What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169 ... 195
Online now: No visible users
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
War for The Planet of the Apes

Andy Serkis has to be the best actor alive.
TOS
i recently watched the original planet of the apes with chuck heston

still holds up fairly well, but it's hilariously slow-paced compared to movies of today ... back then they had to show people walking down the street, ringing a doorbel, walking through the door, taking off their coats, going into the living room, sitting down, etc

nowadays it's all just smash cuts straight to the important stuff
TOS posted:

nowadays it's all just smash cuts straight to the important stuff

And yet running times are really long.
TOS
what did groot mean with his last line in avengers?

emotional spoiler

interestingly, it turns out that vin diesel, the voice of groot, gets a special version of the script with his lines in english so he knows what "i am groot" means in that scene

kind of neat
TOS
cap'n 'murca, winter soldier

still an awesome movie
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
TOS posted:
cap'n 'murca, winter soldier

still an awesome movie

Yeah, I saw that one in IMAX-3D. I love that it's all mostly martial arts fighting.
user Stupid cockwomble
i hate it

"bad bucky"?

sheesh
jkahless Custom Title
That was the one where Cap kept letting his buddy kill people, cause “friends?”, right? Character’s an idealistic idiot.
It was Captain America: Civil War, which I finally saw.

Usually ridiculousness is required to have heroes fight each other, and I'd be fine with it if the movie was under 2 hours long. A lot of that time is taken up introducing Spider-man, which I think should have been swapped with the post-credit scene. The actual post-credit scene is relevant to the story.

Just like in Batman v Superman the good guys are blamed for collateral damage, but how come no one points out there were villains that had to be stopped? The plot would have been better if they blamed Iron Man for the events in Age of Ultron, since he actually was the cause of it.
Civil War was crap...and they completely left out all the political stuff from the comics about the widening division in America.
TOS
Metacell posted:
Civil War was crap...and they completely left out all the political stuff from the comics about the widening division in America.

i was very disappointed in the latter

part of the problem, i think, is that civil war in the comics took place in multiple series that allowed them many viewpoints

it would have been neat if they'd been able to do that with the movies but i guess they couldn't ... instead it seemed like a very low-stakes quarrel over nothing

basically it was an excuse to mix up the different characters and let them do their thing
Rubber (2010) A tire comes to life and kills with telekinetic power. Not bad.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Ribtor posted:

A tire? Wow, talk about a lost opportunity... :lol:
juice Inadvertently correct
That sounds horrible.
macnuke Afar
maurvir posted:
Ribtor posted:

it was a feature length Michelin commercial
juice Inadvertently correct
macnuke posted:
maurvir posted:
Ribtor posted:

it was a feature length Michelin commercial

Too bad Trojan wasn't the sponsor.
Donkey Butter jerk face
Black Panther - very mediocre, was not impressed. (It's Marvel so I may give it a second viewing with my kids. See if my opinion improves the second time over)
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Isle of Dogs. It was cute.
TOS
the new ali wong stand-up ... not as good as the first one, but i still lol'd
TOS
saw deadpool 2 last night

meh ... not bad, but not nearly as good as the first one

plus the trailer has the best parts, which i hate
dv
Finally saw Black Panther.

I know it's a comic book movie so I'm not particularly surprised, I guess, but I thought Killmonger was a lot less "ambiguous" and a lot more "cartoonishly evil" than the blogosphere was saying.
The Shape of Water

It's basically ET with sex (although the creature is obviously from the Black Lagoon). It's worth seeing because it takes place in the "space-age" nostalgic reality somewhere between Bioshock and Fallout (before the bombs fall), a bit like Brazil. I think Pan's Labrynth is a better, heavier movie, but this one's got charm.
Deadpool 2

Entertaining, but the novelty can hardly maintain its momentum forever. Still, there's some very funny stuff.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Deadpool 2.

Very good.

Just make sure you don't get up until the credits stop rolling.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
obvs posted:
Deadpool 2.

Very good.

Just make sure you don't get up until the credits stop rolling.

It is a Marvel movie, that is a given.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Dunkirk
meh
Always goon to see Kenneth Branagh, though.
user Stupid cockwomble
goon?

Scottish is so hard to understand.
TOS
DukeofNuke posted:
Dunkirk
meh
Always goon to see Kenneth Branagh, though.

really? i thought it was great
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I just couldn't seem to connect with the characters.
I enjoyed the Spitfires.
DukeofNuke posted:
I just couldn't seem to connect with the characters.
I enjoyed the Spitfires.

I agree. I though it was a fine exercise in film-making but not so much of story -telling.
Baby Driver

Usual cliched story of getaway driver being screwed by fellow criminals.
Felt kinda like Guardians of the Galaxy as the titular driver is obsessed with his music.
Jon Hamm looks like he had a blast playing a bank robber.

I should add it was disappointing because the first scene is an awesome chase, but the rest of the movie doesn't live up to it.

Last edited by j_tso on Tue May 22, 2018 4:32 am.

I will not see any car chase movies ever unless they take place in a post-apocalyptic future.
TOS
j_tso posted:
Baby Driver

Usual cliched story of getaway driver being screwed by fellow criminals.
Felt kinda like Guardians of the Galaxy as the titular driver is obsessed with his music.
Jon Hamm looks like he had a blast playing a bank robber.

I should add it was a disappointing because the first scene is an awesome chase, but the rest of the movie doesn't live up to it.

yeah ... so many people were like, "this movie's brilliant," and i was like, "really?"

true story!
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
ukimalefu posted:
Black Panther

:up:

Absolutely. The best of the bunch.

Florence Foster Jenkins (2016) Streep, Hugh Grant and Simon Helberg are great. This is a funny and touching film.
We went to see Solo last night. Spoiler free review: it had a few clunky points, but overall it was a great action movie. Some very funny parts, but not in a comedy film sort of way. I would give it a thumbs up and it is a solid 75-80 out of 100.
TOS
so perhaps the angry incel fanbois will be disappointed that it fails to be a disaster

damn you kathleen kennedy!!
TOS posted:
so perhaps the angry incel fanbois will be disappointed that it fails to be a disaster

fiddlesticks those guys. Star Wars fanbois are the reason I feel less like self identifying as a Star Wars fan these days.
Coco (2017) Pixar/Disney. Fantastic and brilliant.
TOS
Warin posted:
TOS posted:

fiddlesticks those guys. Star Wars fanbois are the reason I feel less like self identifying as a Star Wars fan these days.

i agree

star wars, rick and morty, so many great franchises that make me queasy because of their jerkface audiences
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169 ... 195