Online now: Google [Bot]
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
obvs posted:
dv posted:
obvs posted:
dv posted:
obvs posted:
dv posted:
Ummm... "there's a twist" isn't a spoiler, unless water frequently surprises you with its unexpected wetness.
No, that absolutely is a spoiler.

If you're sitting there anticipating a twist it's the same as sitting there anticipating any other event you've been told happens. And in fact, knowing that there is a twist might tip you off early to exactly what the twist might be.

Telling people there's a twist is definitely a spoiler.

Dude. There's always a twist. Unless it's a romantic comedy. And sometimes even then.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1932907009/
There's not always a twist. Very often what happens in a movie is pretty much predictable based on its progression.

Yes. Including the twist.
If it's predictable it's not a twist.

It's not the twist that is predictable, but that the fact that there is a twist that is predictable, or even demanded.
ukimalefu posted:
Ribtor posted:
Cocktail (1988) Tom Cruise, Elizabeth Shue, Bryan Brown and Kelly Lynch's butt.

if you're gonna go that far back for a Tom Cruise movie... watched Risky Business and Top Gun yet?

*edit*

oh and days of thunder

Seen those already. Val Kilmer described Top Gun as nothing more than a modeling job.

The Passengers (2016) I liked it a lot. Knowing what I know of human nature I would probably have acted similarly. I liked that they did space-ship sci-fi gravity right, or at least right enough.

Andy Garcia got a screen credit? Maybe he had other scenes that got cut?

Movie credits are out of control.
user Stupid cockwomble
Was it "and" or "with"? Usually how they get known actors to take on small roles.
His scene must have been all of two seconds with no lines.

His credit appeared as the film ends. In the later detailed cast credit his character even has a name.

The things agents will negotiate...
Vulture 420
Just watched The King Of Comedy, it's even better the second time years later.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
John Wick Chapter 2

:up:

the dog lives, no twist :p
user Stupid cockwomble
Probably still has trouble shooting the boss.
Raging Bull (1980) DeNiro and Pesci have been having the same conversations on film ever since. Gets tedious listening to their goombah conversations after a while. I love how the film was shot, though.

SNL did a nice parody on "The Joe Pesci Show" that actually featured DeNiro and Pesci.
TOS
Ribtor posted:
His scene must have been all of two seconds with no lines.

His credit appeared as the film ends. In the later detailed cast credit his character even has a name.

The things agents will negotiate...

surely it was an oscar-calibre performace?

jkahless Custom Title
Tropic Thunder. Way better than I expected, and a truly stunning performance in a comedy by RDJ. The only way the role worked was because he committed so heavily to it. Satire near its best.
TOS
i thought cruise stole the show
dv
Finally saw xXx.

Oh my god it was so '90s.
user Stupid cockwomble
Hidden Fences :P

Good movie but I kept wondering just how much of the film was "dramatic effect".

Guess I have to read the book.
Yori Program
Stardust

Robert De Niro in drag. Nuff said.
TOS
dunkirk

holy

crap

so

amazeballs
juice Inadvertently correct
TOS posted:
dunkirk

holy

crap

so

amazeballs

I saw it in IMAX. The theatre was a bit loud but otherwise I agree.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
jkahless posted:
Tropic Thunder. Way better than I expected, and a truly stunning performance in a comedy by RDJ. The only way the role worked was because he committed so heavily to it. Satire near its best.

OMG the dance at the end! :lol:
Divergent (2014) Unconvincing is the most charitable word with it it can be described.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
obvs posted:
dv posted:
obvs posted:
dv posted:
obvs posted:
dv posted:
Ummm... "there's a twist" isn't a spoiler, unless water frequently surprises you with its unexpected wetness.
No, that absolutely is a spoiler.

If you're sitting there anticipating a twist it's the same as sitting there anticipating any other event you've been told happens. And in fact, knowing that there is a twist might tip you off early to exactly what the twist might be.

Telling people there's a twist is definitely a spoiler.

