What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108 ... 196
Online now: Google [Bot], j_tso, maurvir
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
The Italian Job (1969). A very young Micheal Caine, a much more comic tone than the remake, much more Brittish, and featuring the one and only Benny Hill as the computer guy. Loads of fun!
user Stupid cockwomble
You were only supposed to blow the doors off!
TOS
and don't forget noel coward the imprisoned gangster!
Séamas Honorary Consul General
E.T.

We saw this at yet another outdoor screening--this time another spot right on the Hudson, but in the Highlands.

I actually had never seen this. Something about the hype of it really turned me off when it came out--and I was 16 or 17 and thought it was a little young for me.

And I still haven't seen it in it's entirety, because 3/4 into it, my 9 year old son started shreiking.
Some kind of bug bit him- it took a long time to figure out what it was and he had a herd time explaining it. We thought something bit him ON the ear. We didn't see any stinger, so he wasn't stung by a bee, but maybe it was a wasp, or a horsefly?

Well, the next morning we discovered that what happened was IN his ear--and there was some blood. So my wife took him to the ER.
:eek:
The bug was still there, but they couldn't get it out (we don't know what it is, but it is dead).
So I got to take the day off tomorrow and see if I can't beg an ENT to take care of it.
Ewwwww! I hope you get it taken care of and your son feels better soon!
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Anyway, if you are over the age of 12, you aren't missing anything. Poltergeist and Gremlins...now those were great.
TOS
Séamas posted:
E.T.

We saw this at yet another outdoor screening--this time another spot right on the Hudson, but in the Highlands.

I actually had never seen this. Something about the hype of it really turned me off when it came out--and I was 16 or 17 and thought it was a little young for me.

And I still haven't seen it in it's entirety, because 3/4 into it, my 9 year old son started shreiking.
Some kind of bug bit him- it took a long time to figure out what it was and he had a herd time explaining it. We thought something bit him ON the ear. We didn't see any stinger, so he wasn't stung by a bee, but maybe it was a wasp, or a horsefly?

Well, the next morning we discovered that what happened was IN his ear--and there was some blood. So my wife took him to the ER.
:eek:
The bug was still there, but they couldn't get it out (we don't know what it is, but it is dead).
So I got to take the day off tomorrow and see if I can't beg an ENT to take care of it.

good lord, that's awful, hope he's better soon
The ENT did a double take when he first saw it.

It took a couple attempts--it felt like an eternity to me, but was no doubt excruciating for my son.
Doctor: "You are gonna want a picture of this".
I'm guessing it was some type of beetle--it looked pretty sturdy--probably got into his ear and freaked out and started scratching and stuff.

His ear canal has no small amount of trauma, but it looks like the drum wasn't perforated.
TOS
dear lord, look at that
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
It looks like ET?

Does anyone in your household want to believe?

All kidding aside, glad things turned out okay.
It was awful when the Doctor was working to get it out.
He works through a funnel type of thing, but this things was too big to fit through that --so it seemed he got it pulled up to the tip of that funnel and pulled the whole works out.
I can only imagine the sensation. The thing was right on the eardrum.

The doctor said he is supposed to do a "leg count" and wanted to take another look, but then thought the better of it (thinking my son had enough), so figured that there was gonna have to be a follow up on Thursday anyway, he'll get a good look then.

My son feels fine, just has to take some drops, can't swim until further notice, and we'll see how it is healing.

We were kicking ourselves for not taking him to the ER that night, but the doctor said that the chances of any ER doctor getting that out was slim.
TOS
on nurse jackie they got a spider out of a guy's ear by filling it with water via syringe
Take him to see The Shining next. He's ready.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
user Stupid cockwomble
Take him to see The Fly.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
user posted:
Take him to see The Fly.

original or remake?
user Stupid cockwomble
I was thinking remake, although the scene at the end of the original "help meeee, help meeee!" was pretty chilling.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Séamas posted:
It was awful when the Doctor was working to get it out.
He works through a funnel type of thing, but this things was too big to fit through that --so it seemed he got it pulled up to the tip of that funnel and pulled the whole works out.
I can only imagine the sensation. The thing was right on the eardrum.

The doctor said he is supposed to do a "leg count" and wanted to take another look, but then thought the better of it (thinking my son had enough), so figured that there was gonna have to be a follow up on Thursday anyway, he'll get a good look then.

My son feels fine, just has to take some drops, can't swim until further notice, and we'll see how it is healing.

We were kicking ourselves for not taking him to the ER that night, but the doctor said that the chances of any ER doctor getting that out was slim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyLa-netY1E
TOS
lone survivor

very well made indeed, but they really blew an opportunity by not going beyond the "zomg th3z guyz r heroz" mantra

basically it's a recruiting film for the navy seals
Ice Age: Continental Drift

By far the best of the series.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
F&F-6
It's such an emotional experience, watching Diesel and Johnson read ... I mean, act ... I had tears in my eyes (from the LOLs)
Thor: The Dark World. It was sort of awesomely bad in a way I haven't quite experienced since the Dino De Laurentiis days. In other words, it's a positive recommendation of thorough entertainment value, but something in my heart tells me its utter trash.

As a more detailed analysis, watching an extant people's mythology and religion played out as a comic book sci-fi fantasy is really quite surreal and I always wondered what Nordic people thought of the Jack Kirby comics. Of course, all the source material is plumbed for dramatic effect and Frigga's funeral rites play as operatic as they would in Beowulf or Siegfried or King Arthur.

