What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116 ... 195
Online now: Lombo, Pithecanthropus
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Ribtor posted:
I have a family connexion to Audrey Hepburn so I'm particularly drawn to her. Unlike Brando, she did very little of her own singing in her role.

I read that Rex Harrison did his own singing (talk-singing really), live into a wireless microphone, no dubbing. Brave for the genre.

South Pacific's up next.

Be prepared for umpteen reprises of Bali Hai. :)
justine Elitist Beer Lover
All you guys watching oldies, do you ever watch Mister Roberts or Ensign Pulver? Those are 2 of my favorite oldies.
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
justine posted:
All you guys watching oldies, do you ever watch Mister Roberts or Ensign Pulver? Those are 2 of my favorite oldies.

Mister Roberts is the most accurate depiction of being a junior officer in the surface Navy that exists in fiction.
TOS
Geesie posted:
justine posted:

Mister Roberts is the most accurate depiction of being a junior officer in the surface Navy that exists in fiction.

it's a great flick ... just noticed it was directed by john ford
Tonight, i watched:

LOTR:ROTK

and then moved on to another Viggo flick

A History of Violence

Now, i'm watching Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle.
justine posted:

Mr Roberts is one of my go-to movies when I'm at a loss.

I tend towards older films because growing up we had two channels and a televised movie, especially a big musical, was a "Television Event". I like to recapture the specialness of it. So I ration those films for the holidays.
user Stupid cockwomble
I hated the limited channels and thought the old movies were odd.

What was up with all the fedoras?
user posted:
I hated the limited channels and thought the old movies were odd.

What was up with all the fedoras?

JFK was the first president to run around without a hat on, at that point the Fedora immediately lost a lot of its popularity.
user Stupid cockwomble
I wondered what killed them. Kind of a shame, though. I have a hard time finding good caps. All that they sell around here are ball caps. The wool cap that I wear now is too big and fits loosely, so I had to get a biking toboggan to go under to up the R value.
Ironic hats.

For a while, pork pie hats were all the rage with the hipsters, then they went away and now I see them back. But the summer touque over a man-bun seems to be hanging on.
The Interview (2014). So awful.
Ribtor posted:

I heard it was. Most people just wanted to see it because of the controversy.
Ribtor posted:
justine posted:

Mr Roberts is one of my go-to movies when I'm at a loss.

I tend towards older films because growing up we had two channels and a televised movie, especially a big musical, was a "Television Event". I like to recapture the specialness of it. So I ration those films for the holidays.

I actually haven't watched it in a while. I might have to change that.
justine posted:
Ribtor posted:

I heard it was. Most people just wanted to see it because of the controversy.

My copy had Chinese subtitles.
dv
Geesie posted:
justine posted:

Added to Netflix queue.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Nebraska

It's a nicely done "small" story. Well acted. Funny to see not just Will Forte but also Bob Odenkirk play their characters so straight 9both actors I consider to be very funny).
I will say that it is one of the few black and white movies where I thought could benefit from being shot in color.
dv posted:
Geesie posted:
justine posted:

Added to Netflix queue.

I didn't see it listed.
dv
justine posted:
dv posted:
Geesie posted:
justine posted:

Added to Netflix queue.

I didn't see it listed.

The DVD, not streaming. (?)
dv posted:
justine posted:
dv posted:
Geesie posted:
justine posted:

Added to Netflix queue.

I didn't see it listed.

The DVD, not streaming. (?)

Ah, ok.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Guardians of the galaxy

:up:
Vulture posted:
Predestination. Absolute fiddlesticks of a movie held up by the notion of time travel, if you're into that sort of thing. And if you are, it tackles many other areas way beyond sic-fi with great success. I won't spoil it by saying any more. Myself not being a fan of Ethan Hawke, this role actually makes him watchable, but thankfully he isn't the only central character. Oh, and if you do watch it, you may have a reflex of trying to figure out the movie right away through visual clues, and the good news is you're absolutely right, you will figure out the movie in the first few minutes, except you won't know how right you are until you are slapped with what is really going on.

