dv
Pithecanthropus posted:
dv posted:
DEyncourt posted:
dv posted:
A Million Ways to Die in the West.

And...?

You liked it? Didn't like it?
"I thought it got repetitive and predictable after the first 10 or so minutes when a setup derived from one of the great old Westerns paid off in an unexpected (well, for those 10 minutes) manner"?
"I do recommend it because I was mildly amused even though I hate Seth MacFarlane's other stuff"?
Just a :lol: or a :shrug:, perhaps?

Mind you: I have not seen this movie and so all of the above should NOT be read as reviews.

Sure, technically dv's post fulfills the literal theme of the thread: he has named the last movie he has seen. But implicit is the request for at least a short review, even if it is in the form a single smiley.

If you like Seth McFarlane's sense of humor, you'll like the movie.

So then, there's a section when someone hits their knee or something and goes, "Oooh, oooh, oooh..." for ten minutes?

No, just a lot of only-sane-man human waste and not-quite-funny black humor.

Nobody told Liam Neeson that it was a comedy, though.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Madea's Witness Protection :)
The Imitation Game. Great performances from the whole cast. A compelling story. It was a great movie. I bet Cumberbatch gets an Oscar nod for his performance as Turing.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Predestination. I rather liked it. I enjoy Ethan Hawke's taste in sci-fi, as I did Gattaca.
user Stupid cockwomble
Uma's worth doing.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Pithecanthropus posted:
user posted:
I hated the limited channels and thought the old movies were odd.

What was up with all the fedoras?

JFK was the first president to run around without a hat on, at that point the Fedora immediately lost a lot of its popularity.

I think it was a generational thing, not so much that JFK started a trend, he was just an example of it.
(Ike rarely wore a hat in public either.)

My dad was just about the same age as Kennedy, and he never owned or wore a hat --going back to before JFK was president.
Photos in his album all through the late '40s and '50s, the only guys wearing hats were the ones a good ten + years older than him.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
There wasn't as much shade prior to the post-war period.
user Stupid cockwomble
It surprises me because I find hats to be such a practical item. I'm rarely without a topper of some kind. A girlfriend made me a couple of sleeping caps so I even have something on my head at night.

I've taken to wearing a bike toboggan at work. It's difficult to find good caps - guess I'll have to mail-order.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
user posted:
It surprises me because I find hats to be such a practical item. I'm rarely without a topper of some kind. A girlfriend made me a couple of sleeping caps so I even have something on my head at night.

I've taken to wearing a bike toboggan at work. It's difficult to find good caps - guess I'll have to mail-order.

If I am outside I have a hat on, keeps the glare off the glasses. My standard headgear is a plain, black ball cap.
It is kind of a challenge to find caps with nothing printed on them.
Pariah posted:
user posted:

If I am outside I have a hat on, keeps the glare off the glasses. My standard headgear is a plain, black ball cap.

At a local mall there is a ballcap shop that specializes in making custom caps or other headgear for "your" team or bulk orders of caps with professional team logos on them. I haven't asked but I'm pretty sure that any similar store close to you would be willing to sell you a few caps without anything on them.

Ah, the company is Lids.com and they even have a page with "Blank Hats and Plain Caps". They are nationwide and have this store locator page.
I used to have a Lids rewards card. :)
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Gone Girl.

fiddlesticks.
TOS
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Pariah posted:
My standard headgear is a plain, black ball cap.

Same here.

