What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 170, 171, 172, 173, 174
Online now: Google [Bot], juice, Pariah
Saw the film Casablanca projected in an opera house with a full orchestra providing the music, live.
TOS
heat

first time seeing it as a dad ... that scene with natalie portman, jesus christ

still one of my favourite movies evar
jkahless Custom Title
obvs posted:

Phenominal film. But you have to understand Kiwi humour.
user Stupid cockwomble
rather seedy, isn't it?
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Incredibles 2

:up: :up: :up:

*SPOILER ALERT*

If you need to promote superheroes back into legality: You better call Saul!
Donkey Butter jerk face
Free Solo

I have some climbing experience, and don't mind heights really, be there were some scenes in that movie that just had me shaking my head "nope"

Dude is nuts to have soloed El Cap.

If you are going to see the movie, see it in the theatre. (I don't think a small screen would do it justice.)
The Fountainhead (1949) Gary Cooper, Patricia Neal, screenplay by Ayn Rand.

Randian drivel distilled to a movie with some of the worst acting you will ever see. But stylish, and outrageously phallic throughout. Not intentionally a comedy.

Recommended.
maurvir Outlier
Ribtor posted:
The Fountainhead (1949) Gary Cooper, Patricia Neal, screenplay by Ayn Rand.

Randian drivel distilled to a movie with some of the worst acting you will ever see. But stylish, and outrageously phallic throughout. Not intentionally a comedy.

Recommended.

:lol:
Ant-Man and the Wasp

Just as fun and lighthearted as the first, and Evangeline Lilly has a much better haircut.
TOS
the secret of nimh (1982)

one of my all-time faves, though i hadn't seen it in a couple of decades ... kids are home sick so i introduced them to it (daughter was scared but son loved it)

i always loved don bluth's style, though the movie now seems fairly dark

was very surprised to see, in the closing credits, that two of the kid voices were wil wheaton and shannen doherty
NiMh, Li-ion King...

Movies to re-charge the soul..
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Life of Brian
First time my kids have seen it.
My daughter (turning 12 after Xmas) laughed throughout, but most certainly did NOT like Graham Chapman's full frontal nudity.
I still think Holy Grail was a funnier movie, but the Python's think 'Brian' is their best one--but I think the fact that it was a better experience in making it is a big factor.
It is funny that so many people saw it as sacrilegious. I think it targets them deeper than that--it shows that people are a herd animal. Pretty sure Jesus said the same thing (according to Gospel).
user Stupid cockwomble
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Séamas posted:
Life of Brian
My daughter (turning 12 after Xmas) laughed throughout, but most certainly did NOT like Graham Chapman's full frontal nudity.
I still think Holy Grail was a funnier movie, but the Python's think 'Brian' is their best one--but I think the fact that it was a better experience in making it is a big factor.
It is funny that so many people saw it as sacrilegious. I think it targets them deeper than that--it shows that people are a herd animal. Pretty sure Jesus said the same thing (according to Gospel).

I've been watching Monty Python since I was in junior high at every opportunity, even bootleg copies on YouTube. I was beyond excited when I saw that Netflix had them, so I've been watching them all again. In 40+ years, I never noticed that John Cleese wasn't in any of the episodes from the 4th season.
Pithecanthropus posted:
Séamas posted:
Life of Brian

I've been watching Monty Python since I was in junior high at every opportunity, even bootleg copies on YouTube. I was beyond excited when I saw that Netflix had them, so I've been watching them all again. In 40+ years, I never noticed that John Cleese wasn't in any of the episodes from the 4th season.

I forget when I started watching Python, but it was back when it aired on PBS in the '70s. I may have been 10 or so. I remember some of their openings would throw my brother and I off as they would tease as to whether it was actually a Python episode or not.

Last year I had an idea to get my son a DVD collection of the TV show (perfect gift for any 13 year old) only to find that it was no longer being sold. The Python (company?) market all sorts of things but have the shows as no longer available.
There was a complete boxed set years ago, but only available used. So I figured there was a new distribution deal in the works. I guess the Netflix deal was it.
user Stupid cockwomble
Yeah I got my set used, confused the hell out of the cat.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
New Years Eve
obvs Eating chickens is for the bourgeoisie
John Leguizamo's Latin History For Morons.

