What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132 ... 195
Online now: Google [Bot], j_tso
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
I am avoiding the plot points as well as I can, staying away from threads and posts related to it.
Dan Airman Dan
arkayn posted:
I am avoiding the plot points as well as I can, staying away from threads and posts related to it.

That won't help. The spoiler I hit happened when I expanded a downvoted comment in /r/NotTheOnion. People have been spamming that spoiler in YouTube comments, Facebook posts, everywhere. There was a guy on line for opening night that was trying to hand written spoilers to little kids.

See it now, as soon as you can, and avoid online media entirely. I give it a week before everyone knows the details whether they've seen the movie or not.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Insurgent -- Wow, these movies are fuckin dumb!
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
Dan posted:
arkayn posted:

That won't help. The spoiler I hit happened when I expanded a downvoted comment in /r/NotTheOnion. People have been spamming that spoiler in YouTube comments, Facebook posts, everywhere. There was a guy on line for opening night that was trying to hand written spoilers to little kids.

See it now, as soon as you can, and avoid online media entirely. I give it a week before everyone knows the details whether they've seen the movie or not.

I don't even go near Redit, so I am safe from there.
Becket (1964) Peter O'Toole and Richard Burton in their prime, as Henry II and Thomas Beckett. Takes plenty of liberties with detail but presents the root of the conflict between church and state.
TOS
back mass

much better than expected, lush production values

though i'm not sure how the title makes sense in the context of the story
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Kingsman: The Secret Service

Really liked it
user Stupid cockwomble
TOS posted:
back mass

much better than expected, lush production values

though i'm not sure how the title makes sense in the context of the story

Had JaLo in it dindit?
dv
I did not know that there was a sequel to Stuart Little.

But pithy family friendly fare is that my stepmom will watch. :(
TOS
the drop

a not-bad little movie

also: killing them softly

another li'l gangsta movie, with a little speech at the end that explains everyone's actions in it (constant juxtaposition of gangster actions with audio clips from the financial meltdown)
dv
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
If a url contains parentheses it needs to have [url] tags around it.

dv posted:

dv
obvs posted:
If a url contains parentheses it needs to have [url] tags around it.

dv posted:

Ugh.
TOS
Elizabeth (1998) Fine. Subtle liberties taken for the sake of a movie.

Elizabeth, The Golden Age (2007) Massive liberties taken for the sake of plot and casting.

Blanchett owns both movies.
Insurgent (2015).

This is part 2 of the movies based on the Divergent book series by Veronica Roth.

I tolerated this movie for about 40 minutes before giving up.

I did watch the first movie "Divergent" earlier this year so it isn't as if I dropped into the series without (at least the movie) preparation. Unfortunately just like in the previous movie all the audience is told is basically "divergent == bad" without a full explanation as to why. It may be that the very stratified society that is living about 100 years from now in the ruins of Chicago and in its surrounding area protected by a high wall is only precariously balanced so that anyone who violates that stratification would be a threat, but in this second movie the audience gets no introduction to that social scene.

The movie begins with the heroine Tris (Shailene Woodley) and her boyfriend Four (Theo James) hiding in a farm community with a couple of other renegades from the police/military faction about a week following the end of the previous movie. They are not fitting in well, so much so that the city leader sends a military unit to track them down (there are other complications which I'll not bother to describe). Tris and Four and one of the other renegades manage to escape by boarding a supply train heading into the city center (and--conveniently--the head of that military unit does not bother to contact anyone to, say, tell that train to stop so that the military unit could catch up). On board the train Tris and friends encounter a group of factionless. A fight ensues in which several of the factionless are killed by Tris and her friends (who, after all, had been formally trained in self-defense) until Four mentions his real name, at which point the leader of these factionless tells him--rather enthusiastically--"Well, we've been looking for you!" Mind you: we are not actually shown those people being killed but they had been pushed between train cars while that train was moving at speed (at least faster than a human can run), so while all but bloodless--at least aboard that train--these factionless held no grudge against Tris and company for the deaths of (presumably) their friends.

