What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170 ... 195
Online now: Google [Bot], Lombo, Metacell, Séamas
TOS
dang ... solo's box office is a major disappointment
:lol:

I love how more than 100 million and the best Memorial Day weekend in the last four years is a disappointment.
Marie Antoinette (2006) Sophia Copolla directs Kirsten Dunst. The deliberate use of anachronism works. Historical accuracy is not relevant to the film. I liked it.
TOS
Warin posted:
:lol:

I love how more than 100 million and the best Memorial Day weekend in the last four years is a disappointment.

uh, yeah, it is a disappointment if it cost a third of a billion dollars to make

the critical overseas numbers are even worse ... this might cost Kathleen Kennedy her job
I finally saw Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017).

Quite frankly I expected to be disappointed, mostly due to the Spiderman movie reboot starting with The Amazing Spider-Man (2012). THAT movie was so bad that I gave up about 45 minutes into it, and I never bothered with its sequel. The main problem with the 2012 movie was that I was quite bored with it, never feeling engaged with any of the characters.

On the other hand I had to grin from the very start of "Homecoming": that full orchestration for the theme of the Spiderman animated TV series pleasantly tweaked up my nostalgia.

I liked how "Homecoming" explained Spidey's polished costume by bringing in Stark Industries, although it still left open how and why Peter Parker first came to the attention of Tony Stark (yeah, yeah, I still haven't seen "Captain America: Civil War" where an explanation may be).

And I liked how Peter Parker was a deep flawed though smart individual with problems brought about by his own immaturity and inability to cope with some of the larger problems (which was brilliantly illustrated by the Staten Island Ferry scene: "Yay, Spider-man...um, yay, Ironman!").

At the start I was a bit uncertain about Marisa Tomei's "hot" Auntie May, although age-wise a 40-ish aunt DOES make more sense than the original story's elderly-and-on-the-brink-of-retirement Uncle Ben and Auntie May taking care of their teenaged nephew (although it should be noted that Tomei was 52 at the time of production), but I suspect that my uncertainty was fueled more by my leanings towards tradition.

And how could anyone NOT like that scene of Spiderman being forced to run across a golf course?

This is not to say that there weren't some plot holes and problems (like how was it that Donald Glover's criminal character was privy to the Vulture's gang's upcoming heist attempt? And the Spidey-suit has a training mode but did not shut completely down when being physically much less electronically tampered with?), but I was more willing to overlook those problems simply because I liked these characters.

I am looking forward to the sequel for "Homecoming" which is currently in pre-production with a possible release in July 2019.
DEyncourt posted:

I liked how "Homecoming" explained Spidey's polished costume by bringing in Stark Industries, although it still left open how and why Peter Parker first came to the attention of Tony Stark (yeah, yeah, I still haven't seen "Captain America: Civil War" where an explanation may be).

They don't, it's pretty much:
Some character: "Captain America has gone rogue! We need another super person!"
Tony Stark:" I know a guy..."
Cut to Tony in Queens telling Peter he has to help him, and Peter doesn't really question why he's fighting Captain America. Spidey's intro in Civil War ate up too much time.
Batman Ninja

Batman along with friends and foes get time warped back to feudal Japan where Joker and the villains have become warlords. It could have been dumb yet amazing, but turned into just dumb. The animation is great for action, but otherwise the characters look lifeless. This concept would have been better as a video game.

The Batmobile (used for one scene) turns into the Batwing and the Batcycle then a super suit. That would be a cool desk toy.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
TOS
yikes, solo did even worse this past weekend, disastrously so

kathleen kennedy might not be around much longer
juice Inadvertently correct
My fault; I haven’t gotten out to see it yet.
TOS
finally saw it last night ... it was all right

not awesome, but all right

definitely not worth the absurd sum they paid to make it .. instead of ordering reshoots they should have just shelved it

i would love to know why the hell they let it progress as far as it did before firing the directors
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Who ended up directing it? Ron Howard?
TOS
DukeofNuke posted:
Who ended up directing it? Ron Howard?

he got the credit ... i think around 80% of the final cut was directed by him

among the folks here who saw the movie, what thoughts about the ending? kira's holo-convo with that individual? seemed like kind of a random thing, and with no plans for a sequel it seems like a big fat loose end just sort of dangling there
dv
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
After Black Panther, Infinity War, and Deadpool 2, I'm all blockbustered out for the year.
La La Land (2016) I loved it. Apart from the opening choreography they kept the musical and dancing parts modest and I think that helped.
dv
Metacell posted:
After Black Panther, Infinity War, and Deadpool 2, I'm all blockbustered out for the year.

