What was the last movie you saw?

Music and video: analog or digital
User avatar
Séamas
Posts: 6905
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:32 pm
Title: Honorary Consul General
Location: Where am I?

Post by Séamas »

Yep. I am pretty sure we have all the Wallace and Grommet shorts and features.
And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.
User avatar
Ribtor
Posts: 9364
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:45 pm

Post by Ribtor »

Operation Avalanche (2016) sort of a comedy thriller. Low budget tale of some CIA guys who find themselves tasked with faking the Apollo 11 landing. The film is generally bad with some occasional flashes of adequacy. It's in the found-film mocumentary format which doesn't generally hold up but is effective in a particularly well done car chase scene.
Pyke notte thy nostrellys
User avatar
justine
Posts: 16703
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:35 pm
Title: Elitist Beer Lover
Location: Magrathea
Contact:

Post by justine »

If i have time, i want to go see Death Wish this week. Or, A Wrinkle In Time. Or both. LOL
"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
User avatar
user
Posts: 29386
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:40 pm
Title: Stupid cockwomble

Post by user »

See Wrinkle first and use the power of the Tessaract to see Death Wish too.
Aw, he's no fun, he fell right over.

Science is Truth for Life. In FORTRAN tongue the Answer.

...so I'm supposed to find the Shadow King from inside a daiquiri?
User avatar
dv
Posts: 30684
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:42 pm

Post by dv »

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.

Something that actually came out of my mouth: "How the hell did they get Rihanna to be in this terrible movie?"
Image
User avatar
Warin
Posts: 7029
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:34 pm

Post by Warin »

No one should see Death Wish. Even the minute amount of social commentary in the Bronson film appears to be gone. It strikes me as a paean to violence with no redeeming qualities.
I'm sorry Dave...
User avatar
Metacell
Posts: 11131
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:58 am
Title: Chocolate Brahma
Location: Lidsville
Contact:

Post by Metacell »

"You kids won't get off my lawn??!!!!...well suck my Weedwacker!"

The actual Bruce Willis movie I want to see.
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
User avatar
user
Posts: 29386
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:40 pm
Title: Stupid cockwomble

Post by user »

I shut off the Mechanist remake because they were such bozos.
Aw, he's no fun, he fell right over.

Science is Truth for Life. In FORTRAN tongue the Answer.

...so I'm supposed to find the Shadow King from inside a daiquiri?
User avatar
Ribtor
Posts: 9364
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:45 pm

Post by Ribtor »

dv wrote: Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.

Something that actually came out of my mouth: "How the hell did they get Rihanna to be in this terrible movie?"


It was a mess, but a glorious mess! Plus there was Cara.
Pyke notte thy nostrellys
User avatar
dv
Posts: 30684
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:42 pm

Post by dv »

Ribtor wrote:
dv wrote: Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.

Something that actually came out of my mouth: "How the hell did they get Rihanna to be in this terrible movie?"


It was a mess, but a glorious mess! Plus there was Cara.


She was pretty wooden. I actually thought she did better in Suicide Squad.

They probably should have spent less on effects and more on hiring actors over 20.
Image
User avatar
justine
Posts: 16703
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:35 pm
Title: Elitist Beer Lover
Location: Magrathea
Contact:

Post by justine »

So, it's going to be Death Wish. Wrinkle In Time doesn't start til tomorrow, and thats at night. I only do matinees.
"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
User avatar
TOS
Posts: 39391
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Post by TOS »

Warin wrote: No one should see Death Wish. Even the minute amount of social commentary in the Bronson film appears to be gone. It strikes me as a paean to violence with no redeeming qualities.


given the current anti-gun atmosphere i expect this movie to bomb severely
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
User avatar
dv
Posts: 30684
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:42 pm

Post by dv »

TOS wrote:
Warin wrote: No one should see Death Wish. Even the minute amount of social commentary in the Bronson film appears to be gone. It strikes me as a paean to violence with no redeeming qualities.


given the current anti-gun atmosphere i expect this movie to bomb severely


Either that or the same half a million people will go see it eleventysix times each, making it the biggest-grossing movie of the summer.
Image
User avatar
justine
Posts: 16703
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:35 pm
Title: Elitist Beer Lover
Location: Magrathea
Contact:

Post by justine »

Saw Death Wish. Liked it. A lot.
"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
User avatar
ukimalefu
Posts: 44210
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 pm
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Location: Failed State

Post by ukimalefu »

Thor Ragnarok

Image
User avatar
Metacell
Posts: 11131
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:58 am
Title: Chocolate Brahma
Location: Lidsville
Contact:

Post by Metacell »

