What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 173, 174, 175, 176, 177
Online now: Jonesy
2010: The Year We Make Contact (1984) Nothing like 2001 but stands on its own as a decent sci-fi movie.

Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018) The usual. The smirkiness was forced though.
juice Inadvertently correct
Agreed on 2010
Hurricane Bianca was hilarious.
I just got the 4K UHD bluray of the 2001: A Space Odyssey 50th anniversary remaster. I haven’t watched it yet because I am in Vancouver, but it is the next movie that I am going to watch.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
So you are in Vancouver...you gonn'a smoke some dope first?
Early Man (2018) made by Nick Park (Wallace & Gromit). Bronze age people kick a stone age tribe from their valley so they have a game of football to decide the matter. Voices by Eddie Redmayne, Timothy Spall, Maisie Williams, Tom Hiddleston...

Good fun.
Donkey Butter jerk face
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

I really enjoyed it (and my kids loved it too)
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Ant-Man and the Wasp. Much more entertaining than the Avengers films.
Metacell posted:
So you are in Vancouver...you gonn'a smoke some dope first?

Nah. I live in Kamloops, home of the first legal pot store in the province, so I don’t need to go to Vancouver. :lol:
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Warin posted:
I just got the 4K UHD bluray of the 2001: A Space Odyssey 50th anniversary remaster. I haven’t watched it yet because I am in Vancouver, but it is the next movie that I am going to watch.

How many discs does that come on or is it compressed all to hell?
Pariah posted:
Warin posted:

I think they use multilayer disks that can adjust the laser angle to pack motr data on the same disk?
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Betonhaus posted:
Pariah posted:
Warin posted:

I think they use multilayer disks that can adjust the laser angle to pack motr data on the same disk?

I thought the 4 layer bluray that could hold an entire, not compressed to human waste, 4k movie were not on the market yet. A typical 4k movie requires almost 130GB of space.
Pariah posted:
Warin posted:

One disc for the 4K feature. Two others for the extra features, but the are standard Blu-Ray discs.
Solo (Netflix)

Wasn't horrible, it just suffers from some bad TV writing...there's no real depth or characterization, it's just "young Han Solo doing what you'd expect." It looks better than a whole swath of Star Wars though and the action sequences are fun. Kinda' disappointed there probably won't be a sequel...maybe straight to Netflix next time? Weird that the huge budget alien space battle flick has become so commonplace that it doesn't get the once guaranteed ratings (c.f. Independence Day...a much worse movie).

Also, poor Ron Howard, I know he's a good filmmaker but he seems to have spent the last decade rolling out huge flops.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
I watched made 15-20 minutes of Solo before turning it off. Too fuckin' stupid.
macnuke Afar
The Godfather

hadn't seen it for a number of years.
Michael has the OG down pretty good.
jkahless Custom Title
Metacell posted:
Solo (Netflix)

Wasn't horrible, it just suffers from some bad TV writing...there's no real depth or characterization, it's just "young Han Solo doing what you'd expect." It looks better than a whole swath of Star Wars though and the action sequences are fun.

I quite liked it, but I've never seen the original star wars flicks as novel in terms of overall quality, like Solo they're enjoyable action flicks with well trod plots (when you strip out the setting).
C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
jkahless posted:
Metacell posted:
Solo (Netflix)

Wasn't horrible, it just suffers from some bad TV writing...there's no real depth or characterization, it's just "young Han Solo doing what you'd expect." It looks better than a whole swath of Star Wars though and the action sequences are fun.

I quite liked it, but I've never seen the original star wars flicks as novel in terms of overall quality, like Solo they're enjoyable action flicks with well trod plots (when you strip out the setting).

I enjoyed it. And don't blame Ron for any shortcomings of the film. Keep in mind he was hired to salvage the pieces of a train wreck.
macnuke Afar
Happy Times Murders

Alternative Henson creation.
Sliding Doors (1997) Nice.

First Man (2018) A philosophical film about a philosophical man. Inter-cutting the stresses at home with those in space was a nice touch. Astronaut's wives are often portrayed as prisoners of their husband's ambitions and this film is no exception. Well worth a look. Even the Chinese subtitles were inconspicuous.
The Descendants (2011) George Clooney leads his daughters on a quest to confront the man his wife was having an affair with just before she went into a coma due to a boating accident. Shailene Woodley, Robert Forster, Judy Greer and Beau Bridges. All are great particularly the three central characters. A quiet film, highly recommended.
macnuke Afar
Green Book

based on a true story. well worth the time to watch.
I got partway through The Pass. God it was depressing, but relateable. I'd rather have watched Hurricane Bianca again.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
A Shot In The Dark (1964) the second Inspector Clouseau movie (of which there were a million). Frankly, apart from two or three bits that made me laugh really hard, I didn't find it that funny. The humor is all a bit too obvious.
dv
John Wick and the sequel.

River Tam beats up John Wick kills everyone.

Also every third person in NYC is apparently part of some secret guild of assassins who all speak every language and know every martial art but are really, really bad at recognizing patterns.
Gravity (2013) Great!

From Russia With Love (1963) Great too!
The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer (1947) Cary Grant, Myrna Loy, Shirley Temple. A court sentences Cary Grant to date a 17 year old girl so that she gets over her crush on him. Myrna Loy plays a judge and older sister to Shirley temple. She was in her early 40s and Temple was 20 (playing 17). The screenplay won an Oscar.
King Kong Escapes

Toho Studios' take on the Kong taken from island to city story. Mad scientist Dr. Who (obviously not that one) steals Kong and later makes him fight his giant robot MechaniKong in Tokyo. Until the that final fight the movie is really boring and the King Kong suit is just awful. Toho should've stuck to giant reptiles.

7 years later the MechaniKong idea was reused for Mechagodzilla.
This is the King Kong from King Kong vs. Godzilla that my friend describes as "not so much a silly rubber suit as an unconvincing piñata."

However, I thought the Gargantuas from War of the Gargantuas looked decent.
Venom (2018) Uneven. Mr Hardy was good. He usually is.
iDaemon infinitely loopy
“The Italian Job” - the 2003 version rocks. Cool plot of a gold heist gone bad then redeemed. Mark Wahlberg Charlize Theron - and the MINI Coopers.

I just recently became a MINI Cooper owner. A 2015 convertible. So I had a vested interest.

Roger Ebert liked it too. Fwiw.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
The Dirty Dozen. I figured it was a better thing to watch than the Superb Owl.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
"Ishtar" and "Heavens Gate" would have been better that that football game ...
It was a throwback to the wasteful games of the 80s.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
It literally set the bar for wasteful games.
Although I will say the teams were well matched ... :goth:
(as in, neither one of them could get human waste done)
TOS
my science project, stumbled across it on youtube

hasn't aged well, but it reminded me of how much i enjoyed it back when it came out (i think i was in grade 10)
Holy. human waste.

The 4K 2001 is absolutely amazing. It is truly a revelation. I have never seen it look so wonderful. I can only suspect how amazing it must have been in a 70mm theatre with a fresh print.
dv
dv
juice posted:
dv posted:

What did you think?

Really quite excellent.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 173, 174, 175, 176, 177