What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121 ... 195
Online now: Google [Bot]
Just seen chappie and it was good despite a glaring plot hole
user Stupid cockwomble
You were supposed to fill it yerself.
Larry Crowne (2011) Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts.

Got bad reviews but I liked it.
user Stupid cockwomble
Thought I knew about all the Hanks movies.....I'll have to look into that one.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Saw Kingsman last night.

It's to Bond/spy movies what Hot Fuzz was to cop movies. I liked it.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
It Happened One Night. The very model for 99.89% of all romantic comedies to come after it. Great movie!
user Stupid cockwomble
The King's Speech. Wonderful movie.

I'd like to research the time to find out, if possible, what actually happened and what was drama. The story is totally new to me - but then, Americans are really only aware of Churchill. The King is a background figure in any WWII history that I've seen.
Journey to the Centre Of The Earth (1959) James Mason, Pat Boone, Arlene Dahl

Pure cheese plus Gertrude the Duck. Awful Scottish accents. Fun stuff.
user posted:
The King's Speech. Wonderful movie.

I'd like to research the time to find out, if possible, what actually happened and what was drama. The story is totally new to me - but then, Americans are really only aware of Churchill. The King is a background figure in any WWII history that I've seen.

For many in cabinet, the Royal Family was an inconvenient embarrassment politically and socially at the time. They had their uses but they were tightly controlled.
Freelancers (2012) 50 Cent, DeNiro, Forrest Whittaker, Dana Delaney.

Pretty bad. Every cliche in the good cop-bad cop book is here. If 50 cent can act, it's not apparent in this movie. DeNiro play his stock crime character. Whittaker does his shtick. Delaney has a tiny part.

At The Earth's Core (1975) Peter Cushing, some guy, Caroline Munro. So bad it's good. I found Ms Munro a bit overdressed in this film. Lots of 'steam-punk' before there was a name for it. Makes 1959's Journey to the Centre Of The earth look like Oscar material.
TOS
all that jazz (1979)

bob fosse's incredible self-portrait ... honest, unflinching, sometimes brutal

incredibly, there's a foreshadowing shot where he has chest pains while crossing a street

eight years after the movie came out he dropped dead of a heart attack while crossing a street
Ribtor posted:
...If 50 cent can act...

He can't.
TOS
Pithecanthropus posted:
Ribtor posted:
...If 50 cent can act...

He can't.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1TvqYNfhXpI
user Stupid cockwomble
TOS posted:
all that jazz (1979)

incredibly, there's a foreshadowing shot where he has chest pains while crossing a street

eight years after the movie came out he dropped dead of a heart attack while crossing a street
Young Man With A Horn (1950) Kirk Douglas, Hoagy Carmichael, Doris day, Lauren Bacall.

Fine story, great music. And Acting!
Ribtor posted:
Young Man With A Horn (1950) Kirk Douglas, Hoagy Carmichael, Doris day, Lauren Bacall.

Fine story, great music. And Acting!

Based loosely on the story of Bix Beiderbeck, a great trumpet player from Iowa who made it pretty big playing Chicago-style jazz. The movie and Beiderbeck's life differ in that Kirk Douglas doesn't drink himself to death at the end. Also, his piano playing buddy is played by Hoagy Carmichael, the composer of "Georgia On My Mind" and many other great jazz standards.
Modern Times (1936) Charlie Chaplin, Paulette Goddard.

There was so much I never understood in that movie when I saw it as a kid.
Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House (1948) Cary Grant, Myrna Loy. Fluff.

Mr Brooks (2007) Fair. Plot twists require considerable suspension of disbelief.
Johnny Dangerously (1984). I forgot how funny that fargin movie was. Highly recommended.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
TOS posted:
all that jazz (1979)

In 1979 my wife was 10 or 11.
She was CRAZY about dance, her dad loved going to see movies.
So he took my wife and her friend to see All That Jazz.

Hilarity ensued.

