Page: 1 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111 ... 195
Online now: Bing (sucks), Google [Bot], juice, maurvir, Séamas, Yori
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
justine posted:
Robert B. posted:
Saw Get On Up this weekend.

Please say you loved it!

Yes, I did!

It was not a warts and all kind of tale, but rather told as if the man himself was recounting the story -- mentioning the warts, but brushing them off. But quite enjoyable.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Robert B. posted:
justine posted:
Robert B. posted:
Saw Get On Up this weekend.

Please say you loved it!

Yes, I did!

It was not a warts and all kind of tale, but rather told as if the man himself was recounting the story -- mentioning the warts, but brushing them off. But quite enjoyable.

Good t hear! I understand Dan Aykroyd was real happy to be in it since him and JB were friends.
Rush

Good cliche sports film.

When I lived in the UK at that time, Hunt was all over the news as were Lauda and Andretti. This film did a fine job laying out the drama and inventing it when needed.

Both leads were fine. Hemsworth and Bruhl even looked their parts. Ron Howard always delivers.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Dear Mr. Watterson
:goth:
This was basically unwatchable. Who would have thought a documentary of one of the greatest cartoonists I can think of would be such a joyless bore.
There really was just a tiny light shed on Bill Watterson--but you had sit and watch I don't know how many talking heads blabber on and on about how they Calvin and Hobbes so much. Like it was a competition to see who was more of a fan.
It'd be better if the focus was on the cartoonist rather than so many idiotic testimonials.
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
Séamas posted:
Dear Mr. Watterson
This was basically unwatchable. Who would have thought a documentary of one of the greatest cartoonists I can think of would be such a joyless bore.
There really was just a tiny light shed on Bill Watterson--but you had sit and watch I don't know how many talking heads blabber on and on about how they Calvin and Hobbes so much. Like it was a competition to see who was more of a fan.
It'd be better if the focus was on the cartoonist rather than so many idiotic testimonials.

Yeah, that's why I skipped it and will be watching "Stripped" when I get a chance.
jkahless Custom Title
Hanna.

Good flick. It was a nice spin on the whole rogue agent action flick, with some somewhat surrealist leanings. The actor that played Hanna had a real ethereal otherworldliness to her that was truly entrancing. Fey would be the word I'd use...

A little slow for the modern adrenaline addicted layabout, but it went along at a fine pace, well bookended.
user Stupid cockwomble
Saoirse Ronan. Just looked at her IMDB page. Looks like she's been in quite a few interesting projects.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Captain America, The First Avenger

Took me a long time to watch that one. Not the best Marvel movie, but it was ok. The propaganda part was too long, but maybe the point was to show how stupid and lame and wrong propaganda is, no matter who does it.
user Stupid cockwomble
Reminded me of the propaganda bit in Pacific Band of Brothers.
Everything is propaganda. The privatised stuff is the most insidious because it's successfully packaged as entertainment.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Ink. <---link to the full movie

Wow.
Séamas posted:
Dear Mr. Watterson

Thanks for saving me the time I was going to spend watching this. Of course, I really wasn’t expecting much of a focus on Watterson himself, since he is a hugely private recluse. Glad to know that it’s a dreadful bore though... I will give it a pass.
TOS
trading places

seen it a million times but only today realized i could never make sense of the ending ... but thanks to the intartubes i now do
juice Inadvertently correct
Is there anything the internet can't do?
TOS
:: enlarges penis ::
Well, it's not a movie, but I want to recommend that any fan of Firefly should go find and watch the "Firefly 10th Anniversary: Browncoats Unite" special on the Science channel. It is a combination of a pre-panel of Joss Whedon and many of the cast talking about Firefly before they spent the last 15 minutes of the hour-long program going out to the 2012 San Diego ComicCon panel for the 10th anniversary of Firefly. It included video segments with Jewel Staite and Morena Baccarin and Gina Torres who couldn't make it to that ComicCon where they talk about what Whedon had planned for their characters and didn't get in the series. And Summer Glau was there for the panel at ComicCon and...<sigh> she was even more breathtakingly beautiful. Oh, and most of the guys were there too. Anyway, I did a scan of the Science channel and I did see that they will be airing this program at 10pm PDT tonight (not sure for other time zones).

