dv
TOS posted:
never understood the adoration of unbreakable

https://youtu.be/BN4x4apRrpY?t=87

That.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
The Good Dinosaur
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Wonder Woman. A bit on the long side, but mostly awesome. I think I liked the first half with the Amazons more than the second half with the Nazis...the scenery was prettier.
user Stupid cockwomble
wernt talkin about the trees....
Moana (2016) The same basic plot of all these animated features; young rebel goes off against the wishes of the rest of family or society and does good. I liked this one. Well cast, and that makes a difference.

Doctor Strange (2016) I like Tilda. I like the folding and shifting buildings. That's about it.
TOS
the mummy

holy moly was it crap

but like bizarre crap, as though it followed some plot that i couldn't quite perceive

what's his name was actually pretty good but the whole thing was like a two-hour trailer
Donkey Butter jerk face
Spider-Man Homecoming

It was a Spider-Man movie so naturally I liked it. however (stop reading now if you don't want spoilers, I don't know how to do those mask your text thing so just stop reading this) there was too much involvement from Iron Man, (yes I know Spidey is being brought into the marvel movies now, but I just didn't like that part of it.) But Parker is supposed to be a self made man, not relying on some billionaire to help him along the way. It just felt like they strayed a bit from the comics and cartoons. I mean MJ wasn't even called Mary Jane, they named her Michelle or something.

I did like Tom Holland though. Thought he did a good job of it.
jkahless Custom Title
Donkey Butter posted:
Spider-Man Homecoming

It was a Spider-Man movie so naturally I liked it. however (stop reading now if you don't want spoilers, I don't know how to do those mask your text thing so just stop reading this) there was too much involvement from Iron Man, (yes I know Spidey is being brought into the marvel movies now, but I just didn't like that part of it.) But Parker is supposed to be a self made man, not relying on some billionaire to help him along the way.It just felt like they strayed a bit from the comics and cartoons. I mean MJ wasn't even called Mary Jane, they named her Michelle or something.

I haven't seen it, but that hidden bit does seem to be internally consistent with what happened in civil war. That sort of thing would naturally follow.
Yori Program
Re-watched Léon on Blu-ray last night. Gary Oldman is so wonderfully OTT as the bad guy in that film. :D
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Yori posted:
Re-watched Léon on Blu-ray last night. Gary Oldman is so wonderfully OTT as the bad guy in that film. :D

He is so wonderfully Gary Oldman

user Stupid cockwomble
Just saw it too. Fun seeing a preteen Portman pretending to be Madonna.
dv
King Kong: Skull Island and Logan.

Both were pretty okay, as expected.
Yori Program
ukimalefu posted:
Yori posted:

He is so wonderfully Gary Oldman

"I haven't got time for this Mickey mouse blatherskite!"
Donkey Butter jerk face
jkahless posted:
Donkey Butter posted:
Spider-Man Homecoming

It was a Spider-Man movie so naturally I liked it. however (stop reading now if you don't want spoilers, I don't know how to do those mask your text thing so just stop reading this) there was too much involvement from Iron Man, (yes I know Spidey is being brought into the marvel movies now, but I just didn't like that part of it.) But Parker is supposed to be a self made man, not relying on some billionaire to help him along the way.It just felt like they strayed a bit from the comics and cartoons. I mean MJ wasn't even called Mary Jane, they named her Michelle or something.

I haven't seen it, but that hidden bit does seem to be internally consistent with what happened in civil war. That sort of thing would naturally follow.

The tie into Civil War was done pretty well. I’m just not an Iron Man fan so I prefer him to not be in my Spiderman movies. ;)
They must be getting ready for Secret Wars (the 80's one I'm talking about) because "Spider Man joins The Avengers" was a one issue joke.
Ramayana - The Epic This is a fun, fast paced cg animated movie for kids, but it's as least as entertaining as Ralph Bakshi's Lord of the Rings. Observations: The story of Rama is basically the Robin Hood Myth on the Middle Earth scale, With Rama, Sita, and the Rakshasa King Ravana being the prototypes for Robin, Maid Marion, and The Sheriff of Nottingham, respectively. But the best is that Little John is the part of Hanuman the Monkey God, who definitely is the funnest character in the story. Elements of Star Wars, King Arthur, and Arabian Nights can all be seen in Ramayana. Entertaining.

