Page: 1 ... 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127 ... 196
Online now: Bing (sucks), Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], Pariah
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Jurassic World

not as suspenseful as the original
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
Séamas posted:
Secret of Roan Inish
I saw this in the theater when it came out and thought my kids would like it--they did.
IMHO it is one of the more successful tellings/adaptions of a fairy tale in film. It is a bit of a mix of a scottish supernatural creature in a context of a storyline typical of western Ireland.

I loved that movie back in the day.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
The Man Who Never Was (1956 -- even though the opening credits clearly state it's from 1955, but whatever). A somewhat fictionalized, but very accurate telling of the story of Operation Mincemeat, in which false papers were planted on a dead man and fed to the Nazis stating that the invasion of southern Europe would happen in Greece instead of Sicily. It worked, too, Germany pulled a lot of men and equipment and moved it where they thought they needed them. The actual invasion of Sicily was easier as a result, and lives were saved.

How refreshing to see what is basically a spy movie that stays tense and engaging without car chases, martial arts, and whiz-bang tech. :up:
Pithecanthropus posted:
The Man Who Never Was (1956 -- even though the opening credits clearly state it's from 1955, but whatever). A somewhat fictionalized, but very accurate telling of the story of Operation Mincemeat, in which false papers were planted on a dead man and fed to the Nazis stating that the invasion of southern Europe would happen in Greece instead of Sicily. It worked, too, Germany pulled a lot of men and equipment and moved it where they thought they needed them. The actual invasion of Sicily was easier as a result, and lives were saved.

How refreshing to see what is basically a spy movie that stays tense and engaging without car chases, martial arts, and whiz-bang tech. :up:

Yes.

You might also like 5 Fingers (1952) with James Mason. Another essentially true WWII espionage story.
Ribtor posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:

Yes.

You might also like 5 Fingers (1952) with James Mason. Another essentially true WWII espionage story.

Thanks, I'll look it up.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Séamas posted:

Warriors
I love this movie.

Wow, I had forgotten about that one, went and watched about 20 minutes of it...mime gang!!
TOS
the goonies, on netflix

still fun, but pretty dated!
Conner Of Gallifrey
I watched Her a few days ago - was brilliant!
justine Elitist Beer Lover
TOS posted:
the goonies, on netflix

Always a great flick.
justine posted:
TOS posted:
the goonies, on netflix

Always a great flick.

The Goonies are good enough.
Vulture 420
Run All Night - good casting made it exciting, plus it being filmed mostly in Queens, NY with NYPD car chases and shootouts, it felt like home. Recommended if you are into sappy retired aging hit man scripts, of which there seem to be waaaaaay too many as if we all know at least 5 hit men in everyday life.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Ip Man and Man of Tai Chi.
Not bad for Kung-Fu movies I guess (since I have little to compare them to)
Keanu Reeves is pretty good as the Big Bad in Man of Tai Chi.
Both are sub titled and very predictable.
There is a cute scene in one of them where some guy tries to do "the Crane" move from "Karate Kid", and the hero just walks up and punches him in the nose. I lol'd.
The Core (2003) Amusing nonsense. According to Wikipedia this is a movie which inspired some Hollywood types to do a better job presenting science in popular films. I don't see the need but whatever.
Goin' South (1978) Jack Nicholson, Mary Steenburgen, Danny DeVito, Christopher Lloyd, John Belushi, Ed Begley jr. Some great dialogue. Nicholson is great at playing 'Nicholson' as he always seems to do.
Vulture 420
Terminator Genisys, despite my being down on the whole idea of rehashing the same story, it was really quite enjoyable.
Marathon Man (1976) I now see why Olivier's Szell is such an iconic bad man.
Finishing the trilogy: Back To The Future III. Not as bad as I remember it, although the ending is way hokey.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Cloud Atlas. And it was pretty good, too.
Conner Of Gallifrey
Vulture posted:
Terminator Genisys, despite my being down on the whole idea of rehashing the same story, it was really quite enjoyable.

I quite liked it as well - deserved to do better in theatres than it did.
TOS
Conner posted:
Vulture posted:

the fact that it makes no goddam sense might have played a role in that
TOS
watched the original iron man

still a neat flick, basically the template for all the marvel movies that followed
Vulture 420
TOS posted:
Conner posted:
Vulture posted:

the fact that it makes no goddam sense might have played a role in that

The plot holes make my head hurt, for sure. I'd like to hear the writers explain the seemingly blunt use of imaginative forward momentum against all logic in the plot.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Ex Machina.