Your review is bang on. That was exactly my experience with it.

A Heinlein story.
Road To Singapore (1940) Crosby, Hope, Lamour, Anthony Quinn. First and best of the road pictures.
Coherence (2014)

Quite the mind-bender. Recommended.
jkahless Custom Title
Into The Woods. One of the better musical adaptations I've seen. I disagree with a couple of the directing choices, but overall it did a good job of capturing the musical.
user Stupid cockwomble
They made a musical about some idiot who burns all his money and runs off to die in an abandoned bus in the Arctic woods?
user posted:
They made a musical about some idiot who burns all his money and runs off to die in an abandoned bus in the Arctic woods?

No, but they will.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
user posted:

That's Into the Wild. :brow:
TOS
jkahless Custom Title
user posted:

:lol:
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
-Divergent

Bad writing

Bad direction

Boring

Last edited by ukimalefu on Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:09 pm.

Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
You know what was more boring than Divergent? The Giver.

This spate of boring teen lit adaptations has helped me fall asleep more easily lately.
dv
A Million Ways to Die in the West.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Defiance:
Starring Daniel Craig. A very well done movie about around a 1000 Jews hiding in the woods from the Nazis.
On Netflix, highly recommended.
user Stupid cockwomble
Pariah posted:
Defiance:
Starring Daniel Craig. A very well done movie about around a 1000 Jews hiding in the woods from the Nazis.
On Netflix, highly recommended.

Excellent movie. Also starring Liev Schreiber, who is quite the badass of an actor.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Gone Girl. I was doubtful because of Ben Affleck, but it was a decent movie.
TOS
Metacell posted:
user posted:

speaking of into the wild ... did you see that his sister has come out and said their father was horribly abusive, and that the kid's journey was basically a quest to flee the trauma and find some kind of peace?
dv posted:

And...?

You liked it? Didn't like it?
"I thought it got repetitive and predictable after the first 10 or so minutes when a setup derived from one of the great old Westerns paid off in an unexpected (well, for those 10 minutes) manner"?
"I do recommend it because I was mildly amused even though I hate Seth MacFarlane's other stuff"?
Just a :lol: or a :shrug:, perhaps?

Mind you: I have not seen this movie and so all of the above should NOT be read as reviews.

Sure, technically dv's post fulfills the literal theme of the thread: he has named the last movie he has seen. But implicit is the request for at least a short review, even if it is in the form a single smiley.
user Stupid cockwomble
TOS posted:
Metacell posted:
user posted:

speaking of into the wild ... did you see that his sister has come out and said their father was horribly abusive, and that the kid's journey was basically a quest to flee the trauma and find some kind of peace?

It would make more sense if it was an act of desperation. The movie portrayed him as rebel rich kid idealist who thought he could pull a Walden with no preparation. He could have at least bought some provisions with that wad of cash. I stopped watching the movie not long after that scene.
dv
DEyncourt posted:
dv posted:

And...?

"I thought it got repetitive and predictable after the first 10 or so minutes when a setup derived from one of the great old Westerns paid off in an unexpected (well, for those 10 minutes) manner"?
"I do recommend it because I was mildly amused even though I hate Seth MacFarlane's other stuff"?

Mind you: I have not seen this movie and so all of the above should NOT be read as reviews.

Sure, technically dv's post fulfills the literal theme of the thread: he has named the last movie he has seen. But implicit is the request for at least a short review, even if it is in the form a single smiley.

If you like Seth McFarlane's sense of humor, you'll like the movie.
dv posted:
DEyncourt posted:
dv posted:

And...?

If you like Seth McFarlane's sense of humor, you'll like the movie.

So then, there's a section when someone hits their knee or something and goes, "Oooh, oooh, oooh..." for ten minutes?
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116 ... 195