What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152 ... 195
Online now: DukeofNuke, Google [Bot], j_tso, ukimalefu
Pithecanthropus posted:
Heathers (1988). I'd never seen it before. I'm not sure what the message was supposed to be, and I found the acting to be pretty sub-par for about 90% of the cast. Obviously a cult classic. Also, spooky and disturbing in a post-Columbine world.

The message was nihilism. It was an 80's thing. I loved that movie.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I loved Heathers!
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
justine posted:
I loved Heathers!

I did as well, but alcohol is practically required to fully appreciate that film.
Fiesta (1947) Esther Williams, Ricardo Montalbán, Mary Astor, Cyd Charisse.
Very little swimming. Williams and Montalbán are siblings. She wants to be a bull fighter and he wants to be a composer. Some not very convincing cross dressing by Williams puts her in the ring to reclaim the family honour. The bull fighting scenes were sanitised but are still effective. Filmed in Mexico. Not bad

Star Wars Episode VII The Force Awakens (2015) It was ok. Not a fan of the series or the genre but at least it wasn't as plodding like the older ones.
Summer Stock (1950) Judy Garland, Gene Kelly, Phil Silvers.

A bit weak. Only two memorable song and dance numbers that I saw; Kelly dancing with a squeaky floor board and a newspaper, and Garland's "Get Happy", which was filmed months later after she lost 20 pounds.
user Stupid cockwomble
What? No love for Phil?
I don't find him funny in those movies. he wrecked Judy's tractor which was a plot-point though, so I'll give him that.

It's Always Fair Weather (1955) Gene Kelly, Dan Daily, Michael Kidd, Cyd Charisse.
A dancing musical that has a touch of cynicism running through it. Three GIs agree to meet in ten years believing their friendship can never fade. They learn. The film attacks sentimentality, television and the post WW2 sense of optimism. I liked it.

On The Riviera (1951) Danny Kaye, Gene Tierney, Corinne calvet. Kaye looks like a famous French aviator and a lot of not much ensues. Definitely not his among his better jobs.

A Bear named Winnie (2004) Michael Fassbender. Family-friendly story of the origins of Winnie The Pooh.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Ribtor posted:
...Kaye looks like a famous French aviator and a lot of not much ensues. Definitely not his among his better jobs.

Seems like most of Danny Kaye's movies took that mistaken identity thing and ran with it.
user Stupid cockwomble
I never could stand Silvers.
Deadpool. I also saw bits and pieces of Moana. Gonna have to watch the whole thing. It was pretty good. They both were.
Independence Day Resurgence (2016) I wanted the aliens to win.

Ghostbusters (2016) Good fun. I liked the four actresses.

Money Monster (2016) George Clooney, Julia Roberts, Jack O'Donnell. Directed by Jodie Foster. Clooney is a TV investment show host like Jim Kramer who is taken hostage by a disgruntled investor. Not bad.

Inferno (2016) Tom Hanks, Felicity Jones. Another Dan Brown story milking the success of The Da Vinci Code. Same human waste, different conspiracy.
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension. God, I love that movie.
TOS
Pithecanthropus posted:
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension. God, I love that movie.

oh man, i haven't watched it in ages, i'm gonna have to tee it up tonight
Séamas Honorary Consul General
user posted:
What? No love for Phil?

I can't look at him and not laugh.
user Stupid cockwomble
My primary memory of him was as the uptight uncouth individual in McHale's Navy.
I loved Phil Silvers! But, he wasn't in McHales Navy.
TOS
user posted:
My primary memory of him was as the uptight uncouth individual in McHale's Navy.

my main memory of him was from it's a mad mad mad mad world
user Stupid cockwomble
justine posted:

Oh, human waste, you're right! I've been thinking that one for 30 years or more.
user Stupid cockwomble
Isn't he a TV Dr now?
user posted:
justine posted:

Oh, human waste, you're right! I've been thinking that one for 30 years or more.

:laughs and points: ;)
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Captain America: Civil War -- took me three tries to get through it. The Cannonball Run of superhero movies. Lots of characters, no actual story.

Attack of the Giant Leeches (1959 B/W independent) -- Yeah it's got all the hokum you'd expect, but charming and occasionally quite gory and sadistic in the silliest sort of way. Enriching.