And, yes, this is the first time I was aware of this program so if the Science channel aired it before I missed it.
Too bad I don't get that channel. This week I rewatched the whole series and Serenity.
j_tso posted:
Too bad I don't get that channel. This week I rewatched the whole series and Serenity.

Some deleted scenes from that special can be seen here plus some segments from the 2012 New York ComicCon Firefly panel with Fillion, Staite and Sean Maher, although apparently the special itself isn't here (yet?).

I should warn you: you will have a commercial shown between each of these segments.

I see from that page that this special originally aired on November 11, 2012.
user Stupid cockwomble
Just watched The Incredibles. Twice.

Damn that's the best thing they've ever done.

Watching the Firefly blu-ray now. Just tried Serenity but it's too depressing.
Ghostbusters
:up:
I don't think I have ever seen this its its entirety before.
Lots of fun, Murray is great of course.

The kids got nightmares about it. Oh well.
dv
Séamas posted:
Ghostbusters

So... how much mileage are your going to get out of, "Hey... are you the Gatekeeper?"
chikie The same deviled egg
Séamas posted:
Ghostbusters

How old are the kids?
user Stupid cockwomble
Buy em a box of StaPuft.
dv
chikie posted:
Séamas posted:
Ghostbusters

How old are the kids?

My 36 year old housemate still has to cover her eyes during certain parts of Finding Nemo.
chikie posted:
Séamas posted:
Ghostbusters

How old are the kids?

7 & 9.

The 9 year old had nightmares after I showed him Plan 9 from Outer Space last Halloween.
They are kinda sheltered as far as scary movies go.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Seamas, my grandkids get nightmares over the strangest movies. Ones you think should bother them, don't. The ones that do, shouldn't.

I don't watch scary movies much anymore, depending on the content. Some things just bother me now. I was watching them from a very young age, though. The first one i remember ever watching was Night Of The Living Dead. I musta been 6 or 7. It didn't seem to hurt me. I grew up relatively normal. I think.
TOS
the dark knight rises, or whatever the last one was called, on netflix

such a letdown because it could have been phenomenal, but they just couldn't assemble the pieces right
user Stupid cockwomble
Bingewatching Justified on CouchTuner.

Damn I mss Elmore Leonard.
TOS
happily he wrote a bajillion books ... enough for at least a century's worth of movies

then there'll be the reboots
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Space Pirate Captain Harlock (2013 CG).

I am conflicted...like every rendition of the stories and characters in Reiji Matsumoto's portfolio, it's different from all the others. Captain Harlock never had much of a continuity to start with...but I think I understand now that he was always supposed to be like Popeye the Sailor, sort of an immortal legend who transcends narrative and circumstances who has his own entourage of Bluto's and Wimpy's and Olive's but otherwise exists in an ever changing generational continuum only united by a certain artistic style.

To it's credit, this movie looks gorgeous and actually does a very good job of capturing the fatalism vs. liberation conflict of previous Harlock versions, but it's not presenting quite any of them and like a lot of Matsumoto's work, it's hard to accept the plot mechanisms at face value as they are a lot of contrived ridiculousness bordering on utter balderdash...but...they actually lead to some interesting philisophical questions.

I guess I want to say I like it, and if you just want to ignore the story and watch some of those early anime space battleship fights beautifully rendered, it's certainly easy on the eyes. But I'm not entirely happy with the story they chose to tell...not as good as Space Battleship Yamato.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
user posted:

How far have you gotten? I still can't stop gushing about season 2.
Margo Martindale won an Emmy for her performance in season 2. She feels really creepy, sometimes. And the first time I saw Dickie Bennett, I thought, "Damn! I know that guy!"
The Fault In Our Stars.

