What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156 ... 196
Online now: Bing (sucks), Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], Pariah
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Also saw the Lost City of Z. It was good, albeit somewhat shallow in the motivations and development of the main characters.
dv
Since my last post, have seen Rogue One (finally), Fantastic Beasts, The Imitation Game, and Jackie.

The last two were better films than the first two. None were bad.
All the Die Hard movies.

I missed the "yippe-ki-yay" in the last one (2013). Did he even say it?
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Battle : Los Angeles

Whew! That was exhausting.
user Stupid cockwomble
DukeofNuke posted:
Battle : Los Angeles

Whew! That was exhausting.

I think the lead guy is British IRL.
The Martian on 4k BluRay.

I am not sure I will buy any more 4k BRs. Everything was just so sharp and clear that it looked terrible, if that makes any sense. I am getting my 4k pvr on nstalled wednesday, so I will try that and see if it looks any l as jarring.
user Stupid cockwomble
I can't see the difference between DVDs and regular Blu-Rays on my TV.

It's a keeper.
You have a tube TV too?
user Stupid cockwomble
Cheap 32" LCD. All I need.

I am however stuck with a 32" CRT as well.
TOS
Warin posted:
The Martian on 4k BluRay.

I am not sure I will buy any more 4k BRs. Everything was just so sharp and clear that it looked terrible, if that makes any sense. I am getting my 4k pvr on nstalled wednesday, so I will try that and see if it looks any l as jarring.

that's the problem with hd in general, i find ... i dislike seeing facial surgery scars and made-over acne and whatnot
user Stupid cockwomble
and stick fiddling freckles

ewwww

I noticed that smooth skin tone is not a factor in Lucifer. Even Tricia Helfer (stupid hot body!) looks like she took a tenderizing mallet to her chest.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Jack Reacher: Never go back

Good, but not as much as the first one.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Victor Frankenstein (2015)
Pretty good; better than I expected it to be.
The monster looks like Boris Karloff.
macnuke Afar
John Wick 2
impressive body count.
user Stupid cockwomble
DukeofNuke posted:
Victor Frankenstein (2015)
Pretty good; better than I expected it to be.
The monster looks like Boris Karloff.

That cork soaker!
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
i don't get it
macnuke Afar
there's a thread for that duke
user Stupid cockwomble
DukeofNuke posted:
i don't get it

Supposedly Bella Lugosi's favorite apellation for Boris, who he considered an upstager.

Quote:
[Impersonating Bela Lugosi]
Dr. Tom Mason: I want to suck your blood. I want to suck your blood!
Bunny Breckinridge: Let's hear you call Boris Karloff a cork soaker.

DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
user posted:
DukeofNuke posted:
i don't get it

Supposedly Bella Lugosi's favorite apellation for Boris, who he considered an upstager.

Quote:
[Impersonating Bela Lugosi]
Dr. Tom Mason: I want to suck your blood. I want to suck your blood!
Bunny Breckinridge: Let's hear you call Boris Karloff a cork soaker.

:lol:
great lines!
user Stupid cockwomble
Delivered brilliantly by Bill Murray.
Another Woman (1988) Gena Rowlands is a middle aged woman coming to grips with her regrets. For a Woody Allen drama it's watchable because of her performance. It may be the best of that particular Woody Allen sub-genre. Worth a look.
The Discovery

The existence of an afterlife is scientifically proven.

I liked it.
La fille de d'Artagnan (1994) Sophie Marceau, Philippe Noiret. Good swashbuckling fun. Sophie does her own fencing and she's very credible.
user Stupid cockwomble
Sophie got much cash for the hot goods?
Colossal

A down on her luck drunk founds out she controls a monster that's stomping Seoul.

The trailers made it look like a sci-fi comedy, but there's some drama here too. Anne Hathaway is adorable as ever and Jason Sudeikis makes an interesting turn as the antagonist. It's a nice diversion, however if you need everything explained in a movie then don't bother.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
ukimalefu posted:
Moana

:up:

I've seen the first half twice. I need to see the second half. :D
Les Triplettes de Belleville (2003) So good. So French.

