maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
macnuke posted:
hedy was hot.

:: does GIS ::

Yup.
user Stupid cockwomble
juice Inadvertently correct
user posted:

There should be a like button for this post.
Lamarr was 35 when that movie was made, playing the younger sister of Angela Lansbury, who was 25 at the time.
dv
Coco.

I don't know if it's a fair representation of beliefs w/r/t Dia de los Muertos, and I'm not 100% where the line is between "cartoon" and "yeahbutthatsanegativestereotype" but it was a cute movie.
TOS
i, tonya

pretty good, i liked it

Wait a minute... :paranoid:
user Stupid cockwomble
so harding just wasn't her last name
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Boss Baby. Kinda cute!
The Dark Knight (2008) I don't get the praise. To me it is an overlong mess.
TOS
Ribtor posted:
I don't get the praise.

you never, ever do
The first Bale Batman was great. The second not so much but I have hopes for the third one.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Ribtor posted:

watch it again
DukeofNuke posted:
Ribtor posted:

watch it again

This. The second one is easily as good as the first, maybe even better. It lacks some of the unnecessary weirdness and replaces it with definitely required weirdness.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
I didn't like the 2nd one that much either. The first and third are better.
Ribtor posted:

That's the way I feel about the third one.
The third one was way too long as well. To use one word, I'd describe the second and third films as turgid. I wonder if ithat's a Christopher Nolan thing.

The Imitation Game (2014) Cumberbatch is great portraying a certain version of Turing in a Bletchly Park that didn't exist, alongside heavily fictionalized co-workers and superiors. But it's not a documentary and it hits all the salient points of the true story while making for a thought provoking film. A film very much in the style of "The Theory Of Everything" and" A Dangerous Mind". Well worth a look.

The Hunted (2003) Tommy Lee Jones and Benecio Del Toro. An unpretentious, stripped-down action thriller. The two leads still posses super-human fighting and running and jumping abilities as is the norm for cinematic 'reality'. The opening scenes in Kosovo were badly done and did not fit with the rest of the film but it's still a worthwhile look at what "Rambo" could be when real actors are involved.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
j_tso posted:
Ribtor posted:

That airplane stunt at the beginning, though ... :eek:
DukeofNuke posted:
j_tso posted:
Ribtor posted:

That airplane stunt at the beginning, though ... :eek:

That was well done. And the action took place in daylight so you could actually see it.
Moneyball (2011) Takes the usual cinematic liberties with the facts but is worth a look. It held my attention even though the subject matter means nothing to me. That' may be a sign of good storytelling.

Primer (2004) Two guys invent a time machine in their garage and their experiences and relationship spin out of control. I didn't follow all of it but it's a very well done film. Bigger budget movies have done far worse jobs on the subject than this.
The Rutles All you Need Is Cash (1978) Wonderful

The Rutles Can't Buy Me Lunch (2002) New interviews. Fun. (The summer of lunch; all you need is lunch...)

If you want to confuse millennials, play them a Rutles album.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
If you sing the title of "Sergeant Rutter's Only Darts Club Band" backwards, it's supposed to sound very like "Stig has been dead for ages, honestly." In fact, it sounds uncannily like "Dnab Bulc Ylno S'rettur Tnaegres."
Sphere (1998) Barry Levinson directs Dustin Hoffman, Sharon Stone, Samuel Jackson and Liev Schreiber, Peter Coyote and Queen Latifah in an adapotation of a Crichton book. Avoid.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Ribtor posted:
Sphere (1998) Barry Levinson directs Dustin Hoffman, Sharon Stone, Samuel Jackson and Liev Schreiber, Peter Coyote and Queen Latifah in an adapotation of a Crichton book. Avoid.

I liked the book, but the movie just bit it.
Pithecanthropus posted:
Ribtor posted:

I liked the book, but the movie just bit it.

Really a shame, because that was one of his better efforts.
gd Hero of Twilight
The Greatest Showman
Séamas Honorary Consul General
The Godfather

I am trying to think of the last time I saw the whole thing. I have seen most of it on numerous occasions, but I think most of the time I miss the first 15-20 minutes.