Very sad movie, but I noticed that no one else here seems to have mentioned seeing it.
user Stupid cockwomble
DukeofNuke posted:
user posted:

How far have you gotten? I still can't stop gushing about season 2.
Margo Martindale won an Emmy for her performance in season 2. She feels really creepy, sometimes. And the first time I saw Dickie Bennett, I thought, "Damn! I know that guy!"

Just about to finish up season 1.

What I miss are Leonard's books. He was one of the few modern fiction authors that I was willing to buy and keep one of his books without question.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
matt posted:
The Fault In Our Stars.

Very sad movie, but I noticed that no one else here seems to have mentioned seeing it.

:cough: Chick Flik
bratboy so sorry I schooled you
Finally got around to watching Dallas Buyers Club. Really impressed by McConaughey and Jared Leto, I think they both deserved those oscars.
Saving Mr. Banks (2013).

This is a somewhat fictionalized account of when P.L. Travers came to California in order to oversee the scriptwriting for her most famous book, Mary Poppins. In case the title of the movie is too obscure: the Banks family is one that "acquires" Mary Poppins when the winds change.

The movie switches back and forth between 1961 when Travers made her trip to LA and 1905-6 when she was young girl (6-7) moving to a relatively remote town, Allora, Australia, where her father was made a bank manager. The movie links Travers' personal story with those of the children in Mary Poppins in that they were both children of bank managers (I guess write what you know). Unlike Mr. Banks, Travers' father died rather young (43) due to influenza complicated by his alcoholism a few years following this move.

Disney had been persuing Travers since 1938 when his daughters first insisted that he make a Mary Poppins movie, so it had been 23 years before she allowed herself to even talk to Disney and his screenwriter and the musical team of the Sherman brothers. She did leave in a huff before signing the contract that would allow Disney to proceed, but follow-up scene where Disney appeared at her doorstep in London didn't happen (it was actually a phone call but according to a biographer of Travers the subject of the call was accurate).

During the course of writing "Mary Poppins", Travers insisted that they record to reel-to-reel tape the proceedings of the meetings. There are 39 hours of these tapes. Over the ending credits as some of the cast names are shown over the pictures of the people they played as they appeared at the Hollywood opening of "Mary Poppins" or in behind-the-scene pictures taken at the time of Travers' trip to LA, the audience can listen to part of one of the tapes.

There are some interesting notes on how this movie was shopped around. Because one of the key characters in the movie was Walt Disney himself (played nicely by Tom Hanks), it was something of mystery that the original producers went to other studios before finally "settling" on Walt Disney Pictures. Of course it seems obvious that no other studio would attempt to portray Disney or have access to the old "Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color" TV program or to Disneyland or to "Mary Poppins" itself, but apparently there is still some bad feelings on Travers' and her family's part towards Disney (so much so that when a stage musical was produced in 1994 Travers initially refused to allow any of the music from the movie of "Mary Poppins" to be used. Eventually she relented and allowed some of the music but insisted that no Americans could take part including the Sherman brothers, both of whom were alive at the time).

In the interest of accuracy Hanks insisted that something of Disney's smoking habit be included (he was a 2-pack-a-day smoker with a horrendous cough that could be heard wherever he was), but the family insisted that they keep most of this out (as Disney himself was never seen smoking in public and didn't want to have his habit shown to the children). As a compromise there is a scene where Travers (played by Emma Thompson) is hurriedly going through Walt Disney's offices and as she enters his personal office you can see Disney (Hanks) going through the actions of stubbing out a cigarette in an ashtray (although there is no smoke in the air).

Come to think of it: I don't think I have ever seen from beginning to end all of "Mary Poppins". It's possible that I have seen all of it in bits and pieces but never all at one go. Maybe I will do that, but after I can track down one of Travers' Mary Poppins book.
user Stupid cockwomble
I saw MP in the movie theatre when it came out. It was just something that every kid went to see.

Same with the Sound of Music, but I think a youth church group was involved with that one.
juice Inadvertently correct
DEyncourt posted:
Saving Mr. Banks (2013).