TOS wrote:
Warin wrote: No one should see Death Wish. Even the minute amount of social commentary in the Bronson film appears to be gone. It strikes me as a paean to violence with no redeeming qualities.


given the current anti-gun atmosphere i expect this movie to bomb severely

I expect it will be the new Passion of the Christ.
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
User avatar
justine
Posts: 16703
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:35 pm
Title: Elitist Beer Lover
Location: Magrathea
Contact:

Post by justine »

Still thought it was great and i'd see it again!
"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
User avatar
TOS
Posts: 39391
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Post by TOS »

ukimalefu wrote: Thor Ragnarok

Image


love that flick
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
User avatar
justine
Posts: 16703
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:35 pm
Title: Elitist Beer Lover
Location: Magrathea
Contact:

Post by justine »

Guardians Of The Galaxy 2
"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
DEyncourt
Posts: 17395
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:38 am

Post by DEyncourt »

Alien: Covenant (2017).

This joins my very short list of movies which--after viewing--make me want to demand my time back.

I had been told that this sequel for Prometheus would link these chronologically earlier movies with the original "Alien", but I beg to differ: if the origin of the Alien (which I will give an initial capital to distinguish it from other non-human aliens) in "Covenant" was because of David from Prometheus, then how exactly does crew of the Nostromo in "Alien" come across the alien ship which was "manned" by very large humanoid aliens? I mean, this guy:

Image

Even if the time between the movies "Covenant" and "Alien" is a couple of centuries, then for some reason those humanoid aliens with the ring-shaped ships--and who for some reason avoid ALL contact with a spacefaring humanity--land on Origae-6 (the colonization world that was where the ship Covenant was headed) to collect a bunch of Alien eggs (because the Aliens took over that world because of David), only to have that collection ship crash on the moon of the gas giant that was emitting the signal that caused the Nostromo to wake its crew?

This was worse than disappointing. If anyone were to ask me, my recommendation will be to watch only "Alien" then "Aliens" and stop there, with the rest of the movies being borderline bad at best but the worst of them being time-sucks not worth anyone's time.

For completeness: I have never seen "Alien: Resurrection" in its entirety, only bits and pieces while channel-surfing. My avoidance was mostly due to my disappointment with "Alien³".

Rumor is that Scott is planning to make the Prometheus part of the Alien story into a trilogy so there might be a third movie in the works. I will avoid that sequel like I have "Alien: Resurrection".

EDIT: grumph--noticed I misspelled "spacefaring".
Last edited by DEyncourt on Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Ribtor
Posts: 9364
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:45 pm

Post by Ribtor »

DEyncourt wrote: Alien: Covenant (2017).

This joins my very short list of movies which--after viewing--make me want to demand my time back.

I had been told that this sequel for Prometheus would link these chronologically earlier movies with the original "Alien", but I beg to differ: if the origin of the Alien (which I will give an initial capital to distinguish it from other non-human aliens) in "Covenant" was because of David from Prometheus, then how exactly does crew of the Nostromo in "Alien" come across the alien ship which was "manned" by very large humanoid aliens? I mean, this guy:

Image

Even if the time between the movies "Covenant" and "Alien" is a couple of centuries, then for some reason those humanoid aliens with the ring-shaped ships--and who for some reason avoid ALL contact with a spacefairing humanity--land on Origae-6 (the colonization world that was where the ship Covenant was headed) to collect a bunch of Alien eggs (because the Aliens took over that world because of David), only to have that collection ship crash on the moon of the gas giant that was emitting the signal that caused the Nostromo to wake its crew?

This was worse than disappointing. If anyone were to ask me, my recommendation will be to watch only "Alien" then "Aliens" and stop there, with the rest of the movies being borderline bad at best but the worst of them being time-sucks not worth anyone's time.

For completeness: I have never seen "Alien: Resurrection" in its entirety, only bits and pieces while channel-surfing. My avoidance was mostly due to my disappointment with "Alien³".

Rumor is that Scott is planning to make the Prometheus part of the Alien story into a trilogy so there might be a third movie in the works. I will avoid that sequel like I have "Alien: Resurrection".


Yes.
Pyke notte thy nostrellys
User avatar
Pariah
Posts: 22752
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:45 pm
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

Prometheus managed to be so bad that it actually made me angry and pretty much killed my interest in any further Alien branded movies from then on out. Maybe if they pry Scott's incompetent fingers off the rudder I might try another but not till then.
Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
User avatar
justine
Posts: 16703
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:35 pm
Title: Elitist Beer Lover
Location: Magrathea
Contact:

Post by justine »

Death At A Funeral. Love this flick!
"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
DEyncourt
Posts: 17395
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:38 am

Post by DEyncourt »

I have a question: is there an (un)official list of which Marvel movies to see in which order?