Spielberg said it would happen.
TOS
Metacell posted:

and it's still only the first week of june!
I have a question. It concerns "The Last Jedi" which I have not yet seen, but frankly my movie habits are such that I have no concerns for spoiler FOR ME (I will continue to be cautious for spoilers for others), so spoil away.

The actor Kelly Marie Tran plays a (key?) character in that movie named "Rose Tico".

Apparently something has happened over the past week or so such that over the last day Ms. Tran basically has shut down all of her social media sites, at least for general access.

Can someone explain this? Just wondering.
juice Inadvertently correct
DEyncourt posted:
I have a question. It concerns "The Last Jedi" which I have not yet seen, but frankly my movie habits are such that I have no concerns for spoiler FOR ME (I will continue to be cautious for spoilers for others), so spoil away.

The actor Kelly Marie Tran plays a (key?) character in that movie named "Rose Tico".

Apparently something has happened over the past week or so such that over the last day Ms. Tran basically has shut down all of her social media sites, at least for general access.

The internet is full of douchenozzles.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44379473
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Death Wish. Again. :)
TOS
DEyncourt posted:

a lot of male star wars fans have turned into psychotic incel freaks, insisting the franchise has been taken over by social justice warriors

the trolling of women associated with that movie has been absolutely insane

rumour has it kathleen kennedy gets dozens of death threats each day
Why are these people even Star Wars fans?
dv
Metacell posted:

A certain metal bikini.
dv posted:
Metacell posted:

A certain metal bikini.

excuse me, twilek dancers
Just saw Infinity War; ending was not what I expected.
The shape of water

:up:
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
American Made
Good. True story. Recomended.
DukeofNuke posted:
American Made
Good. True story. Recomended.

Yeah I like that one also.
The Heat (2013) Melissa McCarthy, Sandra Bullock. Couldn't get past the first 25 minutes. I wasn't expecting much, and went in with low expectations, and I like the two lead actresses, and the film got fairly good reviews, but it's human waste. Lowest-common-denominator human waste and I was embarrassed for Ms McCarthy and Ms Bullock.
TOS
death of stalin

great flick, absolutely fascinating and with top-notch performances (steve buscemi's khruschev was terrific and issac's zhukov really stole the show)
Kingsman: The Golden Circle

:up:
jkahless Custom Title
I enjoyed it, but it needed cutting. With a chainsaw.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Jurassic World 2
Suspenseless. Same song, same dance ...
Been there, done that.
Not really a movie, but...

In an interview George Lucas described his vision for Star Wars episodes 7-9.

Midi-chlorians [I guess I've been misspelling it without the hyphen]?

Lucas wanted to the last trilogy to be ALL about them, or--at least--the Whills, a race of microscopic creatures that actually control the galaxy by feeding on the Force. Midi-chlorians were an after-effect of the presence of the Whills (so more Whills = more midi-chlorians) who used people as basically as transports.
Quote:
Lucas is confidant that had he kept his company, the Whills-focused films “would have been done. Of course, a lot of the fans would have hated it, just like they did ‘Phantom Menace’ and everything, but at least the whole story from beginning to end would be told.”

Kingsman: the Golden Circle (2017).

TL; DR: a prime example of Robert Mitchem's quote: "Under the studio system when you did well you didn't get to do better, you only get to do more." As pure fluff, it achieves its mission.

Yeah, yeah, I know: too much thinking. BUT you mean to tell me that there were TWO hyper-vigilant, hyper-competent secret organizations with scopes upon the world's activities such that they could dig out suspicious activities by and agendas of secret (and not-so-secret) organizations, AND yet the Kingsman and the Statesman were all-but-completely oblivious of each other? Shouldn't even their basic activities making extraordinary use of just normal materials (much less their draw upon exotic materiels and weaponry) been a red-hot flag for VERY active investigations by either upon the other? Hell, the Kingsman had operated practically in the Statesman's "backyard" in the first movie (the church shootout by "Galahad I" AKA Harry Hart [Colin Firth]) which enabled the Statesman to save Harry (except for his expected amnesia), and yet the Statesman weren't able to dig ANYTHING out of Harry's background?

