What was the last movie you saw?

Music and video: analog or digital
Metacell
Title: Chocolate Brahma

Post by Metacell »

Deadpool - highly amusing. The Bad Santa of superhero movies.
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
Pithecanthropus
Title: Roast Master

Post by Pithecanthropus »

Royal Wedding (1951). Fred Astaire dances on the ceiling -- the stick fiddling CEILING!!
set DeusEx.JCDentonMale bCheatsEnabled true
ukimalefu
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway

Post by ukimalefu »

Pithecanthropus wrote: Royal Wedding (1951). Fred Astaire dances on the ceiling -- the stick fiddling CEILING!!

oh what a feeling
Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

Pithecanthropus wrote: Royal Wedding (1951). Fred Astaire dances on the ceiling -- the stick fiddling CEILING!!

Was that from the original movie poster?
Pyke notte thy nostrellys
Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

Apparently.
maurvir
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Post by maurvir »

Seriously, folks, if you are going to photoshop something, at least freaking TRY to make the new content fit in. :squint:
TOS

Post by TOS »

batman v superman

quite like it, actually ... not sure why there was so much hate for it

of course gal godot's wonder woman totally stole the show
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
j_tso

Post by j_tso »

The current generation of man-children have grown up with the DC animated TV shows so anything that deviates from it is horrible.
Pithecanthropus

Ribtor wrote: Apparently.

:lol:
DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

Into the Woods (2014).

Y'know, I tried to like this movie. I really did. But around 40 minutes in I just didn't care. While I saw some nice to even great singing performances, there was simply nothing that was compelling me to continue, not even the overarching story of the baker and his wife "interfering" with the classic fairy tales--though with variations upon their original stories--which is, of course, a tale I still do not know.

I like Sondheim musicals. I watched Sunday in the Park with George with full interest all the way through (though--yikes!--that American Playhouse recording was from 1986? I would have sworn that it was at least a decade later).
TOS

Post by TOS »

ender's game

quite liked it, actually ... thankfully i read the book so long ago that i pretty much forgot it, otherwise i'm sure i'd find plenty of annoying deviations
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

The Osterman Weekend (1983) Rutger Hauer, John Hurt, Craig T Nelson, Dennis Hopper, Chris Sarandon, Meg (dead eyes) Foster, Helen Shaver and Burt Lancaster. Sam Peckinpaw's last movie. Get a load of the size of the laser sights on the rifles.

So bad.
Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

Swordfish (2001) Halle Berry and her tits and her outfits and some other actors I think.
A film about Halle Berry and how hot she was.

The Man From U.N.C.L.E (2015) I gave up about a third the way through.
user
Title: Stupid cockwomble

Post by user »

I saw swordfish on broadcast tv and when she dropped that magazine she had a top on. Made Jackman's startled reaction quite puzzling in context.

Not sure if they had filmed a safe version - I've also seen Animal House on broadcast where they digitally put pants on the professor when he walked into the kitchen.
Aw, he's no fun, he fell right over.

Science is Truth for Life. In FORTRAN tongue the Answer.

...so I'm supposed to find the Shadow King from inside a daiquiri?
maurvir
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Post by maurvir »

Ribtor wrote: Swordfish (2001) Halle Berry and her tits and her outfits and some other actors I think.

So you liked it, then? ;)
DukeofNuke
Title: FREE RADICAL

Post by DukeofNuke »

It is a rare thing for Ribtor to like a movie.
intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

maurvir wrote:
Ribtor wrote: Swordfish (2001) Halle Berry and her tits and her outfits and some other actors I think.

So you liked it, then? ;)

Oh yes. Recommended.
DukeofNuke

Post by DukeofNuke »

I liked the scene where John Travolta is making Hugh Jackman "Try-out" for the team.

Warin

Post by Warin »

I am going to see Captain America: Civil War tomorrow night at 7:25 :D
I'm sorry Dave...
macnuke
Title: PureBleed

Post by macnuke »

DukeofNuke wrote: I liked the scene where John Travolta is making Hugh Jackman "Try-out" for the team.

well she got one blade to pop eh

There are no illegitimate children...only illegitimate parents.

Metacell

Post by Metacell »

The Tingler

1959 William Castle, Vincent Price badfilm gimmick classic. Actually quite well done early shlock entertainment. Good comfort food. Public domain...free to download.

\
DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

Mr. Holmes (2015).

TL;DR: worth your time to watch.

Ian McKellen plays the iconic "consulting detective" though at age 93 (and thus much older than McKellen's current 75) he had survived WWII and is in beekeeping retirement along the coast of East Sussex (there are shots showing the white cliffs of Dover at a sufficiently far distance in the background so he cannot be in Kent). At the start of the movie he is seen returning to England from a trip to Japan where he had the experience of surveying the destruction at Hiroshima.

Through a series of flashbacks in part spurred by Roger (Milo Parker), the young son of his housekeeper, Mrs. Munro (Laura Linney), Holmes is attempting to recount his last case from about 30 years earlier (so just post-WWI) involving a distraught young man concerned about his wife, so this particular case was well (decades?) after Dr. Watson had gotten married and left Holmes. I'll leave the details of that mystery to the movie since it is intergral to the overall plot.

