What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130 ... 195
Online now: Metacell, ukimalefu
TOS
Séamas posted:
What's strange to me is that it got such rave reviews--to me it was about the same as the previous couple.
I really liked his first movie, Bottle Rocket --mostly because the story was the primary focus and it was well told, The Wes-Anersonness of it was like it was in Rushmore--just there for the icing. His recent movies are ALL icing with no cake.

my fave of his by far is the royal tanenbaums
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Séamas posted:
A Clockwork Orange

I must have seen this at least a half dozen times, but probably haven't seen it in something like 20 years.
Seeing again now had a different impression on me. I think now I was a bit more disturbed by the almost seductive quality of the highly stylized violence --where when I was younger it just seemed cool in a way. I can see why people accused it of glorifying violence--especially the sexual assaults and sexual fantasies --all pretty much idealized.

I read the book way back when, and haven't decided on which message I really prefer.

I am glad you mentioned Clockwork. I read the book in my teens and enjoyed it but I think I have only ever seen the TV edit of the movie.
I need to see the full thing.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Pariah posted:
Séamas posted:
A Clockwork Orange

I must have seen this at least a half dozen times, but probably haven't seen it in something like 20 years.
Seeing again now had a different impression on me. I think now I was a bit more disturbed by the almost seductive quality of the highly stylized violence --where when I was younger it just seemed cool in a way. I can see why people accused it of glorifying violence--especially the sexual assaults and sexual fantasies --all pretty much idealized.

I read the book way back when, and haven't decided on which message I really prefer.

I am glad you mentioned Clockwork. I read the book in my teens and enjoyed it but I think I have only ever seen the TV edit of the movie.
I need to see the full thing.

I have a hard time even imagining a TV edit--there were 3-4 more nudity scenes (and scenes with erotic art) than I even remembered--and they are largely placed in important parts.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
They had to cut that movie to the bone to avoid an X rating.
user Stupid cockwomble
He said "bone".
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
cyclops posted:
Dallas Buyer's Club. As it was on SBS last night they've now released it on their catch-up service. Since Voltage started suing people I've always been curious as to whether it was actually any good. Its...alright I guess. Not bad but not good either. I can see why it was an epic fail at the box office.

Dallas Buyer's Club's box office numbers were $55 million worldwide on a $5 million production budget. That's hardly an epic fail.

Also, a very good and very well acted movie.
user Stupid cockwomble
It was interesting and surprising.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Watched Clockwork on Netflix, good stuff, holds up well.
It's a great movie, but apparently Burgess wasn't impressed with it. Kubrick aged up Alex, and changed a few key scenes that show his utter depravity ( in the movie he seduces two girls his own age in a record shop. In the book he drugs and rapes two ten year olds.) I suspect that Kubrick was pragmatic if enough to know that a strict adaptation could never be shown.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I just watched Tremors-5. Naturally it was awesome.
TOS
Warin posted:
It's a great movie, but apparently Burgess wasn't impressed with it. Kubrick aged up Alex, and changed a few key scenes that show his utter depravity ( in the movie he seduces two girls his own age in a record shop. In the book he drugs and rapes two ten year olds.) I suspect that Kubrick was pragmatic if enough to know that a strict adaptation could never be shown.

even the version he did make was banned in the uk for many years
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Pariah posted:

I have 1, 2 and 3. :D

Just watched Inside Out. Cute movie and pretty ingenious.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
justine posted:
Pariah posted:

I have 1, 2 and 3. :D

Just watched Inside Out. Cute movie and pretty ingenious.

Yes it was, I watch it a couple of days ago.
Bitter Lake (2015) BBC documentary By one of my favourites, Adam Curtis. Overly long. It tells in words, music and stark imagery the relationship between Afghanistan, America, Saudi Arabia and Britain starting at the end of WW2.

A flawed film that attempts to lay out for its audience complex geo-politics that the regular news media and the glib commentariat can't or won't attempt.

Mr Curtis gets a bit arty in this film, combining the style of "It Felt Like A Kiss" with "The Power Of Nightmares".
TOS
the 50-year argument (2014)

an absolutely wonderful hbo documentary about the new york review of books, charting its history, its many controversies and its place in the literary world

if you love books and authors and especially high-level debates you'll love this doc
juice Inadvertently correct
If I loved high level debate, do you think I'd come here? ;)
TOS
TOS
man from u.n.c.l.e.

not bad i guess ... getting kind of tired of that genre
Run Silent Run Deep (1958) Clark Gable, Burt Lancaster, Jack Warden, Don Rickles. About as formula as it gets.
Young Frankenstein :lol:
Probably my favorite Mel Brooks movies. I love the fact that my kids quote it--and never fail to make the horse whinny whenever someone says Blücher.

