Online now: No visible users
user Stupid cockwomble
Quote:
Peter Dinklage: Hung

Man's getting typecast.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
At least he's playing more roles than "Christmas Elf" and/or "Leprechaun."
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Peter Dinklage was also in both of the Death At A Funeral flicks. :)

LOL i really need to proof my posts!

Last edited by justine on Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:31 pm.

Pinker?
Dinky Peter?
user Stupid cockwomble
They sure don't call him "Little Finger".
Oz The Great and Powerful.

Badly cast. Maybe it's me and with an ageist bias but I thought James Franco and Mila Kunis just didn't have the voice or charisma for their roles. At least the flat acting didn't overshadow the effects. Other than that I enjoyed it.

Over The Hedge.

Just more standard action and the same jokes and trite storyline for the genre.
TOS
whiplash

amazing movie ... very intense

very intense
Tootsie. I completely forgot that Bill Murray was even in that movie, it had been so long since I'd seen it last. What a great comedy.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Cloud Atlas.

I was so bored that I gave up after about a half hour.
matt posted:
Cloud Atlas.

I was so bored that I gave up after about a half hour.

You gave it that long?

I gave up about at the same point, but I continued watching for a bit longer because I thought it couldn't get worse (actually it really didn't, but it was simply VERY boring).
Moon (2009) Liked it. Reminded me of Space, 1999 for the sets and and Outland for the countdown clock. I think I'll watch Outland next.

The Shop Around The Corner (1940)A film I'd very much like to see as a play.
Outland is a brilliant film. Probably one of the best western to space translations I have ever seen. Other than some dodgy science. I need to find this movie and watch it again.
TOS
always loved outland ... should've done better than it did
The Departed (2006)

A bit much. Scorsese lays it on thick. All-star cast delivers.
Orion Mad Cow
Watched the new RoboCop movie last night. Pretty good. I watched the original and the TV show back in the day too. I wonder if they will do any sequels or shows based on the new movie?
dv
Orion posted:
Watched the new RoboCop movie last night. Pretty good. I watched the original and the TV show back in the day too. I wonder if they will do any sequels or shows based on the new movie?

I doubt it, I thought it kinda flopped - lost a lot of money.

It was alright. Not quite the same level as the first one though.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
The only thing I thought was an improvement was him outside his suit...really creepy. Sam Jackson was funny, but not as funny as the media reports in the original.
Kingsman.

A really good new angle on the British Spy trope. Quite enjoyable, what?
The Shining (1980) I can see why there's such debate over whether it's a ghost story or an exploration of madness. The fact that all the sets were built on a studio lot impressed me.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Ribtor posted:
The Shining (1980) I can see why there's such debate over whether it's a ghost story or an exploration of madness. The fact that all the sets were built on a studio lot impressed me.

why not both?

The Hotel was haunted and that makes the caretaker mad.

By the way, I watched The Shinning for the first time, some December 24th, starting at 11:00 pm. I kid you not. Merry Christmas.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I was lucky enough to see it in a theater. It's one hella-good freaked out fuckin' movie.

Also, the book will keep you up at night. Seriously. That scene with the wasps ... *shudder*
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Almost Famous
I just didn't buy into some of the main characters--especially the "mistique" of the guitarist.
I stopped caring about 3/4 the way through and kept wondering when it would end.
Funny how a guy (cameron Crowe) who experienced all this type of stuff would create something that just rings so hollow.
Par for course IMHO--the only think he was ever associated with that I cared for t=was "fast Times" but of course he didn't direct.
he's really big on trying to make characters speak big omen-like statements. They catch on with a lot of people, but they always miss with me.

Das Boot
Finally managed to watch this (it comes off netflix today I think).
Really well done, and though it is 3.5 hours and has long stretches showing the boredom of life on the U-boat, it doesn't really drag. The reputation for it being claustrophobic is well deserved.
It also is excellent from an American perspective--as I am so used to Germans being almost faceless guys in helmets in most WWII movies.
This brings a humanity to the fore--you know going in that most of these guys are totally doomed.
I guess they had it coming from bombing Pearl Harbor. :shifty:
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
The Evil Dead. The one with Bruce Campbell in it.

