What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163 ... 195
Online now: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]
user Stupid cockwomble
Unfortunately, if you've read the book, it's a total abomination. I think they really went off a silly end with the Moore films.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
I'm glad they did, because Bond as a character cannot be taken too seriously.
Metacell posted:
^^ I loved Hidden Fortress and Seven Samurai. I haven't seen Yojimbo...isn't Sanjuro inspiration for Zatoichi and Lone Wold and Cub style outlaw swordsmen? Or was it already popular in cinema?

I think Yojimbo started or was the most popular wandering stranger type story. Sanjuro is a semi-sequel to it and a bit lighter. I saw that one first many years ago because the video store didn't have Yojimbo.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Die Hard. Because it's Chritmastime.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Pithecanthropus posted:

It's Dec 4

but ok

Go make a xmas tree ornament

https://imgur.com/gallery/5uyi7
Donkey Butter jerk face
Pithecanthropus posted:

I was just thinking about that movie as I was putting together a Christmas movie list for my kids and I (that one was for me since my kids are only 7 and 8)
ukimalefu posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:

It's Dec 4

but ok

I've already gotten paid to play Xmas music. On Dec. 1st. So...
Séamas Honorary Consul General
ukimalefu posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:

It's Dec 4

but ok

I have a neighbor who had christmas wreaths up before Veteran's day.

Last year he was the first person I ever saw to have a tree up on Thanksgiving.
This year at least 3 people on the street did the same thing, and people are buying trees thanksgiving weekend and talk about it as if they have always done it this early.

Personally, I prefer to buy them later so they aren't dropping needles like crazy on the 25th and need to toss it out before new years.
Unfortunately, I think they are now cutting the trees down before Halloween.

yet apparently there is a war on Christmas. Maybe there should be. It has now taken over all of December and is looking to swallow November and October.

/humbug-rant
dv
Séamas posted:
Last year he was the first person I ever saw to have a tree up on Thanksgiving.

Black Friday used to be our traditional tree setup day. The joys of having fakes.
Séamas posted:
ukimalefu posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:

It's Dec 4

but ok

I have a neighbor who had christmas wreaths up before Veteran's day.
[snip]

Heh.

I had belonged to an a capella singing group that was focused on Christmas. For 10 years we did several performances around Christmas time. Fortunately for us in the group our director had somewhat eclectic tastes in music and chose a selection every year of not-very-common Christmas carols--while all were recognizably Christmas-y, there were many in this group which I (with my Buddhist childhood) had NEVER heard at all--along with some more familiar tunes like "Good King Wenceslas" and "Carol of the Bells".

Especially because of those uncommon carols, we began weekly practices at the start of SEPTEMBER. That's right: for over 4 months I would have my head filled up with Christmas music.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
DEyncourt posted:

Especially because of those uncommon carols, we began weekly practices at the start of SEPTEMBER. That's right: for over 4 months I would have my head filled up with Christmas music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCabI3MdV9g
White Christmas (1954) Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye, Vera Ellen and Rosemary Clooney. I love this movie, and it wouldn't be Xmas without it. (Yes, I know all about Holiday Inn, and I prefer White Xmas).
juice Inadvertently correct
Twenty years of working retail has ruined this season for me.

I try to not let my wasteful attitude ruin it for the people around me. I think my wife would tell you I'm failing in my attempt.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Moonrise Kingdom

It's sort of cute, but also a little creepy. I've seen if before, but this time with my kids, at my daughter's request (one of her friends saw it).

They thought it was weird and they didn't really see much of a decent plot.
I think they are right. I don't mind weirdness, and have a love/hate issues with Wes Anderson. I know, I know it is his "style" to constantly mimic his own work, but I would be lying if I said I didn't think he did his best movie first (Bottler Rocket).
I think he has some fetish for flat affect.
juice posted:
Twenty years of working retail has ruined this season for me.

I try to not let my wasteful attitude ruin it for the people around me. I think my wife would tell you I'm failing in my attempt.

There is a corner liquor store that I frequent only because of convenience of some quick purchases. For some reason for over a decade they have put up around the store one of those cheapie Christmas light ornaments which apparently has a broken sound chip in it in order to play some Christmas tunes VERY badly because the tones are somewhere halfway between standard notes. I am betting that the store's owner does come by infrequently to check that none of his clerks have turned the sound off because it has always been playing EVERY time I've stopped by following US Turkey Day.

