What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135 ... 195
Online now: Google [Bot], j_tso
Ribtor posted:
Saving Mr. Banks (2013) Emma Thompson, Tom Hanks, Colin Farrell. Somewhat fictionalised account of PL Travers and Walt Disney coming to terms with the production of Mary Poppins. Thompson is brilliant. This is a film to see.

My wife and I quite enjoyed it. Tom Hanks gave a wonderful portrayal of Disney and Emma Thompson was, indeed, her usual brilliant self.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
dv posted:
Ribtor posted:
I wonder if Spiderman will be rolled into the Captain America/Avengers stories.

Fans would love it, but there's a lot of capitalism involved in that.

It's happening. http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Spider-M ... 69690.html
Vulture 420
Bridge of Spies, not bad, but right off the bat it was supposed to be 1957 and they were in the subway and it looked so obviously not 1957 it was hard to feel like suspending belief. Still, a decent flick.

World Of Tomorrow, a ~15 minute short on Netflix, animated very cleverly and simplistically with very good use of sound to make more compelling. Had to watch it twice it was so enjoyable.
Alexander Supertramp posted:
dv posted:
Ribtor posted:

Oh no! They'll have top explain all those crazy monsters that spider-man battled in NYC without any help from The Avengers! Frankly (Scarlett), I don't give a damn but I understand that the community of fans immerses themselves in this stuff. Fun, anyway. My nephews will plotz.
TOS
Ribtor posted:
dv posted:
Ribtor posted:

Oh no! They'll have top explain all those crazy monsters that spider-man battled in NYC without any help from The Avengers! Frankly (Scarlett), I don't give a damn but I understand that the community of fans immerses themselves in this stuff. Fun, anyway. My nephews will plotz.

they're also rebooting spider-man for the millionth damn tme
Vulture 420
I liked Spiderman better when he was only drawn in still scenes in floppy little magazines.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
TOS posted:
Ribtor posted:
dv posted:
Ribtor posted:

Marvel finally got him back from Sony, so now he can finally be part of the Avengers.

WTF are they going to do with the Fantastic 4 ?
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
DukeofNuke posted:
TOS posted:
Ribtor posted:
dv posted:
Ribtor posted:

Marvel finally got him back from Sony, so now he can finally be part of the Avengers.

I've probably said this before, by FF was one of my favorite mainstream comic books and in my opinion, what makes it good also means it should not be filmed, or at least not using the typical superhero movie assembly line.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
Geesie posted:
DukeofNuke posted:
TOS posted:
Ribtor posted:
dv posted:
Ribtor posted:

I've probably said this before, by FF was one of my favorite mainstream comic books and in my opinion, what makes it good also means it should not be filmed, or at least not using the typical superhero movie assembly line.

Did you read Matt Fraction's run on FF?

Fantastic Four has been hit and miss for me. I've loved some of them, but man that FF run was the perfect blend of goofy human waste and science. Highly recommend.
U-571 (2000) Good standard action flick but has that cliche sub-plot (pun intended) of the Executive Officer being denied his own command because he's judged "not ready" by the old man. Hollywood really needs to let that go. A film distinguished by the fact that it was denounced in the U.K. Parliament.
user Stupid cockwomble
Wasn't that the film where the US was given credit for a successful British WWII operation?
Amazed me that they thought that was necessary or appropriate.
dv
user posted:
Wasn't that the film where the US was given credit for a successful British WWII operation?
Amazed me that they thought that was necessary or appropriate.

Did you see Argo?
They're just movies.

It's not as if there aren't enough documentaries made covering this stuff.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Geesie posted:
DukeofNuke posted:
TOS posted:
Ribtor posted:
dv posted:
Ribtor posted:

The never released (but available) Roger Corman version from the 90's is the only one that resembles the comics.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I watched Inside Out again. :)
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
I just watched Big Trouble in Little China.

I have not yet seen a John Carpenter movie I didn't love.
Geesie posted:
I just watched Big Trouble in Little China.

This is one of the best and cheesiest flicks of all time! I love it!
Transformers: Age Of Extinction (2015) It is what it is.
dv
Ribtor posted:
Transformers: Age Of Extinction (2015) It is what it is.

stick fiddling DRAGON!

Yes.
Mars Attacks! :D
dv
justine posted:

I actually played in a pit orchestra for Brigadoon before I saw the movie. As a result, I enjoyed the movie a bit more than I otherwise would have.

