What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157 ... 195
Online now: Google [Bot], Metacell
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Metacell posted:
Quite grim and nasty, and almost ruined by some moron uncouth individual parents who chose to bring their toddler to see THIS film. Fortunately, it was somewhat amusing watching them forced to take out their screaming baby from the carnage of screaming exploding bodies. Anyway, I got what I paid for, but I am actually a bit disappointed 3D was abandoned for this film as its a depth-filled cinescape worthy of the Avatar treatment, and the 3D in Prometheus was top-notch.

What kind of a dipshit takes a baby to a film like that? :roll:
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
I see it happen remarkably often.
Irrational Man (2015) Joaquin Phoenix, Emma Stone, Parker Posey. A simple story well told.

Phoenix is a depressed and suicidal philosophy professor who gets a new chance at a happy life by murdering a "bad" man.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Arrival. Probably one of the best science fiction movies I've seen in years. Amazing story, well told, well acted, and SUPER thought provoking. *****
Metacell posted:
Alien: Covenant.
[snip]

The REAL question is:

When you hear
Almost heaven, West Virginia
does your heart fill with terror?

I haven't seen the movie yet, but when I saw those TV ads for Alien: Covenant I did the same thing as Stephen Colbert: I smiled with nostalgia upon hearing John Denver singing his familiar lyrics, then became horrified at the idea of associating them with the Alien franchise.

THEN grinned at the marketing audacity.
user Stupid cockwomble
the radio reminds me of my home far away

It's "Take Me Home, Country Roads".
A bunch of old tunes worked wonders for Guardians Of The Galaxy, so we'll be seeing that sort of thing in a lot of movies for a while.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Logan.

Really really good.
Snowden (2016) Oliver Stone lays it on thick. Worth watching though.
TOS
DEyncourt posted:
Metacell posted:
Alien: Covenant.
[snip]

The REAL question is:

When you hear
Almost heaven, West Virginia
does your heart fill with terror?

I haven't seen the movie yet, but when I saw those TV ads for Alien: Covenant I did the same thing as Stephen Colbert: I smiled with nostalgia upon hearing John Denver singing his familiar lyrics, then became horrified at the idea of associating them with the Alien franchise.

THEN grinned at the marketing audacity.

everyone i know who's seen it absolutely hated it

after i saw guardians of the galaxy 2 there were people leaving the alien covenant theatre so i asked them how it was and they all began ranting about what a piece of crap it was
Yeah, people hated Prometheus too. Probably my favorite movie from the past five years.

Here's what I'll say is bad about it: It should have been two movies, or three hours long. The part of David, Liz Shaw, and arriving on the Engineers' homeworld is shown in brief flashbacks which are the most interesting part of the movie...compared to the colonists involvement, which is just copying the same "people land on planet, get eaten by aliens" formula. My guess is Ridley Scott caved-in to all the whining simps who didn't like Prometheus because it wasn't the same as Aliens/3/4 and actually had a better story to tell.

One complaint I hear monkeyed is that the colonists were stupid and did stupid things. Well yes, because they weren't scientists or colonial marines and had no reason to think the universe was about to eat them alive. Like in the first Alien, they were ordinary working class shmoes in space, in a horror movie. That they acted optimistically and then panicked when human waste went south didn't bother me in the slightest. It was fun.

I will say I think Prometheus was the better movie because it had a more original vision that this should have stuck with.
TOS
i think ridley scott should retire, seems to me he just doesn't give a crap anymore
Vulture 420
Passengers. Fun for the first half, predictable by the middle, schlocky by the last act, and the very end felt like everyone died before the movie was completed so they had to slap a rushed CGI job and cheesy pop song onto the credits. Still ok to watch, not a waste of time.
TOS posted:
i think ridley scott should retire, seems to me he just doesn't give a crap anymore

I don't think so. I still enjoyed the movie. It was still better than Alien 3, 4, Predator 1, 2, and S, AVP 1+2, the Star Wars prequels, and 90% of wannabe space horror movies. It's still a well directed beautifully shot suspense movie in a higher class than say SAW part N or anything by Wes Craven. I would suggest that its not a feel-good crowd pleaser.

Even 2010's Robin Hood was not really a complete failure so much as an experiment gone awry, and this was quite superior in delivering its premise.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Split

:up:

Good, very good.
Vulture 420
Pithecanthropus posted:
Arrival. Probably one of the best science fiction movies I've seen in years. Amazing story, well told, well acted, and SUPER thought provoking. *****

After some time has passed, watch it again high and see what happens.
Underworld: Blood Wars

Sword fights

gun fights

monster fights

bad cgi, but not too much of it

Kate Beckinsale in tight leather

If you have liked the series you should watch it

and there could be more of these movies
ukimalefu posted:
Kate Beckinsale in tight leather

You sold me!
TOS
Metacell posted:
TOS posted:

I don't think so. I still enjoyed the movie. It was still better than Alien 3, 4, Predator 1, 2, and S, AVP 1+2, the Star Wars prequels, and 90% of wannabe space horror movies. It's still a well directed beautifully shot suspense movie in a higher class than say SAW part N or anything by Wes Craven. I would suggest that its not a feel-good crowd pleaser.

Even 2010's Robin Hood was not really a complete failure so much as an experiment gone awry, and this was quite superior in delivering its premise.

i'm quite impressed by the level of wrongness you have achieved
I'm glad not to slot in with the memies. Of course, I did actually watch the movie before everyone told me what to think about it...and I was exaggerating a little. Revenge of the Sith is better. Everyone also piled onto Prometheus as being the worst piece of crap ever. I found it classically entertaining. I'm just not one to follow the crowd.
TOS
aw, i'm just yankin' your salami

i do disagree with you for sure, but it's just opinions of a movie or two
Have you SEEN the e***N movie? Where do you disagree with me? Robin Hood? It was laughable to see so many middle-aged heroes in the Middle Ages, but otherwise it was a finely focused, enjoyable bit of schlock.

