What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136 ... 195
Online now: Google [Bot]
John Wick (2014) All action, and Reeves is unburdened with lines to say, so there's that. Apparently there's an action genre called "Gun-Fu" and this movie has lots of that in it. Blah.

Last edited by Ribtor on Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:53 pm.

Vulture 420
That movie, John Wick, got me excited when 12 guys came to his house while he was alone with the intent to kill him. Everything after that was just trying to live up to that part. It was funny to see John Leguizamo working at a garage that is down the street from me, and he is getting portly in his post-metabolism days.
The Monuments Men (2014) More of Clooney as Mr Glib. Almost Oceans 11 do good in war torn Europe. A story that needs better telling. I think a movie built around Ms Blanchett's character could have told the same story but with greater intimacy, personality, and depth.
Vulture 420
Ribtor posted:
The Monuments Men (2014) More of Clooney as Mr Glib. Almost Oceans 11 do good in war torn Europe. A story that needs better telling. I think a movie built around Ms Blanchett's character could have told the same story but with greater intimacy, personality, and depth.

I watched that movie in a rare enthusiasm for being bored. In the end, it was an ok movie that left me feeling I needed to see something less boring. The occasional humor interspersed in a dangerous and solemn backdrop barely saved my attention.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
justine posted:
ukimalefu posted:
Jurassic World

Better than JP 2 and 3

Funny! I just picked up the bluray/dvd/digi for $12! I haven't watched it yet, tho.

I saw it at the theater with my 6 year old grandson. He figured out how it was going to end. It was fun. My favorite part was the Jeep.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
Deadpool was fuckin awesome.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
The Shining

Better than I remembered.

I think I will place it as my #2 horror movie, right after the Exorcist.
Vulture posted:
That movie, John Wick, got me excited when 12 guys came to his house while he was alone with the intent to kill him. Everything after that was just trying to live up to that part. It was funny to see John Leguizamo working at a garage that is down the street from me, and he is getting portly in his post-metabolism days.

There will be a sequel.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
Carousel.

I really couldn't watch the whole thing
Shirley Jones is absolutely beautiful in it, and I know there area where they filmed it pretty well, but man, I just had no interest in the story or the main character.
it's one of Oscar Hammerstein's favorites out of his work with Richard Rogers, but the music didn't do anything for me.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Men In Black. I hated the second, so I never saw the third, but the first was sure funny.
Pithecanthropus posted:
Men In Black. I hated the second, so I never saw the third, but the first was sure funny.

The third one was OK--better when Will Smith took advantage of the inherent racism of 1969 as it was mostly a time-travel story--but it was another of those cases where in Hollywood you aren't allowed to do better, only to do MORE (according to Robert Mitchum).
300 Rise of an Empire (2014) In some key points, they actually reversed the historical record. Like with Braveheart, I don't think I was supposed to be laughing but I couldn't help myself. I imagine there will be a third film showing Persia's retreat from Greece and the sowed seeds of the Peloponnesian War.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Footloose. Failed to see it in the 80s. Watching it now.

edit: So, how or where in this town where people had not danced for years did these teenagers all of a sudden obtain mad dancing skills?
Jurassic World (2015) Charmless monster movie. Dull cast. No suspense.
TOS
all that jazz (again)

a remarkable movie
user Stupid cockwomble
Robert B. posted:
Footloose. Failed to see it in the 80s. Watching it now.

edit: So, how or where in this town where people had not danced for years did these teenagers all of a sudden obtain mad dancing skills?

They watched youtube.
TOS posted:
all that jazz (again)

a remarkable movie

I think I mentioned before that my father-in-law took my wife and her friend to see that. They were about 10 years old.

He never took her to the movies again.
Séamas posted:
TOS posted:
all that jazz (again)

a remarkable movie

I think I mentioned before that my father-in-law took my wife and her friend to see that. They were about 10 years old.

I :lol: 'd.
TOS
Séamas posted:
TOS posted:
all that jazz (again)

a remarkable movie

luckily they turned out okay!
TOS
just watched jodorowsky's dune

really interesting look at the legendary failed film project
user Stupid cockwomble
a documentary on the failed film?
The Revenant (2015) A bit long. I wonder how the bear attack scene was filmed.

Parker (2013) Jason Statham, Jennifer Lopez. Good bad guy takes on bad bad guys who left him for dead after a job. Kind of like The Revenant, but in Palm Beach.
TOS
user posted:
a documentary on the failed film?

aye
Straight Outta Compton. To my surprise, it was very good.
Jobs (2013) I thought Pirates Of Silicon Valley told a better story.
Ribtor posted:
Jobs (2013) I thought Pirates Of Silicon Valley told a better story.

Pirates Of Silicon Valley is the only one you need. I love it.

The one with Ashton Kutcher is very... meh. I have no plans to watch the other one. Maybe I will, maybe I won't.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
The Hunt For Red October

I know, I know ...
DukeofNuke posted:
The Hunt For Red October

I know, I know ...

You know? what?

I really like that movie.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
DukeofNuke posted:
The Hunt For Red October

I know, I know ...

You know what? :brow:
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
maurvir posted:
DukeofNuke posted:
The Hunt For Red October

I know, I know ...

You know what? :brow:

One of my all time faves!

I watched Star Wars: A New Hope last night. It was the one with the simultaneous Greedo/Solo shot, and that horrible scene with Solo and Jabba. Other than that it was nice to see the original again.

Last edited by Pithecanthropus on Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:46 pm.

DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I know, I know ... that it's really old (as movies go), and Alec Baldwin, and everything about it has been said, and blah, blah, blah ...
But I gotta say that it is one of my favorite "Comfort Food" movies, that I watch every time I catch it playing. Others in that category are "Goldfinger" and "The Wrath Of Kahn".
Thing is, unlike the others, "Red October" seems to be on one channel or another about once a week. This last time felt cut to ribbons. :(
Yeah, who ever keeps cutting up The Hunt for Red October needs to be buried at sea. :squint:

Goldfinger is pretty good, but not my favorite Bond film. The Wrath of Khan, on the other hand, still holds as one of the best, if not the best, Trek film.
user Stupid cockwomble
I really wanted to see Utah.
I thought it was Montana
j_tso posted:
I thought it was Montana

It was.
user Stupid cockwomble
It was cut shorter.
Steve Jobs (2015) Very different from 'Pirates of Silicon Valley' and 'Jobs'. This film is all Aaron Sorkin dialogue. Fassbender doesn't look like Jobs. Kate Winslet is great as Joanna Hoffman. Seth Rogan is Wozniak. Jeff Daniels is Scully. It's not a history of Apple but a character study in three acts. Anyone familiar with Sorkin's style will probably know what the characters will say before they even say it.

What I like is that it is a stand-alone drama that doesn't demand the audience be familiar with the history. It's just about the personalities. In particular, it's about a rich man accepting his daughter.
Ribtor posted:
In particular, it's about a rich man accepting his daughter.

That whole deal with his daughter is the primary reason I refused to deify Jobs like everyone else. The guy was an arrogant prick to the end, and went out earlier than necessary as a result. However, he had a remarkable business acumen and eye for detail, and was probably one of the greatest businessmen of our time.

There is a good chance that, between all three films, you actually start to get a solid picture of the man.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136 ... 195