Music and video: analog or digital
ukimalefu
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway

Post by ukimalefu »

Blackhat

:up:
Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

Captain Phillips (2013) Hanks is in fine form. (I think he's our generation's Jimmy Stewart). I particularly liked the first third of the film with the small boats and the pursuit of the container ship. Such a difference in size yet yet they were so menacing. Credit to the director and the editing.

Some complaints from the actual crew members on the portrayal of events and the heroics of the real captain. But it's a movie not a documentary.
Pyke notte thy nostrellys
Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

The Gypsy Moths (1969) John Frankenheimer directs Burt Lancaster, Deborah Kerr, Gene Hackman. traveling trio of daredevil skydivers put on a show in a Kansas town. This film got me into skydiving and features the Para Commander parachute which was the type I learned with.
Pariah
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

The Hateful 8.
It was a beautifully shot movie that was good but could have been great if Tarentino could have restrained his self indulgence. I really enjoyed the first 2:15 of the movie but that last half hour was pretty terrible.
A good performance but completely failed to stick the landing.
Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
Séamas
Title: Honorary Consul General

Post by Séamas »

Animal Crackers
Horse Feathers

:lol:

The best part is I watched these at the request of my children (9 and 11), who laugh harder at these than anything.
My mother in law had a grandfather from Marx from Alsace. The Marx Bros father came from there as well. I like to imagine my wife and kids share a good amount of DNA with them.
And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.
justine
Title: Elitist Beer Lover

Post by justine »

Jurassic World - i was expecting so much more from it. It was ok. I enjoyed it. I just thought it would be a lot better.
"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
Vulture
Title: 420

Post by Vulture »

The Witch. Pretty good for a "scary" movie.
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

Tomorrowland :up:
Mustapha Mond
Title: Daring to be stupid

Post by Mustapha Mond »

Deadpool. I really liked it.
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

Survivor
Donkey Butter
Title: jerk face

Post by Donkey Butter »

John Wick

I thought it was pretty good.
Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

Legend (2015) Tom Hardy plays both Kray Twins. Worth a look for his performance(s)

Zombieland (2009) Fast Zombies. Guns galore. Bill Murray.
Vulture
Title: 420

Post by Vulture »

ukimalefu wrote: Tomorrowland :up:

Oh cool, I was wondering about this one, I'll have to watch. Saw Deadpool, it was awesome!
TOS

Post by TOS »

ant-man

fun! better than i expected
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
Metacell
Title: Chocolate Brahma

Post by Metacell »

Pacific Rim (in 3D via Bino). Cheesy, self-indulgent fun. I have to say that after watching this and Avengers 2 recently, that a lot of 3D movie graphics seems to be wound up in mecha animation and I start to feel like I'm watching an endless CAD reel. Another observation: Pacific Rim made me constantly feel like I needed a towel. There was rain and foam spraying in my face for most of the movie.
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
user
Title: Stupid cockwomble

Post by user »

Keep the dog out of the room when you watch movies!
Aw, he's no fun, he fell right over.

Science is Truth for Life. In FORTRAN tongue the Answer.

...so I'm supposed to find the Shadow King from inside a daiquiri?
TOS

Post by TOS »

tomorrowland

why did people crap all over it when it came out? i thought it was a very nice movie
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
Donkey Butter
Title: jerk face

Post by Donkey Butter »

I watched Batman vs Superman last night (or is it Superman vs Batman? Either way you know what movie I'm talking about).

Wish I would have saved my money. What a stupid show, and way too long.
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

Just started watching Ant-Man and came close to shutting it down as soon as they introduced the divorced dad/uncouth individual new dad/angry ex-wife element.
What the fiddlesticks is it with Hollywood that every god damned action movie has to include this tired, worn the fiddlesticks out element? Talk about unimaginative hack writing.
If that daughter turns out to have asthma I am hitting stop.

OK, no asthma anyways...
Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

A misguided attempt to make the characters relate-able while padding the story to fill screen time and as well to find a part for some actors who for some reason managed to convince the producers that there was a role for them in what was really a paper-thin plot to introduce a franchisable and lucrative character?
user

Post by user »

Makes sense for an ant-queen, though.

Alexander Supertramp
Title: this was uncalled for.

Post by Alexander Supertramp »

Pariah wrote: Just started watching Ant-Man and came close to shutting it down as soon as they introduced the divorced dad/uncouth individual new dad/angry ex-wife element.
What the fiddlesticks is it with Hollywood that every god damned action movie has to include this tired, worn the fiddlesticks out element? Talk about unimaginative hack writing.

That's true to Ant Man though. :shrug:
The visuals don't hold up.
TOS

Post by TOS »

Pariah wrote: Just started watching Ant-Man and came close to shutting it down as soon as they introduced the divorced dad/uncouth individual new dad/angry ex-wife element.
If that daughter turns out to have asthma I am hitting stop.

