What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125 ... 195
Online now: Metacell, ukimalefu
The Changeling (1980) George C Scott, Trish Van Devere. Traditional ghost story. Quite good.

The Eagle Has Landed (1976) Robert Duvall, Michael Caine, Donald Sutherland, Donald Pleasence, Anthony Quayle, Jenny Agutter, Treat Williams, Larry Hagman. German commandos raid an East Anglia village in an attempt to kidnap Churchill.
TOS
Ribtor posted:
The Eagle Has Landed (1976) Robert Duvall, Michael Caine, Donald Sutherland, Donald Pleasence, Anthony Quayle, Jenny Agutter, Treat Williams, Larry Hagman. German commandos raid an East Anglia village in an attempt to kidnap Churchill.

omg love that movie
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Ribtor posted:
The Changeling (1980) George C Scott, Trish Van Devere. Traditional ghost story. Quite good.

Very believable, very suspenseful bit of horror.
Hollywood Ending (2002) Woody Allen plays a neurotic film director who develops hysterical blindness on the set and has to finish the film without anyone knowing. Atrocious. Avoid. I watched it so you don't have to.

You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger (2010) Josh Brolin, Naomi Watts, Anthony Hopkins, Antonio Banderas, Gemma Jones. Not bad light drama dealing with various but connected stories. But not great.

Twelve Angry Men (1957) "Twelve Angry Men Inside Amy Schumer" prompted me to re-watch this classic. Recommended.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Monkey Business
The best part about watching this is hearing my son and daughter laughing their heads off. The Marx's dad came from Alsace. My MiL's grandfather (last name Marx) came from Alsace. I like to think my kids are distant relatives of Leonard, Arthur, Julius, etc.

Inglorious Basterds

What the hell is this crap??
Yea, Christolph Waltz is one hell of an actor, and the first scene is really very good, but WTF? I suspected it would be stupid, but it was surprised at how ridiculous it would be.
Tarrantino is one of those directors with great skill that just has no real concern about real human stories.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
I've generally liked Tarantino's movies, but I really did not like Inglorious Basterds.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
Where as, I generally think Tarantino's movies are just film student handjobs, but liked Inglorious Basterds.
user Stupid cockwomble
I saw it as a fantasy revenge film.
user posted:
I saw it as a fantasy revenge film.

I thought that of Django Unchained, which was only marginally better.
Just watched the 'new' red dawn movie. It was everything I hoped it would be. Man that movie was god awful.
user Stupid cockwomble
Carried on the tradition.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
mmaverick posted:
Where as, I generally think Tarantino's movies are just film student handjobs, but liked Inglorious Basterds.

This.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
The Imitation Game

:up:
Less Than Zero (1987) Nice to see Downey doing something without a stupid metal suit. Vapid 80's rich kids do coke in LA and one of them dies. That's about it. Robert Downey transcends the material.

Leviathan (1989) Amanda Pays. There may have been other actors; I wasn't looking.

Tinker tailor Soldier Spy. (2011) Gary Oldman, Colin Firth, Tom Hardy, John Hurt, Toby Jones. Second time seeing the film. After the 7 part BBC series and the book I was curious. Liked it even better this time around, though would still be baffling to an audience unfamiliar with the original story.
The Russia House (1990) A le Carre story. Interesting to see Connery, James Fox and Klaus Maria Brandauer together in a spy movie that isn't "Never Say Never Again". Also with Michelle Pfeiffer and Roy Scheider.

The Tailor Of Panama (2001) a Le Carre story done as farce and black humour. A wag-the-dog story with Pierce Brosnan, Geoffrey Rush and Jaimie Lee Curtis. Brosnan and Rush on the vibrating bed cooking up their scheme is hilarious.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Paddington. Not something i'd want to see more than once but it wasn't as awful as i was expecting.
Ghost Rider 2.

I enjoyed it. What can I say? It does that Superman II thing where he exorcises himself of the demon, but then realizes he needs to get it back to protect his friends. I got what I wanted from it...which was mostly a flaming skull-faced biker monster mowing down people with a burning industrial mining tractor. I mean...what more do you want from life?
jkahless Custom Title
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

Good, though the apes would have been cut down as they charged through an open street at entrenched positions. It would have been a WWI no man's land style bloodbath. However, it did give us chimps on horseback firing machine guns through explosions. So I can kind of forgive.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Children of Men.

It was a good movie, but people reference it a lot, so I was expecting more. It was worth watching, but I didn't think it was wonderful, just pretty solid.
Saturday Night Fever
I never saw this --other than clips--before now.