He never took any child to the movies ever again.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Pithecanthropus posted:
Johnny Dangerously (1984). I forgot how funny that fargin movie was. Highly recommended.

Some of my favorite lines are in that.

Marilou Henner looks great in that.
TOS
Séamas posted:
TOS posted:
all that jazz (1979)

In 1979 my wife was 10 or 11.
She was CRAZY about dance, her dad loved going to see movies.
So he took my wife and her friend to see All That Jazz.

Hilarity ensued.

He never took any child to the movies ever again.

omg that's too much
TOS
Pithecanthropus posted:

you better believe it, icehole
TOS
just finished watching "lenny", another bob fosse joint ... beautifully crafted biography of lenny bruce
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
The Last Day On Mars

First of all, it looks great, the props, the sets, IMHO, just great.

But it's a bad movie. A bad zombie movie. Fast zombies. Martian zombies.

Oh, and in the future, we'll use Logitech wireless solar keyboards on Mars. (by the way, they should call them "light powered", it's not like many people will use them outside, or next to a window)
National Treasure: Book Of Secrets. (2007) Nick cage, Jon Voight, Diane KRuger, Helen Mirren. What a mess. Un-clever and un-twisty, which is counter to the theme of these sorts of stories. Abysmal performances. I wonder if Ms Mirren was aware of just how awful the script was when she read the original paycheque.

Mr Skeffington (1944) Bette Davis, Claude Rains. Strange performance from Davis. A bit like jezebel; self centered woman gets redeemed at the end.

Monkey Business (1951) Cary Grant, Ginger Rogers, Marilyn Monroe, Charles Coburn.
A bit of fluff about a professor who tries to invent a youth serum but his lab chimp accidentally makes the successful potion. Hijinks and japery ensues. Rogers is particularly amusing. Directed by Howard Hawks.
Ribtor posted:
Mr Skeffington (1944) Bette Davis, Claude Rains. Strange performance from Davis. A bit like jezebel; self centered woman gets redeemed at the end.

Cpl. Max Klinger said:
I think I have what Bette Davis had in Mrs. [sic] Skeffington!

I read that while ms Davis loved Claude Rains, she was despised on the set of that film and someone even put poison in her eyedrops.
dv
Ribtor posted:

Back then, a lot of romantic comedies were about decent men fixing flawed women and living happily ever after. Hardly ever see that anymore. If the female lead changes at all, it's at the behest of her friends and/or some kind of self-discovery thing.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
And that's an improvement.
and on that line:

Breakfast at Tiffany's

As I'm more or less solidly in my middle age now (45), I guess I felt I should start embracing all the "classics" of my culture and history, in art, literature, and film, just so I can justify that I tried to take it all in and smell the roses and whatnot, although I agree with Noam Chomsky that most of the so-called "classics" aren't anything special other than the first of their genre to garner widespread awareness and approval, and aren't really any better than the other pop-schlock stuff that critics dismiss, so consume whatever you enjoy.

Anyway, I really wanted to watch Casablanca, but it's not available for streaming on Netflix, and this was the first in the "also recommended" queue. So I thought "What the hell, I've got laundry to fold."

Man, this movie is bizarre. These are supposed to be struggling socialites or something...and all I could think is how sumptuously they lived. That ratty NY pad would go for a few thou. And the writer guy who hasn't worked for years other than as a boy-toy for fairly attractive rich senator's wife or whoever. I mean, gosh, if this is down on your luck and awash in a world gone mad...and then I thought...oh, yeah, I'm glimpsing through the anthropological scope into a world of Hollywood mythology which fed on itself and both amplified and distorted reality. It also reminded me, that at one point, fine suits and evening gowns were the only sort of apparel anybody wore in America.

So, down the rabbit hole. The comedy...well it's not funny at all (and I love Blake Edward's Pink Panther movies), it's all sort of sad and off-kilter. I had to research that the Capote novel is really way more bleaker and hardcore, and I get the feeling that the people in this movie are basically like lower-upper class Romans...people who don't ever actually have to toil and work or anything, but for whom the ever-present threat of Plebian existence threatens to drown their star-studded cocktail party. I.e. courtesan prostitutes or royal guard types, not quite rich enough to lord it over anybody else.

