What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180
Online now: Bing (sucks), Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], ukimalefu
War Machine (2017) Satirical fictionalised film about the Gen McChrystal's year in A'stan and the futility of counter-insurgency operations. Brad Pitt stars and is excellent but the film is uneven. Worth a look for those interested in the subject.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
TCM is running Oscar movies.
Yesterday I saw "The Black Swan" (1942), Tyrone Power and Maureen O'Hara, a pirate movie.
Except for the Disneyfication, the plot and characters of "POTC The Black Pearl" were lifted almost directly from this movie; it could almost be considered a reboot.
THe climatic sword fight between Power and George Sanders will rank in my top three, after the Errol Flynn and Basil Rathbone fights in Captain Blood and Robin Hood.
juice Inadvertently correct
Captain Blood was on TCM yesterday as well.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
Venom

*sigh*

Disappointed, only Marvel should do Marvel.
Be Kind, Rewind (2008) Jack Black, Mos Def, Danny Glover, Melonie Diaz, Mia Farrow. A recently magnetised man accidentally erases all of the tapes in a struggling VHS rental business in a condemned building so the manager and the man have to re-shoot all the movies by themselves (they call it "swedeing"). It proves so successful they might even make enough money to save the condemned building. Brilliant and charming film written and directed by Michel Gondry.
The Predator - 2018

They tried to make a Spielberg movie, without Spielberg, with cursing and violence. I did actually laugh at the one good joke.
Bohemian Rhapsody (2018) Great. I liked the bit with a heavily made-up Mike Myers as a record executive passing over Bohemian Rhapsody as a radio single because he thought a six minute song wouldn't appeal to teenage boys who just want to rock-out in their cars.
I though the film was plenty 'gay' and I don't agree with the critics who felt it glossed over too much of Mercury's lifestyle. It's not a documentary. The lead actor held the movie together and was brilliant.

Last edited by Ribtor on Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:05 pm.

C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
Ralph Breaks the Internet

Not as good as the original, but it was a fun family film.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
The Ritual (Netflix). I'm not sure if its really about anything other than four British guys lost in the Swedish woods being stalked by their worst nightmare, but as horror movies go this is frickin' great.
TOS
the new apollo 11 documentary (in imax)

holy crap, it was amazing ... major fly-on-the-wall stuff, incredible footage, especially prior to the launch

really enjoyed it
Broken Arrow (1996) Travolta, Christian Slater, directed by John Woo. Completely mindless action flick loaded with continuity errors and atrocious dialogue. Recommended.
user Stupid cockwomble
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Ribtor posted:
Broken Arrow (1996) Travolta, Christian Slater, directed by John Woo. Completely mindless action flick loaded with continuity errors and atrocious dialogue. Recommended.

This is the fantastic flick where they outrun an atomic explosion, right?
Metacell posted:
Ribtor posted:

This is the fantastic flick where they outrun an atomic explosion, right?

while floating down an underground river

I remember watching it and thinking "this is by John Woo?"
Travolta looked like he was enjoying the whole thing.

The Man in The White Suit (1955). Alec Guinness. A chemist invents an indestructible cloth that won't even stain and then everything goes wrong when the labour union and the factory owner go after him for jeopardising their livelihoods. Satire on the futility of improvement.
user Stupid cockwomble
Let me guess: he's wearing the suit and being forced around town while workers and factory shills throw all sorts of stuff at him trying to stain the suit.
user posted:
Let me guess: he's wearing the suit and being forced around town while workers and factory shills throw all sorts of stuff at him trying to stain the suit.

Just about. Labour and capital join forces to prevent him from announcing his invention to the press.

Geostorm (2017) outrageously bad on just about every level. An array of satellites prevents extreme weather but gets taken over by bad people to be used as a weapon.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Robin and the Seven Hoods (1964). A "musical" starring the Rat Pack (well, a few of them anyway), Bing Crosby (in his last musical performance in a movie), Barbara Rush as "The Woman", and Peter Falk being awesome. Very few musical numbers, but you do get to hear Sinatra do "My Kind Of Town." A very oddly paced movie that never really seems to get anywhere.

It was being filmed when JFK was shot, and that put a big damper on the film that you can almost see.
Captain Marvel.

Typical Marvel fare, which is to say it is action filled, generally predictable, and loads of fun. I understand why incels and the red pullers hate this movie so much. Brie Larsen’s Marvel is a strong, confident, smart ass. Exactly the things weak men hate in a woman but love to believe of themselves. The cgi magic that de-ages Sam Jackson is solid and didn’t creep me out once. Lots of good supporting performances as well, other than Jude Law, who was just sort of annoying. If you like Marvel films, this is definitely a must see.
Wilde (1997) Stephen Fry, Jude Law, Michael Sheen, Ioan Gruffud. Second time seeing it. Not as good as I remembered. Everything is laid on a bit too thick. Jude Law is excellent as "bosie" and is completely repellent. Fry is brilliant in the role he was born to play and he's the reason I watched it.
Spider-Man into the Spider-verse

Turns out Sony can actually make a good Spider-Man movie

:D :up: :spidey:
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962) Jimmy Stewart, John Wayne. Not very good. The two leads are far too old to be credible. The plot hinges on the fact that the comic relief character, the town Marshall, is so inept that the town suffers and people are killed no one does anything about it. Bad plotting, bad acting (Wayne is a parody of himself and Stewart rarely stops shouting).
dv
Captain Marvel.