An example of a logic hole I noticed: in the joint Kingsman/Stateman penetration into Poppy's storage facility atop of one of the Italian Alps, there are some spectacular views during their aborted escape from that lair, in particular that narrow valley in between the base station connected by a tramway to that upper station at the top of the mountain. Part of their cover is that they took skis with them to give them the story that they would be skiing down.

Um, how would any skiers get across that valley in order to get to that base station where presumably their cars are parked?

By all appearances that base station and the lair at the top are on literally different mountains. Maybe sufficiently wealthy people could indulge in having their drivers pick them up at a second resort near the base of that mountain, but wouldn't it make more sense for the base station for the tramway to have been built at that presumed location for that second resort?

Yeah, yeah: too much thinking...but I get that way despite distractions because of the shallowness of the plot.

Mind you: there were parts of this movie I liked. A LOT. I was particularly touched by the sequence where Eggsy (Taron Egerton) was able to restore Harry's memory by figuring out the appropriate trigger. And I liked to dislike Julianne Moore's Poppy with her eccentric zaniness overlaying her base cunning. I suppose that the producers of the Kingsman series already have a roster of other normally heroic lead actors to play out their bad sides as the chief villain in future movies.

Presumably they will "only get to do more".
W. Kamau Bell: Private School Negro (Netflix)

I love his show, United Shades of America, though I don't watch it much because real life is depressing, but I still think it's uniquely courageous and enlightening. Anyway, this is his standup show and I really liked it. Very cathartic in the face of Donald Trump's America.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
DEyncourt posted:

TL; DR: a prime example of Robert Mitchem's quote: "Under the studio system when you did well you didn't get to do better, you only get to do more." As pure fluff, it achieves its mission.

Yeah, yeah, I know: too much thinking. BUT you mean to tell me that there were TWO hyper-vigilant, hyper-competent secret organizations with scopes upon the world's activities such that they could dig out suspicious activities by and agendas of secret (and not-so-secret) organizations, AND yet the Kingsman and the Statesman were all-but-completely oblivious of each other? Shouldn't even their basic activities making extraordinary use of just normal materials (much less their draw upon exotic materiels and weaponry) been a red-hot flag for VERY active investigations by either upon the other? Hell, the Kingsman had operated practically in the Statesman's "backyard" in the first movie (the church shootout by "Galahad I" AKA Harry Hart [Colin Firth]) which enabled the Statesman to save Harry (except for his expected amnesia), and yet the Statesman weren't able to dig ANYTHING out of Harry's background?

An example of a logic hole I noticed: in the joint Kingsman/Stateman penetration into Poppy's storage facility atop of one of the Italian Alps, there are some spectacular views during their aborted escape from that lair, in particular that narrow valley in between the base station connected by a tramway to that upper station at the top of the mountain. Part of their cover is that they took skis with them to give them the story that they would be skiing down.

Um, how would any skiers get across that valley in order to get to that base station where presumably their cars are parked?

By all appearances that base station and the lair at the top are on literally different mountains. Maybe sufficiently wealthy people could indulge in having their drivers pick them up at a second resort near the base of that mountain, but wouldn't it make more sense for the base station for the tramway to have been built at that presumed location for that second resort?

Yeah, yeah: too much thinking...but I get that way despite distractions because of the shallowness of the plot.

Mind you: there were parts of this movie I liked. A LOT. I was particularly touched by the sequence where Eggsy (Taron Egerton) was able to restore Harry's memory by figuring out the appropriate trigger. And I liked to dislike Julianne Moore's Poppy with her eccentric zaniness overlaying her base cunning. I suppose that the producers of the Kingsman series already have a roster of other normally heroic lead actors to play out their bad sides as the chief villain in future movies.

Who hollowed out that volcano in You Only Live Twice? And where did they put all the dirt?
Pithecanthropus posted:
DEyncourt posted:

Who hollowed out that volcano in You Only Live Twice? And where did they put all the dirt?

The super-villians of the Bond movies are super-rich and could afford to hire people to do that. Presumably they could also afford to bribe any local environmental officials to look the other way when they dump that excess into the ocean nearby.

Hardly logically impossible or even improbable (even if not very likely because creating a secret volcano lair would be so extravagant that even Jeff Bezos would flinch).
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170 ... 195