wait... isn't this the movies thread... ? Image
user Stupid cockwomble
Well, ysee, there's this movie, Men With Hats....
TOS
oblivion

great visuals, pretty good acting, nonsensical plot ... same guy who did the recent tron movie, which rather makes sense
TOS
just finished american sniper

competently directed and acted, of course, but jeesh ... really missed an opportunity to talk about war, its horrors and the human cost of it

instead it's just another rah-rah flag-waving recruitment tool
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Clint Eastwood . Whadidya 'spect?
TOS
so "sniper" has now had the biggest opening weekend ever for a january release, and the biggest box office for a clint eastwood movie

i guess he hit a nerve with this one
Baby Mama. (2008) Very light comedy. Too light and watered down. Fey and Poehler are better than this.
user Stupid cockwomble
I think it was their breakout from SNL. I bet it was watered down for them in an attempt to safely reach the larger, non-stoned audience.
user Stupid cockwomble
TOS posted:
so "sniper" has now had the biggest opening weekend ever for a january release, and the biggest box office for a clint eastwood movie

i guess he hit a nerve with this one

The basic idea of a sniper being a hero gives me the creeps.
Just work on your stoic squint. You'll get there.
X-Men: Days of Future Past
By the way, the best movie about snipers ever is:

Enemy at the Gates

(no, I haven't seen the one you're talking about)

Last edited by ukimalefu on Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:15 pm.

user Stupid cockwomble
They need to make one about that Russian babe sniper.
Vulture 420
Inherent Vice, American Sniper, Birdman, Fury, The Gambler, Whiplash, and A Most Wanted Man. They were all great movies.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
The French Connection
I've seen it years ago, but it still holds up--though I had forgotten about how much of a bigoted prick Popeye was.
I told my 10 year old son (a fanatic about the NYC subways) about the famous chase. I just mentioned the two subway stops named and what placard the train had (N).
He instantly said that it makes no sense, as those stops are on the D line and that back then it was the B.
I looked this stuff up the night before and of course, he was 100% right (the director wanted a clean train and the MTA only had clean N trains at the time).
For an added bonus my son named the Model number of trains that were in service on those lines in 1970.
He is a bona fide train geek. I've seen the adult versions at the transit museum--it isn't pretty.

Frozen My second time seeing this, but the first was at an outdoor screening so it was hard to pay attention. I thought the story was told very well, and the music was largely good. I think the thing that made the music such a hit was that it really steps away from typical Disney musical stuff and seems more influenced by pomp rock or something.

Sleeping Beauty To me this seems like a couple steps down from Snow White, Dumbo and Pinochio in terms of the animation. The movement is far less naturalistic, as are the colors. To me it looked like Disney was making the move to the more simple and flat animation style they did in the 60s. I was surprised to learn that this was one of their most expensive efforts of the era. I think the story was a mistake for Disney. Too many similar elements to Snow White and Cinderella. i thought the pace was slow and the voice track was badly recorded.
Vulture 420
DEyncourt posted:
Pariah posted:
user posted:

At a local mall there is a ballcap shop that specializes in making custom caps or other headgear for "your" team or bulk orders of caps with professional team logos on them. I haven't asked but I'm pretty sure that any similar store close to you would be willing to sell you a few caps without anything on them.

Ah, the company is Lids.com and they even have a page with "Blank Hats and Plain Caps". They are nationwide and have this store locator page.

I have long, luxurious hair, so I never wear hats.

Enemy, with Jake Gyllenhaal, and Frank with his sister. Both rather enjoyable and intentionally challenging in their own ways. Maggie Gyllenhaal is good at playing a mean, dry, angry, crazy uncouth individual.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Séamas posted:
Frozen My second time seeing this, but the first was at an outdoor screening so it was hard to pay attention. I thought the story was told very well, and the music was largely good. I think the thing that made the music such a hit was that it really steps away from typical Disney musical stuff and seems more influenced by pomp rock or something.

Frozen is the first Disney feature film for kids that is even remotely close to being complex. It even turns the usual Disney tropes about the 'Prince charming' on their heads, which I found refreshing. I was pleasantly surprised by the climax, where I feared they would replace one outdated trope with another.

Compared to some of the drivel we have seen out of the Disney animation wing, it was pretty solid. Not Pixar solid, but still.
Divergent.

