Online now: Google [Bot], Mr. T, ukimalefu
justine Elitist Beer Lover
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
justine posted:
Goonies

are good enough
TOS
It came on network tv. I love the The Goonies, even with commercials. Heh.
Yentl (1983) Barbra Streisand, Mandy Patinkin and Amy Irving. Nice.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
DukeofNuke posted:

Given that Hollywood seems totally out of ideas I look forward to a My Mother The Car movie.
The beginning: Hot older MILF type gets hit by lighting texting in her convertible, this causes her consciousness to be transferred to the cars electronics and kills her human body.
Her baffled son comes to terms with his mother's new position, hijinks and shenanigans follow.
Pariah posted:
DukeofNuke posted:

Given that Hollywood seems totally out of ideas I look forward to a My Mother The Car movie.
The beginning: Hot older MILF type gets hit by lighting texting in her convertible, this causes her consciousness to be transferred to the cars electronics and kills her human body.
Her baffled son comes to terms with his mother's new position, hijinks and shenanigans follow.

Wait...you think that in Hollywood they are going to bother updating the background story like that?
dv
DEyncourt posted:
Pariah posted:
DukeofNuke posted:

Wait...you think that in Hollywood they are going to bother updating the background story like that?

...of course?
Pariah Know Your Enemy
DEyncourt posted:
Pariah posted:
DukeofNuke posted:

I am honestly surprised they have not made a My Favorite Martian movie, rebooted into the 21st century.
TOS
user Stupid cockwomble
only if we can party
Donkey Butter jerk face
I watched Tron (the original) last night for the first time. Other than knowing there were motorcycles and frisbees in the movie I knew nothing about it.

Now having watched it my only comment is "What a stupid show that was"

maybe if I would have watched it in the 80's I'd have a different opinion.
user Stupid cockwomble
yes

and that's a big door
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Tron was actually prophetic in predicting the Microsoft monopoly wars and internet privacy/public ownership disputes that were coming. Something the sequel kind of missed out on with it's private network landscape.

And if you want a fair comparison with 80's fantasy, watch Krull next.
user Stupid cockwomble
The sequel was pretty much just about making the original graphics look way cooler. And racing.
Yori Program
Donkey Butter posted:
I watched Tron (the original) last night for the first time. Other than knowing there were motorcycles and frisbees in the movie I knew nothing about it.

Now having watched it my only comment is "What a stupid show that was"

maybe if I would have watched it in the 80's I'd have a different opinion.

How very dare you! :P
TOS
Donkey Butter jerk face
I did think the concept was quite interesting but the execution was not awesome (in my opinion)

I really think I needed to watch it back in the 80's when I was a kid.

I'll see if i can find "Krull" as Matacell suggested to compare with "Tron"
user Stupid cockwomble
I was 30 before I saw it. Still knocked me out.
TOS
i saw it like ten times in the theatre when it came out
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Tron was a visually amazing movie for the day (especially in the day), but as a movie it really wasn't that great. I remember thinking then, as a kid, that it was a bit lame, but still cool because of how high-tech it was. The Lawnmower Man was another example of this.
maurvir posted:
Tron was a visually amazing movie for the day (especially in the day), but as a movie it really wasn't that great. I remember thinking then, as a kid, that it was a bit lame, but still cool because of how high-tech it was. The Lawnmower Man was another example of this.

True.

I suspect that it is only 10 years before the "stupendous" CGI dinos of "Jurrasic Park" will be dismissed by youngsters as "What? Those crummy animations?"
Tron was great, Lawnmower Man was bad (but they should remake it with current CG and now that VR is growing)
Yori Program
A bunch of us took some acid and went to the cinema and watched The Lawnmower Man. It was stick fiddling amazing. :D
Louis C.K. 2017

I'd guess you'd either love or hate Louis C.K. I find his humor more than just crass, but thoughtful and often deep, and always uncomfortably hilarious.
Ant Man

Fairly entertaining, mostly harmless. It's mostly about the stylishly cool 3D effects which you need to watch in Bino on macs (with a suitable SBS or OU movie format). Marvel seriously missed a marketing trick by not opening up the subatomic sequence to introducing the Microverse and Micronauts. (seriously, for crappy toy special effects movies, the Micronauts are 100x more exploitable than wasteful Michael Bay Transformers).
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Gremlins. There was SO much I forgot about that movie.
Lombo Opiofiend
Logan, found it moving and powerful. Watch it !
Wargames (1983) Every grown-up in the movie is basically an idiot. It's as if John Hughes wrote and directed it.
user Stupid cockwomble
how about a nice game of chess?
TOS
Metacell posted:
Louis C.K. 2017

I'd guess you'd either love or hate Louis C.K. I find his humor more than just crass, but thoughtful and often deep, and always uncomfortably hilarious.

his older stuff is awesome, but i thought this new netflix video was pretty lousy ... i think he's lost his touch
Sing. It was cute. :)
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
TOS posted:
Metacell posted:
Louis C.K. 2017

his older stuff is awesome, but i thought this new netflix video was pretty lousy ... i think he's lost his touch
I thought the first few minutes wasn't so good, but the rest of it was hilarious.

I compare that with Dave Chappelle's latest, which I really strongly disliked.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Ribtor posted:
Wargames (1983) Every grown-up in the movie is basically an idiot. It's as if John Hughes wrote and directed it.

Falken wasn't an idiot, he just didn't give a squat. Otherwise, yes - the adults were all morons.
I watched Wargames with my dad in '83. He worked in NORAD a few years before that movie came out.

He enjoyed the ridiculous awfulness of the film and I asked him how realistic it could be.
He told me that reality is not the standard of movie-making or the standard at NORAD. He would not elaborate no matter how often I asked.

The movie did hint at the depths of game theory and scenario modelling that came out of the RAND corporation in the 60s and 70s.

I highly recommend episode 1 of "The Trap" called "fiddlesticks you, buddy", by Adam Curtis, and episode 2 of "Pandora's Box", also by Curtis called "To The Brink Of Eternity". Both of these documentaries cover how game theory shaped the cold war thinking surrounding the use of America's nuclear arsenal.
Vulture 420
obvs posted:
TOS posted:
Metacell posted:
Louis C.K. 2017

I thought the first few minutes wasn't so good, but the rest of it was hilarious.

I compare that with Dave Chappelle's latest, which I really strongly disliked.

I saw Louis CK do that whole act at MSG a few months ago (birthday present tickets third row from the stage), it was hilarious then, still funny now. I actually found the Chappelle stuff even funnier in some way, probably because of his long void and feeling what a mark he made that was left empty when he went missing. The first few minutes of Louis CK did feel like he was phoning it in, there was something odd about it during that whole abortion and taking a human waste thing. What was it about Chappelle you didn't like?
Lombo Opiofiend
Nobody else saw Logan yet ?
DISCUSS ++
user Stupid cockwomble
Saw it in 76.

I ran.
Lombo posted:
Nobody else saw Logan yet ?
DISCUSS ++

TOS and I saw it a few pages back. Really powerful, phenomenal movie. The two best actors in the Marvel landscape really delivering at the top of their game. Definitely not a feel good movie though, but both brutal and moving.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154 ... 195