Also the first time I noticed that the cemetery was one I used to live 1/4 mile from for 4 years.
TOS
thor ragnarok, second viewing

still a great flick

i suspect the whole mcu is coming to an end soon, but it’s great that the movies can still be great
dv
TOS posted:

still a great flick

i suspect the whole mcu is coming to an end soon, but it’s great that the movies can still be great

End why? They're just setting up for phase 3 or 4 or whatever, with new actors/characters.

As long as they keep making money...
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
TOS posted:

still a great flick

They have around 70 years worth of storyboarded scripts premade. If they wanted to, they could do the whole Marvel universe over again completely differently. Face it, it's the new action cop movie. Remember how those came out every month in the 80's and 90's? Personally, I prefer the superheroes.
DEyncourt posted:
This is a movie that isn't out yet, but OMGOMGOMG!

June 15, 2018.

Tweet: "Meet the Cast of Incredibles 2".
Speaking of which: oops! iTunes released copies of "Thor: Ragnarok" to people who pre-ordered it on January 20th. The actual delivery date was supposed to be February 20th.

Did someone just type in a "1" instead of "2" somewhere?
user Stupid cockwomble
Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2

Hence my slogan.

Not bad. Not as re-watchable as the first (fewer locations).
Trumbo (2015) Bryan Cranston, Louis C.K., Diane Lane, Helen Mirren, Elle Fanning, and a great big performance by a great big John Goodman. A film about the Hollywood blacklist centered on Dalton Trumbo. Takes loads of liberties with facts; probably too many, but watch it for Cranston and Goodman's performances. The guy who played John Wayne was also very good I thought.
The Forecaster (2014) Documentary about a financial forecaster who claims his historically based computer model predicts political, economic and financial calamity based on recurring instances of the value of pi. He was jailed for 11 years on fraud and contempt charges. The film attempts to exonerate him but provides no evidence of his innocence and no counter arguments are presented. A one-sided and highly suspect bit of re-branding.
Birdman (2014) Everyone and everything just works. From the music to the camera work to the story to the acting... I can see why it won at the Oscars. A film to see.
Action gals this week.

Atomic Blonde
Could've been titled Charlize Theron is Still Hot. Gritty action, Charlize in various states of dress, set in the 1980s with a top 10 hit playing every other scene, and a weak spy story. All style, no substance, I was fine with it.
I would've liked the ending more if the last 5 minutes had been cut out, but I guess everyone needs a happy ending.

Wonder Woman
It was all right. A little too long, and the final fight was a disappointment. After all the hand-to-hand combat, the final battle is just 2 people throwing CGI at each other. The other problem is she never seemed to be in danger, her mother was worried about Ares knowing she exists and that came to nothing.
j_tso posted:
Action gals this week.

Atomic Blonde is a story worth continuing. Wonder Woman will have sequels regardless of merit. I too enjoyed both.

The Seven-Per-Cent Solution (1976) Nicol Williamson, Robert Duvall, Alan Arkin, Vanessa Redgrave and Laurence Olivier. Holmes, Watson and Sigmund Freud are on the trail of an evil baron. They hijack a train and chop part of it up; Freud is handy with a gun; they are very nearly killed by Lipizzan horses and Holmes overcomes his cocaine addiction (his seven per-cent solution). Good fun.
Osmosis Jones (2001) Chris Rock and David Hyde-Pierce provide voices for the animated bit and Bill Murray stars in the live action part about a slob (Murray) who gets an infection. A determined white blood cell (Rock) and a cold tablet (Hyde-Pierce) go on an adventure to stop a virus (Laurence Fishburne) from killing Frank. Got bad reviews but I liked it. The live action part is dull but the animation part keeps it together.

Mean Streets (1973) Early Scorsese movie with Harvey Keitel and De Niro. Well regarded film about a couple of small time hoods who get into a adventures in their neighborhood. I don't get the praise. It's basically "Dumb and Dumber" without the laughs.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164 ... 195