What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 170, 171, 172, 173, 174
Online now: Google [Bot], iDaemon, juice, Pariah
I was around when "Jaws" was first released in the theaters. I can recall seeing NEWSPAPER ads for it with people bragging how they had seen it 25, 50 times or MORE before even that summer was out. I believe that someone had claimed a "record" of 205 times.

While I like the movie well enough so that even now on occasion I will pause in my channel surfing to watch a bit of it, I could never understand the motivation for that repetition: you had gone to see a movie that was at least partially dependent upon suspense ANOTHER time? In the same week or even day? Do you have less mental retention than a flatworm?
user Stupid cockwomble
maybe the shark will win this time....
dv
DEyncourt posted:
I was around when "Jaws" was first released in the theaters. I can recall seeing NEWSPAPER ads for it with people bragging how they had seen it 25, 50 times or MORE before even that summer was out. I believe that someone had claimed a "record" of 205 times.

While I like the movie well enough so that even now on occasion I will pause in my channel surfing to watch a bit of it, I could never understand the motivation for that repetition: you had gone to see a movie that was at least partially dependent upon suspense ANOTHER time? In the same week or even day? Do you have less mental retention than a flatworm?

Iirc, 1975 was abnormally hot, and most people didnt have a/c, but theaters did. Since most theaters were smaller back then and only played a couple movies at a time, you went and saw what was playing, rather than choosing which movie to see.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
I remember Jaws being the movie that set the trend of people bragging about how many times they saw it--the trend continued with Star Wars and a couple blockbusters afterwards.

I recall not seeing it until maybe 8-9 months after it came out and it was still in the theater. Then I saw it twice after that (in the theater), one of those times in the summer of 77. Still gave me nightmares.
The Outer Space Connection (1975) Narrated by Rod Serling. Immensely enjoyable junk about alien gods. Serling's voice work sells it.
TOS
DEyncourt posted:

it's just the way things were back then

i routinely saw movies a ton of times back then, though i was too young for jaws

probably saw empire strikes back a dozen times in the theatre
jkahless Custom Title
Must have been a lot cheaper. Imagine a kid dropping $300 to watch a movie twenty five times now.
dv
jkahless posted:
Must have been a lot cheaper. Imagine a kid dropping $300 to watch a movie twenty five times now.

Even when I was a kid in the '90s, movies that had been out for a while would do long runs at a locally owned smaller theater. $1.50 movie tickets. Nice place if you wanted to see a movie on a bigger screen that was already available at Blockbuster. Long gone now, though.

There was a movie theater in our little town that had $1 Sunday Matinees, too. It's still there.

https://www.showtimes.com/movie-theaters/the-lyon-8436/
Annihilation (2018) Natalie Portman, Jennifer Jason Leigh. Slow (thoughtfully) paced sci-fi drama about strange goings on inside a quarantined area. Worth a watch.
dv posted:
jkahless posted:

Even when I was a kid in the '90s, movies that had been out for a while would do long runs at a locally owned smaller theater. $1.50 movie tickets. Nice place if you wanted to see a movie on a bigger screen that was already available at Blockbuster. Long gone now, though.

There was a movie theater in our little town that had $1 Sunday Matinees, too. It's still there.

https://www.showtimes.com/movie-theaters/the-lyon-8436/

We have a theater about 45 minutes away that has $2.50 matinees. Second run. The theater is a total dump though.

The one near my hometown had $1 movies for a long time--and it was a pretty nice old theater with a balcony, etc.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I want to see A Star Is Born, but i just haven't had the time for anything.
user Stupid cockwomble
the original is on Hulu now

kinda wanted to see Streisand tho
Clear and Present Danger (1994) Hollywood RPGs move so slow that people have time to yell, "incoming!" and even get out of the way. Anne Archer does a great job of appearing worried. Embarrassing. I don't see the appeal of the movies made of Clancy's books.

