What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114 ... 195
Online now: Majestic-12 [Bot], ukimalefu
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Ribtor posted:
The Dirty Dozen.

:up:
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Great fun, like all of them. Short on story but made up for it with action.
user Stupid cockwomble
Nice seeing Karen again.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Gravity
Finally got to sit it thru.
I bet it was pretty in Imax 3-D.
That's about all i really got out of it.
user Stupid cockwomble
Not sure I want to listen to Sandy squeal for an hour. It's stopped being so cute.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Django Unchained. Now, I've enjoyed all his movies that I've seen, but I've never got the Quentin Tarentino Is A Genius fever, and this movie is no different. It's basically Conan/Rambo set in the antebellum South (well I guess technically it's Siegfried). It's an amusing wishful fantasy, but nothing leapt out at me as being all that clever and the whole thing is ludicrously unbelievable. I did love the Schultz character though. Predictable but fun.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1

Good movie.
TOS
Metacell posted:
Django Unchained. Now, I've enjoyed all his movies that I've seen, but I've never got the Quentin Tarentino Is A Genius fever, and this movie is no different. It's basically Conan/Rambo set in the antebellum South (well I guess technically it's Siegfried). It's an amusing wishful fantasy, but nothing leapt out at me as being all that clever and the whole thing is ludicrously unbelievable. I did love the Schultz character though. Predictable but fun.

i think the "genius" label comes from his mastery of the techniques of filmmaking rather than the overall quality of his films

i for one am sick to death of him continually revisiting the 70s grindhouse vibe ... once was clever, but five movies and counting? yawn
TOS
the boys in company c

an early, and surprisingly good vietnam war movie
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
The 'Burbs (1989). Amusing, but could have been a much shorter movie.

Carrie Fisher = MILF!!!!
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Under The Skin

...imagine... if Predator wasn't an alien monster but Naked, brunette, Scarlett Johansson, and instead of a jungle in Central America, it happens in Scotland. And instead of an action movie, it's (or tries to be, I don't know) an European "art" film.
juice Inadvertently correct
ukimalefu posted:
Under The Skin

...imagine... if Predator wasn't an alien monster but Naked, brunette, Scarlett Johansson, and instead of a jungle in Central America, it happens in Scotland. And instead of an action movie, it's (or tries to be, I don't know) an European "art" film.

You have my attention.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
agedgruel posted:
ukimalefu posted:
Under The Skin

You have my attention.

Quiz time: What two locations did Uki mention in this post. :p
radarman posted:
agedgruel posted:
ukimalefu posted:
Under The Skin

You have my attention.

Quiz time: What two locations did Uki mention in this post. :p

umm, left and right?
user Stupid cockwomble
user Stupid cockwomble
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
The Maze Runner... wow that was really fuckin' dumb.
Robert B. posted:

So...did you read the book? Just curious since it could be that the movie treatment itself was bad but the book was OK.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Metacell posted:

I saw this last night.
My thing with Tarentino is I can recognize his gift for snappy dialog and certain levels of craftsmanship, but on the whole think he wastes a lot of time wallowing in his juvenile sensibilities.
I think he hit the mark perfectly in Pulp Fiction, but can't seem to manage to get beyond that--and has never done anything close as far as storytelling goes. He's got tons of style, but very little depth. This one just seemed like another Kill Bill.
His fascination of using the N-word all the time is tired and disconcerting, and the way he is using the suffering of people enslaved as a means to get giggles out of revenge fantasy left me cold. Plus, it was easily a half-hour too long.
I don't know much about gun shot wounds with weapons of the period, but having so many virtually explode with blood came off as dumb.
TOS
agreed

and yet ... it's one of the only occasions you'll see slavery portrayed in a hollywood movie
justine Elitist Beer Lover
P.S. I Love You. I've seen this so many times. I love it!
TOS posted:
agreed

and yet ... it's one of the only occasions you'll see slavery portrayed in a hollywood movie

Didn't 12 Years a Slave come out the same year?
TOS
Séamas posted:
TOS posted:
agreed

Didn't 12 Years a Slave come out the same year?

one of

one of the only
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
DEyncourt posted:
Robert B. posted:

So...did you read the book? Just curious since it could be that the movie treatment itself was bad but the book was OK.

Nope, didn't read the book.

This was funny, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnTltDzqhzM
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Dawn of The Planet of the Apes

:up:
Guardians of the Galaxy.

Yes, I found this very entertaining. I was curious whether I would because there were comparisons between it and The Avengers, and I fell asleep during The Avengers.
dv
matt posted:
Guardians of the Galaxy.

