Online now: Google [Bot]
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
user posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:
ukimalefu posted:
user posted:
ukimalefu posted:
user posted:
Just picked up "Woodstock" on Blu-ray. Playing along with Joe Cocker on my Big Briar Etherwave.

stick fiddling F.

Ok, that's really a thing. You actually have a moog theremin? and you can play it? that's awesome, but I don't believe you :p .

I've got two of them. Moog Music is just down the road from me. My Pro is valuable so it tends to stay put away. The Big Briar is small and easy to set up, so I fool around with it more.

ukimalefu posted:
And it's Woodstock, you should play along with a guitar, acoustic or electric, any kind is ok.

I did that, too!

Gimmie an F!

whoopee were all gonna die!

So you have a theremin, that's cool. I do believe you, but I think we all want to see video of you playing the Star Trek theme music. :D

Having performed on stage with a Theramin, I can say that it is a terrible, terrible instrument unless it is in the hands of a master. The best place for a Theramin, IMO, is at the bottom of a river. To hear what a Theramin is supposed to sound like, and to hear its true potential, check out Clara Rockmore. Ho-ly human waste!!

And it's not a Theramin on the Star Trek Theme, it's a soprano named Loulie Jean Norman.

Pamelia Kurstin

I just had to pause the video to come and post this:

OMG! DAT BASSLINE!
Oh yeah, movies.

Cold comes the night

Uhm... Russian Walter White vs the SuperMILF. Sort of...

Bryan Cranston and Alice Eve (with an american accent)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2511428/

not bad, not great
user Stupid cockwomble
ukimalefu posted:
user posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:
ukimalefu posted:
user posted:
ukimalefu posted:
user posted:
Just picked up "Woodstock" on Blu-ray. Playing along with Joe Cocker on my Big Briar Etherwave.

stick fiddling F.

Ok, that's really a thing. You actually have a moog theremin? and you can play it? that's awesome, but I don't believe you :p .

I've got two of them. Moog Music is just down the road from me. My Pro is valuable so it tends to stay put away. The Big Briar is small and easy to set up, so I fool around with it more.

ukimalefu posted:
And it's Woodstock, you should play along with a guitar, acoustic or electric, any kind is ok.

I did that, too!

Gimmie an F!

whoopee were all gonna die!

So you have a theremin, that's cool. I do believe you, but I think we all want to see video of you playing the Star Trek theme music. :D

Having performed on stage with a Theramin, I can say that it is a terrible, terrible instrument unless it is in the hands of a master. The best place for a Theramin, IMO, is at the bottom of a river. To hear what a Theramin is supposed to sound like, and to hear its true potential, check out Clara Rockmore. Ho-ly human waste!!

And it's not a Theramin on the Star Trek Theme, it's a soprano named Loulie Jean Norman.

Pamelia Kurstin

I just had to pause the video to come and post this:

OMG! DAT BASSLINE!

I've seen her demonstrate how to do that in Asheville, NC. It's quite innovative. She's formally trained as a bassist. She worked with Robert Moog on the design of the Etherwave Pro. While I looking for that clip, I found a reference that she performed on the remake of "The Day The Earth Stood Still".

She met Clara Rockmore one day and performed for her. Clara said that she "gets it".
Wet Hot American Summer (2001) Does not deserve its cult following. Rudd and Garafalo have one funny scene. But there's some names in the movies like Elizabeth banks and Brad Cooper among others for the curious.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
ukimalefu posted:
And here's the Star Trek theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0zQHNmz0gU

I never said it couldn't be played on a Theremin. But the original is not, it's a human singer.
Pithecanthropus posted:
ukimalefu posted:
And here's the Star Trek theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0zQHNmz0gU

I never said it couldn't be played on a Theremin. But the original is not, it's a human singer.

And I never said you said that. :p
My Favorite Year (1982)

Never disappoints.

"Ma! He's an actor, not a river!"
Taras Bulba (1962) Yul Bryner, Tony Curtis

Yul Bryner being about as 'Yul Bryner' as he can get. Cheesy and entertaining.
Music and Lyrics (2007).

