What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137 ... 195
Online now: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]
Pariah will get a kick out of the arguments between Wozniak (Rogen) and Jobs (Fassbender).
maurvir posted:
Ribtor posted:
In particular, it's about a rich man accepting his daughter.

That whole deal with his daughter is the primary reason I refused to deify Jobs like everyone else. The guy was an arrogant prick to the end, and went out earlier than necessary as a result. However, he had a remarkable business acumen and eye for detail, and was probably one of the greatest businessmen of our time.

There is a good chance that, between all three films, you actually start to get a solid picture of the man.

There's nothing about the man I like, given the portrayals.
He was a toy maker. He fought those in Apple who wanted to make tools. His vision of toys won the day. The film "Steve Jobs" partly deals with this.

I recall an article in the late 80s in Psychology Today about the future of the western (and global) person as not merely a consumer but an increasingly infantile consumer. One of the take-aways was that businesses who not only meet that market but foster it will do well. Men play the same games as boys. It didn't used to be that way. Jobs was not a product of that, but he consciously or unconsciously recognised the potential.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Ribtor posted:
maurvir posted:
Ribtor posted:
In particular, it's about a rich man accepting his daughter.

That whole deal with his daughter is the primary reason I refused to deify Jobs like everyone else. The guy was an arrogant prick to the end, and went out earlier than necessary as a result. However, he had a remarkable business acumen and eye for detail, and was probably one of the greatest businessmen of our time.

There is a good chance that, between all three films, you actually start to get a solid picture of the man.

There's nothing about the man I like, given the portrayals.
He was a toy maker. He fought those in Apple who wanted to make tools. His vision of toys won the day. The film "Steve Jobs" partly deals with this.

I recall an article in the late 80s in Psychology Today about the future of the western (and global) person as not merely a consumer but an increasingly infantile consumer. One of the take-aways was that businesses who not only meet that market but foster it will do well. Men play the same games as boys. It didn't used to be that way. Jobs was not a product of that, but he consciously or unconsciously recognised the potential.

We are in no way in disagreement. However, Jobs did turn Apple into one of the largest computer companies on the planet by selling to infantile consumers, and making them even more infantile in the process. Hence, he is probably one of the greatest businessmen of our time. ;)
maurvir posted:

We are in no way in disagreement. However, Jobs did turn Apple into one of the largest computer companies on the planet by selling to infantile consumers, and making them even more infantile in the process. Hence, he is probably one of the greatest businessmen of our time. ;)

By that standard, he certainly deserves the accolades.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
After a long career that was mostly a failure he finally hit on a product that caught the fancy of consumers.
Had Apple not ousted him in the 80's Apple would probably be a footnote in history alongside Amiga and Sinclair. Even in those days his pissy attitude about fans, extendibility and upgradeableness were in full flower.
NeXT was a complete flop, one that at least produced some good, reusable code. But a market failure. The NeXT hardware is a good example of how completely wrong Jobs could be about computers when given complete control.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Tangled
Cute enough take on the Rapunzel story. The main characters are more engaging than most Disney princess movies.

Wings 1927
A good bit of the story is kinda sappy, but overall this is definitely worth watching. The technical aspects of some of the scenes is really impressive and there is an artistic touch throughout. Really nice camera work. If you are alert you can catch a half second glimpse of Clara Bow's boobs.
The battle scenes--both in the air and on land are far more exciting than I anticipated. Knowing the technical limitations I am amaze that a whole bunch of extras didn't get blown to bits.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Séamas posted:
Tangled
Cute enough take on the Rapunzel story. The main characters are more engaging than most Disney princess movies.

Wings 1927
A good bit of the story is kinda sappy, but overall this is definitely worth watching. The technical aspects of some of the scenes is really impressive and there is an artistic touch throughout. Really nice camera work. If you are alert you can catch a half second glimpse of Clara Bow's boobs.
The battle scenes--both in the air and on land are far more exciting than I anticipated. Knowing the technical limitations I am amaze that a whole bunch of extras didn't get blown to bits.

user Stupid cockwomble
TOS
Séamas posted:
Tangled

Wings 1927

there's an anecdote about the re-creation of the battle of saint-mihel ... that they set it all up at colossal expense, but before the cameras started rolling a young woman, seeing her friend, tried to get her attention by waving her handkerchief, and this triggered everyone to start re-creating the battle ... but because the cameras weren't rolling they had to do it all again
Hrundi Bakshi in drag?
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
The Witch.

Still thinking that one over.
Predestination. Kinda interesting and creepy also.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Mad Max Fury Road

:up:
The Front (1976) Woody Allen, Zero Mostel, directed by Martin Ritt. Woody plays a small time bookie who pretends to be a TV writer for blacklisted authors. The movie was written, directed and produced and even acted by some actual blacklisted people.
Vulture 420
Lobster. Best movie I have seen in a really long time. Challenges how you expect storytelling in movies, and makes you ask questions about our society through caricatures of our society. The ending was spectacular, even though when you first experience it you're feeling so left hanging because you'll get it later and feel thoroughly satisfied about what it means. Highly recommended.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Dead Pool: Liked it.
Predestination and Steve Jobs.