That's some awfully poor writing.

I did watch a little more but quite frankly it wasn't worth the effort to describe, much less watch.
user Stupid cockwomble
I got through the first movie but I found it a bit tedious. Reminded me of the Hunger Games nonsense.
Avengers: Age of Ultron

:ironman: :up:
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
The Sound of Music
Christmas Vacation
A Christmas Story
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
Force Awakens. I very rarely see movies in the theatre so this year was unusual, having seen two. The other was Fury Road and was better.
My kids requested viewing Blues Brothers again tonight.

I must be doing something right.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
The recent frame-by-frame reconstruction of the once thought lost-forever hand colorized version of A Trip to the Moon. Trippy. Available on youtube.
Metacell posted:
The recent frame-by-frame reconstruction of the once thought lost-forever hand colorized version of A Trip to the Moon. Trippy. Available on youtube.

Also on Netflix (or was)

Definitely worth watching. It's a real shame more of Méliès' movies aren't around.
Minions

Meh.

I think the minions were the best part of the Despicable Me movies, but aren't good enough to carry a whole movie.
user Stupid cockwomble
::says something that sounds mildly insulting in indecipherable gibberish French::
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Séamas posted:
Minions

Meh.

I think the minions were the best part of the Despicable Me movies, but aren't good enough to carry a whole movie.

I knew the first second I saw them that they were nothing but a character designed to make a good toy. There was no reason whatsoever to have them, except to package and sell them by the millions.
user Stupid cockwomble
Minions are cool.
Vulture 420
Kung Fury, a 30 min short currently on Netflix and hilarious, some scenes make seeing the whole movie worth it.
Braveheart (1995) Not supposed to be a comedy, but I laughed a lot. So many things wrong with the movie, apart from the historical. Far too long because it had so many slow dragged-out scenes. Some laughably bad dialogue. When I wasn't laughing I was cringing. The historical inaccuracies are too many to mention. I don't mind artistic license, but when it turns a drama into a comedy...
TOS
hateful eight ... wtf

spectre ... meh

being evel ... kind of interesting
Vulture 420
Hateful Eight, way too long and "dialogue" annoying. They sure do like that N word.
The Visit, M Night Shamalama still sucks, maybe worse than ever now.
Extraction, don't bother, I couldn't take it.
Inside Out

:up:

Pixar does it again
Spectre (2015) Dull.Mostly humourless. Lots of visual tags and settings probably as an homage to past Bond films. The train fight scene had a double homage to "Jaws".
I just saw Spectre as well. I liked the car chase and Monica Bellucci but not much else.
The script was Brosnan bad and had the most annoying intro credits song.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I watched Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone and Chamber Of Secrets last night.
user Stupid cockwomble
The first movie is the best - the only one worth repeating.
TOS
j_tso posted:
I just saw Spectre as well. I liked the car chase and Monica Bellucci but not much else.
The script was Brosnan bad and had the most annoying intro credits song.

i saw the whole thing as daniel craig's letter of resignation
TOS posted:
i saw the whole thing as daniel craig's letter of resignation

Craig's recent interviews sure give that impression.

But I just thought the last act was anticlimactic because Spectre is introduced as a room full of assassins and power figures, but then nothing. I would think if Bond blew up Blofeld's base there would be some KILL BOND order and we'd have an epic battle at the end.

I thought the same about Skyfall, so maybe an underwhelming ending is Sam Mendes's style.
Ribtor posted:
Becket (1964) Peter O'Toole and Richard Burton in their prime, as Henry II and Thomas Beckett. Takes plenty of liberties with detail but presents the root of the conflict between church and state.

Excellent film. You should follow it up with The Lion in Winter. Another O'Toole as Henry II film, with a stellar supporting cast.
justine posted:
I watched Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone and Chamber Of Secrets last night.

FTFY.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132 ... 195