The Brain that Wouldn't Die :trollface:
This has a great sort of exploitation movie vibe to it. I love the fact that the scientist knows EXACTLY where to find a body for fiance's head: The strip joint.

Plan 9 From Outer Space :der:
This is really THE it is so bad it is good movie. I've seen movies almost or just as bad, but never as good in their awfulness.

Frankenstein :)
Always makes me wonder what the first audience thought when they saw the creature. This movie does have some awesome moodiness to it. The only shame I thought were the scenes with Dr Frankenstein's father. Seemed like comedy relief where it wasn't needed. Love the disclaimer at the beginning--something crappy movies would do a lot in the late '60s.

Mad Monster Party :D
Feature length Rankin-Bass stop animation monster flick. Late '60s vibe, design by Jack Davis from Mad Magazine. Got to love the giant hooters on the femme fatale character Franchesca

Re-Animator :derp:
Pretty standard 80s take on the Frankenstein / mad scientist making zombies movie. Great scene with a zombie cat.
Seven Doors of Death, aka The Beyond, a 1982 Lucio Fulci (of Zombie fame/infamy) flick for my Halloween weekend. It's a ghosts-and-zombies story filmed in Louisiana.

The second in the "Gates of Hell" trilogy, this movie was generally heavily cut or banned in initial releases due to it's excessive gore, but nothing in it is particularly realistic compared to The Walking Dead. Nevertheless, little today manages to match the unsettling seediness of early 80's "video nasties". I snagged an uncut re-release DVD that showed up at my thrift store. I sort of see Fulci as the poor man's Dario Argento (Susperia, Deep Red) who I would place on the same level as Cronenburg for movies with great scripts and psychological suspense in addition to the gore. Fulci's movies never reach that degree of literacy, but they do nevertheless have atmospheric cinematography and imagination that places them above the Friday the 13th slasher genre.

All told, it's not any mind-blowing cult classic, but it's a pretty and enjoyable grindhouse flick with plenty of gruesome and shocking imagery. Perfect for Halloween.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Séamas posted:
Probably my favorite Mel Brooks movies. I love the fact that my kids quote it--and never fail to make the horse whinny whenever someone says Blücher.
That movie is so good. I think it is the best Mel Brooks movie.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
obvs posted:
Séamas posted:
That movie is so good. I think it is the best Mel Brooks movie.

You could take Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles, and chuck the rest of his catalog, IMO.
juice Inadvertently correct
Spaceballs also.
No one likes "The Producers"?
Okay, we can keep the Producers, too (actually, I'd forgotten about it). I never really cared for Spaceballs.
Pithecanthropus posted:
Okay, we can keep the Producers, too (actually, I'd forgotten about it). I never really cared for Spaceballs.

Spaceballs sucked. Bad cast--.-or at least a cast that isn't cut out for his humor. Moranis and Candy are fine with the SCTV/SNL type of humor.

Other than Young Frankenstein, which was largely written by Gene Wilder, Mel Brooks movies have so-so writing and directing.
Their strength or weakness lies in the cast. If the movie doesn't have Wilder and/or Cloris Leachman, Madaline Kahn, it is probably sub-par.

1. Young Frankenstein
2. Blazing Saddles
3. High Anxiety (Cloris Leachman kills it --I put this one as a possible tie to Blazing Saddles)
4. The Producers
5. History of the World Part I

The rest, meh. He got worse and worse as he went along. I couldn't even bring myself to finish Men in Tights --(He did the Robin Hood thing better on the TV show "When Things were Rotten")
The 12 Chairs is better than History of the World Pt 1. Also, High Anxiety rules. The The Birds sequence is one of the funniest scenes ever made.

I have never seen Silent Movie, but it is rated very highly.
I forgot about Silent Movie. That is damn funny.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I just finished watching A Guy Thing with Jason Lee, Julia Stiles and Selma Blair. I love this movie! It's frickin hilarious! I was surprised to see it airing on tv after all this time.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Skyfall (finally!)
Hey, a really good JB! Javier Bardem plays an AWEsome psychopath! One of the best Bond Villains ever.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
I Smile Back

I don't really like Sarah Silverman and this doesn't change that, but it was interesting to see her do something other than her usual dumb human waste.

