What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161 ... 195
Online now: Google [Bot]
user Stupid cockwomble
Séamas posted:
user posted:
Repo Man

Repo Man bleeds on the inside.

The life of a repo man is always intense.

For some reason my wife hates that movie.
I intend to tell the kids that the movie depicts what life in the 1980s was really like.

I liked all the generic labels. Probably a licensing necessity that got funny.

I used to be able to get generic stuff in the late 70s. "Beer", white cans, black letters.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Homeward Bound :)
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Armageddon

I had forgotten how stupid, yet amazingly fun to watch, that movie was. Also, Liv Tyler. Damn...
Farewell, My Lovely (1975) Robert Mitchum and Charlotte Rampling. Mitchum is a great Philip Marlowe. Plays in the early 40s. Looks authentic. Sylvester Stallone appears in a small part.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Frenzy (1972) certainly Hitchcock's most graphic, and disturbing movie. 35 minutes in you get a graphic rape and murder that's so artfully filmed, you can't look away. The Master of Suspense was certainly firing on all cylinders when he conceptualized and shot this one. With all deference to John Finch and Barry Foster, I kept seeing Oliver Reed and Michael Caine in their roles.
Labyrinth - the 1986 movie starting David Bowie, a ridiculously young Jennifer Connelly, and a rag-tag group of muppets through Brian Henson.

Like most 80's movies, it struggles to hold up to today's special effects, but it was actually a decent enough film - and something entirely 80's that would be hard to replicate today.
user Stupid cockwomble
Total Recall

The new one. Quite a few nods to the original.

There were THREE tits!

It was on streaming ABC so of course they cropped the frame. Bet they looked real this time.

She even wore the same outfit.
Divergent Insurgent (2016) More of same. The lead character is well played and all the others are just stock characters against which she has to play. I think it's like at a wedding where no one is supposed to overshadow or steal focus from the bride. She does a good job.

The Underworld series (2002-) Fun nonsense. Ms Beckinsale is rather fetching in her black leathers, of course.
The Perils of Pauline (1914) Unscrupulous man tries to steal away Pauline's fortune after her grandfather dies. Perilous balloon rides, rope climbs, car chases and a burning building. Well paced and quite entertaining.

I won't spoil the ending.
Bringing Out The Dead (1999) Scorsese film about a burned out paramedic, and his weird partners and his obsession with a life he failed to save. Cage is well suited to the role and Scorsese is the voice of the ambulance dispatcher. Well worth a look.
dv
Ribtor posted:
Bringing Out The Dead (1999) Scorsese film about a burned out paramedic, and his weird partners and his obsession with a life he failed to save. Cage is well suited to the role and Scorsese is the voice of the ambulance dispatcher. Well worth a look.

I did enjoy that one.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Ribtor posted:

That's a good movie.
user Stupid cockwomble
I'm getting better!
Divergent Allegiant (2016) The lead actress is still very good but the plotting is even more obvious than in the previous two films. The audience knows exactly what's coming two scenes ahead. They really beat the story to death.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I am about 45mins into The War For The Planet Of The Apes and I cannot help but wonder where the hell all these great apes were supposed to come from.
Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Ugh, I am such a nerd but War for the planet of the apes makes no sense if you step back some. What are they eating?
Tropical great apes in the snow? In a temperate woodland?
The final scene was supposed to be like they finally found a home but a lake in the middle of an arid scrub-land won't sustain them.
No bananas. (is that racist?)
dv
Pariah posted:

Not if you're talking about actual apes.

But they eat all sorts of things, not just bananas. Similar to how rabbits don't eat just carrots. It's a cartoon stereotype.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Pariah posted:
Ugh, I am such a nerd but War for the planet of the apes makes no sense if you step back some. What are they eating?
Tropical great apes in the snow? In a temperate woodland?
The final scene was supposed to be like they finally found a home but a lake in the middle of an arid scrub-land won't sustain them.

You know there are, like, 3 movies that come before this, right? IIRC, these are all supposed to be zoo and research apes and their offspring. And they are all supposed to be smart enough to rob a Save Mart.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Guardians of The Galaxy Vol 2

:up:
3 days To Kill (2014) A Luc Besson/ McG French/American co-production. Over the top nonsense but the Besson and McG style was a bit confused and not put to best effect. Kevin Costner was adequate for the role and Amber Heard's character was way over the top.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
dv posted:
Pariah posted:

Not if you're talking about actual apes.

But they eat all sorts of things, not just bananas. Similar to how rabbits don't eat just carrots. It's a cartoon stereotype.

I know.
I meant to suggest a temperate forest of mixed evergreen and deciduous, would not provide the amount of food a large number of great apes would need. I've been in woodlands like that, really not a lot to eat in them unless you are a carnivore.
A hint would be that North America has no indigenous great apes.
Pariah posted:

Excuse me?
the cryptid known as “bigfoot” or “sasquatch”

Well, even if you don't believe that ever existed, there's the incontrovertible fact that the great ape known as "man" managed to survive here.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Metacell posted:
Pariah posted:

Excuse me?

Well, even if you don't believe that ever existed, there's the incontrovertible fact that the great ape known as "man" managed to survive here.

So, you are asserting that great apes, adapted over millions of years to tropical forests, would get on just fine in a northern temperate forest?
dv
Pariah posted:
Metacell posted:
Pariah posted:

Excuse me?

So, you are asserting that great apes, adapted over millions of years to tropical forests, would get on just fine in a northern temperate forest?

No; they'd die in the winter.

But there's certainly enough food in forests for other largeish animals. Black Bears are mostly vegetarian, for instance.
Pariah posted:
Metacell posted:
Pariah posted:

Excuse me?

Humans have managed, so If the other apes were as smart as we were (which is the premise of the film series), then why not?
Metacell posted:
Pariah posted:
Metacell posted:
Pariah posted:

Excuse me?

Humans have managed, so If the other apes were as smart as we were (which is the premise of the film series), then why not?

Humans only managed it after figuring out how to control fire.
Homo Erectus figured that out. I imagine these apes have figured out how to strike a match. But if you want to nitpick an already thoroughly implausible fantasy movie to death over suspect science, be my guest.
juice Inadvertently correct
Metacell posted:
Homo Erectus figured that out. I imagine these apes have figured out how to strike a match. But if you want to nitpick an already thoroughly implausible fantasy movie to death over suspect science, be my guest.

Are you new here? That's what we do. ;)
Evening Star - typical Shirley Maclaine fare. It was decent.
dv
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goon:_Las ... _Enforcers

I am so-so about it, but watched it because I thought the first one was really cute. Not sure why I didn't enjoy the sequel as much, but hey.
There is only one hockey comedy worth watching and it ain't The Mighty Ducks.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Metacell posted:
There is only one hockey comedy worth watching and it ain't The Mighty Ducks.

Slapshot! I picked it up on bluray recently and am getting myself in the mood to watch it.
dv
Spider Man: Homecoming

Actually pretty good for a popcorn flick.
Not quite Halloween themed, but watched some zombies and monsters.

Versus (2000)
Low budget Japanese action gore fest. A prison escapee is led to a forest where he's supposed to meet a yakuza boss and the forest turns corpses into zombies. Guns, swords, and guts all over. The movie plays out like a video game.

Brotherhood of the Wolf (2001)
18th century French countryside is being terrorized by a monster wolf so the king sends a naturalist and his Canadian Indian partner to investigate. Right after The Matrix came out a lot studios employed a Hong Kong fight choreographer, so everybody's kung fu fighting. Also there's Monica Bellucci is in various states of dress.
dv
The Mummy. I know it was a "flop" but I actually rather enjoyed it.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161 ... 195