But for some reason, the summer I spent working in a light opera company, that yodel was our stick fiddling anthem.
dv posted:
justine posted:

I actually played in a pit orchestra for Brigadoon before I saw the movie. As a result, I enjoyed the movie a bit more than I otherwise would have.

But for some reason, the summer I spent working in a light opera company, that yodel was our stick fiddling anthem.

:up:
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Annual viewing of Groundhog Day. I love that movie, it never gets old.
Pithecanthropus posted:

Is that irony?
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Ribtor posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:

Is that irony?

I suppose it is. :) ;)
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Full Metal Jacket

While Lee Ermey is great as Sgt Hartman, the rest of the movie all seems like quotes assembled from a dozen different war memoirs. I suppose it tells two different stories, but doesn't really stick the landing. Not Kubrick's best work.
juice Inadvertently correct
Best opening 30 minutes in movie history.
Vulture 420
Séamas posted:
Full Metal Jacket

While Lee Ermey is great as Sgt Hartman, the rest of the movie all seems like quotes assembled from a dozen different war memoirs. I suppose it tells two different stories, but doesn't really stick the landing. Not Kubrick's best work.

I'd have to see it again if I get in the mood for that kind of thing, but one thing I learned about Kubrick and his movies is the sheen he puts on them to stamp his work. You're probably right in seeing cracks in the foundation with a critical eye, but the movie probably lives up to his cinematic style requirements for the composition of every scene and the vibe created that runs as a common thread in all or most of his movies. I used to have a distaste for Eyes Wide Shut, and perhaps that's a bad example because I think he died before it was finished, and I still hate certain things about it but it does fall squarely into that Kubrick style that is highly unique and artful. The Shining is one of those great examples of that.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
FMJ was very disjointed, and did feel like two different films smushed into one. However, I felt both segments were well done. In a sense, it was probably fairly close to the reality of going from basic training in the US to war overseas.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Vulture posted:
Séamas posted:
Full Metal Jacket

I'd have to see it again if I get in the mood for that kind of thing, but one thing I learned about Kubrick and his movies is the sheen he puts on them to stamp his work. You're probably right in seeing cracks in the foundation with a critical eye, but the movie probably lives up to his cinematic style requirements for the composition of every scene and the vibe created that runs as a common thread in all or most of his movies. I used to have a distaste for Eyes Wide Shut, and perhaps that's a bad example because I think he died before it was finished, and I still hate certain things about it but it does fall squarely into that Kubrick style that is highly unique and artful. The Shining is one of those great examples of that.

Kubrick is an outstanding photographer.
He is about as good as they get at blocking a shot--that's the patina (his choice of lens, etc is a big part of it)

One of his great faults is he isn't all that good--or is inconsistent-- at directing actors.
I think his best bit of directing an actor was with George C. Scott, where he basically tricked him into playing way over the top--something Scott took umbrage at.

Other than that, I think the best acting in any of his movies was more from the actor directing themselves very well--Ermey (who played a version of himself) and Malcom McDowell.

Kubrick is also spotty as a storyteller. Full Metal Jacket is one of his less well told stories. Eyes Wide Shut is just about unwatchable--but I feel the same about almost every Tom Cruise movie.( I think both of these movies suffered a bit because he was trying to tell stories of real paces, but insisted on filming near home in London)
Ghost Rider 2 Spirit Of Vengeance (2012) I enjoyed it. It's judged a failure by most but I thought the effects and stunts were amazing.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
^^ Yeah, I liked it. It's schlocky but delivers on Ghost Rider. Waddya' expect?
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
-The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

Had all the right elements, but the whole was less than the sum of it parts. I think I want to blame the director.

-Mission Impossible Rogue Nation

Not great, but not bad. Entertaining enough.
Pacific Rim (2013) Stupid fun. Does Charlie Hunnam ever play a Brit anymore?
jkahless Custom Title
Labyrinth and Rocky Horror. What a great double header at my local independent theatre. I'm almost ashamed to admit it was my first time seeing Labyrinth...
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Jurassic World

Better than JP 2 and 3
Bridge of Spies (2015) Spielberg plus the Coen brothers plus Hanks. My only quibble is with the way the film-makes use no subtlety; just about everything in the film that isn't Donovan's or Abel's mannerisms, is exposition.
ukimalefu posted:
Jurassic World

Better than JP 2 and 3

Funny! I just picked up the bluray/dvd/digi for $12! I haven't watched it yet, tho.
Tomorrowland (2015).