This is a somewhat fictionalized account of when P.L. Travers came to California in order to oversee the scriptwriting for her most famous book, Mary Poppins. In case the title of the movie is too obscure: the Banks family is one that "acquires" Mary Poppins when the winds change.

The movie switches back and forth between 1961 when Travers made her trip to LA and 1905-6 when she was young girl (6-7) moving to a relatively remote town, Allora, Australia, where her father was made a bank manager. The movie links Travers' personal story with those of the children in Mary Poppins in that they were both children of bank managers (I guess write what you know). Unlike Mr. Banks, Travers' father died rather young (43) due to influenza complicated by his alcoholism a few years following this move.

Disney had been persuing Travers since 1938 when his daughters first insisted that he make a Mary Poppins movie, so it had been 23 years before she allowed herself to even talk to Disney and his screenwriter and the musical team of the Sherman brothers. She did leave in a huff before signing the contract that would allow Disney to proceed, but follow-up scene where Disney appeared at her doorstep in London didn't happen (it was actually a phone call but according to a biographer of Travers the subject of the call was accurate).

During the course of writing "Mary Poppins", Travers insisted that they record to reel-to-reel tape the proceedings of the meetings. There are 39 hours of these tapes. Over the ending credits as some of the cast names are shown over the pictures of the people they played as they appeared at the Hollywood opening of "Mary Poppins" or in behind-the-scene pictures taken at the time of Travers' trip to LA, the audience can listen to part of one of the tapes.

There are some interesting notes on how this movie was shopped around. Because one of the key characters in the movie was Walt Disney himself (played nicely by Tom Hanks), it was something of mystery that the original producers went to other studios before finally "settling" on Walt Disney Pictures. Of course it seems obvious that no other studio would attempt to portray Disney or have access to the old "Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color" TV program or to Disneyland or to "Mary Poppins" itself, but apparently there is still some bad feelings on Travers' and her family's part towards Disney (so much so that when a stage musical was produced in 1994 Travers initially refused to allow any of the music from the movie of "Mary Poppins" to be used. Eventually she relented and allowed some of the music but insisted that no Americans could take part including the Sherman brothers, both of whom were alive at the time).

In the interest of accuracy Hanks insisted that something of Disney's smoking habit be included (he was a 2-pack-a-day smoker with a horrendous cough that could be heard wherever he was), but the family insisted that they keep most of this out (as Disney himself was never seen smoking in public and didn't want to have his habit shown to the children). As a compromise there is a scene where Travers (played by Emma Thompson) is hurriedly going through Walt Disney's offices and as she enters his personal office you can see Disney (Hanks) going through the actions of stubbing out a cigarette in an ashtray (although there is no smoke in the air).

Come to think of it: I don't think I have ever seen from beginning to end all of "Mary Poppins". It's possible that I have seen all of it in bits and pieces but never all at one go. Maybe I will do that, but after I can track down one of Travers' Mary Poppins book.

You gave a lot of background but you never actually said whether you liked the movie.
agedgruel posted:
[snip]
You gave a lot of background but you never actually said whether you liked the movie.

I thought it was obvious that I did like "Saving Mr. Banks", but you're right: I didn't outright say so. Some points off for being a "somewhat fictionalized account" and sentimentalizing Travers' reaction to the movie but I do recommend seeing this movie for a number of reasons not including being a fan of the movie "Mary Poppins": if you have interests in seeing the background "movie-making-a-movie" or in P.L. Travers ("Saving Mr. Banks" is much more about her) or in Walt Disney (peripherally), then watch "Saving Mr. Banks."

I did track down the original "Mary Poppins" book--there is a series of books--which was the base for its movie. If I do review it, that will appear in the book review thread. In "Saving Mr. Banks" Travers' chauffeur in LA (played by Paul Giamatti) said that he liked reading her book after finding it among his daughter's books (no idea if the scenes in the movie with the chauffeur reflect any reality).
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111 ... 195