A friend wrote asking me if I was reading the Marvel comic books and watching the current round of Marvel movies, and while answering her it occured to me that a HUGE part of my confusion in watching them is that I have not seen them at least in order of production, if not in some sort of "story" order (I know: this is especially confusing due to time travel within the X-Men storyline).

For example: the most recent Marvel movie I've seen was "Logan". While I do think that was pretty good, throughout that movie I kept asking myself: "Wait...how did THIS come about?", that I was missing rather significant elements of the story.

It seems to me that there are two SEPARATE Marvel movie universes: the X-Men universe and the Avengers universe (with Spiderman having been in his own universe due to studio differences but with recent contracts is now part of the Avengers universe; and Deadpool being in his own separate corner within the Avengers universe [or wait...in the X-Men universe?]; and is Black Panther by himself? I ask that having yet to see that movie). You might have reacted to that with a "Well duh!" but I have NOT been reading any of the Marvel comics at all. While there might be SOME viewers who are well-enough entertained by the flash-n-sparkle, I DO prefer to have SOME story coherence.

So...any help?
User avatar
Warin
Posts: 7029
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:34 pm

Post by Warin »

Fox owns the rights to Deadpool, the X Men, and the Fantastic Four. Deadpool and X-Men exist in the same universe, as Deadpool featured Collosus and Negasonic Teenage Warhead, as well as Prof X’s school. Fantastic Four is sort of it’s own thing.

All of this will likely be moot soon, since Disney will soon have access to all of these, once they finish buying Fox Films.

This list shows the viewing order for all of the Marvel Cinematic Universe films and TV series.
I'm sorry Dave...
DEyncourt
Posts: 17395
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:38 am

Post by DEyncourt »

Thanks!

Although this:
Warin wrote:[snip]
This list shows the viewing order for all of the Marvel Cinematic Universe films and TV series.

isn't at all complete for ALL of Marvel's movies/TV. The MCU is ONLY the Avengers universe with absolutely NOTHING from the X-Men universe.

Hmm...Guardians of the Galaxy fits into the Avengers universe? I would never have guessed that.

And who can remember ANY version of the Fantastic Four (movie-wise, that is)?

But <sigh> that list is quite frankly too much, especially those segments from the DVDs. I guess I'll make some efforts to (re-)watching the movies in that order, but I have seen too much OUT of order hence my confusion.
User avatar
user
Posts: 29386
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:40 pm
Title: Stupid cockwomble

Post by user »

There's a bit at the end of G o G that shows Lady Sif and Volstagg, I think, bringing an infinity stone to the Collector's tender care.
Aw, he's no fun, he fell right over.

Science is Truth for Life. In FORTRAN tongue the Answer.

...so I'm supposed to find the Shadow King from inside a daiquiri?
DEyncourt
Posts: 17395
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:38 am

Post by DEyncourt »

user wrote: There's a bit at the end of G o G that shows Lady Sif and Volstagg, I think, bringing an infinity stone to the Collector's tender care.

Oh, OK. I did see that segment but--as a non-comic book reader, maybe?--it made absolutely no sense to me. I only assumed that it might become meaningful in GotG2.
User avatar
Warin
Posts: 7029
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:34 pm

Post by Warin »

DEyncourt wrote: Thanks!

Although this:
Warin wrote:[snip]
This list shows the viewing order for all of the Marvel Cinematic Universe films and TV series.

isn't at all complete for ALL of Marvel's movies/TV. The MCU is ONLY the Avengers universe with absolutely NOTHING from the X-Men universe.

Hmm...Guardians of the Galaxy fits into the Avengers universe? I would never have guessed that.

And who can remember ANY version of the Fantastic Four (movie-wise, that is)?

But <sigh> that list is quite frankly too much, especially those segments from the DVDs. I guess I'll make some efforts to (re-)watching the movies in that order, but I have seen too much OUT of order hence my confusion.


The non MCU stuff is split into 4 different realities. Spider-Man pre Tom Holland is one, Fantastic Four is two, and the Mutants are one.

In the Mutant series, This article is a run down of how they fit together.

To further complicate things, I believe the Tom Holland Spider Man is part of the MCU, but spin off movies, like this falls Venom, and NOT MCU.
I'm sorry Dave...
User avatar
user
Posts: 29386
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:40 pm
Title: Stupid cockwomble

Post by user »

DEyncourt wrote:
user wrote: There's a bit at the end of G o G that shows Lady Sif and Volstagg, I think, bringing an infinity stone to the Collector's tender care.

Oh, OK. I did see that segment but--as a non-comic book reader, maybe?--it made absolutely no sense to me. I only assumed that it might become meaningful in GotG2.