Brain Twisters (1990 straight to video crap) -- This is the type of movie you only find in dirt cheap discount box sets - exactly why I was watching it! To be fair, I knew it was garbage before it started, but I still like to baste in the sewage of these no-name blockblunders occasionally for the preeminent life hunt for original unadulterated Bulldada which cannot be contained within a movie made by sane, competent technicians, but may only be unleashed by truly unappreciated lost maniacs. Sadly, this film mostly delivers boredom...with some truly bad dialogue. The shock ending really resonates though.

Attack of the Giant Leeches wins the crapfest of badfilms.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
-For the love of Spock

A fascinating documentary.
Eddie The Eagle (2016) Taron Egerton, Hugh Jackman. Highly fictionalised account of famed British ski Jumper Eddie Edwards' path to the Calgary winter Olympics. cliché fun.

Last edited by Ribtor on Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:50 pm.

Metacell posted:

Have you seen Night of the Lepus? It's deliciously bad. We watch it every year at Easter.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Jurassic Park
One of the greatest things that ever happened in movies--and in Steven Spielberg's career --was that the mechanical shark in Jaws kept malfunctioning.
If that robotic shark worked, Jaws would be just as ordinary as this movie. It had some good moments but just had all the worst aspects of Spielberg blockbusters.

Superbad
Not superfunny, but funny enough.
Pithecanthropus posted:
Metacell posted:

Have you seen Night of the Lepus? It's deliciously bad. We watch it every year at Easter.

Oh please, it's my favorite Deforest Kelley movie of all time.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
The Secret Life Of Pets

A series of cute scenes and action scenes.

The CG and animation are good, so I hope the people who did that get a job at Pixar.

Pariah Know Your Enemy
Metacell posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:
Metacell posted:

Oh please, it's my favorite Deforest Kelley movie of all time.

Nothing can beat the fantastic, back projected, saber toothed bunny rabbits. Even scaled up to 20ft tall there is no way to make rabbit scary but damn-it if they didn't try their damnedest.

Also...am I the only one who is stuck with an inner pronunciation of Hugh Jackman as Huge Ackman?
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
The Legend of Tarzan (2016)

Even Skarsgård's pecs couldn't save this dog.

The trailers give the impression that this is the tale in the second book, "The Return of Tarzan" where his adventures are set in the Lost City of Opar and he has to battle his nemesis, Nikolas Rokoff, who has kidnapped Jane and their infant son.

Well, there are hints that, that may have at one time been the plan.
... but that got stick fiddled up ...

Last edited by DukeofNuke on Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:30 pm.

The Princess Bride. Such a great movie.

I found out my sister has never seen it. I may have to disown her.
Pithecanthropus posted:
The Princess Bride. Such a great movie.

I found out my sister has never seen it. I may have to disown her.

Well, at least your sister's condition CAN be fixed.

Though disown her if she doesn't like that movie.
user Stupid cockwomble
I've never seen it. Every time I come across it, it's halfway through.
user posted:
I've never seen it. Every time I come across it, it's halfway through.

In a world of on-demand viewing, that is no longer an excuse.
user Stupid cockwomble
I like imagining how good it is.
DukeofNuke posted:
The Legend of Tarzan (2016)

Even Skarsgård's pecs couldn't save this dog.

Oh really? He's the reason i dvr'd it. Haven't watched it, though. Bummer.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Oh, please watch it! I'd love to hear someone else's opinion.

Also, take a drink every time Skarsgard uses his "soulful eyes" look.
Is it worse than the Kevin Costner Robin Hood movie? If so, I might have to watch it.
TOS
DukeofNuke posted:
Oh, please watch it! I'd love to hear someone else's opinion.

Also, take a drink every time Skarsgard uses his "soulful eyes" look.

he's quite terrifying in pretty little lies
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
It's not Skarsgard, or Jackson or Waltz, whose performances are ... adequate ... (well, Jackson could have been a little better ... ) It's the way the movie seems to be put together by a committee. It loses direction. Can't decide what story it's trying to tell.
Should'a been a three hour Peter Jackson spectacular; or at least tried to follow the Marvel formula.
Margot Robbie is the bright spot in all this.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152 ... 195