What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178 ... 181
Online now: Google [Bot]
TOS
chappaquidick

interesting movie about a really baffling incident

they didn't answer the longstanding questions, not really, but it was an interesting look at the character of ted kennedy, portraying him as the overlooked son failing to live up to the expectations of his father (and the examples set by his dead brothers)

not a five-star movie but moderately entertaining
obvs precoupado
Fahrenheit 11/9.

A lot of very frustrating information.
TOS
natural born killers

holds up pretty well, really

neat to see robert downey jr. before tony stark became his everything
user Stupid cockwomble
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
dv posted:
Saw Solo. People hated this?

Not so much hated as didn't love. And unecessary.
TOS
obvs posted:
Fahrenheit 11/9.

i find i've reached a kind of saturation point with michael moore's movies ... they're so smart and clear-headed about the problems facing america but it just seems so goddam futile and hopeless
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
TOS posted:
obvs posted:
Fahrenheit 11/9.

i find i've reached a kind of saturation point with michael moore's movies ... they're so smart and clear-headed about the problems facing america but it just seems so goddam futile and hopeless

I can no longer watch nature documentaries for the same reason. I don't want to see how beautiful the Earth is anymore...just want it to be over.
C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
Pithecanthropus posted:
dv posted:

Is there such thing as a necessary movie?
C. Ives posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:
dv posted:

Is there such thing as a necessary movie?

Certainly not, but Solo was unnecessary to the story of Han Solo. It was a cash grab.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
So is Rogue One, so are the prequels, so are the sequels...basically none of the other Star Wars movies is necessary to the story of Star Wars.

I think it was just bad timing: We just had a full Star Wars installment the prior Christmas, followed by three major Marvel action fantasy hits. The market was saturated and nobody was hungry for it.
Metacell posted:
So is Rogue One, so are the prequels, so are the sequels...basically none of the other Star Wars movies is necessary to the story of Star Wars.

I think it was just bad timing: We just had a full Star Wars installment the prior Christmas, followed by three major Marvel action fantasy hits. The market was saturated and nobody was hungry for it.

I won't argue with you. I am one of the few who hated Rogue One (the original trilogy was Buck Rodgers, Rogue One was Saving Private Ryan), and thought the prequels stank (Lucas was surrounded by yes-men.). I think the modern movies could have been done better, too, even though I found some parts very entertaining. Solo was just so-so, and, as I said, an obvious cash grab.
TOS
i just didn't think solo was very good ... as an explanation for how han became han it made no sense

his redemption happened in the original star wars, how does it make sense to have it happen years earlier?
Down To Earth (1947) Rita Hayworth. The Goddess Terpsichore is outraged by a Broadway musical based on her so she enlists the help of Mr Jordan (from Here Comes Mr. Jordan (1941)) to come down to earth and set things right. Fun sequel to HCMJ.

Remade as Xanadu in the 80s with Olivia Newton John and Gene Kelly.

Lincoln (2012) Mr Day-Lewis and Sally Fields were great but the entire film was a stilted history lesson in which just about all the dialogue was exposition intended to get the audience up to speed. Stereotyped characters and negro soldiers show up at opportune moments. Bad movie making. Should have been re-worked as a documentary with re-created scenes.

Die hard (1988) Did Trump go back in time and write the screenplay? Bashes the FBI and the press at every opportunity. Reactionary stuff from the usual gang of producers. It's not just a action thriller in 2019; it's a fever dream.

Doctor Strange (2016) Second viewing is even better than I remembered. I prefer the silly new agey mysticism over the Iron-Man techno crap. Cumberbatch was great in the role but Tilda Swinton stole the movie. But they do that stupid thing they always do in these movies; a friendly outsider witnesses incredible super-natural events but then in the next scene they forget what they witnessed and become skeptical again. Every time and every movie! It contributes nothing and is just lazy script padding. Far and away the best of the Marvel series.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Over the holidays:
Pee Wee's Christmas Special a must-watch every year at my house.
It's A Wonderful Life always good
Christmas Vacation I hate Chevy Chase but his is a great one
Austin Powers International Man of Mystery Hmm, Not as funny as I remember. Lots of awkward pauses after some not-as-funny-as they-think-jokes.
Austin Powers the Spy Who Shagged Me Joke is starting to get old.
Isle of Dogs Put me to sleep
Avengers Infinity Wars What the fiddlesticks is this human waste?
dv
Over the holidays, saw A Christmas Story (as always) and The Terminal.