OK, no asthma anyways...

conflict

they require conflict
Metacell

Post by Metacell »

All heroes have to have the sad-sack day of hell.
Metacell

Post by Metacell »

Pee-Wee's Big Holiday

I liked it, it's basically more of the same ranging from the cartoonishly stupid to brilliant Americana satire. Innocuously disturbing. As with all thing Pee Wee, you must be a fan.
user

Post by user »

He meant to do that.

justine
Title: Elitist Beer Lover

Post by justine »

The Ten Commandments
"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
user

Post by user »

Oblivion - bored, bought it off iTunes because The Martian is still more than I want to pay.

s'Ok for a cruise movie I guess

Pariah

Post by Pariah »

Rush
The story of James Hunt and Niki Lauda. A beautifully done race movie in the tradition of Gran Prix. Loved everything about it.
TOS

Post by TOS »

currently watching terminator:genysis on netflix

i hope no one walks in and asks me to catch them up on it, because i don't understand it one damn bit
dv

Post by dv »

TOS wrote: currently watching terminator:genysis on netflix

i hope no one walks in and asks me to catch them up on it, because i don't understand it one damn bit

Remember that scene in Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, when Derek and Jessie remember being together, but realize they have different memories, because they came from different timelines? And then the implications and consequences of that were completely ignored?

Basically that. All the timelines got good and drunk, stick fiddled, had a baby, and nobody known who the father is.
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

dv wrote:
TOS wrote: currently watching terminator:genysis on netflix

Remember that scene in Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, when Derek and Jessie remember being together, but realize they have different memories, because they came from different timelines? And then the implications and consequences of that were completely ignored?

Basically that. All the timelines got good and drunk, stick fiddled, had a baby, and nobody known who the father is.

One more thing, I understand that Genysis ignores Rise of the machines and Salvation. Those didn't happen (or alternate timeline). So forget about what you think you know from the previous two movies.
TOS

Post by TOS »

the writing was terrible and the role of sarah was horribly miscast
Metacell

Post by Metacell »

All Terminator sequels after T2 are potential futures that never happened because they stopped them for good in T2.
TOS

Post by TOS »

back when skynet was a defence computer and not an iphone app?
Metacell

Post by Metacell »

Man of Steel: basically entertaining if disposable. Main gripe: besides the recycled high-speed, IN YER FACE, mass destruction effects used in every disaster movie, why must EVERY sci-fi/fantasy movie get it's art design from HEAVY METAL/Alien vs. Predator/Giger and Moebius. What's wrong with re-imagining an alien version of art-deco / space-age design for Krypton the way it was in the comics? That would have been something new to look at besides the same old biomechanical human waste.

EDIT: also, the bombastic EPIC music grated too.
TOS

Post by TOS »

i dunno, i thought the 3-d interfaces of the kryptonian computers were fairly neat

the scene in the spaceship when they go over krypton's history was like an art deco bas relief come to life
Metacell

Post by Metacell »

TOS wrote: i dunno, i thought the 3-d interfaces of the kryptonian computers were fairly neat

the scene in the spaceship when they go over krypton's history was like an art deco bas relief come to life

Those two things I thought were cool, but they didn't match the rest. I'd have loved it if all of Krypton's architecture looked like the animated history sculpture.

Also, my favorite new drinking game: when will Dr. Octopus' arms magically re-appear in a 3D movie. It's in the last act of Man of Steel.
dv

Post by dv »

The Last Witch Hunter - B-Movie fantasy, well done, some of the SFX were a bit questionable but hey, budgets. Vin Diesel was enjoyable to watch. Critically panned, but I honestly wonder sometimes why the critics can't pull the sticks out of their asses long enough to enjoy a dumb fun movie once in a while.

The Martian - Yeah, well done. Good movie, even if it was 90 minutes of Matt Damon talking to himself. I think the Jeff Daniels character should also have resigned though.

Edit: also, WTF was up with Martinez's wife? She was wasted the voyage was going to be longer, but then at the end, he's going back to Mars? Did they reconcile? Did she leave him? What?
j_tso

Post by j_tso »

Batman v Superman

I liked it enough. Took a while for the action to get going, but they had to flesh out how paranoid Batman is. It had a throwaway CGI villain because there's only so much heavy handed characterization to go around. Batfleck was better than I thought he would be, especially after Dark Knight Rises where Batman was a mopey quitter.

SPL (2005)
Crazy HK police action movie. The drama and the action are over the top.
Sammo Hung plays a crime boss and Donnie Yen a kick ass cop who do the final fight. Surprisingly Sammo still has the moves.