I admit I like romantic comedies. I like Hugh and I like Drew. Very little happens and what does happen is predictable, and I'm fine with it. Not everything has to be twisted or ironic.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Ribtor posted:
Music and Lyrics (2007).

I admit I like romantic comedies. I like Hugh and I like Drew. Very little happens and what does happen is predictable, and I'm fine with it. Not everything has to be twisted or ironic.

It's not necessarily a romantic comedy. Maybe a romantic dramedy, but have you seen PS I Love You? That's at the top of my list.
justine posted:
Ribtor posted:
Music and Lyrics (2007).

It's not necessarily a romantic comedy. Maybe a romantic dramedy, but have you seen PS I Love You? That's at the top of my list.

Haven't seen those. Just wanted to say I like Pleasantville. A lot. That's is all.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
I'm not all that worried about it. If the creators want them to be in a relationship, then it's silly to argue contrariwise. It just wasn't overly obvious from the clips shown IMO, and I thought that was actually probably a good thing - indicative of solid, mature writing.
radarman posted:
I'm not all that worried about it. If the creators want them to be in a relationship, then it's silly to argue contrariwise. It just wasn't overly obvious from the clips shown IMO, and I thought that was actually probably a good thing - indicative of solid, mature writing.

wrong thread :p
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Jupiter Ascending

Sponge Bob was sold out...
user Stupid cockwomble
I actually want to see that Sponge Bob movie.
justine posted:
Ribtor posted:
Music and Lyrics (2007).

I've not seen it. I recently Watched "An Affair To Remember" (1957) and it struck me how a 2 hour film with overly long scenes of quiet dialogue, no overt sex, no vulgarity and no action can hold an audience's interest. It's because of Carey Grant and Deborah Kerr.

It's a film for a mature, adult audience where the words mature and adult refer to people who do their taxes, balance their cheque books, actually clean their walls before painting them, and play chess or bridge with their dinner guests.
How about Love Affair?
justine posted:
How about Love Affair?

The re-make of the original story with Warren Beatty and Annette Benning; I saw part of it many years ago and got bored and didn't finish. I have not seen the original 1930s film.
Anzio (1968) Sometimes I tolerate this film and sometimes I hate it.

There's something about late 60s and early 70s WWII movies that just don't work for me.
Ribtor posted:
justine posted:
How about Love Affair?

The re-make of the original story with Warren Beatty and Annette Benning; I saw part of it many years ago and got bored and didn't finish. I have not seen the original 1930s film.

I don't recall ever seeing the original but i did like the Beatty-Bening version.
This Is Spinal Tap again. I love that movie, and I actually picked up a joke I'd never noticed before, when they were talking about a gig they had on the Isle of Lucy.
The American Astronaut (2001) Not my taste in space western musicals.
5 Fingers (1950) James Mason plays the most self assured and arrogant spy imaginable. A fanciful account of the true story of a famous spy who may or may not have been a British double agent. The source material for the film is a book written by the German embassy attache responsible for running the spy.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Pithecanthropus posted:
This Is Spinal Tap again. I love that movie, and I actually picked up a joke I'd never noticed before, when they were talking about a gig they had on the Isle of Lucy.

That was one of the first DVDs I ever purchased.

In a similar vein, I just watched Airplane!.
That movie always works for me. The greatest thing the writer/directors did was the casting. Having those deadpan, gravely serious actors do those parts was an inspired call.
The "don't call me Shirley" line wouldn't be anywhere near as funny if it wasn't done in such a serious tone.
Similarly, the whole plot has nothing funny about it at all. It is a verbatim copy of a 1950's adventure drama. With awful puns and dumb jokes. Still, always funny as hell.

I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Séamas posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:

That was one of the first DVDs I ever purchased.

In a similar vein, I just watched Airplane!.
That movie always works for me. The greatest thing the writer/directors did was the casting. Having those deadpan, gravely serious actors do those parts was an inspired call.
The "don't call me Shirley" line wouldn't be anywhere near as funny if it wasn't done in such a serious tone.
Similarly, the whole plot has nothing funny about it at all. It is a verbatim copy of a 1950's adventure drama. With awful puns and dumb jokes. Still, always funny as hell.