I have no doubt that Jobs was pretty much like how the movie described. Basically an uncouth individual, but brilliant as well.
Her (2013).

I gave up on it after about 40 minutes. I simply did not care about any character or practically any THING in this movie. It's odd because given its subject I figured that this movie should have been right in my wheelhouse.

I had it saved on my DVR. I thought I might get back to it later, but after about 3 weeks of it sitting in there I looked at its entry and then decided it was a lost cause.
The Theory Of Everything (2014) Stephen Hawking bio-pic telling his and his wife's story from '63 to the publication of "A Brief History Of Time".
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
DEyncourt posted:
Her (2013).

I gave up on it after about 40 minutes. I simply did not care about any character or practically any THING in this movie. It's odd because given its subject I figured that this movie should have been right in my wheelhouse.

I had it saved on my DVR. I thought I might get back to it later, but after about 3 weeks of it sitting in there I looked at its entry and then decided it was a lost cause.
Wow.

I really liked that movie.
TOS
return of the living dead (1986 i think)

written and directed by dan o'bannon, at the time i thought it was brilliant

still got some neat elements, but man oh man is it ever a product of its times

i liked the slimy zombie from the tank, and the legless zombie with the clunking spinal cord

i believe this movie was the origin of the "braaiiinnnss" zombie meme
user Stupid cockwomble
Is that the one with Donald Sutherland pointing and screaming?
dv
user posted:

No, that's invasion of the bodysnatchers.
TOS
it's a spoofy horror that mocks many a trope, especially in terms of characters

the zombies talk and are frequently funny ... for instance after ambushing police officers, fumbling with the radio and saying, "send more cops"
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
It's the one with the punk rock soundtrack, it's a bit Repo-Man.
user Stupid cockwomble
Maybe it's the one where they nuke Louisville.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Oh, please remember the name of that one!
dv
TOS posted:

the zombies talk and are frequently funny ... for instance after ambushing police officers, fumbling with the radio and saying, "send more cops"

You mean "Send more paramedics"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRcle-JgnFA

Or is this like a remake-of-a-remake problem?
dv
dv posted:
user posted:

No, that's invasion of the bodysnatchers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEStsLJZhzo

Youtube is awesome.
TOS
dv posted:
TOS posted:

You mean "Send more paramedics"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRcle-JgnFA

Or is this like a remake-of-a-remake problem?

one zombie got on the radio and said "send more paramedics" and the paramedics who responded got ambushed

then cops came, got ambushed, and a different zombie used the same trick in fact a zombified cop waved them into the graveyard

same movie
dv
Ok, blanking. I must need to watch it again.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
The Best Of Enemies (2015) Documentary of the William Buckley vs Gore Vidal debates during the 1968 conventions.
TOS
dv posted:
Ok, blanking. I must need to watch it again.

in your defence the movie came out 30 years ago
ukimalefu posted:
Transcendence

I only thought it was so so.
dv
avkills posted:
ukimalefu posted:
Transcendence

I only thought it was so so.

I couldn't make it through the whole thing. Just seemed... painful, somehow.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I didn't watch it.
I didn't watch "To Kill A Mockingjay" either.
I saw the first movie of both, and neither generated enough interest to entice me to see how it ended.
Didn't even try the Maze runner.
Three Kingdoms: Resurrection of the Dragon

I'm not too familiar with the Three Kingdoms stories, but this movie puts a side character in the lead role. It came out shortly after 300 so the sparse story is only there to connect the huge battles scenes. Lots of horses and spears. It kinda looked like the dialog was dubbed in, I thought even mainland Chinese films didn't do that any more. I liked the cinematography, costume design, music, and Art of War references.
TOS
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Neil Young • Heart of Gold
A Jonathan Demme documentary of a 2005 Neil Young concert at the Ryman auditorium in Nashville.

I can't honestly say I liked it very much. Neil is mostly performing music from his (then) recent Prairie Wind album, but it seems he is trying desperately to audition to replace Garrison Keillor or something.
Mr. Young gets into his little concepts every now and then and works them until he starts repeating himself badly. This one is all about getting old and dying and virtues of living on the prairie, and it's all prairie this and prairie that.

Looking at the wiki entry it seems I turned it off just about at the same time he ended his first set and was gonna come out and play other (older ) material. I hope it is better than the first part.

It reminds me of seeing him about a year before he made this--he (and Crazy Horse) performed his entire Greenvale album--complete with dancers and actors and a little set of a small town. Cute, but not cute enough. Fortunately he rewarded the audience's patients with a nice long loud encore of tunes from the Live Rust period.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137 ... 195