It HAS been enough to drive me batty for only the few minutes I have been subjected to it. I cannot imagine having to put in a full shift under that barrage.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Jurassic World : Basically just more of the same...I think a version of nearly every single scene exists in the first movies (although I think half of them are tribute shots). It gets cartoonishly silly toward the ending (which I saw coming 45 minutes in advance). Of note: there is massive amounts of violence, but compared to the original movie series, almost no blood or gore. Spielberg knows when to spring a severed arm. Meh...I didn't hate it.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
The Disaster Artist. Thoroughly enjoyable and James Franco is spot on. Have you ever met someone whose interpretation and self-awareness were on a totally different planet? This is seeing that again.

You can see The Disaster Artist and understand it without having seen The Room, but it provides greatly more context if you have.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
The recent attention has made me want to see The Room. Is it streaming anywhere?
DukeofNuke posted:
The recent attention has made me want to see The Room. Is it streaming anywhere?

I've seen enough bits of it to know I would never waste my time in such an endeavor.
DukeofNuke posted:

You can actually find the full version on YouTube. Prep yourself and have a few drinks before you start.
The Big Sick.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

:up:
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Ferdinand. It was surprisingly really good. We all liked it.
Monsters (2010) Must be the lowest key, least action-packed sci-fi monster movie ever. I liked the pace and the small cast and the monster effects. Worth a look but don't expect 'King Kong or 'Godzilla' or 'Pacific Rim'.

Monsters Dark Continent (2013) The same monsters but this time they are in some war torn mid-east nation with soldiers running around. A real mess. Avoid. The photography and effects don't make up for the plotting.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I watched Guardians of the Galaxy II again but kept it running through the credits and finally saw the teasers in there.
Always late to the party. :(
Mission Impossible Rogue Nation. (2016) Cruise is looking a bit puffy around the eyes. The entire structure of that film is basically a classic Bond movie from opening to end, (more so than previous examples). I especially liked the opera house scenes and the motorcycle chase.

Mr. And Mrs Smith (2005) Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie. Has nothing to do with the 1941 film of the same name by Hitchcock. If there was chemistry between the leads it was off screen. Didn't make it past half way before turning it off.
dv
Bright.

Actually not a bad popcorn flick movie. I enjoyed it.
dv
Finally saw Thor.

"But... big monster!"
TOS
die hard

it being christmas and all
TOS
blade runner 2049

really liked it

didn't tie things up with a pretty bow and was beautiful to boot
Atomic Blonde (2017) Fun stuff. I wonder how many of those bruises were real.

Dunkirk (2017) An exercise in film making rather than telling history. Given that the story has been told so often and there are no spoilers to be kept, that's a good thing.

The three timelines were effective, an hour in the air, a day on the boat and a week on the beach. Spotting how they coincided kept my interest. Michael Caine's voice as RAF leader was a nice touch.
Sully (2016) Tom Hanks directed by Clint Eastwood. They really had to dig to generate drama to sustain 90 minutes of screen time. The NTSB was made out to be run by a villain out to get the pilot.
user Stupid cockwomble
I gave up on that one quick.
TOS posted:
blade runner 2049

really liked it

didn't tie things up with a pretty bow and was beautiful to boot

Yeah I liked it also. I think it is pretty ingenious how they portray the replicants and how they react to certain phrases; and besides who doesn't like to see Las Vegas as a dust bowl laden waste land?
juice Inadvertently correct
You mean it isn’t?
juice posted:
You mean it isn’t?

Ummmm....good point. :lol:
A Tale Of Two Cities (1958) Dirk Bogarde, Dorothy Tutin, Donald Pleasence, Christopher Lee. Lee is outrageously evil; Bogarde does "a far far better thing"; Pleasence is slimy and the actress playing Madame DeFarge is the standout character. I think this film is the version to watch.
Taken (2008) Liam Neeson leaves no Albanian unturned in an effort to rescue his daughter.
Samson and Delilah (1949) C.B. DeMille picture with Hedy Lamarr, Victor Mature and Angela Lansbury. Great technicolor fun. Pure cheese, ham, and beefcake.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163 ... 195