Also, for those who care, you get to see her boobs.
Last night Whiplash. Today, Spectre.

Whiplash was... WOW. So much intensity and chaos. Brilliant film with an amazing performance from JK Simmons. Though a little predictable. I totally called his attempt to screw over Andrew in the last performance.

Spectre was ok. Not the best Craig Bond but certainly not the worst. I thought Waltz made a spendid Blofeld. It's also nice to see M as a more active character.
jkahless Custom Title
Just finished Pacific Rim. Exactly what I expected, giant robits fighting giant monsters. Nothing really exceptional, just good solid mindless impossible action fun. A mix of ok and awful performances, but who watches movies like this for the acting?
Avengers: Age of Ultron. Watched about 20 minutes of a rental before deciding the movie was only worth watching for the non-stop 3D action effects. So I downloaded a 3D-able version and watched that. Meh...nice 3D effects, otherwise not as good as Thor 2.
Waiting for Guffman (1997) Another great mocumentary from Christopher Guest (as Corky St. Clair), and his ensemble cast. Lots of improvised dialogue.

My Dinner with Andre action figures...Remains Of The Day Lunchbox..."Nothing ever Happens On Mars" musical number...
Ribtor posted:
Waiting for Guffman (1997) Another great mocumentary from Christopher Guest (as Corky St. Clair), and his ensemble cast. Lots of improvised dialogue.

My Dinner with Andre action figures...Remains Of The Day Lunchbox..."Nothing ever Happens On Mars" musical number...

My single complaint about that movie was how good the pit musicians were, everything was in tune, with lovely timbre, and I know from thousands of hours of personal experience in pit bands that ain't the case.
Notice the trumpeter simultaneously playing the timpani?
user Stupid cockwomble
with his balls?
"Experiment in Terror" (1962).

I was channel-surfing and flashed onto Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and happened upon a scene with Lee Remick's face holding the screen for a bit. For reasons I cannot fully explain Remick had always been one of MY personal luminous beauties but it was interesting that I instantly recognized her in this movie--one of her earliest starring roles--despite differences in hair color and style that she usually had later in her career.

I also happened to catch it about 20 minutes into this 2-hour movie. Usually I would have checked to see if TCM would replay the movie later and record it on my DVR that way (and would not have bothered to have watched it if I could not watch from the start), but I was quickly captured by the first 5 or so minutes I saw and just started my recording there. Fortunately the story did not seriously suffer from my missing that first portion.

The movie is based on a popular novel, "Operation Terror", that was published in 1961. The authors also wrote the screenplay.

Remick plays Kelly Sherwood, a young bank teller living in San Francisco with her younger sister Toby (played by a 19-year-old Stefanie Powers who--while generically pretty--hadn't blossomed into her full beauty yet). In the novel (which apparently was unexplained in the movie, which might be seen as measure of the book's popularity) Kelly had inherited the home of her now-dead parents and she had gotten guardianship over Toby.

For reasons not entirely clear to me (perhaps explained in the part of the movie that I missed), Kelly Sherwood is targetted by a deranged mad man, Garland Humphrey 'Red' Lynch (played by Ross Martin). She had been getting phone calls from Lynch who more threatens the life of her sister (hence the entitled terror). Kelly turns to the police who bring in the FBI led by Agent John 'Rip' Ripley (played by Glenn Ford). Lynch had concocted a scheme where Kelly would use her position as a bank teller to steal about $100,000 in cash, though exactly when the transfer from Kelly to Lynch would happen remains in the air for much of the movie (and was part of the reason why the FBI persuades Kelly to play along). Along the way Lynch contacts Toby with a story that Kelly had been seriously injured, using that to kidnap Toby to help coerce Kelly to cooperate.

Most of the movie is a police procedural with the FBI building leads and tracking down clues (which includes a seemingly unrelated murder). The movie ends with the climax taking place at a night game in Candlestick Park where (uncredited despite some close-ups of various players) the Giants were playing the LA Dodgers (the Giants won the actual game, 2-1).

Apparently this movie is a treasure trove if you are a David Lynch fan and especially a fan of his "Twin Peaks" as there are many elements of that TV series which were drawn directly from this film (including the title "Twin Peaks").

Regardless of that (since I am not much of a David Lynch fan), this movie was interesting despite being rather dated. A nice bit of film-making by director Blake Edwards.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130 ... 195