Of course the Mickey Rooney role is offensively unfunny, it's been addressed elsewhere. This is of course, a solid white movie. Everyone smokes and drinks like a hobo off their methadone. It's insane. This was mainstream culture once.

So, while interesting, I'd have to say that as entertainment, it's sort of like some vile, excruciating torture...I found the characters false, ingenuine, unbelievable to the extreme, superimposed over this lap-of-luxury technicolor cinematography...the look of the movie is fantastic!

Then we get to that last 3 minutes, where she throws the cat out of the cab into the rain, where I'm thinking "Oh no you did NOT! I don't care how poorly you treat other people, but you do not do that to an animal!": the point where in real life, even if it was Audrey Hepburn, I'd be like..."I...HAVE...HAD...ENOUGH...OF....YOU!!!"

Although, to it's credit, that's what Peppard's character does, and it totally turns the movie around, because for about two minutes, it's this existential work of art...and it got me thinking...is this what love is really like? Underneath all the glitz and pretense, these cave people fought their instincts through the veneer of civilization long enough to make it stick?
Good thing those THE END credits come up quickly, because my next though was, good luck brother...the next day, she'll be just as crazy and just as wandersome.

Anyway, it did make me think and feel something, I guess that's why it's a "classic". From now on, I'm only watching the last three minutes though.
Holly Golightly was the manic pixie dream girl (or whatever the term is) of the 1960s. See also Barefoot in the Park.

You're right, if it weren't for the style and cinematography Breakfast at Tiffany's is a bit crap.
Oh a couple more observations...this was obviously supposed to be a very "adult" movie, though it seems to be mostly about adult addicts in denial acting very childishly. It reminded me of a far better adult love story from the year before, The World of Suzie Wong, in which no doubt is left that this is about prostitutes living in destitution, yet are much more mature in their world views.

Also, re: cinematography, it reminds me that once (and maybe still) Hollywood was primarily about putting pretty faces and scant outfits on the screen. Lots of it could be replaced by Elvis Presley and Ann Margaret doing musical numbers, except it would lack all the grotesque cultural weirdness because it would still represent a pop-reality I'm familiar with.
Bad movies don't deserve analysis. Sometimes some analysis informed by context can turn one's opinion around. Not for me; apart from Mancini's 'Moon River' I dislike the film.

Dangerous days, The making of Blade Runner (2007) A three hour ego trip for Ridley Scott and the art directors. There's some insight but it's fairly superficial. Mostly it's talking heads discussing how they overcame difficulty caused, and solved, by their own genius. There is deserved praise, and then there's just milking it.
dv
Metacell posted:
And that's an improvement.

It's less misogynist, maybe. Life doesn't work that way. The rest is a question of who you're selling to.
Well sure, there was a time when men had all the paychecks. Don't get me wrong, I'm not making any claim that Hollywood is choosing egalitarian scripts out of any sense of social duty.
Dune (1984) human waste from start to finish. I can't recall a worse movie. Was I supposed to be laughing when the villains said their lines? I think all the money went into the interior set design. None went to special effects.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Ribtor posted:
Dune (1984) human waste from start to finish. I can't recall a worse movie. Was I supposed to be laughing when the villains said their lines? I think all the money went into the interior set design. None went to special effects.

It does have Sting in a codpiece.
How do movies so bad get released?

I don't see how giving Lynch "final cut" would have improved on its serious flaws.

Basically the entire movie, which is supposed to be a drama, is imbued with utter ridiculousness from the costumes to the acting to the often barely audible whispered dialogue to the atrocious special effects to the "thought" voice-overs to the massive plot holes. And on top of all that, which might be forgivable in a Roger Corman cheapie, the thing was so boring and long.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121 ... 195