What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139 ... 195
Online now: Google [Bot]
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Star Wars Ep VII The Force Awakens

:up: :up: :up:

Metacell Chocolate Brahma
To Kill a Mockingbird

Good enough in all the overrated classic ways, but I think I prefer In the Heat of the Night. Yeah, different era, I know.
user Stupid cockwomble
THEY CALL ME MR TIBBS
Slaughterhouse Five

If you hadn't read the book, this would probably come off as one of those abstract early 70's avant-garde plotless art flicks...and I guess it kind of still does. It occurred to me that in the Viet Nam era somebody probably tripped horrible balls to this movie. A decent rendition.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Metacell posted:
Slaughterhouse Five

If you hadn't read the book, this would probably come off as one of those abstract early 70's avant-garde plotless art flicks...and I guess it kind of still does. It occurred to me that in the Viet Nam era somebody probably tripped horrible balls to this movie. A decent rendition.

It's not a bad treating of the novel. Do yourself a favor and never watch the movie version of Breakfast of Champions. It still wastes me off to this day that I saw it, what a terrible, terrible movie.
Vulture 420
Bone Tomahawk. Basically a western that is a horror movie. Pretty fun times.
E.T.

I hadn't seen it in years. Still a great, great movie.
user Stupid cockwomble
ET with the police revolvers or with the walkie-talkies?
user posted:
ET with the police revolvers or with the walkie-talkies?

Walkie-talkies. I have no problem with that. Spielberg regrets putting them in in the first place, and it's his vision, so I can live with it.

Greedo, however, never shot at all.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I thought the guns made Peter Coyote's people more menacing, and presented a greater threat to ET, making his escape more imperative . Thus, increasing the dramatic tension.
Tusk (2104) Michael Parks, Justin Long, Haley Joel Osment, Génesis Rodríguez, and Johnny Depp. The strangest movie ever. I don't recommend it because I wouldn't want people to think I think it's a good movie, but do I recommend it for those interested in the offbeat and or terrible.
user Stupid cockwomble
a movie from the future! hows depp holding out?
I meant to type 2014. It's not really a movie from the future.
user Stupid cockwomble
Oh crap, I was going to watch it.
TOS
i hear it's offbeat and or terrible
Sounds like The Human Centipede, but this time its one person turned into a walrus.

Moose Jaws looks fantastic though.
Lone Survivor (2013) Mark Wahlberg is a Navy SEAL ambushed on an Afghan mountain with four others on a recce. Based on a true story. Nice to see Hollywood more or less portray proper procedure for a change. Uses the special movie version of the slowed-down RPG. Takes a few liberties here and there but the best sustained action sequences I've seen in any combat film since A Walk In The Sun (1945). Worth a look.
Vulture 420
Oh yeah out here on Long Island that movie was a big deal.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Ribtor posted:
Lone Survivor (2013) Mark Wahlberg is a Navy SEAL ambushed on an Afghan mountain with four others on a recce. Based on a true story. Nice to see Hollywood more or less portray proper procedure for a change. Uses the special movie version of the slowed-down RPG. Takes a few liberties here and there but the best sustained action sequences I've seen in any combat film since A Walk In The Sun (1945). Worth a look.

Gonna check that out.

:::::::::::::downloads furiously:::::::::::::::::
Red Cliff

Another one based on Romance of the Three Kingdoms. In Asia it was released as two 2 hour movies, but I watched an international 2.5 hour long cut. Lots more Art of War stuff than Resurrection of the Dragon. The ending was a little too Hollywood. John Woo directed it so there's at least one dove flying around, but no one shoots with two crossbows simultaneously.
Pariah posted:
Ribtor posted:

Gonna check that out.

:::::::::::::downloads furiously:::::::::::::::::

There's what seems a massive plot hole in the film. The entire premise relies on this so called plot hole. Except it isn't a plot hole. See if you can spot it.
Man of Steel (2013) Pure human waste from start to finish. Heavy handed. Dull. The only bit I liked was the brutalised and impaled tractor-trailer at the truck stop.
The one thing that really bothered me about Man of Steel was when his Kent dad basically kills himself to hide his son's powers because humans==bigots. What an inspirational way to raise your alien offspring to have faith in humanity.
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
I recently read a Batman v Superman review which said that the man in America who least understands the character of Superman is in charge of his franchise.
I find Superman the same in that he wants to help others with his powers. That's the conversation he has in Man of Steel before his dad is killed and at the end when he drops the spy drone. It's the rest of the world that's cynical and dark.
Vulture 420
God's Pocket on Netflix streaming, starring Philip Seymour Hoffman. What a downer kind of a movie, yet it was a very good movie in general.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
The best (only good?) superman is Red Son.
dv
mmaverick posted:
The best (only good?) superman is Red Son.

Not even For the Man Who Has Everything?
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
I've made my choice.
dv
mmaverick posted:
I've made my choice.

Where's Metropolis? Where's Gotham? Has this been reconciled in the movieverse?
dv
Ribtor posted:

Metropolis is NYC, Gotham is Chicago. All other attempts to explain it are incorrect.

My inability to find Bayport, however, haunts me to this day.
Well, that's pretty definitive. I was wondering because of the Batman-Superman movie.
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
dv posted:
Ribtor posted:

Metropolis is NYC, Gotham is Chicago. All other attempts to explain it are incorrect.

My inability to find Bayport, however, haunts me to this day.

Gotham is near Metropolis and is open to international shipping. It's usually placed in southern New Jersey.
gd Hero of Twilight
I once read that Metropolis is New York by day and Gotham is New York by night, at least, based in the comics.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Ribtor posted:

Metropolis is Manhattan. Gotham is Brooklyn.
There seems to be confusion.

The Importance Of Being Earnest (1952) I watch this film about once a year. Classic Wilde and classic "Lady Bracknell".

The Other Guys (2010) Adequately funny for its type.
dv
Ribtor posted:
There seems to be confusion.

Multiverse.
Vulture 420
If you watch the show Gotham on television, that is filmed right here in Brooklyn in my neighborhood. I never realized I lived in Gotham.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139 ... 195