This movie is a thing of beauty. Really.
Gray Lady Down (1978) Tedious.

Good Night And Good Luck (2005) A sermon on what TV news should be. Probably inspired Sorkin's The Newsroom. I read that some audience members felt that the actor playing Senator McCarthy was over the top and unbelievable. No actor was used; that was archive footage of the man.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
obvs posted:
Ex Machina.

I (gasp!) rented the dvd today, and now I have to go to work
Thanks for reminding me that I need to rip that.
Conner Of Gallifrey
obvs posted:
Ex Machina.

Agreed.
Ribtor posted:

Good Night And Good Luck (2005) A sermon on what TV news should be.

I really enjoyed that movie.
Hart's War (2002) Colin Farrell, Bruce Willis. Racial tension, murder and a courtroom drama all in one movie. Not bad at all.
sturner Ancient Soldier
Saw Jurassic World. Ok, more of the same. Better acting in parts. Better CGI.

Kingsman.

I liked this one. Really did. Samuel Jackson was a hoot!
Octopussy (1983) A good story ruined by an unconvincing villain (Louis Jourdan) and a bland Bond Girl (Maud Adams). I don't mind the tongue-in-cheek Roger Moore films and some of the train fight stunts were quite good, as was the Indian taxicab chase. "Q" riding in on a balloon was a bit much.
Not really a fan of any of the Moore Bond movies, Brosnon was better really.
The first few Connery movies are always fun but then it went downhill.
Craig's I've enjoyed a lot, the reboot works for me.
user Stupid cockwomble
They went for camp with Moore. Guess it worked for the 70s.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
As shark-jumpingly over the top as "You Only Live Twice" was, it at least provided us with our best known spy movie memes: the hollow volcano hide-out, the private army, the advanced technology employed in the goal of world domination, ect.
The Moore movies were, almost universally, post shark jump awful.
At least "Golden Gun" had Christopher Lee and the corkscrew car jump stunt (That some asshat totally fucked-up by accompanying it with a slide whistle sound effect); and the flying AMC Matador.
The only other Moore Bond I can tolerate is the mountain climbing assault scene in "For Your Eyes Only". As I recall, there was no dramatic music accompanying Bonds assent, which made it better.

Anyway, I like the other Bonds better than Moore.

And I can't believe were going down this road again ...
I just enjoy them as stand-alone light entertainment and not a series that has to live up to anything previous.

I met the builder and pilot of "Little Nelly", the autogyro in You Only Live Twice. He took my dad for a ride in a two seat version.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
The first four Moore movies are great. The Spy Who Loved Me is easily in the top 5 Bond movies period. Live and Let Die taps into the 70's blacksploitation awesomeness + Jane Seymour == ++good. The alligator scene alone is worth the admission price. The Man With the Golden Gun manages to cross Dracula with Fantasy Island with a Night Gallery ending. And as campy as Moonraker is, not being able to enjoy it indicates a basic failure at living.
Metacell posted:
The first four Moore movies are great. The Spy Who Loved Me is easily in the top 5 Bond movies period. Live and Let Die taps into the 70's blacksploitation awesomeness + Jane Seymour == ++good. The alligator scene alone is worth the admission price. The Man With the Golden Gun manages to cross Dracula with Fantasy Island with a Night Gallery ending. And as campy as Moonraker is, not being able to enjoy it indicates a basic failure at living.

Pretty much.

Moonraker was the only Bond film I saw in a theatre and as "bad" as it was, I enjoyed it. There's nothing about spy/adventure films that demands they take themselves seriously. I read that The producers of that film got special permission from Spielberg to use the tune from Close Encounters in exchange for Spielberg using the Bond theme in one of his films.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Some Teen Beach movie with the littles. Meh.

Home. That was cute. :)
Jupiter Ascending

This has to be based on a comic book, isn't it?

Anyway, not bad leaning to 'meh'. I expected to like it more because it's The Wachowskis and Sci-Fi/fantasy.
bratboy so sorry I schooled you
obvs posted:
Ex Machina.

Just watched this weekend. Really good. :)
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127 ... 196