Patriot Games (1992) Sean Bean was comically bad sneering at everyone. He's great. The rest is drivel.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Have you tried The Hunt For Red October? It was good enough to start the Clancy franchise.
Scott Glenn can steal a scene from Sean Connery. That's pretty impressive.
HFRO is fine. It moves along with no wasted or superfluous scenes.
Aria (1987) Ten short films set to various opera arias. There's a very young Tilda Swinton, Bridget Fonda and Elizabeth Hurley. Arty and strange. Theresa Russell as King Zog of Albania is my favourite.
The Ninth Gate (1999) Roman Polanski directs Johnny Depp, Emmanuelle Seigner and Frank Langella. Depp is a rare book dealer sent in search of copies of a book said to possess demonic powers.
maurvir Outlier
Ribtor posted:
The Ninth Gate (1999) Roman Polanski directs Johnny Depp, Emmanuelle Seigner and Frank Langella. Depp is a rare book dealer sent in search of copies of a book said to possess demonic powers.

This was a bizarre film, but I liked it. Surprisingly, since every character in the film is either immoral or a demon.
TOS
bad times at the el royale hotel

not bad ... not great

same guy who did cabin in the woods, and this is nowhere near as good as that

at least the performances were solid

it's one of those movies where practically everyone dies
TOS
annihilation, on netflix

quite liked it ... not the usual sort of sci-fi, dispenses with most of the usual tropes
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
The Mazerunner: The Death Cure - Total crap, but I needed to fall asleep. It did the trick.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Son of Frankenstein (1939)
Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi, Basil Rathbone.

Mel Brooks and Gene Wilder remade this movie in 1974, big knockers and all.
obvs Eating chickens is for the bourgeoisie
Won't You Be My Neighbor?

And cried. A lot.
Donkey Butter jerk face
Ant-Man and Wasp

I thought it was good but then I love all those marvel movies.

(I especially liked that part after the credits where some of the characters turn to ash. It took me a second to connect it to the other movies, but when I did :eek:)

I think it's cool how all those movies are interconnected.

(oh and don't check that spoiler unless you are up to date on your marvel movies)
20,000,000 Miles to Earth

Cheesy acting and plot, but Harryhausen's stop motion animated alien monster tearing around Rome and fighting an elephant is delightful. The animating of the monster breathing while unconscious was well done.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
My Dinner with Hervé
Dinklage is captivating.
Young Frankenstein Never not a good time. Man I love Madeline Kahn. Teri Garr too.

Frankenstein There are some awkward parts in this (like Dr. F's father's sort of comic relief), but there are parts where you first see the monster and get a sort of moody creepiness. I can only imagine what the first audiences felt.

Night of the Living Dead There is a sort of goofiness in early parts of this, largely because of the very low budget, but once things start going really wrong for the people holding out in the house, it is pretty chilling. The main character is a pretty smart guy, but should have shouted out to the posse at the end. May not have gotten shot.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
obvs posted:
Sorry To Bother You.

Interesting.

is that on Netflix?
No, but it's available on certain streaming services from links on that page.

or...
iDaemon infinitely loopy
Ok sorry - “Black Mass” and “The Departed”

Featuring portrayals of the late Whitey Bulger
https://apple.news/AFguWt_EkRfCEvhwgX_QSxQ
TOS
deep rising

a fun monster movie from the 90s

includes the always delicious famke janssen
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Casablanca
it was on opposite the election returns, and I really really had to change channels ...
juice Inadvertently correct
DukeofNuke posted:
Casablanca
it was on opposite the election returns, and I really really had to change channels ...

I watched it along with you.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
pass the popcorn
DukeofNuke posted:
Casablanca
Casablanca is one of my favorite movies.

I would watch that over election returns any day.
Love, Simon

Gay teenager speaks anonymously with another gay teenager, and falls in love.

Fairly good movie, but teenage-oriented, and LGBT-focused.
The First Man. I really enjoyed it! Wendy thought it was generally boring, though there were a few parts where she was into it.

Apparently it's also remarkably accurate.
obvs posted:
DukeofNuke posted:
Casablanca
Casablanca is one of my favorite movies.

I would watch that over election returns any day.

I can't think of a reason why anyone who has seen it wouldn't have it in the their top three.
Pretty close to flawless. I think it has more quotable lines (and one famous misquote) than just about any movie. I love how the power of music is an undercurrent. The battle between "Deutchland Uber Alles" and "La Marseillaise" is epic. (I wish the USA had a decent national anthem ala La Marseillaise).
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 170, 171, 172, 173, 174