What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166 ... 196
Online now: Google [Bot]
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
justine posted:
Anyone see The Ritual? I watched it on my iPod so i want to rewatch it on tv. It was very dark, as in brightness, but my initial feeling was it was kinda weird and like the Wicker Man or some M Knight flick. I might have a better opinion after seeing it on a tv, though.

Which Wicker Man are you referring to? The Vincent Price classic or the Nicholas Cage WTF and WHY?
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I saw both, and thought they were equally weird. It's been a while since i saw them, but it just seemed like the whole ritual thing was reminiscent of that. Of course, i could be way off and remembering something else, but yeah, i still need to rewatch it on a normal screen to get the full benefit. Don't get me wrong. It wasn't a bad movie, but it wasn't great and was kinda weird like i said. Still, i'm willing to watch it again. :)
The Perils of Gwendoline in the Land of the Yik-Yak (1984) Tawny Kitaen, Zabou. From the same director as 'Emmanuelle'. Not sure what it was.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Ribtor posted:
The Perils of Gwendoline in the Land of the Yik-Yak (1984) Tawny Kitaen, Zabou. From the same director as 'Emmanuelle'. Not sure what it was.

after Googling and IMBDing, I feel that this investigation may require a personal viewing.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Field of Dreams. Love this flick!
"Hey dad? Wanna have a catch?" :sniff sniff:

(1981) Pretty good. Directed by Burt Reynolds.
Carry On Camping (1969) The Carry on gang go camping. Avoid.
Vulture 420
The Killing Of A Sacred Deer, it was quite enjoyable. Saw the new Bladerunner, also quite good. I was too stupid to figure out the ending before the ending.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Blade Runner 2049

:up:
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Black Panther
I'm generally not very into the superhero movies. This was OK, I liked some of the art direction, and costumes, etc. I think the social aspects of the movie are a definite plus, but the contemporary big-movie action sequences--especially the fight sequences just all seem the same and seem pretty stupid.
I also have problems with special effects--no matter how advanced they are, I just keep seeing them as fake. I have trouble "buying in" I guess.
I was hoping for more.

Had to sit through about ten previews, just about all of them have the same exact vibe.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
ukimalefu posted:
Blade Runner 2049

I still want to see this. Unfortunately, I keep getting outvoted. :(
maurvir posted:
ukimalefu posted:
Blade Runner 2049

uhm, don't you have your own computer? tablet? phone? and if need be, you don't even have to pay... you should... if you can... but... you know...
dv
ukimalefu posted:
maurvir posted:
ukimalefu posted:
Blade Runner 2049

uhm, don't you have your own computer? tablet? phone? and if need be, you don't even have to pay... you should... if you can... but... you know...

If you were married and had a couple spawnbeasts children of your own, you'd know why watching a movie is a family activity and disappearing for 3 hours to watch a movie by yourself is just not feasible.
juice Inadvertently correct
Who wants to watch a movie on a phone?
dv
juice posted:

BLANKET FORT!!!
juice posted:

I guess no one, but it's an option.

also, cinema app for google cardboard (no idea if it's any good, but google cardboard vr systems are cheap)

dv posted:

BLANKET FORT!!!

Lombo Opiofiend
Dorkyness factor : Through the roof !
Blade Runner 2049 (2017) I didn't bother finishing it. Got two thirds through it and consulted Wikipedia for the finish. Not for me, either film.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Annihilation. A problematic, but decent sci-fi. The alien encounter at the end made me think I was watching a Sia video.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Robert B. posted:
Annihilation. A problematic, but decent sci-fi. The alien encounter at the end made me think I was watching a Sia video.

I've seen a few commercials for this film, and I cannot tell what it's about in the least. Something sci-fi with tons of CGI is all I get out of it. Oh, and Natalie Portman is in it.
user Stupid cockwomble
well, she's a professional
TOS
recently saw her in "jackie", great flick, she was fantastic
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017) That's more like it. A wonderful mess.
juice Inadvertently correct
TOS posted:
recently saw her in "jackie", great flick, she was fantastic

Agreed.
Mute, a new Netflix film directed by Duncan Jones.

Amazing film. Probably the best performance I have ever seen Paul Rudd give.

a couple of things that couldn’t have been coincidence: Paul Rudd plays a doctor. He and his partner in crime, Duck, look a lot like Trapper John and Hawkeye from the Altman film. And there is a character who is dressed exactly like Dave Prowse’s character in A Clockwork Orange. Also, Sam Rockwell makes a couple of appearances on TVs in the background as his character from ththe equally amazing film Moon
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Pithecanthropus posted:
Robert B. posted:

I've seen a few commercials for this film, and I cannot tell what it's about in the least. Something sci-fi with tons of CGI is all I get out of it. Oh, and Natalie Portman is in it.