I think Ridley Scott's been artistically lionized as some sort of savant of intellectualism because he chooses good scripts to work with, and a lot of that is down to Blade Runner (a movie I've still never seriously enjoyed...tell me which cut to watch). The reality is he gets chosen for these projects because he is a master commercial director, who makes everything appear sumptuous/beautiful/gritty/barbaric and he knows how to do every single shot for dramatic effectiveness. A movie I think best reflects him is his debut, The Duelists. It's a lush period piece. The story waivers between mensch artistry and hackneyed cliches. But it's fun to watch. Cameron isn't that different, 'cept less intellectual and more crowd pleasing.
TOS
yeah several movies (not jut blade runner) plus the apple commercial gave people the idea that scott is an auteur but he's just not ... he's extremely skilled at the craft of filmmaking, no doubt about that, but it's just a job for him

studios love him because he never resists their demands; he just shrugs, doesn't care
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Metacell posted:
Yeah, people hated Prometheus too. Probably my favorite movie from the past five years.

Here's what I'll say is bad about it: It should have been two movies, or three hours long. The part of David, Liz Shaw, and arriving on the Engineers' homeworld is shown in brief flashbacks which are the most interesting part of the movie...compared to the colonists involvement, which is just copying the same "people land on planet, get eaten by aliens" formula. My guess is Ridley Scott caved-in to all the whining simps who didn't like Prometheus because it wasn't the same as Aliens/3/4 and actually had a better story to tell.

One complaint I hear monkeyed is that the colonists were stupid and did stupid things. Well yes, because they weren't scientists or colonial marines and had no reason to think the universe was about to eat them alive. Like in the first Alien, they were ordinary working class shmoes in space, in a horror movie. That they acted optimistically and then panicked when human waste went south didn't bother me in the slightest. It was fun.

I will say I think Prometheus was the better movie because it had a more original vision that this should have stuck with.

I was extremely disappointed with Prometheus. The whole "regular Joe" thing made no sense in the context of a very speculative scientific mission to find the creators.
The flagrant disregard for any safety protocols at all made no sense against the stories history of encountering the xenomorphs.
Altho, to be fair, the script was so heinously bad I doubt anyone could have made anything good out of it.
Pariah posted:
Metacell posted:

I was extremely disappointed with Prometheus. The whole "regular Joe" thing made no sense in the context of a very speculative scientific mission to find the creators.
The flagrant disregard for any safety protocols at all made no sense against the stories history of encountering the xenomorphs.
Altho, to be fair, the script was so heinously bad I doubt anyone could have made anything good out of it.

It was a corporate sponsored mission, it takes place before any of the other movies...
Wasn't one of the team members in Prometheus an obvious psychotic?

The Beatles: Eight Days a Week – The Touring Years (2016) Ron Howard documentary on the Beatles touring years in the mid 60s. Highly recommended.
Ribtor posted:

The Beatles: Eight Days a Week – The Touring Years (2016) Ron Howard documentary on the Beatles touring years in the mid 60s. Highly recommended.

Interesting film. I can't imagine what it would be like, you're 20-something, and your life is a hotel, a limo, an airplane, and a concert where you can't hear human waste onstage -- every stick fiddling day. Quitting touring saved the Beatles for at least a few years, and certainly improved their music.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Pithecanthropus posted:
Ribtor posted:

Interesting film. I can't imagine what it would be like, you're 20-something, and your life is a hotel, a limo, an airplane, and a concert where you can't hear human waste onstage -- every stick fiddling day. Quitting touring saved the Beatles for at least a few years, and certainly improved their music.

Kind of astounding that they managed to crank out 7 LPs of pretty damned quality stuff, plus singles and film two movies in about 3½ years --WHILE also doing all the touring and TV appearances. Unbelievable.
The Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind (2004) Great storytelling; great Gondry. "The Discovery" seems to me to borrow from it.

Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me (1993) Deeply flawed movie. Should have been cut back and presented as a TV episode.

Resident Evil (2002) Kept my interest. I hope the movie series doesn't get too terrible.
user Stupid cockwomble
Wasn't Fire Walk just a converted final TV episode?
user posted:
Wasn't Fire Walk just a converted final TV episode?

I think it was purposely made as a full feature theatrical film. I think it was actually booed at Cannes.
John Wick 2 (2016) I fell asleep half way through. It got lots of positive reviews but i don't see it.
TOS
Ribtor posted:
Resident Evil (2002) Kept my interest. I hope the movie series doesn't get too terrible.

lol
jkahless Custom Title
Doctor Strange. Better than i expected, and Cumberbatch somehow pulls off the cape. They missed a golden opportunity not having him appear on Baker Street when he went to London.
Resident Evil - The Final Chapter

The question is, how much more over the top can they make these movies?

And the answer is none, none more over the top.

But I believe they'll try, never mind "final chapter" being the name of this one.
TOS
ukimalefu posted:
Resident Evil - The Final Chapter

The question is, how much more over the top can they make these movies?

And the answer is none, none more over the top.

But I believe they'll try, never mind "final chapter" being the name of this one.

well you know they're already talking reboot, right?
TOS
ghost in the shell

not too bad, they even explained why she was white

still just a shadow of the original, though
-Unbreakable

Best superhero movie EVER

-Star Wars Ep VII

Now I've seen it in the theater, as a digital download, and on tv.
Captain Fantastic (2016) Viggo Mortensen is a father of six kids who live as survivalists in the woods forced to return to society to deal with the wife's funeral. Not bad.
TOS
never understood the adoration of unbreakable
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157 ... 195