As compared to the other Marvel heroes, the tone feels decidedly more like a romantic comedy date-flick (yeah even more than Spiderman). Beyond even the ever contractually-nude Hugh Jackman, Chris Helmsworth seems to be paraded on screen as a sexy dreamboat for ladies to gaga over, and Natalie Portman and her entourage seem to be all groomed for the sit-com feel good moments.

It's sort of revoltingly great.
Epic. I'm watching it again now. :)
TOS
the patrol

british movie about the war in afghanistan

great flick, very intense ... written by a veteran, pretty much the exact opposite of the usual fare we get from h'wood

it's all about the intense pressures those guys faced in the war; a unit falling apart under the strain of collapsing morale (and crappy equipment)

the country is portrayed as this eerie post-apocalyptic moonscape of constant dread

well worth watching
His Girl Friday

Felt like watching some old Cary Grant. Geez, did everyone talk that fast back then?
j_tso posted:
Geez, did everyone talk that fast back then?

Howard Hawkes directed. I knew it the moment I read this. Try watching Thing from Another World.
Thor: The Dark World and Elysium.

Both of them were complete wastes of time. The Thor movie at least had some occassional bits of humor, but neither can be recommended.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Star Trek Into Darkness

Having now seen this for a second time I can say with absolute certainty that it is truly a crappy movie. Apart from the plot holes you could drive a starship through, the entire movie is a waltz of terse dialog, little joke, gigantic CGI action scene, repeat.

The original series, even at its worst (The Way to Eden), had something that J.J. Abrams just doesn't seem to understand: social significance. "The Way to Eden" had space hippies, yes, but there were real hippies then and the show was a commentary on the relationship between the status quo (Kirk) and youth rebellion. The show was very topical for its time, and there was some substance there, even if it was dressed up in body paint and terrible wigs.

Star Trek is drama-adventure, not action-adventure, and the new movies don't do that. So, A+ for action, action, action, but they get a D for drama.
user Stupid cockwomble
Julie & Julia

Nora Ephron's last movie. LOVE Meryl Streep's portrayal of Julia Child. Since I first saw this movie, I managed to get a copy of My Life In France and a 1971 copy of Mastering The Art Of French Cooking.
I keep thinking I'll pick out something rather vegetarian out of it to attempt.

I know....I'll start a blog! I'll cook my way through The Tassajara Cookbook!

:P
user posted:
Julie & Julia

Nora Ephron's last movie. LOVE Meryl Streep's portrayal of Julia Child. Since I first saw this movie, I managed to get a copy of My Life In France and a 1971 copy of Mastering The Art Of French Cooking.
I keep thinking I'll pick out something rather vegetarian out of it to attempt.

I know....I'll start a blog! I'll cook my way through The Tassajara Cookbook!

:P

I really liked that movie. I actually thought about it when i bought a cookbook recently. Thought i should work my way thru the whole thing like she did.
TOS
Pithecanthropus posted:
Star Trek Into Darkness

Having now seen this for a second time I can say with absolute certainty that it is truly a crappy movie. Apart from the plot holes you could drive a starship through, the entire movie is a waltz of terse dialog, little joke, gigantic CGI action scene, repeat.

The original series, even at its worst (The Way to Eden), had something that J.J. Abrams just doesn't seem to understand: social significance. "The Way to Eden" had space hippies, yes, but there were real hippies then and the show was a commentary on the relationship between the status quo (Kirk) and youth rebellion. The show was very topical for its time, and there was some substance there, even if it was dressed up in body paint and terrible wigs.

Star Trek is drama-adventure, not action-adventure, and the new movies don't do that. So, A+ for action, action, action, but they get a D for drama.

agreed

in his defense, however, h'wood isn't exactly a huge fan of social commentary
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
TOS posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:
Star Trek Into Darkness

agreed

in his defense, however, h'wood isn't exactly a huge fan of films that require more of the viewer than the ability to stay away for 2-3 hours and not pee themselves in the process.

FTFY
geekette28 Southpaw Extraordinaire
The Lego Movie - I thought this movie was going to just be one giant advertisment for Lego. But it's actually quite good. It's something a little different from the usual summer schlock. I especially liked sequence near the end with Will Ferrell as the father. I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet. But I did enjoy the plot. For a children's movie, it's pretty watchable.
user Stupid cockwomble
I've started in on "Orange Is The New Black". Wasn't sure I'd like it, but I do like the way they are gradually introducing the character's backstories.

Also really enjoying Kate Mugrew as a tough Russian.
geekette28 posted:
quite good.

eeeverything is awesome!

----------
Watched The Enemy Below again. Good movie.
TOS posted:
lone survivor

very well made indeed, but they really blew an opportunity by not going beyond the "zomg th3z guyz r heroz" mantra

basically it's a recruiting film for the navy seals

Everyone should read the book first. Although if you want a real story, read "The Heart and the Fist"
Just got back from watching "Transformers Age of Extinction"; it was truly bad. "Edge of Tomorrow" was equally bad.

Hollywood is getting real lame these days. All effects and no plot or character development.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Have you seen "Her"?
matt posted:
Have you seen "Her"?

Yes. It was good. Surprisingly good.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108 ... 196