Something crashes into Earth and establishes a perimeter through which people can see into as though looking though a prism. Several teams soldiers and government scientists have been sent to cross the perimeter, but none have returned—until one finally does and he can't remember anything. His wife, a biologist, is selected for the follow up mission.

Last edited by Robert B. on Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:56 pm.

Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Deadpool (2016). I avoided it mainly because I hit super hero movie saturation at the first Captain America movie. I'm glad I watched it.
Pithecanthropus posted:
Deadpool (2016). I avoided it mainly because I hit super hero movie saturation at the first Captain America movie. I'm glad I watched it.

Indeed.

Gilda (1946) Rita Hayworth and some other actors. Classic. If I had a time machine I'd buy a white suit and go gambling in 'The Argentine'.

Ribtor posted:
Blade Runner 2049 (2017) I didn't bother finishing it. Got two thirds through it and consulted Wikipedia for the finish. Not for me, either film.

I gave it a second viewing and it wasn't so bad. But it was overly long which wouldn't be so bad if the pace were quickened up. The visuals were excellent as was the sound. I thought the buildings and other effects looked a bit 80s-ish in their rendering which was a nice touch. The effects were updated from the original but not so much to be jarring. Some continuity. Maybe I imagined that.
I never liked Blade Runner (I know, blasphemy) and coudn't be bothered with this either. Also, despite loving anime, not a fan of Ghost in the Shell. It's because I fundamentally do not believe in artificial intelligence and have no fear or wonder of it. It does not exist and never will. Same reason The Exorcist never scared me. It is possible we will invent completely artificial bodies, so Altered Carbon is more interesting to me.
user Stupid cockwomble
Your interest in science fiction is based on how possible it is?

Interesting.

I absolutely don't believe in the supernatural but I can enjoy an episode of Lucifer.
user posted:
Your interest in science fiction is based on how possible it is?

Interesting.

When it's trying to portray a style of realism, it is. I think my biggest problem with Blade Runner is that Harrison Ford wan't going all Han Solo and Indiana Jones on these maudlin robo-crocks.

Quote:
I absolutely don't believe in the supernatural but I can enjoy an episode of Lucifer.

Not me...but I did like both Ghost Rider movies.
user Stupid cockwomble
My biggest problem with Blade Runner is that it tried to portray a Dick novel but fell far short. All of them do.
Finally got a day off of work to see Black Panther. Was not disappointed. Beautiful flick. It's basically the same as any Marvel Superhero action, but the designs and style and scenery are all outrageously stunning and the story has a bit more heart than usual.
Justice League

-not bad... compared to other DC comics movies
Ghost in the shell

-

Good movie... with a disappointing ending. It was like they planned to leave an open ending for a potential sequel, but it just felt incomplete.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
We were shut in from the Nor'Easter Friday and most of the weekend. Didn't lose power but lost internet Saturday. Still no service. We were lucky. A far worse storm than I anticipated.

The Emoji Movie This movie frequently makes the lists of "worst movie every made". The problem from my perspective is that it looks a LOT like almost every other animated feature these days. I'm not saying I liked it, just that it really doesn't seem all that different from Wreck it Ralph or the Lego Movie.

The Pirates! (Band of Misfits) From Aardman animation. I really liked this, need to see it again, as I was distracted due to weather, etc.

Ghostbusters Still find this totally enjoyable.

Ghostbusters 2 I think I had only seen bits and pieces of this. It's a pretty decent sequel.

This is Spinal Tap My kid's first viewing of this. Parts had my son laughing his ass off (he loves inappropriate humor). My daughter liked it but was weirded out by the sexual humor. They was slightly taken aback by how many times "fiddlesticks" was said.

Monkey Business
Duck Soup
Do the plots matter in any of the classic Marx Bros movies? When trying to select which of the five movies we own we would see, we had trouble recalling which was which (names of the movies give no hint with most of them). I remember Duck Soup was the "war" between Fredonia and Sylvania, and Horse Feathers is the college one.
Anyway, it is always great when the kids request movies made before their grandparents were born.

Last edited by Séamas on Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:59 pm.

dv
We started watching this last weekend. (On Netflix.)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blue_Planet
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Quote:
The Pirates! (Band of Misfits)

That's actually stop-motion, rather than digital animation.
Good movie. Funny.
user Stupid cockwomble
claymation is aardman's speciality
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166 ... 196