I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

It's in the same vein as

and

All of which I laughed so hard during I nearly hurt myself.
A Good Year (2006) Russel Crowe, Marion Cotillard, directed by Ridley Scott.

Pleasant frolics in Provence. Quite a change for Mr Scott and Mr Crowe.
Doom (2005) I wasn't expecting much, and the film delivered even less. It was so boring I didn't bother making it past halfway.
The Maltese Falcon and Key Largo

TCM ran these back to back. I don't think it gets any better.
user Stupid cockwomble
12 Monkeys. I was started to watch the TV series and decided to watch the movie. Love Brad Pitt in that role.
jkahless Custom Title
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.

Meh. Uninspired cinematography, somewhat forced editing, and sanitized violence leave it wanting.
user Stupid cockwomble
Yeah, caught most of the first movie lately and it was certainly a teen flick. Sanitized violence and LOVE WINS THE WAY.
jkahless Custom Title
The irritating thing is, the first book was excellent. (The second was ok, and the third was bad) There was a lot of potential for good films.
The Asphalt Jungle (1950)

Great study in caper/betrayal/sleaze noir.
Mr. Peabody and Sherman

5/10. Cute, but way too many butt jokes, and not enough charm. The thing about the original is that it was funny to children and adults, the movie could be funny to children, I suppose, but I think I chuckled only 3 or 4 times.
user Stupid cockwomble
They didn't have adult writers.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Pithecanthropus posted:
Mr. Peabody and Sherman

5/10. Cute, but way too many butt jokes, and not enough charm. The thing about the original is that it was funny to children and adults, the movie could be funny to children, I suppose, but I think I chuckled only 3 or 4 times.

Yeah, we watched that over the weekend. My kids were fine with it, but they don't know the old Jay Ward cartoon.
I too found it totally charmless and really didn't care for the story they were using as the plot.

I know it is pedantic, but one of the things that was moving the plot was the fact that Sherman was able to know myth from fact in regards to the Washington/Cherry tree story, so I thought the writers would run with that, only to bring us to renaissance Florence where Leonardo is referred to as "Mr. DaVinci".
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Pink Floyd's The Wall

One of Roger Eberts all-time favorite films, and probably the pinnacle of humankind's Rock and Roll civilization (RIP). A moving and spiritual experience coupling among the greatest sounds and images ever conceived, probably more relevant now than when it was made. And while I'd say that The Beatle's Yellow Submarine is probably tonally and imaginatively superior, this has sharper teeth and a stronger story...one that we all share. How many rock opera's also have a dual function as Freudian/Jungian psychotherapy? Well, I'm going to go out on a short limb and say the record is still waaaaaay better.

Other movie's I've seen recently:

The Ward, (2010), directed by John Carpenter. I've always liked John Carpenter's movies, so I was kind of intrigued to discover this movie existed as I'd never heard of it. After watching it, I can see why. It's not a bad bad movie, and any Carpenter aficianado should still watch it. It's attempting a high-minded Hitchcock-ian plot, but it's executed like so many of today's teen horror movies, without the depth and scope to carry it off. It's also missing a seminal suspense prerequisite: a John Carpenter soundtrack. His Masters of Horror entries are superior (in fact, they're great).

Tales That Witness Madness, a 1973 British anthology film (ala Tales From the Crypt) starring Donald Pleasance, Kim Novak, and Joan Collins, among others. It's a film I saw when I was very young. I think my dad took me to see it on a double bill with Nightmare in Blood when I was six years old. No wonder my poor twisted brain writhes in agony with every conscious moment. Anyway, it's...not that great. But it is definitely surreal in that way that late 60's and early 70's horror movies, and virtually nothing else in the cosmos, are. Count Yorga Lives!
ukimalefu posted:

About a 6/10 for me. On the plus side: Summer Glau and Peter Dinklage. On the minus side: a giant rubber monster. And the thought I was left with: wow, LARPers really exist.

Also watched the original Robocop last night, that's an 8/10 for me. Great film. I almost watched the new version right after for comparison/contrast, but decided against it.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119 ... 195