Online now: Google [Bot], Metacell
dv
Inside Out.

Actually really good, I thought.
user Stupid cockwomble
Pixar continues to surprise.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Limitless

I liked the movie and now I'm looking forward to see where the TV show goes from there.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
That's also the last movie I saw. I liked it.
dv
Okay, so Jurassic World was a pretty awesome summer movie. But I'm not sure what it's trying to say. The original had a pretty clear "message" but this was almost like several very similar scripts with very similar plots and very different Aesops got smashed together.

And what was up with the assistant dying that way? That didn't feel good at all.
user Stupid cockwomble
MC cant write them any more.
dv
user posted:
MC cant write them any more.

Well, yeah. I figured that much.

It was the first or second gory action sequence, when Vincent D'Onofrio's character was acting all excited by what was going on.

I realized that even though I was supposed to dislike the supposedly villainous character, I couldn't. Something about the actor's delivery made me imagine his lines uttered by a ten year old audience member (Add guns! Have the Raptors fight the T-Rex!) and in that context it made complete sense. (Hey, we're cheering the same parts of the movie and rooting for the dinosaurs!) Which made him a lot less villainous.

Everything went downhill from there.

I also wasn't sure what to make of the eccentric billionaire. Like, is he just an eccentric billionaire? Or something more sinister?

Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Moonraker. Yep, it's a Bond movie. Q gives Bond a wrist gun, at almost every dangerous moment, the Love of My Life kept muttering, "Wrist gun. Wrist gun. Why doesn't he use the stick fiddling wrist gun?"
user Stupid cockwomble
Watch that last night too. Hulu's having a Bond festival.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Pithecanthropus posted:
Moonraker. Yep, it's a Bond movie. Q gives Bond a wrist gun, at almost every dangerous moment, the Love of My Life kept muttering, "Wrist gun. Wrist gun. Why doesn't he use the stick fiddling wrist gun?"

My guess would be due to limited ammunition.

I liked Moonraker, but it was not the strongest Bond movie made by far.
user Stupid cockwomble
I got annoyed that the pilot ran off in the woods when they sicced the dogs on her instead of jumping back in the cart she just drove up in.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
A History Of Violence. It's coming on tv now. I've seen it many times. I love it. I own it.
justine posted:
A History Of Violence. It's coming on tv now. I've seen it many times. I love it. I own it.

It's the last movie to have a VHS release.

That fact came from a very slow work day.
j_tso posted:
justine posted:

It's the last movie to have a VHS release.

That fact came from a very slow work day.

There's a useless piece of trivia i will probably remember forever. :)
Séamas Honorary Consul General
The Adventures of Robin Hood 1938
Always something we watch Thanksgiving weekend (forgot to watch the last Waltz this year).

It's a Gift
1933 WC Fields movie.
IMHO is in the top 20 comedies of all time.

Blues Brothers.
Also in that top 20.
I showed it to my kids for the first time last week, they requested it again last night. They are now quoting from it.

Last edited by Séamas on Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:35 pm.

DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
"We've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it!"
dv
Kingsman: The Secret Service

Funny.
TOS
dv posted:

Funny.

i found that bit about banal sex to be jarring and strange
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
TOS posted:
dv posted:

Funny.

That's what she said.
TOS
Geesie posted:
TOS posted:
dv posted:

Funny.

That's what she said.

you disappoint me, sir
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
That, also, is what she said.
juice Inadvertently correct
Geesie wins. As usual.
Geesie posted:
TOS posted:
dv posted:

Funny.

That's what she said.

I finally watched Maleficent. I liked it.
dv
justine posted:
I finally watched Maleficent. I liked it.

Oh, yeah - that one was good.
The Enemy Below (1957): if you aren't into submarines, and/or naval tactics, you would probably find this movie to be boring as hell. I am into those things, and absolutely loved this film, even though the ending is a little forced. Also, it was a major influence on the Star Trek episode "Balance of Terror."
Maleficent (2014).

What can you say about a movie which concentrates on the more interesting beauties from the Disney fairy tale catalog? Of course Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella are...pretty, in a generic way like nearly all such Disney princesses are but also like most are not particularly interesting. Even as a child when my parent took me to see the original Disney "Sleeping Beauty" during its second theatrical release in the late 1960s (I think), back then I was somewhat more intrigued by that Maleficent. Given the inherent beauty of Angelina Jolie in the title role here--which, if anything, was heightened by her added devil/bat-like additions--QUITE a number of buttons in my psyche were pressed while I watched this movie.