It's the cheesiest!
I took my ma to see the musical last Halloween.
Robocop (2014): It's almost a shame that they called it "Robocop," and it's obvious that the studio had its hand in that decision. Remove OCP and the name Alex Murphy and you've got a whole new movie, similar to Robocop 1987 in story (cybernetically enhanced police officer), but different. The old one had Murphy rediscover his personality and humanity, the new one keeps it intact.

Anyway, it was much better than I was expecting.
dv
matt posted:
The Evil Dead. The one with Bruce Campbell in it.

It's the cheesiest!

There are two Evil Dead movies (Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2) with Bruce Campbell in them.

2 is sort of a remake of 1, and sets up for Army of Darkness.
There's also a remake, without Bruce Campbell/Ash, and coming soon a TV series, with.
Orion Mad Cow
Pithecanthropus posted:
Robocop (2014): It's almost a shame that they called it "Robocop," and it's obvious that the studio had its hand in that decision. Remove OCP and the name Alex Murphy and you've got a whole new movie, similar to Robocop 1987 in story (cybernetically enhanced police officer), but different. The old one had Murphy rediscover his personality and humanity, the new one keeps it intact.

They did remove his humanity before the press conference where he was introduced. He gained it back when his wife was yelling at him in the parking lot and he started looking into his own murder. Remember the doctor saying "He's undoing what we did to him!"?
Orion posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:

They did remove his humanity before the press conference where he was introduced. He gained it back when his wife was yelling at him in the parking lot and he started looking into his own murder. Remember the doctor saying "He's undoing what we did to him!"?

Yes, but 1987 Robocop had to work to find out he was Alex Murphy, 2014 Robocop knows who he is. I thought it was an interesting tack to take. Too bad they didn't explore & develop it as much as they could have.
Blade Runner.

Ok. Not great. I was a big Sean Young fan and I think she's the best part of the movie.

I don't get what all the fuss is about.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Ribtor posted:
Blade Runner.

Ok. Not great. I was a big Sean Young fan and I think she's the best part of the movie.

:eek:

wait... :squint:

what version did you watch....?

never mind, you must be a replicant.
ukimalefu posted:
Ribtor posted:
Blade Runner.

:eek:

wait... :squint:

what version did you watch....?

never mind, you must be a replicant.

Yeah, which version? The original? The workprint prototype version? The San Diego sneak preview version? The US theatrical release? The international theatrical release? The US broadcast version? The director's cut? The extended version? The extended director's cut? The ultimate unedited in any way version? The ultimate unedited director's cut?
I saw whatever was on the original VHS release, which is what I have.

It's an OK film and I find it hard to believe that some tweaks will turn it into the masterpiece I've been told it's supposed to be.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
It's true.
Remove the stupid over-dub, replace the dream sequences, and suddenly you're presented with the questions; Is Deckard a replicant? Do Deckard and Rachael live happily ever ... uh, five years? Huh?
It's those ever-lingering questions that have elevated Blade Runner from cult-classic to Sci-Fi Masterpiece.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
DukeofNuke posted:
It's true.
Remove the stupid over-dub, replace the dream sequences, and suddenly you're presented with the questions; Is Deckard a replicant? Do Deckard and Rachael live happily ever ... uh, five years? Huh?
It's those ever-lingering questions that have elevated Blade Runner from cult-classic to Sci-Fi Masterpiece.

It is flat out stated that the five year thing was a fail-safe, to prevent the replicants from taking over. It believe was heavily implied that Rachael was a sort of prototype, and that she may not have the same fail-safe.

God I love that movie...
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
That Voight-Kampf test of yours. Have you ever tried to take that test yourself?
Ribtor posted:
Blade Runner.

YANA. I never thought it was that great. Videodrome was better.
Vulture 420
K-PAX, the one movie that links Frank Underwood and Jesse Pinkman.

Actually there is an actor from The Wire in the beginning, so it's like watching Breaking Bad AND The Wire.

Last edited by Vulture on Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:39 pm.

Orion Mad Cow
Watched "The Woman in Black" last night. The ending kinda sucked, but otherwise it was pretty good.
Mission To mars (2000)

What a mess. Great sets. Atrocious dialogue. Laughable, even.

Avoid.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120 ... 195