What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162 ... 195
Online now: Google [Bot], iDaemon
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
dv posted:
The Mummy. I know it was a "flop" but I actually rather enjoyed it.

I liked the original The Mummy too. Yes, it was campy as hell, but that was a huge part of its charm.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Little Shop of Horrors (1960).
Very low budget, but very stupid/funny. Early Jack Nicholson in a small part.
user Stupid cockwomble
He played the masochist as someone crazed. Bill Murray did it better as an alt-enjoyment person.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
macnuke Afar
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.

the director also directed Fifth Element.
and there is some bleeding of the style that shows.
don't think about it... just watch it for what it is.
I enjoyed.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
I heard you should do a lot of drugs first.
macnuke Afar
Fantasia it is not.
dv
user posted:
He played the masochist as someone crazed. Bill Murray did it better as an alt-enjoyment person.

Well, it was 1960. All deviancy is insane.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
user posted:

That, sir, is a matter of opinion.
dv posted:
user posted:

Well, it was 1960. All deviancy is insane.

Plus its a Roger Corman movie. He probably had all of a couple hours to learn his lines.

It has been years since I saw the (musical) movie. Do they have the guy who eats flowers for lunch (Burson Fouch) and Seymour's mother? His mother has some of the more ridiculous lines.
The Hateful Eight
It has some nice visual stuff, and some horrific visual stuff.
Samuel L. Jackson is an excellent actor, Jennifer Jason Leigh is excellent too.
The rest of the cast are ok.
The story isn't all that interesting The dialogue is like someone writing a parody of Tarantino.

Then there is lots of blood, lots of gunshots creating explosions of blood, bone, brains and flesh. And people using the N-word a lot.
TOS
Séamas posted:
The Hateful Eight
It has some nice visual stuff, and some horrific visual stuff.
Samuel L. Jackson is an excellent actor, Jennifer Jason Leigh is excellent too.
The rest of the cast are ok.
The story isn't all that interesting The dialogue is like someone writing a parody of Tarantino.

Then there is lots of blood, lots of gunshots creating explosions of blood, bone, brains and flesh. And people using the N-word a lot.

the background of the movie was that the script got leaked online whereupon tarantino flipped out and refused to make it ... but as people read the script they loved it and momentum built for him to do something with it

so he organized a stage show with the actors sitting on chairs reading their lines and tarantino reading the description, the audiences went bonkers

as a result he ended up making the movie

personally i think it would have made a better stage play
TOS posted:

I remember thinking the same exact thing about Reservoir Dogs when it came out.
dv
Séamas posted:
TOS posted:

I remember thinking the same exact thing about Reservoir Dogs when it came out.

RD basically was a stage play. Not very many camera angles, mostly indoor action. Characters leaving and entering the scene instead of the scene changing. It would work with only minor tweaks.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
I watched Young Frankenstein for probably the seventh or eighth time.

I'm not sure whether to comment on how awesome the movie was or how Teri Garr was stunningly beautiful, so I'll just do both.
Young Frankenstein is one of my go-to movies when I can't decide. Up there with The Producers.

Husbands and Wives (1992) Woody Allen comedy/drama. Done in a fake documentary style but still just Woody Allen's stock characters whinging and whining about their marriages. The cast makes it watchable though.
Thor: Ragnarok

The perfect movie for when Star Wars, The Lord of the Rings, The Wizard of Oz, Flash Gordon, and just for good measure, let's say Wall-E, just won't do it for you, so you'd better watch all those movies combined into one. Also, the credits seemed to include the populations of several large nations, and it looked like it absorbed the combined economies of several small star systems. Can't say I didn't enjoy it.
dv
Colossal

If you haven't seen it, you should.
dv posted:
Colossal

If you haven't seen it, you should.

Yes.
user Stupid cockwomble
TOS
obvs posted:

I'm not sure whether to comment on how awesome the movie was or how Teri Garr was stunningly beautiful, so I'll just do both.

My kids are 10 and 12, and I estimate they have seen it at least that many times. Just say "Blücher" in my house and you'll hear them respond appropriately.
juice Inadvertently correct
Séamas posted:
obvs posted:

My kids are 10 and 12, and I estimate they have seen it at least that many times. Just say "Blücher" in my house and you'll hear them respond appropriately.

Winning at parenting!
juice posted:
Séamas posted:
obvs posted:

Winning at parenting!

They have gotten most of the fundamentals: early steady diet of Loony tunes and Charlie Chaplin shorts, then onto Marx Bros and certain Mel Brooks movies, Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

My son turns 13 in a little over a week. I will be getting him the Monty Python Flying Circus DVD box set.
dv
Séamas posted:
juice posted:
Séamas posted:
obvs posted:

Winning at parenting!