One of the trivia items on IMDB pointed out that the dialog for most of the christening scene in "Maleficent" was taken directly from the original Disney "Sleeping Beauty" (enough that in the closing credits a writing credit is given to those writers), although in the earlier film the last fairy who was interrupted by Maleficent in both was given the task of altering Maleficent's curse into the deep sleep which could be broken by a kiss (in "Maleficent" she simply never grants her blessing on Princess Aurora). Of course in the latter movie Maleficent HAS to deliver THAT line with the additional irony of "a true love's kiss" considered in light of the backstory that was told as a prelude to the christening.

Personally I think the movie MIGHT have been made a bit more interesting had King Stephen not devolved into such a tyrant so concentrated on his personal vengeance upon Maleficent that NOTHING else mattered. I guess that every fairy tale must have a clear villain.

Aside from that very minor quibble, don't hesitate to watch this film.

My understanding is that a Maleficent 2 is in the rumor mill, though not much aside from that proposed title has been set.
Ah, of course the closer parallel to Sleeping Beauty is Snow White ("Mirror, mirror, on the wall/Who's the fairest one of all?"). For some reason when I wrote the above THAT name wouldn't come to me.
The Spy Who Loved Me (1977) I think it's one of the better Moore Bonds. The Villain seemed a bit easy to kill but the tanker/submarine pen set was magnificent.

Ghost Rider (2007) I couldn't take my eyes off Eva Mendes' cleavage or Mr. Cage's hair piece. Was there anything else in that movie? I didn't notice.

Two Weeks Notice (2002) Sandra Bullock and Hugh Grant knock a Rom-Com out of the park as only they can. They make it look so easy. Probably because it is. Enjoyable enough.
Pithecanthropus posted:
The Enemy Below (1957): if you aren't into submarines, and/or naval tactics, you would probably find this movie to be boring as hell. I am into those things, and absolutely loved this film, even though the ending is a little forced. Also, it was a major influence on the Star Trek episode "Balance of Terror."

That Trek episode was a little too naval inspired.
I guess this was before photon torpedoes entered the setting, so the phasers exploded at a distance and were launched from a phaser room.
The Enterprise was able to detect the cloaked Bird of Prey and followed it as if it were a "sensor echo".
And worst of all, was "running silent" in space.
dv
j_tso posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:

I guess this was before photon torpedoes entered the setting, so the phasers exploded at a distance and were launched from a phaser room.
The Enterprise was able to detect the cloaked Bird of Prey and followed it as if it were a "sensor echo".

Given the distances involved, running silent in space would probably be actually useful.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
j_tso posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:

This is actually one of the better episodes, IMO. Yes, it was heavily influenced by sub warfare, but the idea of "going silent" would still apply in space - just not to audible sounds. The Romulan commander complains about a coded subspace radio transmission (which, while fictional, would be an example of violating silence) That is, in space, you would be concerned about RF/EM emissions, not audio.
But they were actually running silent by being quiet on board, Spock accidentally hits a button that turns on a beeping gizmo that gives them away.

Apparently I've seen that episode too many times, one of my favorites.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Not a movie, but…

A Very Murray Christmas

Silly stuff, worth a watch if you like Bill Murray, but it was kind of flat. Musical bits were hit and miss (more misses than hits imho)
Salt (2010) Great action, a wonderfully silly and obvious plot, and an awesome Ms. Jolie.

The Sands Of Iwo Jima (1949) "Lock and Load!!"
Séamas posted:
Not a movie, but…

A Very Murray Christmas

Silly stuff, worth a watch if you like Bill Murray, but it was kind of flat. Musical bits were hit and miss (more misses than hits imho)

We quit watching it after 23 minutes. I kept waiting for something really funny or interesting to happen, and it never did. Pass.
16 Candles. It still has it's funny parts, but Jake Ryan might s well be a lump on a log. No personality there.
Dan Airman Dan
Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Let's just say I'm glad I only paid $4 for a 9AM showing.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
Dan Airman Dan
Alexander Supertramp posted:
:(

I am apparently very much in the minority in that opinion. Also, I had a significant plot point spoiled for me by some jackass on Reddit, so that soured my experience as well.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131 ... 195