Not really, I think maybe they had another small bit - have to watch it again.

The last Thor movie had Thor saying he had chased a stone.
Aw, he's no fun, he fell right over.

Science is Truth for Life. In FORTRAN tongue the Answer.

...so I'm supposed to find the Shadow King from inside a daiquiri?
User avatar
Metacell
Posts: 11131
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:58 am
Title: Chocolate Brahma
Location: Lidsville
Contact:

Post by Metacell »

DEyncourt wrote:And who can remember ANY version of the Fantastic Four (movie-wise, that is)?

I have a bootleg VHS of the buried Roger Corman version. And it's certainly the most faithful adaptation. It has the real Doctor Doom in it.

Anyway, it's just like the comics, which would constantly reference each other ("*It happened in Marvel Team Up #238 -- Yours truly, J. Buscema"), but you never had to read the other story unless you were an obsessive compulsive. Just watch the series you like.
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
User avatar
Ribtor
Posts: 9364
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:45 pm

Post by Ribtor »

Get Out (2017) Great.

The Shape Of Water (2017) Great

Kingsman The Golden Circle (2017) Complete crap.
Pyke notte thy nostrellys
User avatar
justine
Posts: 16703
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:35 pm
Title: Elitist Beer Lover
Location: Magrathea
Contact:

Post by justine »

Get Out is on my list of to see movies.
"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
DEyncourt
Posts: 17395
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:38 am

Post by DEyncourt »

Warin wrote: [snip]
In the Mutant series, This article is a run down of how they fit together.
[snip]

Thanks again!

OK, even going by the release order list for the X-Men movies, I see that I have missed several of the movies even in that much shorter list.
:shrug: Oh well.
User avatar
TOS
Posts: 39391
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Post by TOS »

borg vs mcenroe

liked it a lot
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
User avatar
j_tso
Posts: 1227
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:46 am
Location: Austin, TX

Post by j_tso »

Forbidden Planet

My first movie with Leslie Nielsen being serious.
It's okay. The whole movie is essentially an episode of Star Trek TOS, with bad dialog.
I found it interesting that back then we imagined humans have achieved light speed travel yet don't have robots.
User avatar
obvs
Posts: 27722
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:44 pm
Title: Socialist isn't an epithet;it's a badge.

Post by obvs »

Get Out.

I had seen no previews or pictures. I had no idea who was in it or what it was about.

I know I'm late, but very well done.
User avatar
Pithecanthropus
Posts: 6076
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:46 pm
Title: Roast Master
Location: St. Cloud, MN
Contact:

Post by Pithecanthropus »

The other day marked the anniversary of Dee Snider talking before a congressional committee about music censorship and ratings systems. I watched his testimony on YouTube, which led me to watch Frank Zappa's testimony on the same subject (which I was surprised to find filled with straw man arguments, and slippery slopes galore), and then John Denver's testimony. In Denver's testimony, he mentions how certain theatres refused to advertise his movie, "Oh God!" on their marquees.

So we watched "Oh God" last night. Larry Gelbart of MASH fame wrote the screenplay, and it was directed by Carl Reiner (I had no idea). All in all, it's a very low-key, pleasant movie, that depicts God (George Burns) as much more of a deist-type being. "I put you on this earth, and gave you everything you need to make it work, now it's up to you." And John Denver does a great job acting. I loved it!
set DeusEx.JCDentonMale bCheatsEnabled true
User avatar
Ribtor
Posts: 9364
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:45 pm

Post by Ribtor »

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017) Frances McDormand and Sam Rockwell earned their Oscars with this movie. Great.
Pyke notte thy nostrellys
User avatar
TOS
Posts: 39391
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Post by TOS »

Pithecanthropus wrote: The other day marked the anniversary of Dee Snider talking before a congressional committee about music censorship and ratings systems. I watched his testimony on YouTube, which led me to watch Frank Zappa's testimony on the same subject (which I was surprised to find filled with straw man arguments, and slippery slopes galore), and then John Denver's testimony. In Denver's testimony, he mentions how certain theatres refused to advertise his movie, "Oh God!" on their marquees.

So we watched "Oh God" last night. Larry Gelbart of MASH fame wrote the screenplay, and it was directed by Carl Reiner (I had no idea). All in all, it's a very low-key, pleasant movie, that depicts God (George Burns) as much more of a deist-type being. "I put you on this earth, and gave you everything you need to make it work, now it's up to you." And John Denver does a great job acting. I loved it!


oh yeah, i vaguely remember that movie

george burns had this late-life career golden age ... working constantly in his 80s or 90s or whateva
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
Post Reply