They have gotten most of the fundamentals: early steady diet of Loony tunes and Charlie Chaplin shorts, then onto Marx Bros and certain Mel Brooks movies, Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

My son turns 13 in a little over a week. I will be getting him the Monty Python Flying Circus DVD box set.

"Daddy! The Sherrif's a -"

"Son, we need to talk."

:heh:
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Séamas posted:
obvs posted:

I took this picture about a year ago:

20161119_111743.jpg
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Séamas posted:
juice posted:
Séamas posted:
obvs posted:

Winning at parenting!

No Three Stooges ?
DukeofNuke posted:
Séamas posted:
juice posted:
Séamas posted:
obvs posted:

Winning at parenting!

No Three Stooges ?

We have a DVD and have yet to watch it.

I fear their love of the Marx bros have made them too high brow for Stooges.
user Stupid cockwomble
Wonder Woman (2017)

I honestly don't understand all the hype around this. We get a few good bits like Diana's "fish out of water" experiences, and she gets to scold some old white guys, but other than that it's just another GCI action spectacle.

There was a time when actors and movie makers actually went out in the real world, built sets, and had people act on them. I miss those times. I could see the compositing in the first 5 minutes.

For the final battle, I swear the actors only had to show up to give reaction shots, and the kids down in the CG lab took care of everything else.

Yes, I enjoyed it for what it is, a superhero movie, but I fail to see why everyone went apeshit over this film.
Chicago (2002)

I honestly don’t give a fiddlesticks about any of the characters, and the music all sounds the same to me.

It won Oscars?
Yori Program
Pirates of the Caribbean - Salazar's Revenge (a.k.a. Dead Men Tell No Tales)
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Pithecanthropus posted:
Chicago (2002)

I honestly don’t give a fiddlesticks about any of the characters, and the music all sounds the same to me.

It won Oscars?

Then you should see Roxie Hart (1942) with Ginger Rogers and Adolphe Menjou. Adapted from the same play but far better.
This is a movie that isn't out yet, but OMGOMGOMG!

June 15, 2018.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
DEyncourt posted:
This is a movie that isn't out yet, but OMGOMGOMG!

June 15, 2018.

OMGOMGOMG indeed
user Stupid cockwomble
dv
Strange Brew. (1983) Cute. Beer.

Life of Brian - there aren't many movies I'd be interested in watching again after the first time, but that's one I've seen before and will see again.
Crossed a couple of Kurosawa/samurai movies off my should have but haven't seen list:

Yojimbo
The Hidden Fortress

Both star Toshiro Mifune as a fighter who uses more brains than sword wielding.
Yojimbo was the inspiration for A Fistful of Dollars, which I haven't seen so I don't know how inspired it was.
The Hidden Fortress influenced Star Wars since the narrative is told by following two minor characters like R2D2 and C3PO were.
^^ I loved Hidden Fortress and Seven Samurai. I haven't seen Yojimbo...isn't Sanjuro inspiration for Zatoichi and Lone Wold and Cub style outlaw swordsmen? Or was it already popular in cinema?

Live and Let Die (1973), available here in widescreen uncut HD for free; YMMV, I have no idea how these third pary fly-by-night Netflix alternatives function, but I figure it's them doing the copyright stealing, not you, so...

Probably my favorite James Bond film of all time, starring Roger Moore, Jayne Seymour (debut role), Yaphet Kotto, and Gloria Hendry as my favorite Bond Girl (breaks my heart each time she dies). It's great because it's also probably the biggest Blaxploitation film of all time (owing to White backing), and the Mr. Big in this film is a direct inspiration to Mr. Big in I'm Gonna Get You Sucka. I also think this film is the most direct inspiration of the Indiana Jones films, especially the "truck chase" as this has some of the best car, bus, and boat chases ever, not to mention snakes. It's Roger Moore's intro to the series (he doesn't appear in the opening montage), and does a great job of showing the panache and confidence of the role while adapting well to its obvious silliness. It's a movie that intensifies steadily throughout and actively include ultimately unexplained mysticism. Lot's of stuff I didn't pick up on as a youngster, such as more subtle forms of racism. James Bond's stately UK entrance into a Harlem Nightclub remains a cinematic classic. A Life-and-let-Death affirming movie which features both Crocodiles and Sharks as man-eating threats. Culturally valuable, IMO, and also historically as this is a film about exploiting opioid addiction and the often racist fight against, the karma which we now face.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162 ... 195