ukimalefu posted:
Logan

such a good movie
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
TOS posted:
ukimalefu posted:
Logan

such a good movie

Logan is the best movie I've seen so far this year.
dv
Her.

I guess I'm not a very romantic guy, because if my virtual girlfriend started dropping hints about evolving past the material plane of existence, I'd have a lot less existential angst and a lot more questions.
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016).

TL;DR: an OK return to the Potterverse, though some 70+ years beforehand. Not required viewing unless you are a Potterverse fan.

Ultimately I think the main problem with this movie is the question "Was this trip really necessary?" This is not to say that the movie is at all bad, just would you want to spend 2.25 hours on this?

If your approach to Harry Potter is solely through the movies, then perhaps not. The story here is only related to that character by being in the same literary/filmic universe, but with the exception of the main bad guy none of the characters in this movie are directly related to any major characters in those chronologically-speaking later movies. There is a passing reference to Dumbledore in a wizarding newspaper headline, and the name of this movie was a title of a book mentioned at least once in the Potter movies.

Even if you have read the Potter novels and seen their movies I think there are problems with this one. Part is due to change in setting from the UK to the US which requires some--I feel--inadequate changes in language. The British "muggles" for non-wizards is replaced by the American "no-majs" (latter part pronounced like the first three letters of "magic"), yet an investigator for the Magical Congress of the United States of America (MACUSA) is called an auror just like on the other side of the pond. I believe that British Newt Scamander should have required a small dictionary to translate a lot more terms just as is required for jargon in many other fields.

But the biggest problem with this movie is that unlike MOST of the Potter books/movies this one feels rather scattershot with its storyline not hanging together as well. I understand that at first this set of movies was going to be a trilogy but now will be a five-part series. I have not (yet) read the novel which shares the title of this movie so I do not know if it is Rowling's intention to seriously pad out that rather thin book or to release more books covering further parts of Scamander's life with each one having its own movie(s).
dv
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tuskegee_Airmen

Actually really good.

Also, saw 12 Years A Slave. Also excellent.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
dv posted:
Her.

I guess I'm not a very romantic guy, because if my virtual girlfriend started dropping hints about evolving past the material plane of existence, I'd have a lot less existential angst and a lot more questions.
I really liked that movie.
He Never Died.

Dude.

No, dude.
user Stupid cockwomble
Godzilla (2014) Humourless dreck.

Kong Skull Island. (2017) That's more like it.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Alien Covenant

I liked it, more than the previous one, but I don't know if I'm happy with the twist in the story.

Last edited by ukimalefu on Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:12 pm.

You don't understand that that's a spoiler?
dv
Ummm... "there's a twist" isn't a spoiler, unless water frequently surprises you with its unexpected wetness.
obvs posted:
You don't understand that that's a spoiler?

no, but ok, sorry
Anthropoid (2016) True telling of the assassination of Heydrich in 1942. Cillian Murphy is great, as always. Great attention to authenticity in characters and locations. The actual street of the assassination was used as a location.
dv posted:
Ummm... "there's a twist" isn't a spoiler, unless water frequently surprises you with its unexpected wetness.
No, that absolutely is a spoiler.

If you're sitting there anticipating a twist it's the same as sitting there anticipating any other event you've been told happens. And in fact, knowing that there is a twist might tip you off early to exactly what the twist might be.

Telling people there's a twist is definitely a spoiler.
TOS
i'm not even sure what twist he's talking about ... i thought it was fairly predictable
user Stupid cockwomble
However, telling people that there's a shout isn't a spoiler.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
I think those who wanted to see the movie have probably already done so by now, and those who haven't don't give a human waste. Count me in the latter.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
is it on Netflix yet?
George Harrison Living In A Material World (2016) Directed by Scorsese. Over three and a half hours long. The first half is his time with the Beatles and the second as a solo artist.
Pithecanthropus posted:
I think those who wanted to see the movie have probably already done so by now, and those who haven't don't give a human waste. Count me in the latter.
I think that when people repeat this claim they're wrong.

Spoilers are spoilers. Some people don't care, but a lot of people do.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
obvs posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:

Rosebud is his sled.
Pithecanthropus posted:
obvs posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:

Rosebud is his sled.

Snape kills Dumbledore this was spoiled for me back in MAF. From the book, before they even made the movie.
Cocktail (1988) Tom Cruise, Elizabeth Shue, Bryan Brown and Kelly Lynch's butt.
Ribtor posted:
Cocktail (1988) Tom Cruise, Elizabeth Shue, Bryan Brown and Kelly Lynch's butt.

if you're gonna go that far back for a Tom Cruise movie... watched Risky Business and Top Gun yet?

*edit*

oh and days of thunder
obvs posted:
dv posted:

If you're sitting there anticipating a twist it's the same as sitting there anticipating any other event you've been told happens. And in fact, knowing that there is a twist might tip you off early to exactly what the twist might be.