Minions (2015) Good fun. Also appears to be influenced by the French style of humour.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Kingsmen
This is another comic book/graphic novel adaptation, right?
(you can kinda tell ...)

Last edited by DukeofNuke on Mon May 15, 2017 6:59 pm.

TOS
DukeofNuke posted:
Kingsmen

yeah i believe so
user Stupid cockwomble
Ribtor posted:
Les Triplettes de Belleville (2003) So good. So French.

Minions (2015) Good fun. Also appears to be influenced by the French style of humour.

In Triplettes you can see the odd floating style of French animation - it's especially noticeable in the car chase scene. I first saw it in the video game "13".

Half the animators for Despicable Me were French. The minions are actually speaking "French" "words".
Vulture 420
Watched Arrival again over the weekend with people who hadn't seen it before. This time I knew what was coming so I took a hit before watching, and holy cow the movie got waaaaay deeper and I saw even further into what I can only imagine was intended to challenge your perception of time and how it relates to the main plot point of communicating with alien beings who have a different framework of language. Even the very end of the movie opened up something I had not seen before that relates directly to these concepts, it's almost as if I had been not paying attention the first time I saw it.
j_tso posted:
Colossal

A down on her luck drunk founds out she controls a monster that's stomping Seoul.

The trailers made it look like a sci-fi comedy, but there's some drama here too. Anne Hathaway is adorable as ever and Jason Sudeikis makes an interesting turn as the antagonist. It's a nice diversion, however if you need everything explained in a movie then don't bother.

Just watched it. Nice. A movie Nicholas Roeg might have made in the 80s or Michel Gondry in the 90s.

The last line in the film, and the look on her face just as the screen went blank, was perfect.
DukeofNuke posted:
Kingsmen
(you can kinda tell ...)

The burning question though is would you do it in her uncouth individual?
juice Inadvertently correct
If its burning you may want to have her get that checked. Or cut down on the spicy foods.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Farmerkev posted:
DukeofNuke posted:
Kingsmen
(you can kinda tell ...)

The burning question though is would you do it in her uncouth individual?

A Gentleman always does his utmost to accommodate a young lady's request!
jkahless Custom Title
Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Oh yeah! Good ensemble film, didn't get overly convoluted, and the soundtrack was at least as good as the first one, which is saying something. Plus, father/sprog stuff always punches me in the heart in a good way. I enjoyed the vibe, which was pretty chill, even in the heat of the action. No more shaky cam action, which is a relief. If I could say anything bad about it, it was almost too funny at times, but I think that was intentional to be awkward. 10/10 would bang.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Alien: Covenant. A sadistic, teeth-clenching affair...one of the first in a long while to have me nervously entering and exiting elevators. As a Ridley Scott pic, fair guarantee that all the shots in the movie are stunningly framed, I'll say it's basically the same Alien formula again, with just Michael Fassbender's character making it interesting. He's so likable that it's kind of a let down that he's become a complete psychotic villain. Suitably epic, although the Engineer's homeworld feels just a little glossed over...yet in fitting "just desserts" kind of way...still, feels like this was rushed to get more xenomorph blood and guts into the film. If Prometheus was Scott's attempt to combine Alien and 2001, then this is Alien meets Apocalypse Now (What's next, A Clockwork Alien?). It possesses the suspense of which the stark lack of ruined the otherwise gorgeous Alien Resurrection. Quite grim and nasty, and almost ruined by some moron uncouth individual parents who chose to bring their toddler to see THIS film. Fortunately, it was somewhat amusing watching them forced to take out their screaming baby from the carnage of screaming exploding bodies. Anyway, I got what I paid for, but I am actually a bit disappointed 3D was abandoned for this film as its a depth-filled cinescape worthy of the Avatar treatment, and the 3D in Prometheus was top-notch.

I also will give kudos for cleverly bringing life to one of H.R. Giger's greatest of all art series, Li, based on Li Tobler, Giger's lover who shot herself at age 27. It's a short and subtle scene, but I'm certain quite deliberate.

Last edited by Metacell on Sun May 21, 2017 6:37 am.

dv
Saw Guardians 2. Agree with what jkahless said.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156 ... 196