Indeed.

Movies like this and the Bourne series make the Bond movies a bloated, dated joke.

Bond should to go back to its post war roots. Not that it should be like a Le Carre Tinker Tailor kind of thing but the story-telling would benefit from a simpler time line
Snowpiercer. Off-the-wall dystopian sci-fi action movie from Korea. Pretty darn good.
Metacell posted:
Snowpiercer. Off-the-wall dystopian sci-fi action movie from Korea. Pretty darn good.

Until you start to think about it. For example: how do the children get to school?
Pithecanthropus posted:
Metacell posted:

Until you start to think about it. For example: how do the children get to school?

I think it's really utterly ludicrous, but it's just an interesting setting and allegory. But in addition, "We survived all this, just to be eaten by bears?"
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
“What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.
Except bears. Bears will kill you.”
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183