Y'know, I REALLY want to like this film. I think that at its base it has an important message that genius and innovation REQUIRES a supportive society to thrive and that it doesn't take much to stifle both to the detriment of all, but unfortunately the heart of the story is pure fantasy.

The movie begins with an elder, salt-and-pepper-haired Frank Walker (George Clooney) giving a speech getting interrupted by Casey Newton (Britt Robertson) mostly off-camera. Eventually he begins to tell his tale of how he was introduced to Tomorrowland back at the 1964 World's Fair at NYC as a young boy of about 10. There he goes to the INNOVATIONS exhibit where he tries to show off his jet pack which kinda-sorta works. The gentleman behind the desk, Nix (Hugh Laurie), dismisses the young Frank but a young girl behind desk, Athena (Raffey Cassidy), spies something about Frank that she likes. While Frank leaves and mopes in front of the exhibit, Athena meets him and puts a pin on Frank's jacket, inviting him to follow her. Nix and Athena are joined by a number of other people and they get into a boat for the "It's a Small World" ride (which was actually at that World's Fair before later being moved to Disneyland). There is something odd going on because the people in charge of the ride let a couple of empty boats go after that boat with Nix and Athena and company, but Frank clambers after them and sneaks onto one of those empty boats. Soon after Frank's boat makes a turn just after entering "It's a Small World" proper, Frank sees a beam flash out from one of towers within the ride onto his pin, then a segment of the ride opens in front of his boat and he is taken to another layer of the ride. Eventually his boat docks and voice instructs him to enter the booth in front of him. Although anxious, Frank complies and is whisked away to Tomorrowland where after a series of (mis-)adventures he catches up with Athena and Nix.

At this point we return to Frank giving his speech being interrupted again by Casey. Frank gives up and tells Casey to tell her story.

The time is about NOW. Casey lives near the Kennedy Space Center with her brother and her father who is a nearly out-of-work space engineer still working for NASA as a contractor deconstructing one of the now-unused gantries at KSC. In the middle of the night Casey sneaks off to that gantry and with a number of devices at hand she makes sure that she is not being observed by the guards at the site then gets onto the gantry to sabotage the deconstruction machinery. After Casey returns home, we are shown Athena--still looking like a 12-year-old girl--after some preparation dropping a pin into Casey's helmet that she wore while riding her motorcycle.

In the morning before going off to school, her father tells her that he has gotten a call from work saying that something happened overnight so he won't be going in, BUT the powers-that-be are shipping something out and that he'll be back at work tearing down the gantry after noon. Casey shrugs but is frustrated that she wasn't more effective, going off to school for the day and being further frustrated by her lackluster teachers.

That evening Casey again goes out to try something but unfortunately the guards and police are waiting for her. She gets taken to a local jail and her father arranges for her bail. When she gets her stuff out of the large manilla envelope into which the police stored her belongings, she picks up the pin that Athena had dropped into her helmet and then things happen to her. Eventually Casey figures out that somehow the pin requires direct skin contact but only for her to partially take her to the Tomorrowland world (she still is in part connected to our world). By releasing the pin from direct contact she can see where she is in our world then estimate where she needs to go to get to that city she sees in the distance. Unfortunately she subsequently discovers that the pin has a limited lifespan.

Eventually Casey meets with Athena who then leads her to Frank who has become a virtual hermit. They are being chased by a set of audio animatronics robots which are mostly concerned with what Athena has been doing and trying to stop HER, and only secondarily concerned with stopping the three of them from returning to Tomorrowland.

I'll let the movie tell the rest for anyone who wishes to learn it. It is a mostly fun story with lots of amusing and interesting bits, but I'm afraid that at its heart it ultimately fails.

One thing to note: watch Athena played by Raffey Cassidy. I think that even though she playing a robot, I think that Cassidy does play her role with extreme subtlety which is astounding for a 12/13-year-old. Perhaps she was aided by superb direction from Brad Bird, but I think she will be an actress to watch assuming that she decides to continue with acting.
Vulture 420
The Cincinnati Kid. Great flick from 1965 I haven't seen before, watched it because of the poker playing. I like the 1965 look and oldness of it, and whatever lame character/plot elements mainly because Rip Torn was in it also as a rich brat named Slade. Much better than the other poker movie I just watched for the first time, Maverick from 1994 with Mel Gibson.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135 ... 195