Yes, I found this very entertaining. I was curious whether I would because there were comparisons between it and The Avengers, and I fell asleep during The Avengers.

I thought it was more interesting, since they weren't a bunch of established characters that had their own movie series already.
I fell asleep trying to watch Iron Man and Captain America, too.

:shrug:
TOS
dv posted:
matt posted:
Guardians of the Galaxy.

I thought it was more interesting, since they weren't a bunch of established characters that had their own movie series already.

i was surprised by their choice, since the guardians don't have the massive legacy in print that most of the other superhero movies do, but i thought it was tons of fun, didn't take itself seriously, super entertaining

kind of a relief to see this franchise coming up since the star trek series is pretty much toast and star wars is pretty much on double secret probation
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Yeah, I liked Guardians.
Also, the coolest soundtrack of the summer movie run.
Charlie Wilson's War (2007) S.P. Hoffman, Hanks, Roberts Beatty. Directed by Mike Nichols. What's not to enjoy?

This time I liked Sorkin's dialogue style, especially by Hoffman's character.
The Master.

I really didn't know much about this going in other than it had Phillip Seymour Hoffman and that it was vaguely about Scientology.
In the first moments of this I realized that it was by Paul Thomas Anderson as it had a similar feel at times to There Will Be Blood--a movie that affected me, but I couldn't quite know what I was feeling or what I was seeing.

This was kind of the same experience. I enjoyed it is a way, found it very interesting, but at times got lost in trying to figure out the movie's main ideas. The acting was very good and I think it did numerous things very well (exposing how fraudster cult leaders operate is always good), but like There Will Be Blood, just felt unresolved at the end.

Couple weeks back but forgot to add:

The BoxtrollsI saw this with my daughter. This is a cool story and the stop-action animation is unbelievable. The design is really cool too. It was a winner for both myself and my seven year old daughter.

Big Hero Six
Saw this with both kids. It was definitely good but also kind of forgettable. I enjoyed it more than most super-hero things.

Breakfast at Tiffany's
I can understand the appeal of Audrey Hepburn, but only to a point. i've seen her in other things and meh. She is definitely good in this, and the story is pretty decent, I love the footage of early '60s NYC.
But Mickey Rooney's minstel show character of the Japanese neighbor was astoundingly awful. I knew it was in the move, but thought it was a smaller part--but he keeps showing up again and again. Mickey Rooney is always annoying, but he takes it to a whole other level in this movie. I like how voices of both Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble are in this.
Séamas posted:
Breakfast at Tiffany's
I can understand the appeal of Audrey Hepburn, but only to a point. i've seen her in other things and meh. She is definitely good in this, and the story is pretty decent, I love the footage of early '60s NYC.
But Mickey Rooney's minstel show character of the Japanese neighbor was astoundingly awful. I knew it was in the move, but thought it was a smaller part--but he keeps showing up again and again. Mickey Rooney is always annoying, but he takes it to a whole other level in this movie. I like how voices of both Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble are in this.

My wife loved Breakfast at Tiffany's when she was younger, but actually can't watch it anymore because of Roonioshi. I wonder how anyone thought that role was even remotely a good idea, even back then.
dv posted:
matt posted:
Guardians of the Galaxy.

Howard The Duck. :p
user Stupid cockwomble
They made that movie 20 years too early.

Also they needed a better script and Mrs McFly didn't have the chops to carry a movie.

Jeffery Jones, however, absolutely kicked ass as the Dark Overlord. "I have no neeed for human subsistence..."
user posted:

Also they needed a better script and Mrs McFly didn't have the chops to carry a movie.

Jeffery Jones, however, absolutely kicked ass as the Dark Overlord. "I have no neeed for human subsistence..."

But Howard was in Guardians.
user Stupid cockwomble
"But"?

In the recent movie or/also in the comic? I haven't been able to see GoG yet and never read the Howard comics.
justine posted:
user posted:

Howard was a bit of an in gag in the post credits scene. I am not sure you want to attribute it to anything other than a bit of cheeky cleverness (I believe the director said he's not alluding to any future Howard project)
Caught In The Draft - (1941) Bob Hope, Dorothy Lamour and Eddie Bracken. Dismal.

Valkyrie - (2008) I'm glad they did not use cheesy German accents.

Gone Girl - (2014)
TOS
Warin posted:
justine posted:
user posted:

Howard was a bit of an in gag in the post credits scene. I am not sure you want to attribute it to anything other than a bit of cheeky cleverness (I believe the director said he's not alluding to any future Howard project)

i belive they've ruled out a h the d movie

i think they rebooted the comic recently ... maybe they were trying to boost sales
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114 ... 195