Kong: Skull Island.
Dumb, silly, nonsense. I guess it's ok if you turn off your brain. It feels like a throwback to silly 70's and 80's video store adventure stories...like 70's Kong actually...replete with ludicrous dialogue and unbelievable character behavior. Worth a laugh.
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (2016).

TL;DR: not without some problems (mostly due to inherent complications with time travel), but a mostly pleasant--but not entirely so--tale. Despite the presence of some "peculiar children" as young as about 6, this is NOT a young children's movie so pay attention its PG-13 rating. I have NOT read the novel that this movie is based upon, and after watching I'm not necessarily inclined to pick up the now-three novel series (with the next book set to be released in fall 2017), although I might perhaps when my to-be-read bookshelf gets a bit shallower.

Jake (Asa Butterfield) is a loner teenager living in Florida who worships his emotionally-distant grandfather Abe (Terence Stamp). Part of that distance was that Abe was a young man in Britain during WWII. Although Abe had hardly talked to his own son Franklin (Chris O'Dowd) about wartime, he had told Jake about some of his experiences back then which led to parent-son conflicts to the point where Jake had been seeing a psychiatrist, Dr. Golan (Allison Janney).

One early evening after a session with Dr. Golan, Jake rides his bicycle to Abe's house in part to protest Dr. Golan's suggestion to distance himself from Abe's tales. There Jake discovers that homebody Abe had uncharacteristically left his house, leaving a back sliding-glass door open. Upon hearing noises coming out of the woods behind Abe's house, Jake goes out to investigate only to discover Abe's still warm dying body. He uses his dying breath to ask for forgiveness in not being able to protect Jake. Even worse, Abe's body was missing his eyes which the local sheriff's department later explains as probably due to some small carnivore "going for the soft parts".

While cleaning up Abe's house, Jake's family discovers that Abe had left a number of papers which points the family to a small island in the Irish Sea off of Blackpool (BTW: there is no such island). As an act to help reconcile father with son, Franklin proposes that he and Jake should go visit that island to learn more about Abe. THERE and THEN Jake's real adventure begins.

----

Part of the problem with time travel in this movie is that there isn't necessarily anything obvious with at least some peculiar children. While there are some with clearly dangerous problems such as the twins whose faces are such that they spent most of the movie with their heads inside bags with a loose enough weave that they can see out of them AND which explain why they were abandoned to such homes, Abe and Jake (and Franklin?) are such that their peculiarities were not at all obvious unless they happened to pass through the relatively small portals which allowed them to travel through time. Presumably there are at least a few people in the general population who are not physically distinguished like Abe and Jake who could find themselves accidentally transported in time and lack the knowledge of reversing that action to be transported back. Maybe this could explain some missing persons and some mystery appearances?

EDIT: I happened across that scene while channel-surfing and made corrections in bold.

Last edited by DEyncourt on Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:40 am.

dv
DEyncourt posted:
(BTW: there is no such island).

::Insert Obligatory "That's what they WANT you to think!" here::
The Librarian movies (2004-2008) Noah Wyle, Bob Newhart. Cheap family-friendly action adventure stories about a librarian of ancient artifacts who goes on adventures. A bit of fun. I like that it's not trying too hard to explain and excuse all the plot holes. Mostly for kids.
Ribtor posted:
The Librarian movies (2004-2008) Noah Wyle, Bob Newhart. Cheap family-friendly action adventure stories about a librarian of ancient artifacts who goes on adventures. A bit of fun. I like that it's not trying too hard to explain and excuse all the plot holes. Mostly for kids.

movies? plural? I never saw those. I like the tv show.
Ribtor posted:

My wife is a librarian. She loves these movies and the TV show.
user Stupid cockwomble
ukimalefu posted:
Ribtor posted:

movies? plural? I never saw those. I like the tv show.