Very good. It really changes the viewers' perspectives on some things.
The Circle (2017) Emma Watson, Tom Hanks John Boyega. Dull story about a Facebook/Google type company. Not recommended.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
obvs posted:
John Leguizamo's Latin History For Morons.

Very good. It really changes the viewers' perspectives on some things.

I liked it.
Making plans to watch Anna and the Apocalypse on Friday
TOS
ant man and the wasp

liked it a lot
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Logan's Run.

It's been 20 years since I last watched this movie. Can't believe the run time is two hours long; seems like the storyline ought to be better. If there's a story ripe for remake, this is it. Maybe a remake with a bunch of douchey millennial personalities, so the audience can root for the Sandman.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Robert B. posted:
Logan's Run.

It's been 20 years since I last watched this movie. Can't believe the run time is two hours long; seems like the storyline ought to be better. If there's a story ripe for remake, this is it. Maybe a remake with a bunch of douchey millennial personalities, so the audience can root for the Sandman.

https://www.avclub.com/simon-kinberg-to ... 1823515923
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Robert B. posted:
Logan's Run.

It was remade

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0399201/

maybe they could remake it again
Incredibles 2
We were looking forward to seeing this, but never found the time to get our butts to the theater.
Anyway, it's decent, definitely not quite as good as the first, but not a bad sequel.

A couple of short movies:

The Snowman 1982.
Animated depiction of the wordless Raymond Briggs book made for UK public television.
Very sweet story, with really ambitious animation, done with colored pencils and what looks like textured paper. The result has a vibrating, uneven quality, but it only serves to give it a handmade feel. It is interesting to see in the credits such a relatively small number of animators. The most magical moment comes as the song Walking in the Air begins.

The Red Balloon 1956
I remember seeing this a couple times as a young kid, once in school (kindergarten?) and once on television (PBS).
The look of this movie is just great. Shot in a part of Paris that had seen better days (and was completely demolished not long after it was filmed). The main character's gray clothes and the surrounding gray city are a great contrast to the vibrant red balloon that seems to have a mind of it's own.
Another very sweet story.
maurvir Outlier
I remember the first time I watch "The Snowman". It was magical, and I still like it to this day.
The Big Easy (1986) Ellen Barkin, Dennis Quaid, Ned Beatty, John Goodman. Didn't care for Quaid's accent but there's Ellen Barkin and that's enough.
TOS
ellen barkin is fabulous
user Stupid cockwomble
Ribtor posted:
Didn't care for Quaid's accent...

Lawsy, there are some lousy Southern accents in the movies.

The female Bull Durham announcer is another (the guy was authentic).
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Jude Law and Nicole Kidman in Cold Mountain
:roll:
A Brit and an Aussie trying to talk Appalachian ...
DukeofNuke posted:
Jude Law and Nicole Kidman in Cold Mountain
:roll:
A Brit and an Aussie trying to talk Appalachian ...

Appal-A-Chee-An.
Doubt (2008) P.S. Hoffman, Meryl Streep, Amy Adams, Viola Davis. When adults make movies for adults. Highly recommended. A priest is accused by the headmistress of a Catholic school.
White Christmas (1954) Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney, Vera-Ellen. No matter how many times I've seen it there's always something new. That's because it is a very forgettable film, but pleasant and season-appropriate. Clooney and Vera-Ellen do the famous "sisters" song.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Ribtor posted:
White Christmas (1954) Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney, Vera-Ellen. No matter how many times I've seen it there's always something new. That's because it is a very forgettable film, but pleasant and season-appropriate. Clooney and Vera-Ellen do the famous "sisters" song.

I absolutely LOVE this movie. It's not Xmas in my house until we watch it. I've seen it so many times that my favorite thing to do now is pick a background dancer, and watch them through an entire scene.
This Island Earth (1955)

Entertaining and well done.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 170, 171, 172, 173, 174