If we can't talk about the things that happen in movies that have been out for quite some time, then we might as well shut Media Center down.
I saw American Made last weekend. It was good. Not as good as Bridge of Spies (though much faster paced), but good.
dv
obvs posted:
dv posted:

Dude. There's always a twist. Unless it's a romantic comedy. And sometimes even then.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1932907009/
dv posted:
obvs posted:
dv posted:

Dude. There's always a twist. Unless it's a romantic comedy. And sometimes even then.

Yeah, it wasn't about any specific twist, just "the" twist in "the" movie. Not any specific "twist." The whole movie's twisted! But if it was referring to David going completely psycho, I must agree: I'm not sure how I feel about it, because David is the most enjoyable character in the story. How do I feel about sympathizing with a xenomorph-making android bent on destroying all humans and their makers? A little awkward, to be sure. But if it's about The untimely and peculiar death of Elizabath Shaw, well, I've seen suggestions that this might pay off to something bigger in the next film. It could be really great...although God knows I've been disappointed before (thanks ROTJ). But if it's just about David killing and replacing Walter, well, I saw that coming whole filming schedules in advance. It does have that Biblical Cain and Abel thing going on.
Metacell posted:
dv posted:
obvs posted:
dv posted:

Yeah, it wasn't about any specific twist, just "the" twist in "the" movie. Not any specific "twist." The whole movie's twisted! But if it was referring to David going completely psycho, I must agree: I'm not sure how I feel about it, because David is the most enjoyable character in the story. How do I feel about sympathizing with a xenomorph-making android bent on destroying all humans and their makers? A little awkward, to be sure. But if it's about The untimely and peculiar death of Elizabath Shaw, well, I've seen suggestions that this might pay off to something bigger in the next film. It could be really great...although God knows I've been disappointed before (thanks ROTJ). But if it's just about David killing and replacing Walter, well, I saw that coming whole filming schedules in advance. It does have that Biblical Cain and Abel thing going on.

OK, FINE, HERE'S THE THING: ***SPOILER ALERT***

THIS CHANGES THE WHOLE ALIENS FRANCHISE
The aliens in the Aliens franchise are not aliens! they're made! genetically engineered by an insane sentient AI android! They called them "hybrids", so what, part alien or not, they're still NOT something that would exists in nature, naturally evolved in some planet, not aliens. I know, the company wanted to weaponize them, but they didn't make them, and I guess there should be yet another movie explaining how weyland-yutani found out about the "things" (not aliens) and ends up sending ships out to get them. An AI (android, robot, computer, whatever, going crazy and wanting to wipe out humans? that's not a twist, that's a cliche. Oh, and since this is a prequel, it seems David failed, humankind kept going.

Last edited by ukimalefu on Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:46 pm.

DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
The dearth of creativity in Hollywood these days is shameful.
TOS
ukimalefu posted:
Metacell posted:
dv posted:
obvs posted:
dv posted:

OK, FINE, HERE'S THE THING: ***SPOILER ALERT***

THIS CHANGES THE WHOLE ALIENS FRANCHISE
The aliens in the Aliens franchise are not aliens! they're made! genetically engineered by an insane sentient AI android! They called them "hybrids", so what, part alien or not, they're still NOT something that would exists in nature, naturally evolved in some planet, not aliens. I know, the company wanted to weaponize them, but they didn't make them, and I guess there should be yet another movie explaining how weyland-yutani found out about the "things" (not aliens) and ends up sending ships out to get them. An AI (android, robot, computer, whatever, going crazy and wanting to wipe out humans? that's not a twist, that's a cliche. Oh, and since this is a prequel, it seems David failed, humankind kept going.

yeah it's the alien equivalent of medichlorians, completely idiotic
Bright Lights, Big City (1988) Michael J Fox, Kiefer Sutherland, Jason Robards, Frances Sternhagen, Swoosie Kurtz, Dianne Weist, Phoebe Cates.

Doesn't say much of anything but worth a look for the 80s style.

Spoiler: the Coma Baby Lives!
dv posted:
obvs posted:
dv posted:

There's not always a twist. Very often what happens in a movie is pretty much predictable based on its progression.
dv
obvs posted:
dv posted:
obvs posted:
dv posted:

There's not always a twist. Very often what happens in a movie is pretty much predictable based on its progression.

Yes. Including the twist.
obvs posted:
dv posted:
obvs posted:
dv posted:

You should watch more than just romcom movies ;) :p
dv posted:
obvs posted:
dv posted:
obvs posted:
dv posted:

Yes. Including the twist.
If it's predictable it's not a twist.
Oh come on....it's just a badly sold twist. Like when a joke fails because the punchline becomes obvious in advance. But you know the writers were still thinking it would be shocking. Audiences have seen so many twists they've come to know what to expect unless its something completely different.
The fabulous Baker Boys (1989) Beau Bridges, Jeff Bridges, Michelle Pfeiffer and music by Dave Grusin. About as good as it gets.

The Aviator (2004) Leonardo DiCaprio, Kate Blanchett, Kate Beckinsale, Alec Baldwin, John C. Reilly, Alan Alda, directed by Scorese. Pretty good, too.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159 ... 195