::taps vein::

Yeah, that's the stuff.

Afterwards, I did wonder how the magical space rock got from being in SHIELD's custody in 1945 (after Captain America) to being in Kree possession by 1989. I assume the rock can be in multiple places at once via the same space wedgie that allows the USS Enterprise to have a lifetimes's worth of adventures every season. I'm therefore not going to worry about it.
dv
Smurfs (2011)

Actually not a bad movie. Generic kids movie fluff, but hey.

Hank Azaria seemed to be having almost too much fun being Gargamel. (I saw some production stills of him in costume back in 2010, and that was why I added the movie to my watch-this-some-day list. 9 years later...)

It's definitely a sincere, well funded effort at doing a Smurfs movie and I'm glad I saw it. Plenty of fun cameos and stuff-for-adults-that-kids-won't-get as a bonus.
gd Ya boi, Guzma
Captain Marvel... it was meh.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
The Dirt. It could've been so much better if Netflix had put more money into its production.
user Stupid cockwomble
Just not the same without Joe.
obvs precoupado
Us. Get Out was much better. I wasn't really impressed with Us, and wanted to walk out. I predicted the ending fairly early on.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Thunderball
I recall enjoying this when I saw it as a kid when they aired a bunch of Bond movies.

It seems to hit most of the marks of a Connery era Bond movie. I mean, jetpack, sharks, underwater scuba fight., etc.
dv
Bumblebee was delightfully not terrible, despite Michael Bay being involved.
Behind the Curve
A documentary about the Flat Earther "movement"
One thing I really appreciated was how charitable the scientists were not afraid to comment about just how bad science communication and journalism has been over recent decades--taking the blame a bit.
It was great that they didn't make wholesale "stupid" "crazy" criticisms but mostly went after underlying causes of these weird pseudoscience beliefs.

Mark Sargent was interesting, as unlike the other flat earthers, seemed to have much more of an easy rapport and clear communication, which I think is part of what made him (rather than that screaming guy Matt) the "leader' of the movement.

Sad that any of the experiments that they use that shoot down their theory are immediately ignored, or dismissed or explained away.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Quote:
Sad that any of the experiments that they use that shoot down their theory are immediately ignored, or dismissed or explained away.

Why?
Their conclusions are wrong. No amount of 'experimentation' will prove that there is a flat earth.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
or did I miss read you, and it's the flat-earthers who dismiss the actual scientists?
justine posted:
The Dirt. It could've been so much better if Netflix had put more money into its production.

user posted:
Just not the same without Joe.

:lol:
DukeofNuke posted:
or did I miss read you, and it's the flat-earthers who dismiss the actual scientists?

No, the flat earthers on two occasions in the movie develop pretty decent scientifically sound means of testing their hypothesis--then their test results show evidence of Earth=Globe. In one instance the guy just refuses to accept the results, comes up with a new control that again shows Earth=Globe and then pretty much tries to hide the conclusion.
The other one doesn't go to into what the guy does other than say "interesting".

It's possible he accepted the result--we are sort of left hanging there as it is at the end
Séamas posted:
DukeofNuke posted:

No, the flat earthers on two occasions in the movie develop pretty decent scientifically sound means of testing their hypothesis--then their test results show evidence of Earth=Globe. In one instance the guy just refuses to accept the results, comes up with a new control that again shows Earth=Globe and then pretty much tries to hide the conclusion.
The other one doesn't go to into what the guy does other than say "interesting".

It's possible he accepted the result--we are sort of left hanging there as it is at the end

It's only science if you're trying to find the truth, whatever it is, and NOT if you only want prove you're right. Proving your hypothesis was wrong is as good as proving it was right. And don't forget the peer reviews and all that.
No argument here.

It was just interesting that these individuals had the right idea on constructing their experiment, but decided to fumble the ball once they got a result they cannot emotionally handle.
West Side Story
Love the fact that they shot on location. It's a cool look at the NYC that no longer exists.
I'm generally not a fan of most Broadway style dance (esp Fosse), but this one has great inventiveness and the camera tracks the dynamics and extensions perfectly.
As for the casting, Natalie Wood is a fine actress, but much like My Fair Lady (another film where Marnie Nixon has to dub the lead actress), it'd be nice to have the lead actress' role played by a singer, and perhaps a latina.

All the President's Men
I guess this is a look at a Washington DC that no longer exists--or a glimpse of what DC would become. Or of an industry that no longer exists. A well made and well told story about a part of our society we take too much for granted.

IMHO, I think there was something of a golden age of American movies from about 1967 to 1980--starting at when the studio system crumbled and ending around when the Blockbuster mentality when full bore. Not that there haven't been great movies from before or since, but that there seemed to be so many very great ones made then.
C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
Shazam!

Super fun. A nice change from DC's other, darker films (which I also enjoy).
user Stupid cockwomble
can't deal with another childish duuuude sooperhero film
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180