In a post-apocalyptic world the survivors are eeking out a living in the remains of Chicago. For over 100 years they have done so by having a very stratified society in which upon reaching about 16 years old the members must choose which group they will join after taking a Test which "determines" which group will be best for them (strictly speaking there are no rules which require that people choose that selected group, it is understood that nearly everyone does so). I forget the groups' titles, but the 5 factions are the intellectuals, the service providers, the farmers, the lawyers and the police/military. By agreement the leaders are selected from the service providers. There is also a sixth group--the Factionless--which people are forced into should they wash out of the group they chose for whatever reasons, and is undesirable because the Factionless barely live in the margins of this resource-poor society.

(As is the fashion nowadays) the heroine--Beatrice Prior (played by Shailene Woodley)--is up for her time of testing. She assumes that--like most people--she will choose to join her parents who are in the service provider faction as will her twin(?) brother, but she is uncomfortable with the idea because she can see that her brother is a natural at doing the service providers jobs while she is not. The Test involves the testee being placed into a simulated reality in which she must overcome whatever challenges are brought to her while being monitored by a test-giver. At the end of Beatrice's Test the test-giver quickly whispers to her that she must NOT tell anyone what happened to her during her Test, including her parents. When Beatrice demands that she be told which Faction would be best for her, her test-giver tells her that it doesn't matter. Confused, Beatrice leaves. Having expressed earlier her admiration of the apparent free-going lifestyle that the military seem to have, when she chooses the military at the annual Choosing ceremony during the following week. Over time Tris--the name she adopts upon joining the military--eventually learns that her problem that arose during her Test was that she is a Divergent (hence the book/movie title), meaning that she cannot properly fit into any of the factions and thus is a danger to this strictly regulated society.

I have not read the book so I do not know if this was a failing by the author or by the scriptwriters, but it would have been helpful to have included someone else's Test in which that person got his "expected" results. The viewer has nothing with which to compare Beatrice's Test and we are only told afterwards that her Test was somehow different.

Anyway, a diverting 2.5 hours of mostly mindless entertainment, but not interesting enough to go out of your way to catch.

I see from Woodley's IMDB entry that "Insurgent"--the sequel to "Divergent"--is already in post-production for release later this year, and that she is likely to appear in "Allegiant" which (again as is the fashion nowadays) will be split into two parts for 2016 and 2017.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Unlike a previous poster, I kinda liked Divergent better than Hunger Games.

The scene where she zip lines from the top of the John Hancock building was super cool!
DukeofNuke posted:
Unlike a previous poster, I kinda liked Divergent better than Hunger Games.

WHAT!? :eek:

ok, whatever, to each his own and all that...

yeah, the zip line was cool.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
Yes, I have seen Divergent as well.

I liked it.
A question for those who like "Divergent": did you read the book before seeing the movie?

I did not read the book and was barely aware of its existence before watching the movie.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Have not read "Divergent." Saw the movie, thought it was dumb.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
have not read Divergent, Hunger Games, Twilight, Percy Jackson, or even Harry Potter.
I don't really go for the 'Teenage girl hero of Dystopia' , and I would not have hesitated a micro-second to change channels if I had known Pulp Fiction, Apocalypse Now, Casablanca, or a dozen other movies were on another channel.
I just watched it for Ashley Judd

but it was ok.
I have read/watched Hunger Games. Liked em.
I have read/watched Twilight. Liked em.
Watched the 2 Percy Jackson flicks. Not read the books. Liked the movies.
I have read/watched all the HP. Loved them!
I'll also throw in another that i liked the movie but have not read the books. Mortal Instruments.
Séamas posted:
Sleeping Beauty To me this seems like a couple steps down from Snow White, Dumbo and Pinochio in terms of the animation. The movement is far less naturalistic, as are the colors. To me it looked like Disney was making the move to the more simple and flat animation style they did in the 60s. I was surprised to learn that this was one of their most expensive efforts of the era. I think the story was a mistake for Disney. Too many similar elements to Snow White and Cinderella. i thought the pace was slow and the voice track was badly recorded.

The flatness was because they were going for the 2D look of Middle Age paintings.

Speaking of voice track, isn't it weird that the royal couple don't have any dialog for the last 20 minutes of the movie? The fairies are essentially the main characters.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117 ... 195