Tom Hanks should have gotten an Oscar for that human waste.
TOS
this thread got me watching solo again

it really is lousy, terrible writing
Mary and the Witches Flower.

A cute little show. but now season 8 of Voltron is out so I'll watch that.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
TOS posted:

no
Séamas Honorary Consul General
The Little Hours

Raunchy comedy loosely based on a tale from the Decameron.
Aubrey Plaza and Alison Brie playing naughty nuns, not great, but not half bad either.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
TOS
ukimalefu posted:
TOS posted:

no

y'uh-huh
TOS
spider-man: into the spider-verse

holy cow, so awesome!! totally blown away

it's basically a quasi-meta tribute to stan lee and steve ditko and what spider-man became with the different universes

took my son (just turned 8) and he loved it too

what are you reading this for? go see it!
obvs precoupado
97% on Rotten Tomatoes from critics and 94% from audiences?

Well that might be a good thing to do tomorrow.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Avengers: Infinity Wars: Entertaining dialog, but this human waste didn't make any damn sense. Too many times their superhero brains failed to put their superhero powers to use to get them out of the many conundrums required by the plot. Wizard of time and space is trapped on a spaceship and forgets that he can wormhole himself and his friends out of there. Wizard and friends crashland on a planet again he forgets he can wormhole himself and his friends out of there. Fight with bad guy ensues and at any time they can wormhole themselves or bad guy, and they don't do that. Wizard, despite having declared his willingness to sacrifice his cohorts before giving up the stone, gives up the stone. This latter point, I'm sure will be further explained as necessary, given the wizard's earlier review of over 14,000 alternate future timelines and potential scenarios with only one winning result.

Why does Thor not have a Nordic accent? Why is he speaking in the received pronunciation?
dv
Robert B. posted:
Why does Thor not have a Nordic accent? Why is he speaking in the received pronunciation?

Because Thor in the comics spoke like the KJV Bible. It's actually toned down quite a bit for the movies.

It's the same reason all the Nazis have English accents. It's about how the audience interprets it, not historical accuracy.
obvs precoupado
It'll be a lot easier in the future when all of the Nazis have American accents.
dv
obvs posted:
It'll be a lot easier in the future when all of the Nazis have American accents.

Sorry, bud. You'll have to learn German to watch that movie. ;)
obvs precoupado
TOS
obvs posted:

"seig heil, y'all"

:(
im going to watch the spiderman movie this weekend. Spiderpig is supposed to be funny
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Went and saw Vice last night. Brilliant performance and great editing.
Alien (1979) Set a standard for space monster movies that I havn't seen matched. The ensemble cast and the way they behave and talk to each other makes this a classic. Effects hold up, allowing for 40 years since it was made, of course.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Step Sisters. LOL
The Meg (2018) Every cliched character and ripped-off scenes from other movies all in one film. Good effects though. Jaws had 'Pippet' the dog The Meg has 'Pippin' the dog. The plot holes were bigger than the shark.
Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Complete with the "do you think they should have cut this scene?" scene in the Castle Anthrax. Thank you, Netflix.
Is there a version where that's cut? I mean, they are doctors.
TOS
vice

i don't know why it flopped, i thought it was quite good

the performances were amazing, especially christian bale

i do think that last little breaking-the-fourth-wall soliloquy did not work ... they just showed a guy's whole life and summed it up with boilerplate justification for the iraq war? they should have aimed higher, made it about the nature of power, or the truth about america or whatever

they kept going on about the power of the presidency but they never showed why he believed in it, what his overall purpose was or really what the whole damn point was

Deathtrap (1982) Michael Caine, Christopher Reeve, Dyan Cannon. Dark comedy about what a frustrated playwright will do to get a hit play. Great fun.
Ribtor posted:
Is there a version where that's cut? I mean, they are doctors.

It's a short part during the Castle Anthrax scene, just a few moments before "the oral sex! The oral sex!"
user Stupid cockwomble
There was oral sex?

Damn, I missed it.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178 ... 181