What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107 ... 195
Online now: juice, Metacell, ukimalefu
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Lilo And Stitch.

Funny and cute kids movie.
Her.

This movie was very weird and surprisingly thought-provoking.
Maleficent

I liked Jolie in the role, but everyone else's character was a nitwit, not that I was expecting much beyond fairy tale logic. The old animated movie is a favorite of mine.

Now let's see Cinderella from the stepmother's point of view!
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Serpico

:up:
I like this in that it has two things I really like--gritty footage of NYC in the "bad old days" and Al Pacino when he would actually act instead of just chew scenery.

I saw this when it was first broadcast on network TV and from what I remember it had a profound effect on me.
user Stupid cockwomble
Say hello to my widdle friend.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
We're The Millers. It was ok.
TOS
Séamas posted:
Serpico

I like this in that it has two things I really like--gritty footage of NYC in the "bad old days" and Al Pacino when he would actually act instead of just chew scenery.

I saw this when it was first broadcast on network TV and from what I remember it had a profound effect on me.

a fab flick

i also highly recommend "fort apache the bronx" for a similar quasi-apocalpypse vibe

another is "wolfen," a peculiar semi-horror flick that was shot as they were tearing down most of the south bronx

all this assumes you've already seen "the warriors"
TOS
300: something-or-other of empire

not bad, but a pretty weak outing in comparison with the previous one

the guy they chose as the lead was just not up to it, i'm afraid (among other flaws) ... but overall it was mostly yap-yap while the original was bold, amazing visuals

as i understand it a lot of the creative team left it to work on the superman movie
user Stupid cockwomble
men in tights?
TOS
TOS posted:
Séamas posted:
Serpico

a fab flick

i also highly recommend "fort apache the bronx" for a similar quasi-apocalpypse vibe

another is "wolfen," a peculiar semi-horror flick that was shot as they were tearing down most of the south bronx

all this assumes you've already seen "the warriors"

Yep.

Also Taking of Pelham 123 and of course, the French Connection.
For the record, I am not one of those who will pipe up talking about how much I miss the NYC of those years.
I am convinced that 90% of the people who say that are clueless or trying to put on an air of cool.

I love the footage of the scenery, but the late '60s-mid 1980s NYC was pretty nasty.
TOS
indeed

i think the appeal of those movies is that they represent a brief window in which filmmakers made a stab at showing things as they were, rather than an idealized imaginary version
user Stupid cockwomble
I still mist up a bit seeing the NY skyline in the intro to Working Girl.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
I loved Wolfen and Fort Apache. They're how I always think of NYC. After Hours, too.
TOS
i watched fort apache last night, on my own reccomendation

good call, self
Teeth. This was the second time i've seen it. Bad acting, but it's pretty humorous. :)
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
The girl who leapt through time

Metacell Chocolate Brahma
This Is Not a Movie. (not to be confused with the Iranian documentary This Is Not A Film)

As a pretentious experiment, It's occasionally interesting, but mostly bad mainly due the insipid shallowness of the central character. The Slash soundtrack is good and fortunately bears little resemblance to GNR.

This reviewer sums it up pretty good:"Still, This Is Not a Movie illustrates my pretentious movie theorem: an intellectually ambitious failure is more interesting than an unpretentious failure"
Son of Batman

Direct to DVD adaptation of the story where Talia Al Ghul drops a surprise kid into Batman's lap after her father Raas is killed. Having been raised by the League of Asassins, Batman tries to set his son Damian straight. I haven't read the comics with Damian, so I can't go into nitpickin' nerd mode.

It's one of DC's better animated movies. Others have a problem with being well animated with a simple plot, but have violence and language I found out of place and inappropriate. I'm sure they're trying to break the mold of superheroes for kids, but you can have it appeal to both like in Batman: Mask of the Phantasm.
dv
Despicable Me, the sequel, and Old Dogs were all watched recently. All were good.
I saw Frozen on over the weekend.

It was at an outdoor fundraiser along the river (on the Grounds of a German-catholic society--so HB was on tap!).
Because of the crowd and getting there late, I wasn't able to follow the story--but once the "Let it Go" part started, EVERY girl between 4 and 18 was singing along--which I though was kind of cute.
Frozen is soooooooooo overrated.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
justine posted:

It's not bad, especially for a Disney film. In fact, it's probably one of the very few Disney animated features where the female protagonist manages to overcome the scumbag villain without "finding a man". I was impressed, even if it was by accident...

So the problem isn't that it's not a good film, it is, it's just that it has been massively overhyped. It's sort of like the first time your puppy asks to go outside to crap. That, by itself, is a good thing, but nothing to write home about - except for the fact that it's the first time he hasn't crapped on your rug.
radarman posted:
justine posted:

It's not bad, especially for a Disney film. In fact, it's probably one of the very few Disney animated features where the female protagonist manages to overcome the scumbag villain without "finding a man". I was impressed, even if it was by accident...

So the problem isn't that it's not a good film, it is, it's just that it has been massively overhyped. It's sort of like the first time your puppy asks to go outside to crap. That, by itself, is a good thing, but nothing to write home about - except for the fact that it's the first time he hasn't crapped on your rug.

See, i don't get all the hype. Kids, and most adults, seem to love it, though.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
justine posted:
radarman posted:
justine posted:

Still talking about Frozen? people, just... LET IT GO, LET IT GOOOOO, don't talk about anymore...

:p
dv
justine posted:
radarman posted:
justine posted:

s'alright.

I think it came out at the right time - we hadn't had any massive OMGSOAWESOMEGASM pop culture things happen lately.
TOS
watchmen -- the ultimate yadda yadda yadda version with the animated bits thrown in

always liked the movie, thought it did a pretty good job of representing the original graphic novel

but damn if there isn't just something missing, some quality, i dunno

the woman in it was pretty hopeless, maybe that was it, or maybe it was just hiring so many unknown actors?
I've been meaning to watch Watchmen again.
TOS
a million ways to die in the west

standard seth mcfarlane fare ... an endless parade of completely obvious jokes with one or two halfhearted chuckles thrown in

it was mildly amusing to see characters in a wild west movie talking like modern americans, but overall it was a snoozefest
TOS
edge of tomorrow

it was great
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.

Very good. :up:
Watching True Lies right now, since i found it flipping channels, but i may watch Catching Fire since Matts post reminded me i haven't seen it yet.
Just finished Catching Fire. I liked it, but i liked The Hunger Games better, and i'm expecting a lot from Mockingjay.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
The Grand Budapest Hotel. Liked it much better than Wes Anderson's last film.
TOS posted:
watchmen -- the ultimate yadda yadda yadda version with the animated bits thrown in

always liked the movie, thought it did a pretty good job of representing the original graphic novel

but damn if there isn't just something missing, some quality, i dunno

the woman in it was pretty hopeless, maybe that was it, or maybe it was just hiring so many unknown actors?

Malin Akerman.

When the film premiered, she took, as her guest, her father.

WTF. Did she totally forget the low gravity naked stick fiddling scene she was in? How awkward would that have been??

Went to see Edge of Tomorrow last night. Great movie that is a sort of combination between Independence Day and Groundhog Day. I had some issues with the ending, but I think I've wrapped my brain around how it all fell out.
BTW they didn't hire all unknown actors for Watchmen.

Carla Gugino
Matt Frewer
Malin Akerman
Jackie Earl Haley
Billy Crudup

and lastly, but definitely not least

Jeffrey Dean Morgan.
dv
dv posted:
...who? :p

:p :lol:
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Sanctum, followed by Inception.

As an aside, Inception still gives me hope that Intersteller will not only not suck, but might actually be good.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107 ... 195