I was 10 when it came out and remember full well the hoopla and the non-stop airing of the soundtrack.
All I had back then was an AM transistor radio, and between this and the soundtrack to Grease a year or so later pretty much made me a person that cannot stand contemporary pop music.

I don't think I will ever get to the point where I can tolerate Grease, but the SNF music isn't nearly as dreadful to my ears now.

Anyway, I was REALLY taken aback by how dismal and foul the main character and his buddies are and how this movie seemed to resonate with people then.
Sure there is a hint at redemption at the very end of it, but by and large the main character is an annoying idiot who is happy being ignorant. When the one buddy fell off the bridge, I thought it was a good start, and hoped the other guys would follow.
bratboy so sorry I schooled you
matt posted:
Children of Men.

It was a good movie, but people reference it a lot, so I was expecting more. It was worth watching, but I didn't think it was wonderful, just pretty solid.

That movie is awesome for the effects alone
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Séamas posted:
Saturday Night Fever
I never saw this --other than clips--before now.

I was 10 when it came out and remember full well the hoopla and the non-stop airing of the soundtrack.
All I had back then was an AM transistor radio, and between this and the soundtrack to Grease a year or so later pretty much made me a person that cannot stand contemporary pop music.

I don't think I will ever get to the point where I can tolerate Grease, but the SNF music isn't nearly as dreadful to my ears now.

Anyway, I was REALLY taken aback by how dismal and foul the main character and his buddies are and how this movie seemed to resonate with people then.
Sure there is a hint at redemption at the very end of it, but by and large the main character is an annoying idiot who is happy being ignorant. When the one buddy fell off the bridge, I thought it was a good start, and hoped the other guys would follow.

A friend put it this way, "It's a movie about people yelling at each other, and then there's dancing."
Get Hard. I am so not a Will Farrell fan, but this movie is hilarious!
The Man with the Golden Gun (1974) In honour of the late Mr Lee. This movie has nothing to do with the Ian Fleming novel. The movie is much better than the book.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
The flying car was awesome. The southern sheriff, not so much.
The original Terminator from 1984. In a theatre! Next up in July? Jaws! Wheee!
Still the best one.
TOS
jurassic world

more fun than i expected, for sure, though deserving of the biggest opening weekend in the history of movies? i don't think so
The Babadook

Exorshtick meets Phantasm. Enjoyable but hardly matches the hype. Don't expect any explanations.
I watched Frozen and A Deadly Adoption this weekend.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Back To The Future.

It had been a while. I love that damn movie.

Of course, in the back of my mind I was remembering all the articles I've read dissecting that movie in minute detail, from wondering why Marty's parents wouldn't recognize the fact that their son looks exactly like the guy who brought them together, to pointing out that a car going 88 mph would travel well over 100 feet in a second and it would therefore be impossible to time the lightning strike, and it dawned on me that off all the articles I've read, not one nitpick has said, "#1. Time travel doesn't exist."
I remember thinking how smug Marty was and how I just didn't care if he succeeded. Nothing about time travel bugged me except the fading photo.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Jurassic World.
Fun but disappointing.
I was surprised to see it took 4 screen writers to concoct that weak script.
bratboy posted:

Was Deadly Adoption any good?
justine posted:
bratboy posted:

Was Deadly Adoption any good?

I found it humorous, although based on the ads for other Lifetime movies is seems like they're all basically half-parody to begin with.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Perhaps it is best not to get to know your adoptive baby's birth mother.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
Pariah posted:
Jurassic World.
Fun but disappointing.

A lot of times many screenwriters means the script needed help so more people were brought in for usually multiple rewrites.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Alexander Supertramp posted:
Pariah posted:
Jurassic World.
Fun but disappointing.

A lot of times many screenwriters means the script needed help so more people were brought in for usually multiple rewrites.

A shame the effort appears to have failed.
I enjoyed it as a mindless actioner but with a bit better writing, an actual plot and story line, it would have been better.
Another movie with a blockbuster's FX budget and a SyFy Original quality script.
Pariah posted:
Alexander Supertramp posted:
Pariah posted:
Jurassic World.
Fun but disappointing.

A shame the effort appears to have failed.
I enjoyed it as a mindless actioner but with a bit better writing, an actual plot and story line, it would have been better.
Another movie with a blockbuster's FX budget and a SyFy Original quality script.

I think maybe you should watch 2 headed shark attack or its like before equating Jurassic world to syfy
It couldn't have had a worse storyline than Jurassic Park 3, which just stitched together bits from the books that didn't make it into the other movies.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125 ... 195