"Attempting" because Holmes' memory is failing him. His main reason for travelling to Japan was to examine and try the supposed memory restorative powers of prickly ash, a tree that grows in Japan (there is an actual species that is found around southeastern Asia including southern Japan though normally its fruit is used in cooking where red peppers may be used, and it is not consumed in a mash made from its leaves as was done in this movie). Even his beekeeping is called in because of supposed similar effects from the royal jelly that bees create in order to produce new queens.

This is a relatively gentle mystery story though not without some twists and some disturbing interludes [spoiler]involving suicide[/spoiler] for which I would have thought this movie deserved a PG-13 rating rather than the PG that it got in the US system. Something of a general understanding of some version of the Holmesian mythos would be helpful but a deep knowledge of such is not at all required.
TOS

Post by TOS »

10 cloverfield lane

pretty good, i guess ... i didn't find it to be as awesome as everyone said
Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

The Judge (2014) Robert Downey and Robert Duvall. Cliche story but Downey and Duvall make it watchable.

Children of Men (2006) Clive Owen, Clare-Hope Ashitey, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Julianne Moore, Michael Caine. Brilliant camera work, great story. Recommended.
Metacell

Post by Metacell »

Yeah, I really liked Children of Men. Very tense and realistic.
Warin

Post by Warin »

Civil War might be the best marvel movie yet!

I think I will see it again this week :)
I'm sorry Dave...
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

A million ways to die in the west

A bad movie, with a high budget and the best cameo ever.
dv

Post by dv »

Finally saw Deadpool.

It definitely lived up to the hype.
Pithecanthropus

We Are Twisted stick fiddling Sister. Holy human waste, did those guys pay a lot of dues before they hit.
Donkey Butter
Title: jerk face

Post by Donkey Butter »

Captain America Civil War.

I wish there was more of Spider-Man in the movie. I thought he did a great job.
justine
Title: Elitist Beer Lover

Post by justine »

Pithecanthropus wrote: We Are Twisted stick fiddling Sister. Holy human waste, did those guys pay a lot of dues before they hit.

I Wanna Rock! :D
"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

007 Spectre

:up:
Robert
Title: Dandy Highwayman

Post by Robert »

Jupiter Rising. Wow this movie sucks.
"Hey, I gotta be me. Don't like it, don't read it." - Schnicky
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2

:up:
Pithecanthropus

The Mark of Zorro (1940). Tyrone Power as Zorro, Basil Rathbone as the evil Captain. Holy human waste, could Rathbone work a sword!
DukeofNuke

Post by DukeofNuke »

Man From UNCLE.
The off-road car chase was kinda fun.

DukeofNuke

Post by DukeofNuke »

Holy human waste, could Rathbone work a sword!

Watch "Captain Blood" with Rathbone and Errol Flynn. Best damn swordfight ever!

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003--really? That long ago?).

I decided to watch despite not getting a reply from jkahless on if and when I should watch this.

It IS a decent movie though I think flawed in that some amount of background is required for the viewer to fully appreciate the many problems that Captain "Lucky" Jack Aubrey (Russell Crowe) encounters in trying to overcome a much more heavily armed ship. I do recommend reading at least Master and Commander--the first book of the series--before watching this movie to simply acquaint the viewer with some of the peculiarities with this era of ship-to-ship warfare.

As to where the movie falls relative to the book series: it doesn't. The movie is very much an amalgam of dozens of stories told throughout the book series. No doubt I will find some story that was incorporated into this movie when I continue with the book series.

There is something of an historical anomaly: this movie takes place in 1805. Dr. Stephen Maturin (Paul Bettany)--Captain Aubrey's friend and confidant AND ship's doctor--is an amateur naturalist. During the H.M.S. Surprise's voyage to attempt to sink or capture the French ship Acheron, the ship harbors at the Galapagos Islands to pick up fresh water and some food. Maturin expresses great interest on the approach to the islands, then great disappointment when duty forces Captain Aubrey to break his "promise" that Maturin would be able spend at least a few days there (which is basically an incident which was told in another book in the series though that time involving islands in the Indian Ocean).

The problem with this is that this pre-dates Darwin's voyage on the Beagle by 30 years, much less the publication of The Origin of the Species 24 years after THAT which I believe was likely the earliest point that the Galapagos Islands would have become widely known for its unique flora and fauna. Being an amateur naturalist Maturin would have been thrilled to examine ANY territory that was new TO HIM, but his excitement carried the anomalous anticipation that he might have beaten Darwin's publication by decades had Maturin been given the chance without ever explicitly saying so.

Anyway: a minor point.

I can still recommend this movie WITH the strong suggestion that the novel "Master and Commander" be read first.
Vulture
Title: 420

Post by Vulture »

Hail, Caesar! Like most of their films, this one just as enjoyable in every way. I found the playing of opposites on God and Jesus in Christianity nicely woven into the details of the main characters and their stories artistic and clever enough for truly dim-witted people to be left out of the experience.
Geesie
Title: Couldn't hit it sideways

Post by Geesie »

Day of the Dolphin. Mike Nichols directs George C. Scott in a movie about talking dolphins.

Mike Nichols should not try to direct thrillers.