Dude. There's always a twist. Unless it's a romantic comedy. And sometimes even then.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1932907009/
There's not always a twist. Very often what happens in a movie is pretty much predictable based on its progression.

Yes. Including the twist.
If it's predictable it's not a twist.

There was not a single moment in Alien Covenant that was not predictable as rain falling. If all of the cliché's were removed from that film it would disappear completely.
Hackneyed, boring and painfully unoriginal.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
It. Was fun. Until I floated.
user Stupid cockwomble
Repo Man

Repo Man bleeds on the inside.

Last edited by user on Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:17 pm.

C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
It.

Was better than I expected.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
C. Ives posted:
It.

Was better than I expected.

I expected It to be good. It didn't let me down. I liked It.
Donkey Butter jerk face
is the new It better than the old It and which would you recommend if I've never seen It?
user Stupid cockwomble
it's the new black
Donkey Butter posted:
is the new It better than the old It and which would you recommend if I've never seen It?

Oh shoot, watch them both. Watch the miniseries first, because it tells the whole story while the movie only tells the story about when they were kids. It's a good telling of the story, but it's made for TV (before digital and all that), so it is nowhere near R rated gruesome, which the movie is, and you will be thankful because it's all the beautiful gruesome missing from PG13 movies....the mental kind.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Saw Darren Arenovsky's "mother!" Was a bit of a trip, but heavy-handed and obvious in the allegory.
Sicario (2015) Emily Blunt, Benicio del Toro, Josh Brolin, Victor Garber. Unpleasant and cynical and I don't think the story holds up.
TOS
watched airplane! for the first time in years ... still laughed!

though holy moly are there a lot of jokes they'd never do nowadays ... lining up to smack, beat and shoot a panicking woman for instance

plus those pedophile jokes, holy crap!
Try watching The Kentucky Fried Movie.

*sigh* drugs made the world a better place.

speaking of which: Guardians of the Galaxy 2

*sigh* I needed moar drugs. Ow, my eyes. But it was pretty entertaining. The cameo with Stan-the-Man and The Watcher was great. Also the whole Kurt Russel/David Hasselhoff thing was a hoot.
dv
Kentucky Fried Movie is way back ordered on Netflix DVD.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Batman: The Killing Joke

Good movie, dark movie, definitely NOT for children animated movie.

But I'm not sure about the ending. Maybe I just didn't get the joke. I googled it, and still didn't like the explanation, even if it makes a bit of sense.
The Wolfman (2010) Benecio del Toro, Emily Blunt, Anthony Hopkins, Hugo Weaving. Didn't quite work.
ukimalefu posted:

But I'm not sure about the ending. Maybe I just didn't get the joke. I googled it, and still didn't like the explanation, even if it makes a bit of sense.

DC's animated feature length stuff is hit or miss. The plots are still juvenile, but they try to spice it up with violence or mild swearing.
dv
j_tso posted:
ukimalefu posted:

DC's animated feature length stuff is hit or miss. The plots are still juvenile, but they try to spice it up with violence or mild swearing.

The plots are right out of the comics.

Make of that what you will.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
What To Expect When You're Expecting. Hilarious! And sad. But mostly hilarious.
Battle in Outer Space

Standard alien invasion movie from Toho. It was made in 1959, right after Sputnik but before Star Trek.
Lots of nice miniature work from the guy that did Godzilla and a moon landing mission, all leading to a space dog fight at the end.
Wonder Woman (2017) One of the better superhero(ine) movies I've seen. I liked the era the story takes place in.

The Eyes Of Laura Mars (1978) Faye Dunaway, Tommy Lee Jones. Not a difficult story to have figured out early on. Lots of Ridiculous Helmut Newton photography.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
user posted:
Repo Man

Repo Man bleeds on the inside.

The life of a repo man is always intense.

For some reason my wife hates that movie.
I intend to tell the kids that the movie depicts what life in the 1980s was really like.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Speaking of the 1980s, I rewatched Stranger Things in anticipation of the second season.

It held up very well on second viewing.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160 ... 195