It's a TNT property and pretty much all that Noah's done, apparently....he's even in the TV show.
Logan (2017) Never say never, Hugh.
Dafne Keen's stunt double deserves an Oscar. Convincingly done by everyone, in fact.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I finally watched Passengers, going in knowing half the people i knew liked it, and half hated it. There didn't seem to be an in between. I personally liked it, and would love if they could come up with some sort of sequel, or even a SyFy series.
user Stupid cockwomble
X-Men: Apocalypse

Sophie Turner as a young Jean Grey...... Image
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

Very entertaining movie.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Nut Job 2

Don't. Not even for the grandchildren.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Rogue One. My second viewing. I still don't love it like all the fan boys do, and here's why: it's no fun. It's a war movie with lasers instead of guns.

I still give it a B-.
Pithecanthropus posted:
Rogue One. My second viewing. I still don't love it like all the fan boys do, and here's why: it's no fun. It's a war movie with lasers instead of guns.

I still give it a B-.

It's a Star WARS movie. "A war movie with lasers instead of guns", indeed.

I liked it MORE on the second viewing.

Now I want a Chirrut movie.

:p
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I, too saw Rogue One last weekend. I hadn't realized it had made it to Netflix until one of the boys found it.
I liked it, though I too found it to be quite "dark and gritty"; especially the way all the heroes die in the end.
DukeofNuke posted:
I, too saw Rogue One last weekend. I hadn't realized it had made it to Netflix until one of the boys found it.
I liked it, though I too found it to be quite "dark and gritty"; especially the way all the heroes die in the end.

Well, don't forget they KILLED OBI WAN IN THE FIRST MOVIE!

(please note: I used the spoiler tag BECAUSE I WANTED TOO AND BECAUSE I CAN :p )

arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
DukeofNuke posted:

I look at it this way, it explains why none of them were in the original movie.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
arkayn posted:
DukeofNuke posted:

I look at it this way, it explains why none of them were in the original movie.

makes sense
If future Star Wars films explain-away plot with alternate universes like Star Trek, will fans rebel?
dv
Ribtor posted:
If future Star Wars films explain-away plot with alternate universes like Star Trek, will fans rebel?

Yeah, but they'll watch the movie and buy the merch anyway.
TOS
apparently the alternate star trek universe is dead, so perhaps that will be an inducement not to go the same route

anyway disney dumped a heap of books, comics and more from the canon so i doubt they'd bother retconning everything
At least alternate universes and crossing between them already was a part of the original series.
Dark Tower

This was going to be a trouble laden movie whether they followed the book to the letter or loosely adapted it. As it is, they did both, following the series as a whole more to letter, but not following just the first book exactly. In a way, it has the benefit of hindsight, knowing how all the elements of the story fit together by the end (which I don't imagine King knew while he was writing them). This robs the universe of some of its mystery, as many things are spelled out very clearly for the audience which have a more slow reveal in the books. Most of that probably wouldn't bother you if you hadn't read the book. It's self contained like the first book and for the most part I enjoyed it. Idris was great in the part and the stunt sequences were very satisfying if a little old fashioned. Many sequences were lifted verbatim from the book, only the last half diverges (although the perspectives and orders of narration have changed from the book).

I'd say, not necessary to watch in theater, though there is excellent exotic Western scenery and decent cinematography, but I'll definitely be watching the miniseries.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
ukimalefu posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:

I still give it a B-.

It's a Star WARS movie. "A war movie with lasers instead of guns", indeed.

I liked it MORE on the second viewing.

Now I want a Chirrut movie.

:p

My point is that the first movie was made as an homage to the movie serials of the 1930s, and it had that campy fun edge running through it. Rogue One looks like it was made as an homage to Full Metal Jacket or Saving Private Ryan. Too much visceral violence, not enough campy fun.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158 ... 195